Smart Meters Going To Screw You...

I haven't been offered a smart meter yet, but they did contact me concerning smart meter information. its coming soon maybe?

you have a smart meter? how long did it take for the change out?  did they need to enter your home/breaker box?  any chit chat?  I'll need two when they come

EMF causing new hair growth yet? :P

I haven't been offered a smart meter yet, but they did contact me concerning smart meter information. its coming soon maybe?

you have a smart meter? how long did it take for the change out?  did they need to enter your home/breaker box?  any chit chat?  I'll need two when they come

EMF causing new hair growth yet? :P

Takes them 1 minute to change the meter. It's like a fuse, it just plugs in.

Edited by Restorium2

they gotta turn your power off (at the pole or station)

the meter is outside usually. just pops out and pops in the new one. takes like 2 minutes i think. they knock first and tell you its coming.

Nope. They do not have to turn the power off. They just pull the meter and put in another. Your power goes off when the meter is out. There's no reason to turn the power off to switch a meter.

Right. A lot of electricians (and homeowners) will take out a meter just for safety sake while working on a service. It's no biggie.

I've done it many times as a builder in cases when the power needs to be out for safety. Just cut the seal, open the box, a quarter turn on the meter and it's out. Call the power company when you're all done, tell them you had electrical work done and they'll come out and put a new seal on.

whats up with that seal anyways?   In 2008 I had major electrical upgrades to house and home and the seal was clipped by the electrician. Meter reader comes monthly, seal still broken.

Probably didn't notice. It shouldn't cause any trouble unless your electric usage is way down, then they might suspect you are stealing power. Wouldn't hurt to let them know and ask them to come out and replace it.

• 7 months later...

anyone with a smart meter using the dte app?

anyone know if a dte customer can request smart meter to be installed?

thanks

If your a DTE customer you should already have a smart meter mine was installed almost two years ago and compared to the regular meter ive noticed no increase or decrease in my bill it hovers around $380 in the winter and $450 in the summer..

If your a DTE customer you should already have a smart meter mine was installed almost two years ago and compared to the regular meter ive noticed no increase or decrease in my bill it hovers around $380 in the winter and $450 in the summer..

smart meters lower bills?

have you adjusted your usage according to the app to attempt a savings?

do you use a smart phone as a Kill-o-Watt meter?

Never saw a smart meter, my guy reads my meters once a month with no issue. He knows exactly what I do, even walked up on me on a Saturday moring(first time sat visit) whilst a tree was being hauled out whole for harvest. He avoided eye contact, like I was wearing underwear, and on his way out he apologized. I said no problem, nobody knocks around here nymore, and he laughed, years ago, same guy now, he minds his own business. got me medicating on the veranda once too, walked right up and smiled, I didn't flinch.

no worries, I think I want a smart meter

I can understand people not wanting their electric bills to not go up.... But why is every one worried about some one coming in your home 1 time to install something, if your legal who cares?

My c.g will go sit at a farmers market every weekend till he runs all of his pt's and himself out of mm, but he wont talk on a phone to a legal pt? what me and him do between us is legal, what despenses and farm markets are doing is not (im not against any of them) I think he is an idiot, but he takes good care of me, and since I dont have my dead weight any longer I dont use no where near what I used to,,,,,I dont tell him that lol!

If people are legal and follow the rules you shouldnt have a problem!  yea yea leo's are all a-hole muscle heads, but if they arrest you and your doing nothing wrong well, it will prob cost more than the electric!

Oh shoot!  Just forget what I just wrote lol!

Peace

Get a Tesla battery for $3500 and charge it when the power is the cheapest.

For every problem there's a solution close by. 

I may be a hippy or an old codger in some eyes, but those labels make no difference if you know how to solve problems. The problem solvers rule and always will, long hair, grey hair, no hair, we are all The Survivors.

How long would it take in monthly electric bill savings to recoup the $3500 battery cost and what does it to charge the battery?

Get a Tesla battery for $3500 and charge it when the power is the cheapest.

For every problem there's a solution close by. 

I may be a hippy or an old codger in some eyes, but those labels make no difference if you know how to solve problems. The problem solvers rule and always will, long hair, grey hair, no hair, we are all The Survivors.

How long would it take in monthly electric bill savings to recoup the $3500 battery cost and what does it to charge the battery?

Excellent idea. I bet the battery would pay for itself in two years or less. You wouldn't ever have to worry about power loss. You would be ready to add a solar grid. 

I believe its been documented in the past. the information gathered from a smart meter transmission can and does get transferred into all kinds of useable marketing information. Specifically, each instance of power consumption creates a unique algorithm that is known and identified. The smart meter readers at the office know the differences between a hps bulb algorithm and one created by a fish tank pump, or an electric motor having the same power demand. The programmed reader is able to indicate the brand of refrigerator being used. do they use the info yet? if they do for what? will they ever if they don't today. all relevant questions maybe.

The programmed reader is able to indicate the brand of refrigerator being used. do they use the info yet? if they do for what? will they ever if they don't today. all relevant questions maybe.

When I bought a new electric hot water heater (yea stupid) and a new fridge they both had energy saver stickers on them, and it told how much they use.

My ole lady always wanted them stickers for tax time,  I dont know if that is what you mean or not.

I know it has nothing to do with growing, but they make it look like your electric bill will be lower,,,,I never noticed a difference!

Peace