Diy Pen For Concentrates (510 Compatible)?

zachw

Used a Puffco for some shatter recently and really love the top loading ceramic coil chamber. I have a bunch of 510 adjustable batteries (use a Kangertech Mini Pro Tank 3 for liquids) & chargers, don't need an entire expensive kit. (The Puffco starts at about $70).

Anything that I can assemble for cheap that will duplicate such a setup? One suggestion on Reddit was to get the Kanger 510 Horizontal Coil ($7 for 5 of 'em) and remove the cotton wick, but other folks haven't really had great luck with that. Besides it's way too deep for convenient filling.

Ideas? Do not want glass globes for the rig. Points for small.

Hopefully GG will chime in...

hope the cloutank m1 works.  lets us know?

Been trying it out for the last couple of days and it works great.

Not as stealthy as the Puffco or other wax pens. Certainly more clunky and unbalanced on top of an Ego style battery. But it does the trick. Plus it's pretty cool seeing the vapor swirls around in the glass tank!

Hasn't been tested yet by a family member for whom a vape pen with oil is the only thing that gives relief from nausea...

As mentioned, this cost me $10 for an authentic tank with two extra coils & tool. Some places charge $25 & more. There are other Cloupor tanks but the M1 seems best suited for wax.

Relatively new to smoking shatter/wax and still am sure whether I like the buzz compared to combusting herb, but that also goes for vaping cannabis or oils compared to smoking. Anyone else want to chime in with their experience? 

Used a Puffco for some shatter recently and really love the top loading ceramic coil chamber. I have a bunch of 510 adjustable batteries (use a Kangertech Mini Pro Tank 3 for liquids) & chargers, don't need an entire expensive kit. (The Puffco starts at about $70).

Anything that I can assemble for cheap that will duplicate such a setup? One suggestion on Reddit was to get the Kanger 510 Horizontal Coil ($7 for 5 of 'em) and remove the cotton wick, but other folks haven't really had great luck with that. Besides it's way too deep for convenient filling.

Ideas? Do not want glass globes for the rig. Points for small.

Hopefully GG will chime in...

I don't have too much experience with vaping straight oil, but do have some.

Whether vaping straight or mixing to create an e-cannabis solution, I have noticed that each strain, each technique of making the concentrate, each solvent used, can have a great effect on which "tool" is best to use for vaping.

For instance, BHO comes out much different than an alcohol extraction when it comes to the preferred vaporizer. Each concentrate reacts differently. When it comes to BHO, you may want to consult Hydro Jack. I am only familiar with alcohol extracts. 

I assume you are referring to vaping the concentrate straight.

An alternative to glass would be the KISS cartridge. All metal and ceramic with a plastic mouthpiece. An adapter is required to attach to the 510 batteries. It worked great for me with RSO made with 99% iso and also with QWISO. When I switched to QWET and my naturally decarbed oil, it did not work well. It caused the same problems HJ mentioned with his BHO (it was not shatter). The concentrate would run away from the coil and avoid being vaporized to where it made it ineffective and wasteful.

For the oils that do not work well with the electronic devices, I always like to use the eclipse vape. As long as the concentrate was not heat decarbed it works great. All you need is a decent torch lighter. Less than $100 and you have everything you need. Downside, it is not convenient and not stealth.

It has been a long time since I made any e-cannabis, but after reading this thread, I decided to so I could try my inexpensive clearomizer. It is the Aspire CE5 BVC (bottom vertical coil). I ordered it from My Vapor Store. The coil is a new design from what they had before. It has 4 holes and the newest design has larger holes which offers more airflow. I am using it right now, and first try, seems to be working well. I have a mix of about 65% cannabis oil, half heat decarbed and the other half naturally decarbed. Both were extracted using alcohol. I haven't been vaping lately because it can get expensive, but I sure do miss it.

zachw,

you got a link?

Yeah, check out vapepensales.com. $8.88 for the M1 kit. Standard ego threads. The M1 seems to be the best for waxes. 

For Kanger coils & replacement parts, sweet-vapes.com is a good place. Tip o' the cap to GG who blogged about the Kanger here. I really like it for oils.

