Help Ohio Legalize Marijuana

t-pain

Marijuana taxes go towards busting anyone outside of the monopoly. Then they confiscate unfairly. Search unfairly. Ruin lives for no reason other than spite. Like a 'go fund me' for someone to kick your arse. Nope, not a good thing at all for a real marijuana user. If you want to fool yourself it might look good on paper right now. In reality, it's a very bad thing all around.

so imi, are you saying washington should not have legalized?

or colorado? or alaska? or oregon? or D.C. ?

Yes t, that is exactly what I am saying and have been saying all along.

"Legalization" is a ruse.

It's working out real well for those States now isn't it? << sarcasm

everything i've read has been mostly positive.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonkblog/wp/2015/03/26/after-legalization-colorado-pot-arrests-plunge/

tens of thousands of arrests, GONE in one vote in colorado in 2012. you dont think thats progress?

yeah 5ng is stupid. it was illegal to drive with marijuana before the 2012 legalize law, and is still illegal to drive with more than 5ng after the law, so theres no difference there. thats not a reason to hate legalization.

The total number of marijuana court cases fell from 39,027 in 2011 to 2,036 cases in 2014. Those 37,000 fewer cases represent a savings of untold millions of dollars in court costs and law enforcement fees. They represent 37,000 fewer people who have to deal with the stigma and financial burden of an arrest and possible conviction. They represent countless police man-hours able to be devoted to other tasks.

so whats the making whoopee problem with this quasi-legalization of marijuana?

https://aclu-wa.org/news/court-filings-adult-marijuana-possession-plummet

Passed by Washington voters on November 6, 2012, Initiative 502 legalized marijuana possession for adults age 21 and over when it went into effect 30 days later. New data show the law is having a dramatic effect on prosecutions for misdemeanor marijuana possession offenses in Washington courts. The ACLU of Washington’s analysis of court data, provided by the Administrative Office of the Courts, reveals that filings for low-level marijuana offenses have precipitously decreased from 2009 to 2013:

2009 – 7964

2010 – 6743

2011 – 6879

2012 – 5531

2013 – 120

http://time.com/3815608/marijuana-legalization/

The upside? We no longer arrest 12,000 people every year for possessing marijuana in Washington state. Those are 12,000 people who kept their jobs, went to college, supported their kids, and enjoyed happy and productive lives.

no longer arresting thousands of people for pot? MUST BE NICE!

As I see it the major problem with all of the legalization of cannabis laws so far is caused by the tales told by Tim Beck and his ilk. The politicians have been fed the line that the druggies will line up like winos at the liquor store and pay whatever the asking price is plus a hefty tax.

Recently the Senate announced they thought the tax rate needed to be higher to legalize it.

The state will of course make money on it, but not like they think they will.

They don't understand the mechanics of the cannabis market and really don't seem to be clear on the fact that it is something that grows in the dirt and does not have to be purchased from State controlled facilities. They're stuck in the alcohol/tobacco mindset and are trying to fit our square peg into their round hole.

i have a new question.

to the people who are against the quasi legalization of marijuana in ohio, michigan, colorado, wash, alaska , dc and oregon...

if you are against these limited legalization laws...

are you then against the medical marijuana laws ? since marijuana is still illegal right here in michigan. and since there are limits on medical marijuana.

to me , there is no difference between the medical marijuana laws and the legalization laws, aside from different limits. did i just blow your minds?

imiubu what say you? beourbud? would you vote against medical mj?

someone said all marijuana is medical.

and legalizing or medical mj would allow adults to use marijuana in limited scope.

so therefor, the logical conclusion to your anti-legalizaiton stance is that you are also against medical marijuana laws.

As I see it the major problem with all of the legalization of cannabis laws so far is caused by the tales told by Tim Beck and his ilk. The politicians have been fed the line that the druggies will line up like winos at the liquor store and pay whatever the asking price is plus a hefty tax.

Recently the Senate announced they thought the tax rate needed to be higher to legalize it.

The state will of course make money on it, but not like they think they will.

