Secret From The City: Only 17 Disps In Detroit? Yah, Only 17 Of 179 Have

pic book

indigro: aren't you are a totally heartless one? you might try reading the thread "living on disability and surviving on it."

I'l take ignorant of the facts (over heartless)... I can certainly admit to that. Heartless is way out of character, if u knew me at all. My moms used to say... U'll never be rich, u have too much heart. And indeed, j o b over here too.

My apologies for making that assumption... Will take the time to read that thread. And do wish u well on the endeavor, no doubt about that, just didnt like the idea of calling the city for this task... Hope u can understand.

Williams 2311:  thank you for the info.  What would i do without you guys?  detroit city councilman james tate doesn't return my messages.  He doesn't represent my district and he evidently can tell i cannot vote for him just by my phone number, and the church? well I don't have any idea what  they can tell but they haven't called back either.  

It looks like saturday isn't gonna flood so saturday I'll take the mack bus number 31 and look for 17 disps just on mack ave. 

......saturday I'll take the mack bus number 31 and look for 17 disps just on mack ave. 

Not much point in going south of Alter into the inner city.

Visit the first 8 that are on the Grosse Pointe border.  I would rec'c you get off the bus at E. Warren and Mack and walk back towards downtown.   At that point there is one just a block up E. Warren and the first one on Mack is just a block S.    There are six more as you head down Mack towards downtown.   In total there are 8 from Mack/Warren to Alter.

The first one you come to on Mack claims to have won the Cup at Clio a week or two ago.  Green something or other.  Further down you have Eastside Alternative.  This was originally Big Daddy's, now it is Nick Agro of Clinical Relief fame in Ferndale.    Further down past Outer Drive you have Nature's Alternative run by Adam who also runs NPRA.   This was the showplace dispensary that the Sen. Richardville and company visited to see how a well run dispensary is set up.

Regulation of Detroit’s growing number of marijuana shops will be among a handful of issues the Detroit City Council expects to tackle when it returns today after a six-week recess.

An effort spearheaded by Councilman James Tate to set ground rules for these shops is gaining support as more marijuana dispensaries pop up across the city. Some council members are growing increasingly concerned about the violence and other nefarious activities these stores seem to be attracting.

“Glorified weed spots” is how Councilman Scott Benson referred to some of the dispensaries in his district in northeast Detroit.

Detroit police arrested two people and confiscated two firearms and drugs in a July raid at a dispensary called Detroit Medz, at Hubbell and Puritan. In early August, shots were fired during the day outside a shop called King of Budz, Benson said.

Under state law, Michiganders who possess state registry cards can legally use medical marijuana. Dozens of shops — the exact number is unknown — have opened around Detroit, but the city has no laws regulating dispensaries.

Tate is putting the finishing touches on an ordinance he has been working on for months to govern these shops.

“We have been working through recess to finalize a draft of the ordinance and look to have it introduced in September,” Tate said in a text message to the Free Press.

An early draft of proposed city regulations would require dispensaries to obtain a city-issued business license. Other recommendations included a restriction that dispensaries could not be less than 1,000 feet from each other, nor within 2,000 feet of a school, library, museum, child care center or city recreation center.

Tate has said the city needs to ensure that its many dispensaries aren’t selling marijuana to children, aren’t violating building codes and aren’t upsetting nearby residents’ quality of life.

Benson said regulations should not prohibit legitimate, responsible dispensaries from providing medical marijuana to customers in need.

“I do not want to restrict people from getting the medicine they need,” Benson said.

Marijuana dispensaries are one of several topics council members are expected to address in the coming months.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/2015/09/07/detroit-council-address-marijuana-shops-parking/71720352/

Tate has said the city needs to ensure that its many dispensaries aren’t selling marijuana to children, aren’t violating building codes and aren’t upsetting nearby residents’ quality of life.

who cares if customers have valid cards or how many of them are served by the same caregiver or if their products come from Mexican cartels. cartels could be here setting up dispensaries on every corner betting on the survivors, like they do with smugglers.  oooooweeee this is getting exciting !  Support your local dispensary folks!!!

The caregivers doing this for money are probably pizzed at the unfairness of it all.

Andre Walk, president of the 9th Precinct Community Relations Council, said the city has been too lax on cracking down on troublesome dispensaries.