(SNIP)

It has been a long time since I made any e-cannabis, but after reading this thread, I decided to so I could try my inexpensive clearomizer. It is the Aspire CE5 BVC (bottom vertical coil). I ordered it from My Vapor Store. The coil is a new design from what they had before. It has 4 holes and the newest design has larger holes which offers more airflow. I am using it right now, and first try, seems to be working well. I have a mix of about 65% cannabis oil, half heat decarbed and the other half naturally decarbed. Both were extracted using alcohol. I haven't been vaping lately because it can get expensive, but I sure do miss it.

What is the expensive part? Making it? Because consuming it is more economical than bud.

You have said that you use ethanol which ain't cheap in Michigan. Do you recover it or just let it evaporate away?

What is the expensive part? Making it? Because consuming it is more economical than bud.

You have said that you use ethanol which ain't cheap in Michigan. Do you recover it or just let it evaporate away?

There are two expensive sides to it for me.

One: It is so enjoyable, I can't stop vaping. Part of that could be that I also use an e-cigarette. It gets to where I can't afford to vape the cannabis oil anymore. Eating the oil after it has been decarbed is by far the most economical. Heck, I have been buzzed 24/7 for the last 5 years since I started making the oil!! LOL

Two: it is quite wasteful compared to eating the oil. The bit that ends up leftover in the clearomizer is wasted. Having to change the coils in the clearomizer, there is still product left and that gets wasted. When the clearomizer clogs or simply stops working, oil gets wasted. A lot could be recovered, but there is still waste. Also, for the e-cigg clearomizers to work optimum with e-cannabis oil, it needs to be a very clean oil to begin with. Which can be wasteful just making it.

On the other hand, sometimes waste is satisfying and nothing beats it when it comes to stealth. If you have a rig that works well with you oil, noting is more convenient.

GG - oil is certainly more wasteful due to the stuff absorbed in the wicks which is why I won't use a clearomizer with long wicks.

Waxes, however, are another story, since it just sits in a little cup with the coil. I have found these to be incredible efficient.

But still, are you evaporating the everclear? How much does that stuff cost you?

GG - oil is certainly more wasteful due to the stuff absorbed in the wicks which is why I won't use a clearomizer with long wicks.

Waxes, however, are another story, since it just sits in a little cup with the coil. I have found these to be incredible efficient.

But still, are you evaporating the everclear? How much does that stuff cost you?

All of the different methods of vaporizing has their pros and cons.

One pro for the long wicks, like the iClear30 clearomizer, that provided me the best, most tasteful hits I have tried out of any vaporizer. Since it is top loaded and has to wick upwards, it acts like a filter. Only certain compounds can leach up the wicks, which can provide the most tasty hits.

You are right, there is a lot of extra waste with the top loading, long wicks. Not too much waste with the bottom coil units. Especially like the CE5 design, but they don't taste as good.

I have been using 200 proof ethyl, which is about the same price as 190 Everclear. The expense of the solvent doesn't bother me too much. I do not reclaim. If all I did was vape, I would highly consider reclaiming the solvent.

I have tried a few units like you describe. I didn't have the best of luck with them using alcohol extractions, especially when they were not heat decarbed. For some reason, the heat decarbed oil works well with that type of vape, at least with alcohol extracts.

I still wouldn't hesitate to use 99% iso, that is less expensive and it does make a more beautiful product.

I have to agree with resto too. I ingest the oil most of the time. I will enjoy a vape here and there though.

Have you tried the Eclipse Vape that uses the glass vial and a torch to heat?

Nope. Looks more trouble than it's worth!

For some it is, others it is not.

I am assuming you use non-heat decarbed oil, being it is shatter. You may regret not getting an Eclipse, at least for home use, It would not be a bad investment. They seem to last a lifetime, and for non-heat decarbed oils, for home use, it may just be the best vaporizer available.

I do not regret purchasing one, and it is the first oil vape I ever purchased. It is the only old vape that I still use from time to time, even though it can be a pain. No electronics to fail though, no batteries to die, no replacing coils. I don't recommend it for all concentrates, like a heat decarbed oil, but I do highly recommend it for home use.

Heck, even if you don't use the vape, I am sure one would appreciate the vials for storing product in. The Eclipse has come down in price since I purchased mine.

