Cushingberry Wants Changes To Weed Dispensary Rules

bobandtorey

Detroit Councilman George Cushingberry Jr. wants to loosen certain aspects of proposed regulations for the city's medical marijuana dispensaries.

Rather than a previously proposed 2,000-foot limit, Cushingberry wants dispensaries to be able to operate within 500 feet of each other. His zoning limits would restrict dispensaries within 500 feet of a church as opposed to the previously proposed 1,000-foot limit.

Cushingberry also wants to allow drive-through sales at dispensaries — a convenience that would be banned under more restrictive regulations proposed last month by Councilman James Tate.

The Detroit City Council will continue its debate over new marijuana dispensary regulations at a public hearing at 10 a.m. on Monday at the Coleman A. Young Municipal Center.

Cushingberry, the council's second-ranking member, said his changes would be less of a burden on police resources, which should be directed at thousands of drug houses rather than medical marijuana dispensaries.

635613544050873427-deal-020414-kpm-178.jBuy Photo

George Cushingberry Jr. (Photo: Detroit Free Press)

"Where is our outrage about the 5,000 heroin, cocaine and illegal weed houses?" Cushingberry said in an interview. "I'd rather have a marijuana facility than a boarded-up building."

The rapid proliferation of marijuana dispensaries throughout the city and a few violent incidents near some of the shops has pushed the City Council to figure out a way to rein in the industry, which is unregulated in the city. A study published last week said there are 148 dispensaries in Detroit. Prior to the report's release, city officials did not know how many of the shops existed in the city limits.

Tate has said his proposal is not designed to shut down all dispensaries. But he wants to address concerns from residents who are uncomfortable living close to the pot shops.

Tate's proposed regulations would set a process for licensing dispensaries and regulating where they can be located. Under the ordinances:

- Existing medical marijuana shops would have to get a license or be shut down.
- Operators would be subject to a police background check.
- Drive-through service would be prohibited.
- Dispensaries could not be within 1,000 feet of a school, religious institution or public park, or within 2,000 feet of another dispensary.

The debate over Detroit's marijuana dispensaries comes as state lawmakers also tackle the issue. The Michigan House of Representatives passed bills last week to regulate the production and sale of medical marijuana, in both smokable and non-smokable forms. The new legislation would subject medical marijuana sales to a 3% excise tax and the state's 6% sales tax.

If the Senate also passes the bills, Cushingberry said the taxes on medical marijuana could provide revenue for Detroit.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/detroit/2015/10/11/cushingberry-wants-changes-weed-dispensary-rules/73743128/

Concerned Detroiters who cringe at the rapid spread of marijuana dispensaries and medical card-holders who rely on the product for treatment packed a public hearing today to debate proposed regulations of the city's medical marijuana industry.

The Detroit City Council is considering a proposal that includes a way to license the city's approximately 150 medical marijuana shops. The proposal also has zoning restrictions on how close they can operate near schools, churches and other dispensaries.

Eunice Gantt, a lifelong Detroiter, said the growing number of marijuana dispensaries hurts the city's reputation.

“I’m concerned about the fact there’s so many dispensaries here when you look at other cities," Gantt said. "We are becoming a laughing joke.”

Several others at the hearing said they feel safe buying at medical marijuana dispensaries, which often have a security guard on site. Traditional pharmacies and gas stations can be more dangerous, supporters said.

“There is a security guard there who is able to handle any situation that may come upon me,” Pamillian McNary said. "When I go to (the drug store), I don’t know what will happen to me.”

Detroit council members agree that some sort of rules need to be put in place. But a consensus is lacking on the regulations' details.

Councilman James Tate introduced his proposal last month. In addition to a licensing process, it would prohibit drive-through service and prevent dispensaries from staying open around the clock. Dispensaries could not be within 1,000 feet of a school, religious institution or public park, or within 2,000 feet of another dispensary, under Tate's proposal.

The Detroit  planning commission is scheduled to discuss the proposed zoning restrictions at its meeting on Thursday. Today's public hearing dealt with the licensing portion of Tate's proposal.

Tate said he's not trying to shut down all dispensaries.