They don't understand the mechanics of the cannabis market and really don't seem to be clear on the fact that it is something that grows in the dirt and does not have to be purchased from State controlled facilities. They're stuck in the alcohol/tobacco mindset and are trying to fit our square peg into their round hole.

Black Market anyone?

How many doors will they be kicking down when every adult in the state can have unlimited plants in veg and 4 in flower?  It'll turn into a civil penalty.  It takes time.  But I wish you the best of luck in getting any place in the US to take that leap yet. A few years, maybe after the fed deschedules, you'll get a state to take that step. But to keep MORE people getting their lives ruined in the meantime rather than dropping it to a civil fine for going over limits is insane!

i have a new question.

to the people who are against the quasi legalization of marijuana in ohio, michigan, colorado, wash, alaska , dc and oregon...

if you are against these limited legalization laws...

are you then against the medical marijuana laws ? since marijuana is still illegal right here in michigan. and since there are limits on medical marijuana.

to me , there is no difference between the medical marijuana laws and the legalization laws, aside from different limits. did i just blow your minds?

imiubu what say you? beourbud? would you vote against medical mj?

someone said all marijuana is medical.

and legalizing or medical mj would allow adults to use marijuana in limited scope.

so therefor, the logical conclusion to your anti-legalizaiton stance is that you are also against medical marijuana laws.

I am proud to have voted for MMJ in2008. It was the compassionate thing to do as I believe the medicinal properties of cannabis supersedes recreational use.

I am for Abrogating Cannabis Prohibition Completely.

Prohibition never has and never will work. It always has and always will create an underground market. The WOD created the Black Market and these new laws will just create a new green underground market. Fortunately for the Consumer the green market will offer superior quality product at afraction of the cost.

Quasi Legalization = Qusi Prohibition

I am for Medical, Cannabis has been effective medicine for thousands of years.

I am for recreational, Cannabis is so much safer than any popular alternatives.

I am for research , isn't it about time already

I am for creating a new industry to put thousands of people to work.

I am for a free market, not a quasi free market or a monopoly as these bill propose

I am for Ending the War on Drugs Stop the systematic encarceration of our youth

Stop Greed Free the Weed

Lets get Civilized, Decriminalize. No. Crime No Time No Fine

Edited by beourbud

Dodging the question?  I didn't see an answer whether you were for the current med law here or for the law going down in Ohio.  I think everyone here feels it should be decriminalized.  In the meantime are you for changing jailable laws for civil fines?  For the freedom to grow unlimited in veg and 4 in flower plus whatever med law they're making?  Having a 1/2 lb at home and an oz on the road without fear of going to jail?

Dodging? No. Just haven't read the bill in Ohio. Don't care, we have our own issues to deal with here.Besides we will have to see how they implement it. The fknrepublicans here have prevented the intended implementation of our law from the start. Hope Ohio has better luck.

Hey instead of " in themeantime "why don't we forego with quasi and go strait to Full Decrim. If everyone feels we should decrim then we should decrim. non of this halfazz quasi chit.

Quasi legalization is just a fancy name for corruption and greed.

We have the best MMJ law in the country. I am sticking with it.

Edited by beourbud

I am proud to have voted for MMJ in2008. It was the compassionate thing to do as I believe the medicinal properties of cannabis supersedes recreational use.

I am for Abrogating Cannabis Prohibition Completely.

Prohibition never has and never will work. It always has and always will create an underground market. The WOD created the Black Market and these new laws will just create a new green underground market. Fortunately for the Consumer the green market will offer superior quality product at afraction of the cost.

Quasi Legalization = Qusi Prohibition

I am for Medical, Cannabis has been effective medicine for thousands of years.

I am for recreational, Cannabis is so much safer than any popular alternatives.

I am for research , isn't it about time already

I am for creating a new industry to put thousands of people to work.

I am for a free market, not a quasi free market or a monopoly as these bill propose

I am for Ending the War on Drugs Stop the systematic encarceration of our youth

Stop Greed Free the Weed

Lets get Civilized, Decriminalize. No. Crime No Time No Fine

I'm I total agreement with you, but I question the widespread notion that legalizing will create jobs and advance the economy. Proponents of legalization/decriminalzation rightfully say that people are going to grow and use cannabis regardless of its legal status. Cannabis growers are already and have been buying grow supplies and selling cannabis and putting that money back into the economy. Maybe legalization will reduce alcohol consumption, but then the economy loses alcohol sales.

