Sanders Says He'd Remove Marijuana From Federal Drug List

Sanders says he'd remove marijuana from federal drug list

FAIRFAX, Va. (AP) — Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders said Wednesday if elected president he would seek to remove marijuana from a list of drugs deemed illegal by the federal government, freeing up states to regulate pot like alcohol or tobacco....

http://news.yahoo.com/sanders-says-hed-remove-marijuana-federal-drug-list-230907177--election.html;_ylt=A0LEVyvScjFWlnoAgK1XNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTByMjB0aG5zBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--

FAIRFAX, Va. (AP) — Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders said Wednesday if elected president he would seek to remove marijuana from a list of drugs deemed illegal by the federal government, freeing up states to regulate pot like alcohol or tobacco.

Totally worthless without the best option on the table: Allowing States to remove it also.

The Democratic presidential candidate said the nation's massive prison population and more than 600,000 arrests last year for marijuana possession demands a shift in the country's drug laws. He said the problem has a racial disparity as well — a black person is nearly four times more likely to be arrested for marijuana than a white person.

"Too many Americans have seen their lives destroyed because they have criminal records as a result of marijuana use. That's wrong. That has got to change," Sanders said at a town hall meeting in Virginia with college students at George Mason University. The event was broadcast online to gatherings on 300 campuses in 50 states.

^That will not stop with bad State laws still on the books. The only way to stop people getting deemed to be criminals by their marijuana use is to get rid of laws that do that. 

Under the plan, states would have the right to regulate marijuana the same way that state and local laws currently govern the sale of alcohol and tobacco. It would allow businesses in states that have legalized marijuana to use the banking system without fear of federal prosecution.

The senator would call for marijuana to be removed from the so-called Schedule 1 of controlled substances regulated by the Drug Enforcement Administration.

Sanders' policy proposal, which was first reported by The Washington Post, separates him from Democratic rivals Hillary Rodham Clinton and Martin O'Malley. Clinton has said she wants to see how the legalization of recreational marijuana plays out in states like Colorado and Washington. O'Malley wants to reclassify marijuana under federal drug laws and make it a so-called Schedule 2 drug, similar to cocaine.

Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., speaks at a town hall meeting with stu …

Schedule 1 drugs are considered to have a greater potential for abuse and pose a safety issue.

The issue has played a minor role in the Democratic primary campaign so far. In the first debate in Las Vegas last month, Clinton noted her support of medical marijuana and backed stopping the imprisonment of people who use marijuana. Sanders signaled support for a Nevada proposal legalizing recreational marijuana use next year.

Four states have legalized recreational marijuana: Colorado, Washington, Oregon and Alaska. Under the Sanders plan, people in states which legalize marijuana would no longer be subject to federal prosecution for using pot.

But they would still be subject to State Prosecution because of the greed oriented new laws.

The senator said if some states went forward, it could lead to new revenues for states that could be used to fight the effects of substance abuse from drugs like heroin that have ravaged communities.

"It is time to tax and regulate marijuana like alcohol. It is time to end the arrests of so many people and the destruction of so many lives for possessing marijuana," Sanders said.

Think Bernie Think. You are only half way, half baked.

Telling it like it is:

We just want to be left alone to grow our own without BS restrictions that funnel us to a pot store. No one I know wants to go to a pot store and pay them for their worthless overhead when they can grow it themselves, or get it from a friend, or friend of a friend, without any overhead or regulation. I know that is just ridiculously simple and no one with a pile of money or dollar signs in their eyes can see it. 

This story just broke yesterday after Bernie said that. I'm sure his staff is looking for a bounce from it. They will be looking at the prominent marijuana states which includes Michigan. They will look here for sure. Right here on this web site. Next time you see a press release/piece I want it to read that many can't afford regulation, don't want regulation, would rather all penalties just go away. Is he trying to get votes from the rich who will run the monopoly stores or We The People? I think he wants our votes and we need to tell him the better way to do that. Please join me. If you don't speak up forever hold your piece, while you are being flogged by the monopolies, and going to jail because they rule cannabis from back rooms filled with cigar smoke, not cannabis smoke. 

you talk the talk, but who you gonna vote for?