“This is not a witch hunt as it was characterized," he said. "This is really a pathway for individuals who need medical marijuana to have that access -- safe access.”

Over the weekend, Councilman George Cushingberry Jr. said he wants to propose alternative rules. Cushingberry, the council's second-ranking member, wants less restrictive zoning and to allow dispensaries to operate drive-through services. He also suggested the city wait to deal with the issue until after the state Senate votes on bills to regulate the production and sale of medical marijuana.

“I agree we have to have some regulations," Cushingberry said at the hearing. "It’s just I don’t want to put them all out of business.”

For many residents at today's meeting, the sheer number of the dispensaries in Detroit is alarming. They see several of the pot shops opening along 8 Mile Road near strip clubs and bars. The suburbs don't tolerate the dispensaries, yet they are opening at a fast pace in Detroit, said Tony Russell, a bishop at New Covenant of Peace World Impact Ministries on Van Dyke Road.

"We need somebody at the table in the city of Detroit saying, 'this can't happen here,'" he said.

Jamaine Dickens, a consultant working with 420 Dank, a dispensary on Gratiot Avenue with drive-through service, said the stores are getting a bad rap. Dickens said the shops are providing legal medicine to people with illnesses. He said there have only been a few shootings in recent years involving dispensaries.

"As a lifelong Detroiter, I can tell you I expect more than three shootings at gas stations and coney islands in one month," he said.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/2015/10/12/detroiters-advocates-pack-medical-marijuana-hearing/73817428/

The Detroit City Council today approved a set of licensing regulations for the city's booming medical marijuana industry. A separate set of zoning rules about where the pot shops can operate in the city is still being discussed.

Councilman James Tate said it's the city's responsibility to address residents' concerns about the marijuana dispensaries. He said the licensing rules allow people to receive their medicine.

“Right now, there’s no ordinance to allow for these places to exist,” Tate said. "That compassion is there...because it allows these facilities to exist.”

The council voted 6-1 to approve the licensing rules. The ordinance won't take effect until the zoning portion of the marijuana regulations is decided.

Under the licensing ordinance, existing medical marijuana shops would have to get a license or be shut down. There are about 150 in the city now. Operators of the shops would be subject to a police background check and drive-through service would be prohibited. The ordinance also sets an inspection process.

Councilman George Cushingberry Jr., who cast the lone "no" vote, said the council rushed the vote. He said he wanted to submit amendments but didn't have time since Monday's public hearing. Cushingberry repeatedly tried to offer amendments to the ordinance at today's meeting but was ruled out of order.

“Nobody seems to have any compassion for the people who have to receive this medicine," Cushingberry said. "What is the rush?”

Other council members said there has been ample time to draft amendments.

“We owe it to the citizens of Detroit to answer to their concerns,” Councilwoman Janee Ayers said. "This is not something that happened overnight.”

Councilmembers Mary Sheffield and Scott Benson were absent from the vote.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/2015/10/13/detroit-council-passes-rules-marijuana-shops/73862866/

• 2 weeks later...

The new Ordinance would restrict signage and require it to be removed after property is abandoned.  It would allow a single caregiver to dispense medical marijuana to their five allotted patients under state law, and that is it.

http://www.theweedblog.com/a-breakdown-of-detroits-proposed-medical-marijuana-distribution-ordinance/

The new Ordinance would restrict signage and require it to be removed after property is abandoned.  It would allow a single caregiver to dispense medical marijuana to their five allotted patients under state law, and that is it.

http://www.theweedblog.com/a-breakdown-of-detroits-proposed-medical-marijuana-distribution-ordinance/

They got The Memo. 

one cg/five patients that is what you have posted many times i agree but what about someone coming here to visit with a card form another State that we accept ?

maybe. I didn't write the law, nor do I need to somehow make it work for everyone wishing to use cannabis. The law I voted for said clearly I could grow for and serve up to five qualifying patients only after I sent in our joint application to be approved. I don't meet people with cards from other states, so this has never affected me. If I did, I would not supply them with cannabis until they had a MI card with my name on it.