Since it works so well with my ND Sap, and has lasted so long, as soon as I get a chance I will get the other brand that is similar (Essential Vaaapp) and compare them. For some reason they have done a price flip flop. The Essential used to be around $50 and the Eclipse was around $100, seems that has changed. Just makes me want to compare them even more. They are probably the same, but you never know until you try.

I do acknowledge that each person has their personal preference.

There are a lot of electronic vapes I really like for certain oils. In some cases a mechanical works best and others, the digital is the best tool. There is an electronic vape also named Essential. With those I kind of like the mini. It is a straight hitter, and cheap and affordable to replace the coils.

The essential attached to my smoktek mechanical vape and a custom blown glass tip.

Magneto Essential Mini Glass Drip Tip 2 19 14 008

Behind the essential is the KISS cart which requires an adapter to work with the 510 thread batteries.

Magneto with Essential Mini 2 19 14 005

Edited by GrowGoddess

• 1 month later...

@zachw  I believe I mentioned previously that vaping oil, especially e-cannabis oil was not as efficient as smoking. I prefer vaping the oil, but it can be expensive. I have to take back the efficiency comment. With some of the newer vaping equipment, like the new Aspire CE5 with the newer coil design, the efficiency is extremely impressive, with my set up, it tastes amazing too.

There are so many new devices out there since I first started experimenting, it is incredible. They are really starting to master the designs, especially when it comes to e-ciggs, which can have a direct effect on e-cannabis.

I just ordered 2 different high powered digital vapes. I can't imagine why someone would want them for e-ciggs, but it is what the people want, to blow out giant vape clouds. I don't use e-ciggs in that manner, but I certainly would when it comes to e-cannabis.

I think my new equipment will be arriving tomorrow. Sub ohm coils and up to 75 watts of power... I think some of this new vaping equipment is what some of us are looking for.

I will follow up. 

Here is an example of one of the new products I ordered. It should be able to operate any electronic cannabis devices with the right adapters. http://www.myvaporstore.com/Joye-eVic-VTC-Mini-with-TRON-Tank-p/joye-vtc70.htm

When it comes to up-to-date quality and technology, this device makes the persei or omicron look like a dinosaur.

It should not be too long, now that they have devices like this, before the box and whip style electronic dry flower vaping is a thing of the past. This unit should be capable of dry flower vaping without any problem with the right adapter. If something is not developed for it soon, I may just design something myself.

Heyo GG. My go to at this point is the kanger mini protank 3 with a variable voltage ego c-twist. Have 'em loaded with oils from Mitten Meds; one with Liquid Sunshine (indica) and one with Black Gold (sativa). I'm using the latter as I type here, and been having problems with clogging. The Black Gold was extra thick and I must have gotten some in the center. Takes a hearty suck to get it clear!

As far as efficiency with vaping vs smoking, I'm not sure what you mean. Do you believe that "waste vapor" is greater than "waste combustion" for equivalent amounts of oil & herb? Or are you possibly talking about how 10 grams of herb lasts longer than say 1 gram of oil?

I'm probably behind on the latest portable vape technology. But for what it's worth, I bought a couple of Omicron vape pens a few years ago - one for myself and one for a patient. When they worked, they worked well, but they were fraught with leaks and sometimes I'd have to heat the cart. just about until the battery was dead before it puffed easily. Then, I'd get oil leaking out of the cart and onto the threads that connect the battery unit to the vape unit. And if you were silly enough to try to charge the battery unit without stripping the threads clean of oil, the battery unit would fuse to the plastic charging housing and the charge housing would split (and become useless) when you unscrewed the battery unit from the charger.

Finally, I bought an Eclipse vape. It was about $115 at my local grow store, but you can get a quality knock-off for about $65. I also bought 144 borosilicate vials from eBay. You can put oil, wax, bud - whatever - in the glass vial, hit it with a torch lighter, and watch the vapors accumulate in the glass vial, and then slowly "sip" a few puffs. It isn't quite as stealth as a unit that resembles an e-cig, but it's still pretty stealth. Also, super easy to load, maintain, and use.

Heyo GG. My go to at this point is the kanger mini protank 3 with a variable voltage ego c-twist. Have 'em loaded with oils from Mitten Meds; one with Liquid Sunshine (indica) and one with Black Gold (sativa). I'm using the latter as I type here, and been having problems with clogging. The Black Gold was extra thick and I must have gotten some in the center. Takes a hearty suck to get it clear!

