A House On The Block Of One Of My Houses Has Gone Vacant And Happens

pic book

to have attached to it a hoop house 40 x 30, 7 foot high in quite good shape with fans and heaters. Now, knowing detroit it will be salvaged for metal scrap within a week so i'm trying to decide if it would be a good idea to save elec and use natural light for flowering the next cycle, or if the sunlight this time of year is good enuf only if supplemented by elec light?  i'd be flowering oct 16 to dec14.  they grew tomatoes and table veggies, and complained that after the end of october they got scrawny tomatoes and blamed the weak sunlight.  now in july it would be a no-brainer to use the hoop,but would only stupid brains use it now?

depends on the sunrise sunset. also, going to be temp drop so expect purps and slow growth.

you going to grab it, pic book? don't want it being scrapped. I think I already know.

as for elec, try just a cfl or t5 to keep the plants awake at night/morn? I mean, worth a shot to get one more harvest, right? gonna be a long winter.

winter is coming. seeds are cheap. Got any bag seed?

sufficient heat is not an issue, as they had the utils hacked and did not bother to shut them off.  that includes a separate forced air gas furnace on thermostat control for the hoop house, which they kept heated to 78f year-round.  the only issue is:  is there is sufficient sunlight oct 16 to dec 14 to make good buds??  according to them, after the end of oct it wasn't good enuf to make the cherrry tomatoes they favored for salad and sold at eastern market and handed out to neighbors for free.   only lettuce and bok choi and other salad greens did well in late fall. 

maybe weed has lower sunlight requirements than cherry tomatoes? i don't know, and am hoping someone on here knows the definitive answer before i waste two foot vegges and wind up with runny, scrawny loofs.   will the avail sunlight make good buds?  i could move the vegges into the hoop house now and save elec but they will stop veg and flip to flower tomorrow due to the short day length. I don't think critical kush at 9 inches will result in more than a few grams, not my goal weight.

by the way, the seeds were from barney's farm, not generally known as a vendor of bag seed, ha ha.  (that title belongs to the vendor of auto fem deep cheese, which after 170 days of 12/12 still was in veg).  hoo ha.  I executed her and the pot with a machete.

Edited by pic book

hacked power currently?    with the amount of police contact you've had in your immediate area recently?..... this is bad news for a marijuana grower such as yourself possibly? 

may as well start the gofundmecom account right now :P

there will not be enough sunlight to photosynthesize properly. they will grow of course, but I think you want more than just growth.

I cant imagine being popped for stealing power for a  grow of a bunch of sickly skinny schwag.

why not put a ballast inside of the house and finish them?

there will not be enough sunlight to photosynthesize properly. 

knowledge from personal experience or drawing only on mere opinion?  i haven't tried flowering cannabis outdoors under plastic under sun oct 16 to dec 14.  an instructor in horticulture at a local college (and grow consultant who frequently travels to colorado to advise disps/grows), says it works well until dec 1, when you feed in co2 at a HIGH rate, like 2800 ppm----you say no.  what i'm seeking is actual failure or success from someone who has has d o n e it.  has stretched the plastic and t r i e d it.  i don't want to be the first.  I don't want a failure if there is concrete, knowable evidence of failure to be found, which is what i am trying to unearth. i think this is about to be universally important as with legalization a lock to occur in michigan, only the lowest-cost producers will survive, and those who eliminate elec as much of the year as possible will have a great cost advantage.

orange crush, someone says, they flowered orange crush in nov and got results equal to indoors.  but then i looked up orange crush and it is listed as a known 'low-light' strain.  so i am thinking maybe some diff between strains?

HELP.