I agree, the gray areas do exist, but strangely they don't need to apply to most of us patients and caregivers in order to gain a positive experience in the program fortunately. how many people registered > how many people in court =/+/- how many of them experiencing gray areas being defined positively as a result?

Are you suggesting that they all do that?

now how could anyone rightfully suggest that they ALL do anything, except sell pot to passerby's when the cops are not around. pfffffff

only some of them right....mmmmkkkkkk

if they cared to verify the validity of the cards first(like cg's do with LARA) could this happen ?

Do the caregivers that you know ever  consider selling to an uncarded person including the teens or outside of their patient cards?

Do the illegal/black market dealers you know think twice about selling to a teenager from the street?  ALL of the illegal black market  drug dealers I've known of had no scruples selling to teens and people who were not legally permitted to use the drugs .

With the beautiful system in place to verify cards I see the only reason to conduct mass sales in the open is to make tons of cash!  Without mass cash would the philanthropist healer good Samaritans be continuing their good work without plea bargains?   I see they repeatedly attempt to usurp our laws to make tons of cash...... but lets be honest about exactly what they are doing aye?

now how could anyone rightfully suggest that they ALL do anything, except sell pot to passerby's when the cops are not around. pfffffff

if they cared to verify the validity of the cards first(like cg's do with LARA) could this happen ?

Do the caregivers that you know ever  consider selling to an uncarded person including the teens or outside of their patient cards?

Do the illegal/black market dealers you know think twice about selling to a teenager from the street?  ALL of the illegal black market  drug dealers I've known of had no scruples selling to teens and people who were not legally permitted to use the drugs .

With the beautiful system in place to verify cards I see the only reason to conduct mass sales in the open is to make tons of cash!  Without mass cash would the philanthropist healer good Samaritans be continuing their good work without plea bargains?   I see they repeatedly attempt to usurp our laws to make tons of cash...... but lets be honest about exactly what they are doing aye?

Am thinking 

It never ends with you. But hey to each his own I guess............ Wow..........

Edited to answer some of your questions. I don't know of any cg's that can verify with LARA the validity of any cards short of the ones they are registered to. Please do share this ability.

I am not talking about street dealers. I am talking about dispensaries. I know I know you do not view them as any different. I certainly do not assume that even a majority of them sell to people without a card but it is clear what your view is.

Edited by ozzrokk

I have been to at least a dozen dispensary's in the last several years and have never been admitted without hard card and i.d.
Places that know my face still want to see card and i.d but
What kind of idiot opens a 24 hour drive through dispensary two blocks from the police station.
When the dispensary's close i guess customers will have to search out some kids on the street corner to buy from like before they opened.

The Detroit City Planning Commission is holding a public hearing on proposed medical marijuana zoning regulations at 5:30 p.m. Thursday at the Coleman A. Young Municipal Center, 2 Woodward Ave.

The planning commission could vote at the meeting to recommend approval of the ordinance by the Detroit City Council at a future meeting.

The zoning proposal would restrict medical marijuana caregiver centers within 1,000 feet from schools, parks and churches, and 2,000 feet from other caregiver centers or businesses with a "controlled use" permit, including party stores with liquor licenses.

The proposed zoning ordinance is part of the City Council's effort to regulate Detroit's growing number of unlicensed medical marijuana dispensaries. There are about 150 such dispensaries operating inside the city limits, according to a report released earlier this month.

The Detroit City Council approved on Oct. 13 companion legislation to the proposed zoning ordinance. The council approved new rules for licensing medical marijuana caregiver centers. Under the new rules, the marijuana shops will have to get a city license or be shut down. Operators of the shops would be subject to a police background check, and drive-through service would be prohibited. The ordinance also sets an inspection process and prohibits shops from staying open 24 hours a day.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/detroit/2015/10/28/medical-marijuana-detroit-city-council-regulation-hearing/74764022/

The licensing rules won't be effective until after the council votes on the zoning ordinance to be debated Thursday.

Concerned Detroiters spoke out against medical marijuana shops at a public hearing Thursday night and pleaded with city officials to implement new regulations to stifle the industry's growth.

"There's some way we have to control it because this is like an invasion," longtime Detroit resident Nancy Bitzarakis said at the hearing.