As far as efficiency with vaping vs smoking, I'm not sure what you mean. Do you believe that "waste vapor" is greater than "waste combustion" for equivalent amounts of oil & herb? Or are you possibly talking about how 10 grams of herb lasts longer than say 1 gram of oil?

Let's start from the bottom. To round it up, I would mostly have to say yes, 10 grams vs. 1 gram, but I do not believe that to be true anymore.

I love Kangar products, they are very impressive. With the Aerotank design, you can purchase the bottom part separately and I believe it will attach to the protank 3, but I am not sure with the mini though, but it should be an improvement. I have used most of the AeroTank devices, there are some newer ones I have not tried yet (soon). With the devices I have tried, they are of great quality, but I hate to say this, but they do not even compare to the new Aspire CE5 BVC, it must be the new coils with the large intake holes. You can get the new CE5 for less than $5 at my vapor store http://www.myvaporstore.com/Aspire-CE5-BVC-Ego-Ecig-Tank-p/ap-ce5.htmI would put it up against any older style like you speak of, protank 3. I have run about 6 grams of oil through my CE5, it leaked once, I cleaned it up, and has not leaked since. The taste is awesome and smooth. It has been working flawlessly, I have been using it with a mechanical vape with an 18490 battery. It also worked great on my eGo C Twist.

Now, there seems to be an issue with the eGo C Twist. I didn't realize it, but the company I was ordering them from are not the original Joyetech battery.  The eGo C twist batteries I have been getting, well, the new line has an issue with the electronics. I have had a 100% failure rate, for me, it was 5 batteries in a row that simply died. Off the top of my head then only company I know of that sells the authentic eGo C Twist batteries is My Vapor Store.

Back on the main topic, your oil is thick and is clogging up, and you are not getting the draw you are looking for. The CE5 is a solution, but you are still not going to get the big draw you are looking for. I am working on this. I believe there are devices that can provide us with all of the goodies. I should be testing some really soon. The answer to this is great wicking, high amount of air intake, and large coils, sub ohm coils. That is where the large draw is going to be. Hopefully within the next 5 days I will be trying sub ohm coils with my e-cannabis, it may even work great with straight cannabis oil. Of course it will require more power than the average vaporizer. The newer vapes are capable of this. The Joyetech VTC mini should have no problem operating the sub ohm coils being that is offers 75 watts. Also, to take into consideration, there are new types of coils out there, titanium, nickel, these newer coils can be temperature controlled and potentially will not burn the oil. It may take a couple of weeks to try the newer coils, I forgot to order them. The newer coils does require the ability to use the features of the newer vapes like temperature control. Not all of the newer vapes have the temperature control feature though. Never know, temperature control could be the key to perfection when vaping concentrated cannabis, eliminating the oil burning. It really would be on the unit I am using right now.

@Highlander - There is always going to be a place for the simplicity of the eclipse vape for me, but when it comes to going out and about and I want stealth, that is where the electronic vapes with e-cannabis are superior.

I took my own advice and tried the Kanger SUBOX Nano kit (the vape and tank). The nano tank is great! If you want the extreme, give this kit a try with the 0.5 ohm coil. It can handle thick liquid, just need patience to allow the cotton to absorb. It is a little intense for me, but it is incredible. I like to set it between 17 and 20 watts with my mix.

Kanger SUBOX nano is on the left.

Kanger And Joye12 17 15 017

GG - the biggest pain in the butt with the kanger is that it is such a pain in the butt trying to avoid getting oil in the center tube during fill. Gotta get the oil really warm and then slowly, slowly, inject the oil while tilting the tank at a very shallow angle, constantly waiting for enough to seep in below the tube before more can be added. Have you come across any bottom coil tanks that make this process easier?

GG - the biggest pain in the butt with the kanger is that it is such a pain in the butt trying to avoid getting oil in the center tube during fill. Gotta get the oil really warm and then slowly, slowly, inject the oil while tilting the tank at a very shallow angle, constantly waiting for enough to seep in below the tube before more can be added. Have you come across any bottom coil tanks that make this process easier?

As far as a bottom coil unit that is easier, sadly, no....

I have seen videos of some, but I cannot remember the names or brands of the tanks.

• 4 weeks later...

