The Environmental Impact Of Marijuana On California

zachw

Illegal outdoor grows are really fu*cking things up in California. Emerald Triangle's growers illegally diverting water in severe drought conditions, clear cutting forest area, habitats and watersheds being destroyed. Steelhead dying, salamander species dying, rare rodent species dying, alder trees dying. 

This is something like 75% of the total USA cannabis crop representing 10s of billions of $$. These growers are not peace and love hippies who want to spread the joy but money grubbers who - in the time honored tradition of capitalism - really don't give a sh*it what they do to the environment as long as they can bring in the bucks.

It's bad. Really bad. And it's getting worse. 

Edited by zachw

cali is a desert, if you want to blame growers for cali's problems, go for it.

the rest of us know that you dont build farms in the desert.

oh yeah! its the fault of marijuana!

http://www.businessinsider.com/protesters-drought-shaming-nestle-out-of-california-2015-5

nothing to do with nestle making bottled water. nope. dont even read that article.

But others have continued to bottle water despite the drought. Wal-Mart, for example, still bottles water in California, as do companies at more than 100 other plants that are still licensed to bottle water in the state.

yes, bottling water in a desert, lol.

at least when you water some plants it goes back to the earth

One more reason to legalize and move production to other states.

Agreed. Like in Michigan with our abundant water supply. 'Course since you don't have such a long outdoor growing season, you have to to use so more electricity, but this can be generated so many ways these days. Certainly not nearly the negative impact on the environment.

cali is a desert, if you want to blame growers for cali's problems, go for it.

the rest of us know that you dont build farms in the desert.

oh yeah! its the fault of marijuana!

http://www.businessinsider.com/protesters-drought-shaming-nestle-out-of-california-2015-5

nothing to do with nestle making bottled water. nope. dont even read that article.

yes, bottling water in a desert, lol.

at least when you water some plants it goes back to the earth

NO ONE has implied that it's solely the fault of marijuana and that's a glib response to a very real problem. (Yeah, I'll dump pesticides on my lawn to kill the dandelions, after all it's just a fraction of what big agra is doing.) 

There are a lot of stupid things going on in CA, including the massive planting of almond trees. They're digging 2000 feet deep in some places to get water and folks who used to drill 200 feet now can't get well water.  

"At least it goes back into the earth"?? WTF, it's being DIVERTED from critical areas!

Marijuana growing is being done completely under the radar and there is a LOT of damage being done by illegal clear-cutting and water diversion. It IS a big problem and it is getting worse.

Edited by zachw

The biggest problem with cali growers is the cartles from mexico growing in our parks, national forrests, etc,

People that have real grow farms are not rerouting creeks and rivers, they have their own wells!

The cartles dont care about our land or water, they leave battery's behind, they do build damns and mess up natural creeks!

Zach you should realy do more studying before you accuse legal growers of being the problem, I beleive you watch to much so called reality t.v!

quit killing dandelions or using any kind of ferts on your lawn if you realy care, I have well water and have to drink that crap! :yahoo-wave:

Peace

Marijuana growing is being done completely under the radar and there is a LOT of damage being done by illegal clear-cutting and water diversion. It IS a big problem and it is getting worse.

i'm sorry, i agree. cartel grows are stupid and cutting down trees is one of the most idiot things one can do.