Cracking Down On Drugged Driving

bobandtorey

A new bill would give police the ability to use a swab kit to test suspected drugged drivers on the road. 

"The officer will take this clean device, it has a little sponge on it and read all the rights and then simply ask the person to open their mouth and in - out, out it in the container. The scienceicon1.png is there to tell the officer exactly what you're on, whether you're high on marijuana, cocaine, heroin," explained Senator Rick Jones (R - Grand Ledge). 

He's been pushing the bill for three years; and says, the State Police crime labicon1.png has finally approved a pilot program. 

"They will select 3 counties to start it in and then over time, it will be phased into the entire state," the Senator said. 

"Just like any other piece of equipment that police use, we always like to vet technologyicon1.png before we roll it out statewide," Sgt. Amy Dehner of the Michigan State Police explained. 

She said the officer will still conduct the field sobriety tests and a blood test will eventually take place, but this technology will be huge. 

Sgt. Dehner explained, "That will just further the officer's probable cause at the scene in the event that they feel that this driver's impaired in order to make an arrest."

Which MSP says they're seeing more often. In 2014, there were 87 fatal accidents caused by a person driving while high on marijuana. 

"We're very concerned, I think especially because of the legislation that's entertaining expanding medical marijuanaicon1.png," Sgt. Dehner said. "We don't want to be caught in a situation where we're trying to be proactive after something is already rolled out and we get caught behind the eight ball on it."

But Defense Attorney Mike Nichols said it's a waste of taxpayer dollars. He fears the tool isn't going to be effective. 

"Many people, too many people, are gonna believe okay this will help clear me if you haven't used THC in 3 days. That's not necessarily the case," Nichols said. "The problem with it is it's highly sensitive but not very selective."

Nichols said police should stick to the usual blood test. 

If approved, the bill would just allow a pilot program, which State Police said will show if the technology is going to be effective. 

Michigan would join 12 other states testing the swab kit. 

But, at the same time as lawmakers are looking to crack down on drugged driving, they're also trying to make it easier to get medicalicon1.png marijuana. 

The House passed bills allowing dispensaries to re-open and allowing them to sell edible forms of medical marijuana. 

The State also wants to create a 3% tax on the sale marijuana. That would be in addition to the regular 6% sales tax. 

Democratic Senator Curtis Hertel says he plans to voteicon1.png 'yes' when the bills come up. 

"I think the voters have spoken on that. I think that we have to make sure that we have a system that allows law enforcement and local governmenticon1.png to regulate their areas, but also provides proper protections for the citizens. And, I think that that's what this bill does," he said. 

We don't know exactly when the bills will come up for a vote, but Senator Hertel expects it to happen fairly soon.

http://www.wilx.com/home/headlines/Cracking-Down-on-Drugged-Driving-331475152.html?ref=152