Edited by pic book

growing things in greenhouses over Michigan winters.

get some fruits, peppers and tomatoes, but not many and smaller, weaker plants.

that's why I suggested growing bag seed

well, my experiments were carried out before I became a "master gardener", so probably I could get better results now. I'm always growing under shade trees, no problem with growing big tomatoes. Just problems with squirrels taking nibbles because I forget to give them some water tubs.

low light is a myth imo, just look at people growing in computer cases or barrels using cfl. Just expect smaller buds with less light.

knowledge from personal experience or drawing only on mere opinion?  i haven't tried flowering cannabis outdoors under plastic under sun oct 16 to dec 14.  an instructor in horticulture at a local college (and grow consultant who frequently travels to colorado to advise disps/grows), says it works well until dec 1, when you feed in co2 at a HIGH rate, like 2800 ppm----you say no.  what i'm seeking is actual failure or success from someone who has has d o n e it.  has stretched the plastic and t r i e d it.  i don't want to be the first.  I don't want a failure if there is concrete, knowable evidence of failure to be found, which is what i am trying to unearth. i think this is about to be universally important as with legalization a lock to occur in michigan, only the lowest-cost producers will survive, and those who eliminate elec as much of the year as possible will have a great cost advantage.

orange crush, someone says, they flowered orange crush in nov and got results equal to indoors.  but then i looked up orange crush and it is listed as a known 'low-light' strain.  so i am thinking maybe some diff between strains?

HELP.

Not just "smaller buds". Proper photosynthesis will not occur. This will leave resulting plant material lacking in EVERY way, not just size. Plant material will be locked with metals and nutrients, brix readings will be erratic, plants will suffer, buds will taste like schwag...all that with the best of intentions and skills.

Personal experience dictates my answer to your quandary.

In fairness you mentioned nothing of augmented c02 levels until now.

Know your plants will grow only to their weakest resource(Lieblig)

double downing on one of those resources will not in any way supplement another.

Sunshine is sunshine, c02 is c02. (I am curious what else could replace par lighting value, nutrients, water??)

I have managed nursery greenhouse, as well as my own -on site-, with both cannabis and fruits and veggies growing year round.

There are a few varieties of veggies that will adapt poorly to low light conditions, but not cannabis--with that said...like I said before, cannabis will grow all year in a heated greenhouse, I've done it, at a heating expense of 600$ per month-propane/wood/coal- subpar cannabis is the result.

Anon internetters vs College educated Horticulturist who travels from one weed country to another and says no issues with winter flowering right? trust the professor, plant that seed, post your results.

know that you're results may not even apply to another's also. like the low light planting guy says "no problem" we've heard it a million times...."I use 10 FL's and I got the bomb!"///whatever....guess it might depend on an individual's definitions of

"Flowering"

"Flourishing"

"Finishing"

"The Bomb"

"Worthwhile"

"Quality"

"Medical"

good luck staying private with supplemental lighting and cannabis growing inside a clear greenhouse in the D...

your plan is riddled with disaster picbook. right from the start it begins with stolen power. If I were you I'd bark up another tree for best results.

Edited by grassmatch

Ive tried growing veges over the winter in my greenhouse, its pretty much a waste of effort for things like peppers tomatoes ect. Anything that has to fruit wont in the winter sun. Things like carrots radishes potatoes  and lettuce will eventually grow but its about 3 times the normal time. I will say the carrots ect are the sweetest Ive ever tasted.

So I doubt you would get much bud growth without some extra lighting

he said he has free heat inside the greenhouse. I've personally seen mj plants with snow on them in December. They "finished" just ok, like most of what I've sampled from an outdoor mj grow (MI).   There is a sweet spot in the summer for awesome flowering, but late season mj growing is an invitation to fungus, poor fruiting, etc.

Beourbud does this(or at least did) and I bet he has some great insight on the subject.  I think he has taken outdoor mi mj to the ends and has got it down to a science.

i would use the hoop next door to do sun-only, but conclusively sun-only won't work so the hoop is available to anyone. pm me and i'll give you the address. 