Do you honestly believe a politician running for prez?

They all promise you the world and once in, they dont/cant do any of it.

Im holding out my vote untill some one can deliver what they promise!

Peace

Just think of all those stupid laws and rules that would go straight into the trash. No one ever going to jail for cannabis again. That's the end zone folks. 

I just can't wait for the day I can say to law enforcement, "NO, you can't make money off of it any more" Oh, how sweet that will be.

I totaly agree with most if not all of what you said in here!

That dont happen to often eh? bawahahahahaha!

Peace

Kewl, China will be able to remediate their toxic metal soils and send it here for us to smoke.  Yay!

Russia will finally be able to make money off of Chernobyl again and have us pay the bill to get rid of that pesky radiation there. They may even use TGA's Chernobyl as the signature strain. :)

The corporations can drop the price to $5 an oz.  Of course there's will be fertilized with radioactive fertilizer and sprayed with heavy pesticides and fungicides, but it'll be cheap and competitive(not really but....no one will get busted).

Bernie definitely has my vote if he makes it. He's the unpolitician, he even said to one of the other dem candidates "if you think you can pass a gun bill without bringing the rural and urban to the table you're wrong" or something like that.  That's the best statement I've heard on MJ from any candidate yet. President can't do much if he doesn't have congress and the rest of the politicians behind him though.

What other Dem has come out for decriminalization, legalization, etc.  Hillary hasn't to my knowledge.

Is there anywhere legalized that you can't grow your own?  Wasn't DC that you could only grow it and give it away?  Didn't they change that?

Edited by Norby

Kewl, China will be able to remediate their toxic metal soils and send it here for us to smoke.  Yay!

Russia will finally be able to make money off of Chernobyl again and have us pay the bill to get rid of that pesky radiation there. They may even use TGA's Chernobyl as the signature strain. :)

The corporations can drop the price to $5 an oz.  Of course there's will be fertilized with radioactive fertilizer and sprayed with heavy pesticides and fungicides, but it'll be cheap and competitive(not really but....no one will get busted).

Bernie definitely has my vote if he makes it. He's the unpolitician, he even said to one of the other dem candidates "if you think you can pass a gun bill without bringing the rural and urban to the table you're wrong" or something like that.  That's the best statement I've heard on MJ from any candidate yet. President can't do much if he doesn't have congress and the rest of the politicians behind him though.

What other Dem has come out for decriminalization, legalization, etc.  Hillary hasn't to my knowledge.

Is there anywhere legalized that you can't grow your own?  Wasn't DC that you could only grow it and give it away?  Didn't they change that?

Why would anyone buy cannabis from China and Russia when they can buy Michigan Home Grown? I believe that's totally a made up straw man scenario.

I think you are underestimating your fellow man. We are much smarter than you give us credit for. And we don't need laws that protect us from ourselves. If someone wants to be dumb enough to buy cannabis from China and Russia let them. That's America!

Edited by Restorium2

FAIRFAX, Va. (AP) — Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders said Wednesday if elected president he would seek to remove marijuana from a list of drugs deemed illegal by the federal government, freeing up states to regulate pot like alcohol or tobacco.

Totally worthless without the best option on the table: Allowing States to remove it also.

The Democratic presidential candidate said the nation's massive prison population and more than 600,000 arrests last year for marijuana possession demands a shift in the country's drug laws. He said the problem has a racial disparity as well — a black person is nearly four times more likely to be arrested for marijuana than a white person.

"Too many Americans have seen their lives destroyed because they have criminal records as a result of marijuana use. That's wrong. That has got to change," Sanders said at a town hall meeting in Virginia with college students at George Mason University. The event was broadcast online to gatherings on 300 campuses in 50 states.

^That will not stop with bad State laws still on the books. The only way to stop people getting deemed to be criminals by their marijuana use is to get rid of laws that do that. 

Under the plan, states would have the right to regulate marijuana the same way that state and local laws currently govern the sale of alcohol and tobacco. It would allow businesses in states that have legalized marijuana to use the banking system without fear of federal prosecution.

The senator would call for marijuana to be removed from the so-called Schedule 1 of controlled substances regulated by the Drug Enforcement Administration.

