Marijuana Grow Closet: Interviewing The Mastermind Behind D.c.'s Next Best Amenity

zachw

While renovating a four-level condo in Park View, Washington, D.C.-based developer Eric Hirshfield came across a small issue that soon became the listing's biggest selling point: a marijuana grow closet. Homebuyers shouldn't be too surprised if they see other developers jumping on the bandwagon. According to Hirshfield, two Washington, D.C.-based developers reached out to him with interest in doing the same, but he was reluctant to give the names of them. While it may be legal to possess, gift, and grow marijuana in Washington, D.C., Hirshfield said, "It's a little murky and grey at the federal level."

Because of this, Hirshfield is unable to describe his amenity as a marijuana grow closet or even to stage it with marijuana or similar looking plants when showcasing the listing to homebuyers. Hirshfield told Curbed DC, "With any conversations I have with my buyers, I call it a grow closet for herbs, but there's always a wink wink, and they understand." Below, see what Hirshfield had to say to some of Curbed's questions like how on earth he got the idea (let alone the balls) to build a grow closet in his listing.

Check out the full article here.

Edited by zachw

I have been building all different types of closets for 15 years. One was even portable, used an old cedar wardrobe.

Here is my 2000 Watt closet. http://michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/blog/532/entry-840-2000-watt-custom-cooled-closet-and-more/It is not 100% complete. Have a couple more things to do to it, when I do, I will add it to the blog. It has been working great though.

For a small closet, my favorite is a 3' x 4' area utilizing only a 600 Watt light. I like working with closets that are built in, permanent.

Just like it mentions in the article, I have not been using my 600W closet for growing, but am using it for storage. It can easily be turned back on.