Will Prosecutors Call 2,000 Patients To Testify In Dispensary Cases?

t-pain

http://www.theweedblog.com/2010-2011-marijuana-dispensary-raid-cases-still-active-in-michigan-courts/

2010, 2011 Marijuana Dispensary Raid Cases Still Active In Michigan Courts

Posted by Rick Thompson at 7:00 AM on September 4, 2015

That could happen all over again, this time in St. Clair County in the Blue Water case. With 2,000 people potentially being under subpoena to arrive, the courthouse on McMorran Blvd. may not hold them all.

“This could be the largest marijuana trial in Michigan,”

Officers seized approx. 2,000 patient files when they raided the three Blue Water establishments. The prosecution could use that list to challenge if the patients were using medical marijuana they received from the Centers in the proper way and within legal requirements.

That’s a lot of people.

Attorney Tylenda says that, due to recent Supreme Court rulings, “We may have the burden of proving the marijuana use of these patients is in accordance with the Medical Marihuana Act,” he explained. “Any violation would have to be defended individually.”

When the number 2,000 was announced in Court, the news took the prosecution by surprise. “It did not look like he was happy,”

The Clinical Relief case has seen so many twists- including the law enforcers becoming the law breakers.

Oakland County Sheriff department undercover officers have a hard time keeping their jobs. At least, the ones involved in dispensary raids do. One of the interviewees pointed out that Candace Rushton, aka Candace LaForest, involved in the Clinical Relief and Big Daddy’s raids, was bounced from the force after being so drunk while driving her car ended up on the median. She was charged under the state’s Super Drunk law and lost her job.

Other key detectives named Meyers and Ferguson have been accused/convicted/implicated in numerous misdeeds, including tax evasion, improper vehicle search, lying to obtain a search warrant, etc. etc.

lots more in the article, go read it.

http://www.theweedblog.com/2010-2011-marijuana-dispensary-raid-cases-still-active-in-michigan-courts/

2010, 2011 Marijuana Dispensary Raid Cases Still Active In Michigan Courts

Posted by Rick Thompson at 7:00 AM on September 4, 2015

That could happen all over again, this time in St. Clair County in the Blue Water case. With 2,000 people potentially being under subpoena to arrive, the courthouse on McMorran Blvd. may not hold them all.

“This could be the largest marijuana trial in Michigan,”

Officers seized approx. 2,000 patient files when they raided the three Blue Water establishments. The prosecution could use that list to challenge if the patients were using medical marijuana they received from the Centers in the proper way and within legal requirements.

That’s a lot of people.

Attorney Tylenda says that, due to recent Supreme Court rulings, “We may have the burden of proving the marijuana use of these patients is in accordance with the Medical Marihuana Act,” he explained. “Any violation would have to be defended individually.”

When the number 2,000 was announced in Court, the news took the prosecution by surprise. “It did not look like he was happy,”

The Clinical Relief case has seen so many twists- including the law enforcers becoming the law breakers.

Oakland County Sheriff department undercover officers have a hard time keeping their jobs. At least, the ones involved in dispensary raids do. One of the interviewees pointed out that Candace Rushton, aka Candace LaForest, involved in the Clinical Relief and Big Daddy’s raids, was bounced from the force after being so drunk while driving her car ended up on the median. She was charged under the state’s Super Drunk law and lost her job.

Other key detectives named Meyers and Ferguson have been accused/convicted/implicated in numerous misdeeds, including tax evasion, improper vehicle search, lying to obtain a search warrant, etc. etc.

lots more in the article, go read it.

Wow! thanks and make the count 2001 i'll be there 

This news story is troublesome from a few standpoints. First and foremost, it is a foolish waste of resources to drag one patient into court, let alone, 2,000. Second, a couple of years ago I posted on this forum, warning patients who use dispensaries that they might one day get dragged into a legal proceeding. A few posters here more or less said that this concern was a red herring. I guess it wasn't such a red herring. Third, why would a patient allow a dispensary to copy their records? It should be enough for a dispensary to verify card status. If you buy cigarettes or alcohol, you show your ID. You don't get your ID copied and kept on file. The only reason for a dispensary to copy your records is to drag you into their own legal mess if/when push comes to shove. There is NO benefit for a patient to allow a dispensary to copy his/her records; it is only a CYA move on the part of the dispensary and a way for a dispensary to throw patients, if not under the bus, at least in front of the bus.