Sanders' policy proposal, which was first reported by The Washington Post, separates him from Democratic rivals Hillary Rodham Clinton and Martin O'Malley. Clinton has said she wants to see how the legalization of recreational marijuana plays out in states like Colorado and Washington. O'Malley wants to reclassify marijuana under federal drug laws and make it a so-called Schedule 2 drug, similar to cocaine.

Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., speaks at a town hall meeting with stu …

Schedule 1 drugs are considered to have a greater potential for abuse and pose a safety issue.

The issue has played a minor role in the Democratic primary campaign so far. In the first debate in Las Vegas last month, Clinton noted her support of medical marijuana and backed stopping the imprisonment of people who use marijuana. Sanders signaled support for a Nevada proposal legalizing recreational marijuana use next year.

Four states have legalized recreational marijuana: Colorado, Washington, Oregon and Alaska. Under the Sanders plan, people in states which legalize marijuana would no longer be subject to federal prosecution for using pot.

But they would still be subject to State Prosecution because of the greed oriented new laws.

The senator said if some states went forward, it could lead to new revenues for states that could be used to fight the effects of substance abuse from drugs like heroin that have ravaged communities.

"It is time to tax and regulate marijuana like alcohol. It is time to end the arrests of so many people and the destruction of so many lives for possessing marijuana," Sanders said.

Think Bernie Think. You are only half way, half baked.

Really?  You want an imperial president?  What needs to be done first is exactly what Bernie is saying; Remove it from federal regulation first, then it's up to us to vote the people into office to change it at the state and local levels.

Why would anyone buy cannabis from China and Russia when they can buy Michigan Home Grown? I believe that's totally a made up straw man scenario.

I think you are underestimating your fellow man. We are much smarter than you give us credit for. And we don't need laws that protect us from ourselves. If someone wants to be dumb enough to buy cannabis from China and Russia let them. That's America!

That's what I thought till I saw the pesticide tests done here on mexican pot.  Some people just can't afford it.  Why would anyone buy anything made in China?  but they do and now it's hard to find stuff made in America.

Shoot our gov't subsidizes our food growing so that we dump off cheap food in places destabilizing their economy by undercutting their local farmers.  i could see China funding such an initiative to remediate their soils and sending it to us to undercut and destroy our mkts. here.  Not that far fetched.

Edited by Norby

The pope just endorsed Bernie, we're in good company. :)

Alcohol and tobacco need to be regulated because people mess things up and adulterate things and can't just throw them out if they screw up on that investment.  As with foods.  These things in and of themselves cause no problems but when adulterated or not stored properly or dried improperly can be unhealthy, esp when concentrated with things like mycotoxins and allergens.  You can buy enough alcohol in a day to kill yourself, you can smoke enough cigarettes to create a problem even with regulation and legality.  The regulation is because people are ingesting it.

I pay extra in health insurance because I smoke, so the taxes aren't doing anything for that and I can grow my own tobacco and get around the taxes and regulation and i can do the same with alcohol.  But I can't buy it from someone else.  The regulations are to keep it out of the hands of kids also.  Unless you think 12yo should be able to buy a pack of joints without parental consent?

Edited by Norby

The pope just endorsed Bernie, we're in good company. :)

Alcohol and tobacco need to be regulated because people mess things up and adulterate things and can't just throw them out if they screw up on that investment.  As with foods.  These things in and of themselves cause no problems but when adulterated or not stored properly or dried improperly can be unhealthy, esp when concentrated with things like mycotoxins and allergens.  You can buy enough alcohol in a day to kill yourself, you can smoke enough cigarettes to create a problem even with regulation and legality.  The regulation is because people are ingesting it.

I pay extra in health insurance because I smoke, so the taxes aren't doing anything for that and I can grow my own tobacco and get around the taxes and regulation and i can do the same with alcohol.  But I can't buy it from someone else.  The regulations are to keep it out of the hands of kids also.  Unless you think 12yo should be able to buy a pack of joints without parental consent?

You had to go and play that lame, "But the children..." card. 

Where is a kid going to really buy a pack of joints? I mean, come on get real. That's totally ridiculous.