Cbd, Ptsd And Dogs And Seizures

My dog is now on 10mg of CBD a day.  She started having seizures when catching a woodchuck and shaking it in her mouth.  Didn't think too much about it as it was only when she got into a life and death type situation.  The other day she had a partial seizure just chasing a squirrel around a tree.  I decided that was it time to put her on antiseizure meds.  I heard only bad things about how it changes the dogs personality so I decided to try CBD first.  Unexpectedly it took care of her anxiety(PTSD - She was beat and bred for the first 7 years of her life, sprayed in the eyes with bleach or something and would cower whenever you tried to pet her and she'd freak when things fell around her) and eating problems.  She'd chew weeds 2x a week to throw up and she had diahrea a lot.  Her poops are fine, no more chewing weeds to throw up and she has chased numerous squirrels with no signs of any seizure activity at all.  She sleeps a little bit more but is up and ready whenever we're ready for a walk.  She's only calmed down a bit and isn't sluggish or different in any other way. 

She is a 60lb dog and is on 10-15mg of CBD a day and about 1-2mg THC(half of one of my morning pills).  I've read that they've administered over 20mg/kg for dogs with no adverse affects.  That would be just over a gram of kief for my dog at 600mg CBD.  There is quite a wide range of effectiveness and no adverse affects that I've read of.

Norby,

have you ruled out the possibility of an infection spreading from the rodent?

My neighbors jack russels fought a raccoon, killed it, seized, then one died all within a weeks' time. your post sounded too  familiar.

hope pooch heals well. b'tard abusers were often obvious  in grade school. wish we had a handle on them then 

Edited by grassmatch

woodchucks / groundhogs use anal glands to mark territories. sometimes the scents can overpower dogs and give them seizures since they have such strong noses.

other than that no idea. marijuana is good for animals, just look at the birds that eat hemp seeds, they live longer. its just another one of those facts.

Norby,

have you ruled out the possibility of an infection spreading from the rodent?

My neighbors jack russels fought a raccoon, killed it, seized, then one died all within a weeks' time. your post sounded too  familiar.

hope pooch heals well. b'tard abusers were often obvious  in grade school. wish we had a handle on them then 

Vet mentioned that.  This was months ago with the woodchuck, the squirrel thing was about 2 weeks ago.  She's better than she has ever been since I got her.  And since she was 43 lbs when we got her and is 63 now I'd say better than ever before in her life, just like me once I started the CBD caps(which also killed the candida) and started on the bioactive vitamins.  Who knows, the antibiotics she took may have caused candida overgrowth leading to anxiety with her too.  So many possibilities but none matter since it's working.

I know of several folks who have their dogs on MM . All have positive experiences. The biggest problem is finding information on dosages 

1 - 13 year old dog was panting shaking and not sleeping Vet put dog on several meds that caused more problems ie. lethargy and incontinence. This dog is now on a BID dose of MM and is no longer shaking panting and is sleeping fine. The dog has bursts of energy where she runs around and plays like she did before.

2 - dog injured back was in fairly constant pain on a daily dose of MM shows no s/s of pain :yahoo-wave:

3 - Horse - this ones really weird. horse dx with a stifle injury and was per a state vet school permently lame and surgery was recommended [very risky in an equine ] Has been on MM for over a year and no s/s of lameness or pain. The injury has been ruled healed by same state vet school who wanted to know what the owner had done as they had never seen this injury heal on its own :angel:

I give Blaze a 100 mg of CBD a day. I'd give him more if I could. I'd like to give him the 5000 mg that some CW products have but at 500 bucks a bottle....

He is also on a very small amount of RSO daily as well. About a rice grain size worth. Still trying to build his system up to that.

Pre and pro-biotics and turmeric as well but that's another story.

my jack russel diagnosed ago with cancer.   she had grapes on lymph nodes, lost weight, trouble eating, debilitating pain with movement. We immediately began dosing. Quick we found her limits and backed down form there. For several years her dose was on demand averaging every other day. I infused it with hemp seed oil for easy dosing. I used a whole plant approach, all balanced hybrids/cup winners. Her grapes remained but she ate like a beast daily, she would get a little giddy for an hour and then became a new dog for the rest of the day, and the next day, that was the prize. She ran the beach, wrestled, killed opossums, and seemed normal, till the next morning, tired, pain, for only a little while though-rinse/repeat-for the next 6 years until she was15!  She told us she was ready one afternoon and refused food. She passed peacefully a few months ago.

RIP you good girl

I'm getting smaller caps next week and making her her own meds instead of splitting my caps.  I just switched back to using 50% CBD and 3%THC hash.  Last weeks I used .15gr of a 50/50 THC CBD kief added in to .85 gr of the hi CBD kief since I was just a little short for that batch of pills.  She seemed to be more active last week.  Switching back to an estimated 10-13mg cbd and 2-3 mg thc when tehy come in.

