Have Too Many Strains, How Do I Choose + Hermy Threat ?s

Blkwlf

Between my husband and myself we have far too many strains to attempt to keep going through winter. List: OG18, Acid, Apricot Cush, OG Kush, Cateract Kush, Critical Plus, Critical Sensi Star, Cheese, Dr. Who, Green Crack, Pineapple Express, Liberty Haze, Larry OG, Cherry Bomb, LSD, Kosher Kush, THC Bomb, Special White Widow, QT, Chubacka and Wookie. ( total 21 ) Obviously I can't clone them all, keep mothers to take clones from through the winter and keep our numbers in check. Currently I do have at least one clone (baby-teen) from all but THC Bomb, QT, Cheese, Special White Widow, Wookie and Acid. Hard to tell which are going to be our best producers since many are outside and have yet to produce though some are obviously much healthier than others. This could be due to early irrigation issues which caused some root rot as well as a few which began flowering early due to planting them too soon each issue causing stunted growth. ( early May which I now know is too soon ) They went straight from 24 hr light to outside which was less than 12/12 at the time of planting. Since then, my husband and I have both learned quite a bit and, though researched the various strains, are still having a difficult time deciding what to keep and what to let go of. I've considered continuing to clone and selling some of the clones but still have issue with numbers and which ones to keep and which to sell. I figure we need to wittle the number of strains down to no more than 6 especially since both my husband and I want to buy seeds to start some plants instead of strictly cloning especially for those being planted outside next year.

While trimming I noticed little pods at bottom of some buds. No seeds or pollen, just empty, funky looking pods. This concerned me a bit and thought maybe that plant had gone longer than it should and was about to hermy on me. Also, ones outside which flowered early are in full bud but not ready yet according to hair color/count but afraid leaving them out there with others beginning to flower could cause them to hermy on me. Should I pull them or just keep close eye out? I'm a Cannabis Virgin here so ANY and ALL input very welcomed.

Those "funny little pods" you speak of are nothing more than empty seed bracts - normal situation for sensimilla. I think your concerns about hermies are overblown and there isn't much you can do about it anyway. If you notice any, pinch the offending flowers out and continue on. If the situation is real bad and you fear getting a few seeds in your other plants, cut them down. It would have to be pretty extreme to justify cutting them though.

Choosing keeper plants is tough. I think that the major difference between most strains is the smell, taste and growth characteristics. Differences in highs between strains seems to me to be very subtle. Your best bet is to probably choose keepers based on growth characteristics, smell, and taste.

Keep the strains that suit all of your needs best.

I have hundreds of dna samples to choose from monthly and find

we get bored with a strain in about 6 months, so I cycle in new introductions monthly

while I remove others. fortunately they are not removed forever in most cases.

Its been a pleasure revisiting a strain once thought by us to be

"the best ever" after some time of its absence.

When I grow new ones that we never sampled I keep a record of

every aspect, seeding, cloning, flowering, vegetating characteristics etc.

The on to the real life tests--the patient med reports. Together this

will decide if the strain is a keeper or not, and if the remainder of its clones should be culled.

I never have decided to keep a finicky strain, and Blueberry is the only one I recall

encountering that often showed sexual confusion, until she was treated with Reverse. After that

her entire downline has been pure girly. I cultured her, but its not a favorite here, though pleasant tasting.

"'flowering early' due to planting them too soon.'"  ??

whoa! 

from 24 hour light inside to '12/12' in may  ??

another whoa!  mis-info to the max.

When you actually put on a calendar the hours of daylight in may and june, there's only an hour diff, and its near to 15 hours of light in both months.  12/12 outdoors occurs almost the end of sept in mi.

i know a female cg in detroit who plants clones in cloches apri 1.  now that's-early season planting.