How many doors will they be kicking down when every adult in the state can have unlimited plants in veg and 4 in flower?  It'll turn into a civil penalty.  It takes time.  But I wish you the best of luck in getting any place in the US to take that leap yet. A few years, maybe after the fed deschedules, you'll get a state to take that step. But to keep MORE people getting their lives ruined in the meantime rather than dropping it to a civil fine for going over limits is insane!

Not gonna happen. We need to be on the same page for comparison. You are not going to be able to have a pound at your home either. And more people will be arrested for improper transport and other little knick picky things they can think of to squeeze money out of you. It's not all going to be the pie in the sky you speak of. Just look at who decides on the laws and realize that. People want one thing and law makers want another. We already know what happens with a voter initiative in that situation. Can we at least summon up a common reality? When you create a monopoly you need to realize what follows in the wake of it. 

I'm I total agreement with you, but I question the widespread notion that legalizing will create jobs and advance the economy. Proponents of legalization/decriminalzation rightfully say that people are going to grow and use cannabis regardless of its legal status. Cannabis growers are already and have been buying grow supplies and selling cannabis and putting that money back into the economy. Maybe legalization will reduce alcohol consumption, but then the economy loses alcohol sales.

Legitimize the industry, open up thMe banks to cannabis. Allow loans on cannabis friendly properties. Allow patient to patient and allow farmers markets for distribution. This will stimulate new jobs, opportunities and innovation. The proposed bills squashes any incentive for entrepreneurs with arbitrary limits and excessive regulations and favors a chosen few.

IMO. Cannabis as medicine is the higher priority. Cannabis is much safer than pharmaceuticals. Don't forget the impact of deaths by prescription drugs, drunk drivers. What is the cost savings there? Public Health and safety should be first, the second should be the economy.

What is the cost and impact of encarcerating our youth for minor infractions?

I don't think any breweries or distilleries will go out of business because of decrim Cannabis, If cannabis is decrim We the People will be have better and healthy choices. If cannabis can reduce drunk driving deaths we are that much better off.

The pharmas have proven to be greedy and apathetic towards patients. If cannabis can prevent addiction and deaths by prescribed pills, we are better off.

Cannabis was a large part of Our economy before prohibition and it could be again.

Remove the restrictions and barriers to progress...Free the Weed

Untie the ball of knots instead of tangling things up worse. The more 'structuring' and 'taxing' and 'rule making' and 'penalties for rule breaking' and on and on, the more you go down that road of no return. Anything you do that complicates things plays right into the hands of the prohibitionists and they know it. Untie the knots, don't tie more. 

people (myself included) who are for "free the weed" are, sorry to say, in the minority vs the other 90% of people who want to tax and regulate it.

That's a cop out to the greedy. Where did you come up with that statistic? I know that zero percent of cannabis users really want to pay tax and bribes on a harmless plant just about anyone can grow for themselves... if the cops and greedheads are not vulchering all over it. That's a no brainer you don't have to do an expensive/crooked study to figure out the statistics.

i'm only going by the "tax it already" comments in newspaper articles that i read online about legalization in various states.

its just my opinion based on what i read, could be biased, etc.

maybe someone should ask quinnipac to do a poll and ask people if they are more in favor of tax and regulate or complete decrim?

heres a poll from new hampshire that did it

unfortunately i think the idiots they get on the phone (and also idiots who vote, and just general public are idiots) dont actually understand the difference between decrim, legal, tax, regulate, illegal etc.

http://www.wmur.com/blob/view/-/34322598/data/1/-/mnlcu3z/-/GSP-Marijuana.pdf

Preference for Marijuana Laws

When asked what they would prefer the state legislature do with marijuana laws,

51% want marijuana legalized and taxed like alcohol,

22% want it decriminalized,

24% want to keep marijuana laws as they are now and

3% don’t know or are unsure.