I don't have the link but read that up to 20mg/kg was used without any adverse affects on CBD.  Tasha is about 30kg so I'm giving her 10mg but up to 600mg should be safe.  With extracts, not just strait CBD the effectiveness window is much larger also.  Whereas strait CBD you have to be close to a narrow margin.

• 4 weeks later...

I've not posted in this section before don't think I have but I'm quite sure I have PTSD after my liver resection 2 years ago this April. I do quite well most of the time other than hypochondria but when it comes anywhere close to a 'check up', I get very down and anxious.

I have a PET scan on April 11th and won't get the results til April 15th.

Has anyone else had cancer and had their whole psyche turn upside down?

I've not posted in this section before don't think I have but I'm quite sure I have PTSD after my liver resection 2 years ago this April. I do quite well most of the time other than hypochondria but when it comes anywhere close to a 'check up', I get very down and anxious.

I have a PET scan on April 11th and won't get the results til April 15th.

Has anyone else had cancer and had their whole psyche turn upside down?

I feel for your situation. I, too get freaked out when seeing a doctor. A couple of months ago I went to an after-hours clinic due to laringytis and a persistent and angry cough. My blood pressure was 150/90 and my heart rate was 122. Usually, my heart rate is under 70. The doctor said that she wanted to send me to the ER and she wouldn't give me a breathing treatment due to the elevated heart rate. Once I got home, I checked my pulse - 68.

I wish you the best of health.

• 8 months later...

I don't think she was having seizures, I'm pretty sure it's lack of oxygen to the brain.  It was fine till last month.  She started panting a lot and didn't have energy.  We thought it was the heat and allergies.  We went in today and got xrays.  I knew she had a big heart I just didn't realize how big.  She has an inflamed heart which is pressing on her trachea pushing it up out of place and inflammation in the lungs and possible tumors in the lungs(could be blood vessels).  We also found out that, with the separation in her spine and arthritis that she's probably a bit over 10.  Originally we thought she was about 8 this year.  And lastly if the valve filamints? give she could die suddenly.

I upped the CBD dosage today.  She hasn't panted since then other than regular activity.  First we got 100 yds in and she only panted in the jump up in the car.  At 9 tonite she was trying to run and did a bit over 100 yds without panting till she started running back to the car.  I didn't want to pull on the leash so I just went with her the 15 yds.  Thank God the CBD has great anti inflammatory properties along with being good for seizures since my vet misdiagnosed what was happening. Her valve was leaking and she wasn't getting enough oxygen because of the inflammation. Another side effect is that she doesn't seem to have as much trouble getting up and sitting down like she used to.  Seems to have quelled the arthritis a bit.  Here's hoping for the best.

We've definitely leveled her out.  Up to 10mg CBD 3x a day.  Supposedly dogs clear CBD from their system in 9 hours so we went with 8, 4 and midnight.  Tonite we double the CBD night time dose.  Tomorrow she starts doxycyclene.  At least she's not a zombie like she was before.  She's active other than just going out to pee and actually barks again and dances a little and tries to trot, for a couple yards then she's panting again.  She can make it 100yds out and back int eh middle of the day but only 5 yds out and back in the am(slowly). Hoping that it's a respiratory infection compounding these problems cause if not it's heart and lung disease from the heartworms and it's been progressing since last year or more.  At least she's been coughing a little more as she pretty much stopped coughing stuff up.  Which is probably some of the reason she has fluid in her lungs.

Here's hoping for the best.  Thank God the CBD was able to bring her back a bit since we had to wait a week(tomorrow) to get the doxycyclene compounded.  Shoot without the CBD she'd not have made it this far since this all started last year and we couldn't put her on steroids since they tore up her stomach last time.  i'm so glad she got into my hands considering teh route that would've been taken on anti inflammatories from the vet.  I really think the CBD gave her another good year and may be the only thing that got her thru to the doxycyclene to be an option.  She was bad last week.  And not to mention that I'm getting to see the real her again just in case the doxy doesn't work.  I thought it was allergies and the heat but they were just making it worse, not the cause.

Prayers, thoughts, and crossed fingers are all welcome. :(

Edited by Norby

• 3 years later...

Antiseizure meds really are not very good for pets, they can make your dog aggressive and naughty. I had the same situation with my dog last year, he was suffering with seizures after a terrible fall in the garden. I had a lot of problems with him, but I didn't even think about antiseizure meds, because of it's impact. Goldendoodles are very pretty and energetic dogs, sincerely, I couldn't chose between this breed and labradoodles. For me it was a hard decision, but now I love my pet and will do everything possible to make him feel better! Here i've found a good article petpls.com

Edited by Izzy77