Myself, I'm a bit disappointed that dispensaries who are " only trying to help patients" would put patients in jeopardy by first copying the patient's records and then maintaining the records in such a way that law enforcement could access those records. This is a hugely irresponsible act by the dispensaries involved. I don't wish to see these dispensary owners get jailed, but they at least owe 2,000 people an apology.

I was under the impression that a patient could legally buy anywhere?

Yes. But if the patient is a material witness to a crime, they can be subpoenaed and compelled to testify. Same as if you witness a murder, your butt will end up on the witness stand, and even though you aren't on trial, who wants to deal with that hassle?

If called to testify you could always say you don't remember. "I've been having short term memory issues lately." :bong2:

You could probably use your Fifth Amendment rights also. It is illegal Federally.

You'd be putting yourself in legal jeopardy with the Feds if you testified in court that you had purchased marijuana.

If called to testify you could always say you don't remember. "I've been having short term memory issues lately." :bong2:

You could probably use your Fifth Amendment rights also. It is illegal Federally.

You'd be putting yourself in legal jeopardy with the Feds if you testified in court that you had purchased marijuana.

Good advice. In the Dryden case a few years ago, one or more of the patients plead the fifth. The judge tried for force testimony, but the witness(es) said that the judge wasn't in a position to grant federal immunity.

Better advice is to never let a dispensary make a copy of your card or paperwork.

Good advice. In the Dryden case a few years ago, one or more of the patients plead the fifth. The judge tried for force testimony, but the witness(es) said that the judge wasn't in a position to grant federal immunity.

Better advice is to never let a dispensary make a copy of your card or paperwork.

I think best advice is to stay outta them disp.

some people dont have that option.

I'll never understand why people say this.

Online ads for CG seeking patient outnumber patient seeking CG ads by at least 20 to one. I've been to a few cert clinics in the last two years who have a list of 10 or more caregivers ready to sign new patients. Even some of the grow stores I've been to have a list of caregivers with openings.

I'll never understand why people say this.

Online ads for CG seeking patient outnumber patient seeking CG ads by at least 20 to one. I've been to a few cert clinics in the last two years who have a list of 10 or more caregivers ready to sign new patients. Even some of the grow stores I've been to have a list of caregivers with openings.

what if i need some cbd but im happy with the meds my CG provides but does not deal with cbd. or what if i needed a edible and my caregiver doesnt make them? the disps offers so much more then what any legal caregiver can offer.

I also agree but most people just can't seam to understand if Dispensary's our aloud to make $$ and not face a judge then how are the prosecutors going to prosecute patients and caregivers 

Imo thats why they won't Win don't get me wrong i do not want anyone to go to jail and i will be sitting in the Court room if i can walk those  days and find someone to share a ride 

“This could be the largest marijuana trial in Michigan,”>  sorry but that has already happen 

With 2,000 people  > Lol the Courts will not be made a mockery of 

a couple reasons a patient may not be able to find a suitable caregiver;

Caregivers find it difficult to maintain a patient needing only an ounce per year, or a gram at a time, while dispensaries are all to happy to oblige.
A good cg is a discerning one, choosing only those patients compatible, while a dispensary could care less if a patient is a flaming alcoholic, anti personal, with poor hygiene, or a foul mouthed pill head.
a good caregiver may not have garden space available too often, while the least desirable ones have a revolving door, often scooping up the least desirable patients. Continued experience with the least desirable cg's could cause loss of hope to a patient.

Happy patients and happy caregivers are not often the ones complaining of dispensaries.  my observation of subpar med sales is the attraction to the user types that many caregivers would over look anyways.

a couple reasons a patient may not be able to find a suitable caregiver;

Caregivers find it difficult to maintain a patient needing only an ounce per year, or a gram at a time, while dispensaries are all to happy to oblige.

A good cg is a discerning one, choosing only those patients compatible, while a dispensary could care less if a patient is a flaming alcoholic, anti personal, with poor hygiene, or a foul mouthed pill head.

a good caregiver may not have garden space available too often, while the least desirable ones have a revolving door, often scooping up the least desirable patients. Continued experience with the least desirable cg's could cause loss of hope to a patient.