I have not tried one of these yet, but it may just solve many of your vaping issues. Keep in mind, this woman is vaping 100% VG, which is very thick. It may even work better with cannabis oil. It is a top fill unit so you may not have to be concerned with getting your product into the center.

It is amazing all of the different coils this unit can operate. I don't think you need the 200W mod, you may prefer something like the KangerTech KBOX Mini, Platinum.

The tank she is using is by Smok. I have had good experiences with the Smoktech products.

FYI ... I'm brand new here.  Be gentle with me.

I quickly transitioned from smoking tobacco (cigarettes) to vaping e-liquids.  Best thing I ever did.  I started with the BLU ecigs, and have moved through many different hardware systems since then.

I now own the Kangertech SUBOX Mini ecig Kit, and I THINK it will work beautifully with cannabis e-liquids.

How so?

Well, the kit INCLUDES a rebuildable deck where you simply wind a coil and insert a cotton wick (the kit includes both the cotton as well as a couple of kanthal wire coils).

What I have found is that if I wrap wider diameter coils, I can loosely insert wider diameter cotton wick.  With that larger diameter coil and wick (loosely slid into the coil) I can wick even very thick e-liquids flawlessly.

Since cannabis e-liquids are very thick (and often far from free of impurity/veg-matter/debris), this wider diameter coil and wick would have no trouble drawing the canna-liquid to the heating coil.

Smaller diameter coils and wicks, with the wicks tightly packed in the coil (the kind typically found in e-cig tanks) can clog fairly quickly.  The canna-liquid can no longer reach the coil.  The result is "dry hits", and even burning out the wire coil itself.

My wider diameter coils, looser (uncompressed) cotton wicks can filter out far more clogging impurities from the liquids before becoming clogged.  At that point, simply slip out the clogged wick and insert a new one.  Takes all of 1 minute to do.  Presto ... Vape on!

The rebuildable coil/wicking deck is the key.  It's extremely fast, easy, and inexpensive to wrap a new coil, install it, and add the new cotton wick.  Maybe 20 cents for both the wire and the cotton.

I probably re-wick 5 or 6 times before ever replacing the wire coil.

You can even mix cannabis oils with flavored e-liquids to produce whatever flavor profile pleases you (anything from fruits, cheesecake or banana creme pie, to BACON flavors ... and anything you can imagine including "Scent of a Woman").   :blow-a-heart:

A HUGE advantage to using these very common e-cig devices is that police wouldn't look twice at someone vaping a common e-cig device in public.  The same cannot be said for the Cannabis Only vaporizers which are so easily identified by police, and will IMMEDIATELY get their attention.

BTW ... I mention the Kanger Sub Ohm Mini rebuildable coil deck, but there are many others which would be equally suitable.  The KEY is to get an easily rebuildable coil deck.  That way you can build and install your custom, wider diameter coils and wicks within a minute or two.

I wrap 28 gauge Kanthal wire around a 3/8 drill bit ... several at a time ... and store them in a very small ziplock bag (the kind you get with many ecig kits holding screwdrivers, extra rubber seals, etc.), add a few cotton wicks, and throw them in with my stash ... to be used as quickly and easily as needed.

I am also looking to trying to install a ceramic bowl on top of my Kanger Rebuildable Coil deck for using dry herb and/or waxes, etc.  If I can find the right size ceramics, the very same Kanger SubTank Mini Rebuildable Tank will be capable of vaping virtually ALL cannabis varieties as well as e-cig liquids.  A Universal Vaping Device.

As the Temperature Controlled E-cig devices evolve, the exact same could be done ... but, then we could easily and precisely control the temperature that is applied to whatever substance you happen to be vaping.  Dry herb, waxy, or liquid ... all in the same device ... all at the optimal temperature for each individual taste.

We're nearing the threshold of some wonderful stuff.  In fact ... we ARE there now.  All we need to do is consolidate what we have into one universal configuration which won't raise red flags in the face of the wrong people.

Trust me ... we don't need outlandishly designed and priced cannabis-only vaping devices to get the job done.  We have what we need NOW ... with INexpensive E-Cig devices already on the market.

DUMP the PAX.  Cap the Volcanoes.  Vape ANY Cannabis cheap, easy AND STEALTHILY!

...Dim 

Edited by DimWit