This measure has stayed steady over the last year.

Majorities of Democrats (57%) and Independents (58%) prefer legalizing and taxing marijuana, while Republicans are more divided on the issue as 42% prefer legalization and 36% prefer keeping laws the way they are now.

but you can see the other polls decrim is at 70%

tax and regulate is at 55%

but tax and regulate and sell in liquor stores is at 70%

so what the hell do these numbers mean anyway?

people (myself included) who are for "free the weed" are, sorry to say, in the minority vs the other 90% of people who want to tax and regulate it.

tax and regulate = corrupt and control

Decrim and Michigan Will be the epicenter of The Cannabis Industry, The Leader in cannabis research and technologies.  A magnet for  creative and curious minds to explore new opportunities and prospects, fertile ground for a free market.

If your group is %10 Free the Weed,  You need a Group Upgrade   Welcome to the 21st century

Legitimize the industry, open up thMe banks to cannabis. Allow loans on cannabis friendly properties. Allow patient to patient and allow farmers markets for distribution. This will stimulate new jobs, opportunities and innovation. The proposed bills squashes any incentive for entrepreneurs with arbitrary limits and excessive regulations and favors a chosen few.

IMO. Cannabis as medicine is the higher priority. Cannabis is much safer than pharmaceuticals. Don't forget the impact of deaths by prescription drugs, drunk drivers. What is the cost savings there? Public Health and safety should be first, the second should be the economy.

What is the cost and impact of encarcerating our youth for minor infractions?

I don't think any breweries or distilleries will go out of business because of decrim Cannabis, If cannabis is decrim We the People will be have better and healthy choices. If cannabis can reduce drunk driving deaths we are that much better off.

The pharmas have proven to be greedy and apathetic towards patients. If cannabis can prevent addiction and deaths by prescribed pills, we are better off.

Cannabis was a large part of Our economy before prohibition and it could be again.

Remove the restrictions and barriers to progress...Free the Weed

It would be interesting to see a full economic analysis of legalization and/or decriminalization.  Under a full-blown decrim scenario, we'd certainly see grow store and public utilities take a huge hit as people grow outdoors rather than indoors.  And, of course, we'd see a huge drop in jobs in law enforcement, the courts, and jails/prisons, especially if previous convicts were grandfathered in and set free.  But, much like Rick Snyder said of MMJ jobs, "these are not the jobs we want," the LEO, court, prison/jail guard jobs are not jobs WE want.

In a scenario where we see decrim in every state and at the federal level, Michigan could become a net exporter of cannabis and allow money to flow into the state.  On the other hand, if other states do a better job of supplying cannabis, Michigan could become a net importer of cannabis, so money would be leaving the state.

I get what you're saying about banks and innovators, etc. providing new jobs to a new industry.  But on the other hand, even if decrim results in higher use/demand for cannabis across the board, that leaves less money for consumers to spend on other stuff.  And let's face it, our economy is consumer-driven, and most of the 99% ers have limited disposable income, and generally, many/most of these people live on some sort of a budget, paying critical bills first and then using disposable income for the extras - like steaks, consumer electronics, a better car, cable TV/internet, gas/hotel/tourism money, etc.  If the 99% ponies-up more money for recreational cannabis, that leaves less money to indulge in some of the other non-necessities, which will put a dent into small businesses like gas stations, liquor stores, hotels, etc.  It's like a friend of mine who owns an auto repair garage complained to me that when the economy in Michigan took a dive, his business experienced a huge drop in revenue because people who'd normally pay for an oil change or brake job decided to do the work themselves.  No money entered or left the economy; it just got reallocated.

It isn't as if the cannabis plant is a money tree.  The money spent on cannabis is money that isn't fed elsewhere into the economy. 

Do I support decrim - 100% yes.  I hope in 10 years we see cannabis growing in every roadside ditch and replacing ornamental plants in every yard in the state. But if you boil it down, the only net gain we'd see in the economy would be that we in the US are no longer exporting cannabis dollars to Mexico and Canada.  

Edited by Highlander