“Oakland County has exercised its authority to go after these dispensaries aggressively,” he said. “Why we’re waiting, I don’t know.”

in 5 years.  in 5 years wayne county will emerge from its consent agreement with the state.  in 5 years it will have sufficient extra cash to layout funding a return to detailing a drug unit in the sherrif's department.  until then, expansion quickly and with growing force (like poly foam in a tight crack).   crack houses and meth houses and weed houses and disps have unfettered sailing...(except for robberies).  i know of 5 disps that opened storefronts in detroit this last week. they will overdo it, the market will be saturated, prices will drop, and a shakeout will endsue, ensuring that only the best location location locations survive.  Prolly a 7 year cycle from here to top to down to homeosatis in number of shops, just like the number of gas station/convenience stores is self-limiting.

Detroit's best (and only legit moves) :  impose a city tax on marijuana of thirty dollars an ounce when sold thru storefronts (commercial spaces), and impose boundaries on disp / school proximity.

Edited by pic book

i gunned the bus all over the city for 6 days and these are my findings, conclusions and prejudices:

1.  detroit has demand for tons more smelly, loud, kush than is currently available; blacks buy bud (kush, doncha know, it's all kush), whites buy concentrate.

2.  fear of everything except robbery by cops and other younger (than the owner) black males is over.

3.  motion detectors that don't report to the police is the rule; so watchdog security gets the biz.

4.  owners think the safest place for bud inventory after hours is at their mothers house or theirs, in a safe. 

5.  my product is ahead of its time and the need won't be recognized until Kim Worthy, DA, runs out of other things to prosecute.

6.  disp numbers are only 1/4 of market saturation and expansion won't slow down til wayne county finds a well-funded strong bite...the city has no teeth and no desire for teeth.  

7.  owners plan more locations and laugh at james (sh**head) tate, city councilman, and his proposed regs----city has no money to enforce and the cost of changing to another location if one is shut is so minimal due to so much avail retail space vacancy.

8.  28 yo+ black thugs have money to burn and got it from the illicit drug trade and now at this monied state of their life, see vending storefront marijuana as a safe and tame retirement behind bullet-proof glass.

Edited by pic book

a few white owners talked about putting a store into washington state but none said they see expansion into greater mi happening until after legalization in nov 2016. they say it as a foregone conclusion.  "we'll have legal."  the older, larger, posher more established disps are white owned and closed-mouth...they were done talking after saying thank you, no...i think they listen to their white attys and maybe saw me as a dea plant. 

a few white owners talked about putting a store into washington state but none said they see expansion into greater mi happening until after legalization in nov 2016. they say it as a foregone conclusion. "we'll have legal." the older, larger, posher more established disps are white owned and closed-mouth...they were done talking after saying thank you, no...i think they listen to their white attys and maybe saw me as a dea plant.

I think you have it figured out. A good client of mine came to the U.S. from Afganistan about 15 years ago with nothing. He works like a madman and bought a few tax foreclosed properties in Detriot. In one transaction he bought a riverfront property from the tax sale for $100,000 and sold it a year later to a Chinese investor for $2 million. He told me that he can drive anywhere in the Detriot residential areas and see at least three outdoor grows in two blocks. I can see why you're trying to figure out a way to grow for less. Right now in the D everyone and his brother, uncle, brother in law and his cousin's girl friend's sister is growing in Detroit. Right now in Detroit, outside downtown and mid-town, the most successful business are liquor stores. Within a couple of years, if/when Michigan legalizes MJ, 1000's of growers are going to come out of the woodwork. I won't be surprised to see quality MJ selling for $50/oz within the next three years in Deteoit. As such, the D will probably become the largest exporter of MJ in the U.S. Edited by Highlander

Thanks for the follow up Pic.

I have never been in any of the dispensaries, but from talking with friends that have been to them, your report seems to be right on.

Here on the Eastside I know have heard a number of reports about money/shadow ownership coming in from Colorado.  Also see brand building.   The one at East Warren and Mack, Green Room, won the hybrid category at the Cannabis Cup in Clio.   Another shop on Mack, Mind Right won for edibles or concentrates, not sure which, just saw their name on the list.  I saw a menu for Green Room on line where they were leveraging the Cup win to prices of 500/z.

Few if any of these businesses are legit.   I searched the State of Michigan business registration records to see who the individuals are behind some of the dispensaries.  None of six dispensaries I checked showed up either as a corporate entity or registered as a DBA (doing business as)/.