Bitzarakis was among several residents who spoke at the city Planning Commission's hearing at a near-capacity city hall auditorium, with most supporting a crackdown on the marijuana dispensaries. Residents described an ever-increasing number of dispensaries opening up near their neighborhoods, inviting undesirable activities -- people smoking joints in parking lots, for example -- and an atmosphere damaging to children.

Several marijuana advocates also attended the meeting to remind city officials about the substance's medical benefits.

Marcea Bright, 41, said she was diagnosed with breast cancer two years ago and relies on medical marijuana for pain relief, nausea and sleep deprivation. Bright said she was worried that the zoning proposal, if approved, would make it more difficult for her to get treatment.

“You’re talking about a natural herb, not a man-made drug," said Bright, who lives in northwest Detroit. "Think about the patients when you make your decision.”

The commission had the option to forward the zoning proposal to the City Council for consideration in the near future.

The zoning proposal would restrict medical marijuana caregiver centers within 1,000 feet from schools, parks and churches, and 2,000 feet from other caregiver centers or businesses with a "controlled use" permit, including party stores with liquor licenses.

The proposed zoning ordinance is part of the council's effort to regulate Detroit's growing number of unlicensed medical marijuana dispensaries. There are about 150 such dispensaries operating inside the city limits, according to a report released earlier this month.

Pam Weinstein of the Rosedale Park Improvement Association said the increasing number of marijuana shops is hindering the growth of more family-friendly small businesses.

"The message is real simple: We don't want to live with this stuff," Weinstein said. "Keep us moving in the right direction for Detroit."

George Brikho of Troy, who attended the public meeting, said the negative stigma attached to the marijuana shops is inaccurate. Brikho said he is co-founder of Evergreen Management, a group advocating for the passage of new state laws bills pending in the Senate to regulate the production and sale of medical marijuana.

"Marijuana does not cause violent activity," Brikho said. "We need to get the boogieman out of marijuana. This is prohibition all over again."

On Oct. 13, the Detroit council approved companion legislation to the proposed zoning ordinance. The council approved new rules for licensing medical marijuana caregiver centers. Under the new rules, the marijuana shops will have to get a city license or be shut down. Operators of the shops would be subject to a police background check, and drive-through service would be prohibited. The ordinance also sets an inspection process and prohibits shops from staying open 24 hours a day.

The licensing rules won't be effective until after the council votes on the zoning ordinance being debated Thursday.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/detroit/2015/10/29/detroit-planning-commission-debates-medical-pot-rules/74838770/

I have been to at least a dozen dispensary's in the last several years and have never been admitted without hard card and i.d.

Places that know my face still want to see card and i.d but

What kind of idiot opens a 24 hour drive through dispensary two blocks from the police station.

When the dispensary's close i guess customers will have to search out some kids on the street corner to buy from like before they opened.

Yep same here. I am not one to say that none of them may do it but I have never seen one and neither has anyone I know or have heard about. Short of accusations by police and well........a couple other people that for SOME reason think it is the norm.........

Edited by ozzrokk

Any patients who might ever use a Detroit dispensary are encouraged to attend this meeting today

Please spread the word. 

This is a reminder that the continued public hearing on the proposed amendment to Chapter 61 of the City Code (Zoning) for Medical Marihuana Caregiver Centers (MMCC) will take place Thursday, November 5, 2015 at 4:45 PM, in the Erma L. Henderson Auditorium on the 13th floor of the Coleman A. Young Municipal Center. If you cannot attend in person, you may submit your comments in writing via EMAIL to cpc@detroitmi.gov, FAX to (313) 224-4336, or U.S. MAIL to 2 Woodward Avenue, Room 208, Detroit, MI 48226.

It is my understanding that the alternative proposal presented by CPC staff toward the end of the last meeting will not be advanced and the discussion will focus on various potential modifications to the proposed ordinance as presented by Councilman Tate. These changes could include modifications to the spacing requirements, the allowance of BZA variances with limitations, the ability for clustering within industrial zones, restrictions for Traditional Main Street Overlay areas, etc.

Edited by bobandtorey