Happy patients and happy caregivers are not often the ones complaining of dispensaries.  my observation of subpar med sales is the attraction to the user types that many caregivers would over look anyways.

Thanks i'm glad you know and understand being a caregiver is more then  just growing cannabis 

if they were legal would you still be against them?

I don't think that anyone is against dispensaries per se.  The problems arise from their lobbyists who claim that any medicine purchased from a caregiver or anyone other than a dispensary is unsafe for consumption.

They are now apparently causing legal entanglements for patients, calling them to testify because of the dispensaries illegal activities and possibly getting the patients to implicate themselves in a Federal conspiracy.

It seems to me that dispensaries are geared more for the recreational user than the medical user. (Yes, there are actually recreational users who masquerade as patients, hard to believe eh?)

I generally use the equivalent of 4 to 6 grams of high quality bud every day. Spending $900 per week on meds is just not possible for me. It would probably be cheaper to switch to heroin.

If I used a joint or two a day like most recreational users do then a dispensary might be a viable option.

I've had edibles from dispensaries but they are no better than what I make at home. More convenient perhaps, but again very expensive. The only reason I got them was for a plane trip. They looked more like "store bought" candy than what I make and would be less likely to be observed in a bag check.

Edited by Wild Bill

what if i need some cbd but im happy with the meds my CG provides but does not deal with cbd. or what if i needed a edible and my caregiver doesnt make them? the disps offers so much more then what any legal caregiver can offer.

while I agree with the gist of this^^....

you would be surprised what an accomplished legal cg can provide to their patient(s). I have never seen a (local)dispensary service, quality or even consistent variety matching what my patients have enjoyed all along in my registry. my patients will never be subject to dispensary court case hearings, dirty weed of unknown origin, shady suppliers, or a raid in progress while with me.

ok i got one for ya...this actually happened to me i sign on a cg well guess what now i have to wait 21 days to try their meds your not happy because what u were shown at the meeting and what u were sold were different. now you try to find another caregiver and thats another 21 days so without a dispn. your gunna go back to the street dealer with bunny muffin meds or go to a dispensery with what u guys here call bunny muffin weed. go at minimum 40 days without meds? some people cant do that or start growing your own find the lights get started wait 4 months for a crop?

you all talk about sell to anyone that comes in the door but i hear the same people talk about if it was legal to do p2p you would.

you people only think about your situation. some people only can grow 12 might have a lost crop now they must wait 2 or 3 more months for more meds?

i ageee there are some bad dispenserys and iv been to them. poor meds bunny muffin quality but there are some with top shelf meds.

grassmatch for you to stereotype people that go to dispensery for meds are people caregivers would look over says alot about how you judge a book by its cover. there are all walks of life in the weed world iv seen every type of person in a dispensery. old people young people business people veterans people that can't get out of a wheelchair. u even said in another post you used a delivery service and it was some top shelf. whats the diff in a delivery service and a dispensery?

while I agree with the gist of this^^....

you would be surprised what an accomplished legal cg can provide to their patient(s). I have never seen a (local)dispensary service, quality or even consistent variety matching what my patients have enjoyed all along in my registry. my patients will never be subject to dispensary court case hearings, dirty weed of unknown origin, shady suppliers, or a raid in progress while with me.

if your a legal caregiver you wont provide what a dispensery does seeing as concentrate edibles and oil is all illegal to make and have.

I don't think that anyone is against dispensaries per se. The problems arise from their lobbyists who claim that any medicine purchased from a caregiver or anyone other than a dispensary is unsafe for consumption.

They are now apparently causing legal entanglements for patients, calling them to testify because of the dispensaries illegal activities and possibly getting the patients to implicate themselves in a Federal conspiracy.

It seems to me that dispensaries are geared more for the recreational user than the medical user. (Yes, there are actually recreational users who masquerade as patients, hard to believe eh?)

I generally use the equivalent of 4 to 6 grams of high quality bud every day. Spending $900 per week on meds is just not possible for me. It would probably be cheaper to switch to heroin.

If I used a joint or two a day like most recreational users do then a dispensary might be a viable option.

I've had edibles from dispensaries but they are no better than what I make at home. More convenient perhaps, but again very expensive. The only reason I got them was for a plane trip. They looked more like "store bought" candy than what I make and would be less likely to be observed in a bag check.

being a caregiver you could land you and your patients in fed court none of this is legal.