Spinosad

trichcycler

So I saw mention of this here recently and looked into it. I bought a bottle of Monterey Sauce with this as their organic active ingredient, made from sugar/bacteria. I kept it on the shelf for awhile and read up on it. No sweat here. My sticky traps showed a population of fungus gnats taking up residence in my (indoor) composting rigs, one of them only strangely. I mixed some Sauce per directions and sprayed on the surface of the composting recycled (fruit) bits/dirt and flipped it. I near forgot about it until today. I agitated them all with a light on and

no gnats appeared. I put new traps up this morning and checked again later...still new!  This schtuff works for gnats in composting material piles for sure. I wouldn't hesitate using it per directions in my cannabis garden. Seems expensive but (quart)will last me a life time.

thought I'd share for anyone on the fence. I don't work for them, or anyone else. I never collected money for posting anything for them or anyone else ever. 

If local I'd be willing to share enough to make several gallons with someone in need for free. :)

I have been singing the praises of spinosad since it first showed up a few years back.. no one seemed to believe me,, but hey at least now  you are a believer. and it does mites just as good, and thrips, it works tops, since i used it been three years, no more nothing.. a few starving arachnids,spiders.. and i step on them..

Posted 22 August 2015 - 09:20 AM

monterey garden spray,, works like acharm for me, haven't seen a mite in three yrs and counting..its OMRI Certified as well..

willy's on his way to becoming a garden rockstar!!

many will thank him for years to come !!

I went looking for this stuff on Google and found only food recipes.

prolly not called "Sauce" lol

http://bfy.tw/1XaW

I had fungus gnats in my indoor earthworm bin. I crumbled some of a "mosquito dunk" and mixed it into the worm bed and the gnats died after I don't know how long. The compost worms were unharmed and the gnats never came back, but I stopped growing worms at some point (years ago).

Mosquito dunks are small donut-shaped sawdust-like material holding a bacteria, but a different kind than found in Spinosad. Your supposed to float the mosquito dunk in a small pond to biologically control the mosquitoes by killing them in their larval stage.

I had also successfully treated the soil in some pot growing in the basement near the infested worm bin. The gnats had moved from the worm bin to the soil, so I treated both at the same time. The crumbled mosquito dunk that I mixed into the top of the soil killed the gnats in the soil soon enough to satisfy me, so it most have worked within weeks I suppose. 

I also crumbled under a gram of a mosquito dunk into the 5-gallon bucket of water I used to water the pot plants. At that rate, one mosquito dunk can last for months. You may not need to mix any of it into the top of the soil: just use the inoculated water along with the regular nutes.

Now I read on Wikipedia that "Mosquito Dunks"/"Mosquito Bits" contain Bacillus thuringiensis serotype israelensis (Bti):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacillus_thuringiensis_israelensis

The article actually mentions that it controls fungus gnats:

Bacillus thuringiensis serotype israelensis (Bti) is a group of bacteria used as biological control agents for larvae stages of certain dipterans. Bti produces toxins which are effective in killing various species of mosquitoes, fungus gnats, and blackflies, while having almost no effect on other organisms. Indeed, this is one of the major advantages of B. thuringiensis products in general is that they are thought to affect few nontarget species.

been using those dunks on the farm for years. I do use them in the grow room. The bacteria only kills the feeding larvae.  The soil composting I treated had been treated with the dunks for the last 4 years, and I still had gnats in one bin. I do find they work perfectly to eradicate mosquito's larvae from watering tanks outdoors though. I'll still use them in the grow for good measure, I'm sure they help.  The spinosad did kill them in no time at all.

BTi dunks work by producing proteins (delta-endotoxin, the "toxic crystal") that react with the cells that line the gut of susceptible insects (there are only one or two insect orders that are susceptible to BTi, but mosquitoes are in one of those orders). The BTi proteins paralyze the insect's digestive system by binding to specific receptor sites in the insect's gut, and, as a result, the infected insect stops feeding within hours. Horses and other mammals lack those receptors, so their guts are not affected (as a point of interest, that's similar to the reason why many deworming agents work). BTi-affected insects generally starve to death, although this can take several days.

Saw recently that Colorado quarantined all meds with spinosad traces.  Tried to find the article, but could not.

Found the post...

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_28741294/denver-quarantines-marijuana-products-at-two-businesses-pesticides

Day later they claimed that it was a false positive and lifted quarantine

Edited by semicaregiver

Saw recently that Colorado quarantined all meds with spinosad traces.  Tried to find the article, but could not.

Found the post...

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_28741294/denver-quarantines-marijuana-products-at-two-businesses-pesticides

Day later they claimed that it was a false positive and lifted quarantine

Do you have the article that shows it was released as safe... Is any pesticide allowed or been tested by the government and stated safe for marijuana?

Edited by Willy

Do you have the article that shows it was released as safe... Is any pesticide allowed or been tested by the government and stated safe for marijuana?

The story is rather confusing.  Apparently the stuff was not tested by the state but had spinosad on label as possible ingredient so state quarantined.  Solved problem w/ new label w/o spinosad listed.

Curious thing is no one seems to have tested, but apparently the stuff would have been quarantined if spinosad showed up in testing.

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_28747520/denver-lifts-hold-marijuana-products-after-testing-pesticides