How Do You Want The Site To Be Moderated?

t-pain

The worst that would happen would be the admin getting a cease and desist letter, essentially asking them to fix the offending post. So if you get enough of these letters the admins are running around fixing posts which isn't fun.

It's not a criminal offense: its a civil offense against the copyright holder. Before quoting someone you're supposed to ask their permission unless your quote is considered "fair use".

https://janefriedman.com/the-fair-use-doctrine/

Instead of quoting the whole article or first asking permission, it's safer (and more polite) to either:

- mention what's in the article in our own words

- quote only brief excerpts

Has Admin ever received a cease and desist letter from a copyright  holder here ?

I thought this applied to selling info, claiming ownership etc, not discussion, reporting, criticism and such.

Mario Sergio Golab

Intellectual Property Law Attorney says:

"Information that is in public records, or has been posted by the owner voluntarily for all public to see, may be used, arranged, and disseminated without problems. Think phone books.

Just as a practical note. There always seem to be a quirk that the information is not exactly public, or exactly re-posted in the same form and thus you end up with defamation law suit."

I want a cease and desist letter, and will continue to copy past news stories, informative growing articles and scientific studies too. :P found this bit "“In U.S. almost everything created privately and originally after April 1, 1989 is copyrighted and protected “automatically”. Explicit copyright is not necessary." brave new world, we've arrived!

Edited by grassmatch

Congrats Imi. I'm sure you will do well.

Re: the op, if this in any way resembles the suggestion to write a wiki, it is a waste of time. There were several here who got geeked about it, suggested methods and that they were dedicated to the project, only to contribute nothing. For anyone who suggests any change in moderation without any real expectation to follow up, please just can it now. Regarding posts, there have already been terabytes of conversation deleted, and I think it not only unnecessary, but unproductive. If and when a poster has become a problem, the management has been on top of things, or sometimes brought to them kicking and screaming, and booted that individual to applause. Leaving the offensive text as a friendly reminder to anyone who would become unduly offensive is instructive. Cleaning up useless fluff is welcome enough, but anything substantive or wildly amusing should stay. I find zap a reasonable, helpful, and inspiring admin, and find his judgment pretty good. Some choices of mods have gone sour because the pool to choose from has not always been good. It is very often difficult to find and keep good, capable people in any endeavor.

And turn off the cuss filter. We find our way around it anyhow.

Since you asked.

Edited by GregS

Heh "fornicator". While we speak about edited threads, I'd kinda like it if we can swear without the automatic editor taking over.

yea you just need to do this phaquetoo = f u ck you too! :yahoo-wave:

Bawahahahahaha!

Peace

edit= I have no problem with this reply getting deleted lol!

Thanks Highlander, mal your ok too, I do wake up on the wrong side of the bed occasionaly lol!

Edited by phaquetoo

Has Admin ever received a cease and desist letter from a copyright holder here ?

I thought this applied to selling info, claiming ownership etc, not discussion, reporting, criticism and such.

Mario Sergio Golab

Intellectual Property Law Attorney says:

"Information that is in public records, or has been posted by the owner voluntarily for all public to see, may be used, arranged, and disseminated without problems. Think phone books.

Just as a practical note. There always seem to be a quirk that the information is not exactly public, or exactly re-posted in the same form and thus you end up with defamation law suit."

I want a cease and desist letter, and will continue to copy past news stories, informative growing articles and scientific studies too. :P found this bit "“In U.S. almost everything created privately and originally after April 1, 1989 is copyrighted and protected “automatically”. Explicit copyright is not necessary." brave new world, we've arrived!

It's an intellectual property rights issue: the author expects to be the only person who can reproduce his copyrighted material without first getting permission.

Suppose someone on MMMA makes a good post that gets referenced and linked to, driving folks to the MMMA site. If someone on another board merely posts the whole article tho, there is little reason for someone to click on the link and actually visit the MMMA site, depriving the author and this site their well-deserved recognition, acknowledgement and site hit (in Google site ranking statistics).

If someone actually visits MMMA, they may stick around or contribute to the site (by donating money, patronizing  an advertiser, joining MMMA and/or posting here). So, if you feel strongly about it either way, you at least know why I'm bothering to write this post. It's more to inform than to shame or coerce you.

no worries, I use quotations and author/links too. some humans' dna is already owned by an entity, for the genetic modifications the dna has caused, and possible uses for it later. I heard auto makers will pursue this one day also. Using a chip will void a warranty and may be a copyright/patent infringement also. They say we don't actually own the intellectual properties within our vehicles' electronics, they do.

Thanks everyone.  I was hoping to work in the back ground unoticed :)

I am not a referee and hope to never need to 'moderate' any member ever.

I stepped up to assist in organizing, fixing broken links and the likes.

Data and details are my thing.

It is my opinion that we should all be accountable for ourselves and behave

respectfully.  On the rare occasion that someone acts inappropriately...

there are enough other forum leaders to handle this as it arises.

I prefer to keep the cuss filter. At any given time, there are approx.40 -100 guests

visiting the site.  I don't want to offend anyone into not returning. 

HOWEVER, I would like to come up with some more 'creative' cuss word replacements :)

I'd like to see the site moderated in a surrealistic manner, in the style of André Breton.

Pure psychic automatism by which it is intended to express, either verbally or in writing, the true function of thought.

Thought dictated in the absence of all control exerted by reason, and outside all aesthetic or moral preoccupations.

Or would that be too much like Fox news?

My personal opinion is that this place needs to be modded fairly. No more playing favorites. It seems that a few on here get away with disparaging others and making threats and others are publicly shamed for posting quotes or links to relevant cannabis info.

Non-censored threads should be uncensored. And perhaps a user could receive an explanation of how and why their post I'd being removed.

I recall when my posts were unilaterally removed by zap. No rules broken, no attacks on any individual, many engaged users. I though it was a glitch for the first hour. Problem....zap didn't like the title. He could have easily asked me to change the title or even the content. Other mods had no problem and said as much. Instead of having a conversation about it, we removed a real and useful conversation. I still haven't donated, but now the reason is not money, it's the mods on this forum. To be fair, it's a minority of mods. Most of you do great work. Thanks.

Edited by suneday11

now that imiubu has the reigns things round here should change ! :jig:

thanks for the honesty suneday11.. you can only imagine why some members are granted privy in this forum.

And no worries. Your money is coming mmma. Just got hf off my donkey and a good deal on kelp. I only mean to call out zap a little. I know you put in a ton of work and deal with a lot of bs. Thanks.