A grower in colo in the rocky mountains that the prof put me in touch with used sun-only his first winter and had his realtor send me dozens of pics of the construction and operation of his greenhouse.  his first winter virtually yielded zilch cause he used sun-only. those pics are titled hall of shame.  now he uses panda film blocking supplemental light from leaving the ghouse 3 pm to 9 pm.  auto unrolled at 3 pm and auto removed before 9 am.  3 pm to 9 pm he runs 1000 sodiums at 60 wpsf, with co2 supplementation.

and with that set-up he shows high times centerfold buds.

his ghouse in colo and the land it's on is listed for sale.  no, i'm, not moving.  he is, for job security, state pension and benefits and less state scrutiny!!!!

btw:  in april he begins growing in a warehouse for the state of washington.  $145K a year and state of WA benefits.

I knew somebody had the definitive answers but finding them took networking across 3 sites and 4 states, and one realtor.

Edited by pic book

....as if you'll invest all this into a vacant lotted ripped utility lot to grow your marijuana....

panda film blocking supplemental light from leaving the ghouse 3 pm to 9 pm. auto unrolled at 3 pm and auto removed before 9 am. 3 pm to 9 pm he runs 1000 sodiums at 60 wpsf, with co2 supplementation.

that's not the questions you were asking. with all this fiasco why not put the same effort into your own indoor room anyways?

i asked if fall sun for plants under plastic was enuf?  I got pic and video evidence from a colo grower who found sun isn't enuf after nov 1.  i reported his pics and experience, and detailed the devices he found necessary to make up for fall and winter sun deficits.  I believe the mmj world is a better place for his original knowledge.  anyone disagree?

The answer is a definite..It depends.

I have flowered to finish both Indicas and Sativas into late fall.

Some years there is sufficient sun but most times not.

Indicas have a better chance because of their shorter flowering stage but when we get good sun the Sativas will finish as well.

Another factor is genetics. the Indicas are more resilient than some of the hybrids. I have had strong Indicas finish while some hybrids will go to seed.

Another consideration is the maturity and health of the plant going into flower. A larger robust plant will tolerate environmental changes better than a 2 ft plant. IMO the larger plant/root mass has a reserve of energy from which to draw during adverse conditions. The little guy, not so much.

With an outdoor grow you put your plants out as soon as weather permits in the spring. Remember, folk in the southern parts of the state can get their plants out weeks sooner than us farther north. If we can't get the plants out soon enough we chance our flowering stage will be to short so that's why we would flower late. The plants (here) started to flower August 18 this year. If we get the plants in early spring, no worries, the plant will be robust and healthy enough for advers conditions and will finish around mid October for Indicas and late oct to November for Sativas .

The 2 ft plants pic says he is working with will definitely go right to flower but they may be to delicate, unstable genetics, Sativas Dominant or going into an environment without sufficient sun.

On the other hand, if we have a good sunny fall and he can maintain a happy environment they will do fine.

Pic wants a definitive answer but there is none. Each op is different and if you ask a farmer who has sufficiently worked his field and planted the best seed if he will get a good harvest all he can honestly say is, "we will have to wait to see"

There are a lot of factors and variables at play and each has a profound impact on the outcome.

We have a lot of farmers around here but most take thier lead from the long timers who know how to read nature and work with it rather than try to control and manipulate it. If you work with nature she will do all the heavy lifting.

Hope this is helpful.

so there prolly is definitely a chance for sun-only flowering under plastic oct 16--dec14!?!?!?  and 1 in 3 chance of good buds.

the 2 footers are 100% indica (og kush x critical mass).  as for health and vigor, these are the thickest-stems shortest-nodes, rife-with-excess-foliage plants i've ever vegged.  beside it, other strains look like bare stems. i think i am going to find out about the stability of barney's farm critical kush quite soon, cause ur definitely sometimes positive experience is enuf to chance trying sun-only under plastic. yes, the post was helpful.  10+

Edited by pic book

Not a fan of plastic.but if you can keep the snow and ice off and keep it warm and dry.

I hope we have sunshine till Christmas.  But its not likely

With full sun thru nov the day is still  long enough and the night is long enough. to put everything into flower with min to zero growth along with night time temps around 50  you should produce some sweet earthy nectar notes.  Harvest at your discretion or until signs of  bud degradation.  

for the record, not on board with the overall plan