Adding Lights?

webfoot

My room is 14x14 and has 4 1k hps lights with air cooled hoods. There is a spot in the center of the lights that does not get enough light. I'd like to add some kind of light in the center and was hoping someone could help me with what kind of light to use.

I only have a 4 plug 220 timer box so I wouldn't be able to plug into 220 without running some more wiring into the room but I have 110 available. Heat should not be an issue as I have plenty of cooling.

Thanks for any help.

could drop a 400W 110V in the blind spot there.

or if you have too much time on your hands , and dont feel like springing for a light mover, you could just rotate your lights around. rotating lights around (or simply spinning plant pots, or putting plant pots on movers and shuffling them around) will improve plant health and bud yield.

do you own a par light meter?  maybe you could adjust the lights a few inches closer to eachother? consider a light mover? Assuming you don't grow plants to each corner/wall of the room I feel 4 1k lights is plenty for your space, and will be curious to know why you don't. My 12x20 flower room also has four 1k lights centered in the room though.

not trying to talk you out of another light of course, just curious is all.  More light will make plants more better!  if you want the most of your light surround them with plants, if you want the most of your plants surround them with light.

If I were you I would consider a 120v LED fixture for the 12 hour schedule. Putting your finishing plants under this light will show you really nice trichome development with bulbs full of oil. Depending on the choice of bulbs you could produce "hash tips". Pics of mine can be seen in old skunk mags.  The response to added uv/uva/uvb light to finishing flowers is to protect themselves form the assault......by bulking up oils, its crazy. I sometimes use a tanning type bulb to do the same, since I have lots of 220 and led's are expensive as heck. My bulb costs 200 bucks years ago. kind of purple, huge, says 10k on it. color, not watts I think. it fires in a 1k ballast rig.

gooey luck!!!

I have no idea if it actually increases "thc" really. Bit I can attest to the trichomes bursting and dripping white

looking foamy cascading stuff down the sides of the buds. Up close they look like the snow capped mountains. google hash tips...might even be some of mine on the goog? The result is a bud you cant really roll traditionally, but only the tops of each cola, or down to the penetration level. I keep a dedicated finish tent for these frankensteins to avoid those nasty rays. come to think of it that's a good suggestion for op too, small tent in the middle for a two day darkness flower initiator....I used to do this when I thought I needed to expedite things.

Took a look at the riu links re the hash tips... Get those occasionally just using reg bulbs, only on the tips that r seemingly too close to the lights... Bleaching is what it has traditionally been called, or how i was familiar w it. Pretty sure it has to do w insufficient mg levels coupled to the intensity of the light... There r normal plant structures (calyxes) under the trichs that r simply white... No chlorophyl i would have guessed hence the mg def. just to say it happens wo the uv specific bulbs.

The op could also just place a 1k horti blue in the middle, depending on the layout and spacing. That'l balance the par spectrum and add uv... Plus can just be fired all the time w the rest of the bulbs

http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-medical-marijuana-growing/831286-hash-tips-maximum-resin-production-medical-cultivator.html

way more than bleaching and deficiencies going on there me thinks, but I have no idea. They are sticky, runny, melt with heat, taste like pure hash.....no like bleached buds at all. My metal halide finish area will report these occasionally, but the right nanom will do I most often.

do you own a par light meter?  maybe you could adjust the lights a few inches closer to eachother? consider a light mover? Assuming you don't grow plants to each corner/wall of the room I feel 4 1k lights is plenty for your space, and will be curious to know why you don't. My 12x20 flower room also has four 1k lights centered in the room though.

not trying to talk you out of another light of course, just curious is all.  More light will make plants more better!  if you want the most of your light surround them with plants, if you want the most of your plants surround them with light.

If I were you I would consider a 120v LED fixture for the 12 hour schedule. Putting your finishing plants under this light will show you really nice trichome development with bulbs full of oil. Depending on the choice of bulbs you could produce "hash tips". Pics of mine can be seen in old skunk mags.  The response to added uv/uva/uvb light to finishing flowers is to protect themselves form the assault......by bulking up oils, its crazy. I sometimes use a tanning type bulb to do the same, since I have lots of 220 and led's are expensive as heck. My bulb costs 200 bucks years ago. kind of purple, huge, says 10k on it. color, not watts I think. it fires in a 1k ballast rig.

gooey luck!!!

I can move them in a bit. I'll try that first but would still like to put a light in the center. Any advice on what LED fixture to use?

I've been out of the led game for some years. they are expensive as heck and banks fail within them I found back then. sorry, cant rec any.  If you were to choose a big light I'd go with a metal halide 600 personally, you'll see the difference in the first harvest for the added spectrums. You can plug it into 120 with a 120 timer if needed.

for the fans.....I decided that normal cheap box fans are the best bang for the buck. I hang them and the "oscillate" perfectly, and last longer than my pricey wall mounted oscy's.  They were around 35-50 bucks I think. box fans at the stores now for 10 bucks.

If you're nearby I could give you a starter light mover until you decide what to do if you want. Its a cheap chain driven hydrofarm unit,(4-6 feet??) but with a little clean up she'll move the heck out of lights. Its leaning up against the barn wall for years. I replaced it with 2 quieter smoother one$, only to retire those too. they're still hung, unplugged, with my lights mounted at each end of each mover in the center of the room. prolly cost you a burger/coke though....