Marijuana Legalization A 'terrible Idea,' Says Gop Presidential Hopeful John Kasich

Marijuana legalization a 'terrible idea,' says GOP presidential hopeful John Kasich

http://www.mlive.com/lansing-news/index.ssf/2015/09/marijuana_legalization_a_terri.html

LANSING, MI — Marijuana legalization is a "terrible idea," according to Republican presidential candidate and Ohio Gov. John Kasich, whose home state will see a pot proposal on the ballot this fall.

"It sends mixes messages to young people about drugs," Kasich told MLive.com on Tuesday as he wrapped up a two-day swing through Michigan. "I don't think we should do that. We need to tell young people to stay off drugs."

Kasich acknowledged the distinction between marijuana and harder drugs like heroin but suggested that legalization could cloud the issue for young people.

"So some drugs are okay but others aren't? We've got kids. Why don't we just say don't do drugs, period," Kasich said.

The Ohio proposal, set to appear on the November 3 ballot, would legalize and tax recreational marijuana sales to adults 21 years and older. In a unique twist that has sparked opposition from the state Legislature, it would also limit growing operations to 10 sites controlled by investors.

Voters in Colorado, Washington, Oregon and Alaska have already approved their own recreational marijuana laws. Here in Michigan, two separate groups are collecting signatures in an attempt to put legalization measures on the ballot in 2016.

The federal government, however, continues to consider marijuana a Schedule 1 drug, a classification reserved for the most dangerous drugs with high potential for abuse. The Obama administration has generally chosen to respect the new state laws, but the next president could re-examine that approach.

"I would try to discourage the states from doing it," Kasich said when asked how he would respond if elected president. "Hopefully we'll defeat it in Michigan and Ohio, but if states want to do it ... I haven't made a final decision, but I would be tempted to say I don't think we can go and start disrupting what they've decided."

That position would put Kasich in line with a handful of other presidential candidates who have expressed personal opposition to marijuana legalization but indicated they would not interfere with state policy.

As The Hill reported Tuesday, GOP hopefuls have largely side-stepped the marijuana legalization debate this cycle as public support has grown. As of April, national polling suggested 53 percent of Americans think marijuana should be legal.

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum have taken a hard-line approach, however, saying they would crack down on state-level marijuana legalization laws.

"If you're getting high in Colorado today, enjoy it," Christie said earlier this summer in New Hampshire. "As of January 2017, I will enforce the federal laws. That's lawlessness."

On the Democratic side, front-runner Hillary Clinton has said little about marijuana legalization this year, although she previously described states as "the laboratories of democracy" and said she was watching places like Colorado.

Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders supported a decriminalization measure in his own state and has criticized the "war on drugs" but has not yet taken a formal position on legalization.

I haven't made a final decision, but I would be tempted to say I don't think we can go and start disrupting what they've decided

This reminds me of when the City of Saginaw was contemplating a ban on MMJ within the city limits about six years ago.  One of the arrogant city council members pointed out that while about 67% of voters approved MMJ in 2008, 33% opposed it, and he was there to represent the interests of the 33%.  Then someone pointed out that this council member was elected with even less than 67% of the vote and that this 'somebody' was there to represent the voters who voted against him.

Democracy much?