Safety And Other Crappy Locks For Grow Room?

zachw

Ya know the ones, they're commonly used for bathrooms and lock with a push button but can be opened with any key or coin or screwdriver. What I'd like to do is put my grow area in a closet in a bedroom. The bedroom isn't usually occupied but would be occasionally. The main door would be locked with one of those safety locks. 

The closet has two doors with folding panels (each 36" wide door has two 18" panels). I haven't figured out how to lock those doors yet or prevent the lifting of the pins at the bottom of each door and thus making it easy to remove the doors even when locked.

Just wanna comply with the letter of the law: "secured locks or other functioning security devices that permit access only by a registered primary caregiver or registered qualifying patient." 

Advice?

use a combo lock, no need for keys. is what I suggest.

any luck that works should be ok. Just think how it goes if a cop comes along, will he be able to get in with out a tool?

as for locking closets, there are special ones for keeping children from opening closets. they kind of lock around the knobs. you might be able to put the lock on that.

I personally would not worry about the door pins. you can get into most doors with a screwdriver, or a credit card. I hope the law was just meant for keeping out regular schmucks and you didn't have to build your house like fort Knox.

consider putting a lock on the bedroom door too though. they gave larry bunny muffin for having plants in a closet too, back in 2009 and his case went to the supreme court...

I'm still POed with how the courts interpreted this. Gersh Avery made a very good point years ago - that "permit" implies that the grower allows/agrees to access. The law doesn't say that the grower must use locks that prevent access. In other words, the law never intended that the grower take extreme measures to prevent access, only that the grower uses locks and doesn't permit access to others. Read the definition of "permit," and you'll understand.

The courts interpreted the law in such a way that seems to put far more responsibility on the grower than what the law intended.

use a combo lock, no need for keys. is what I suggest.

any luck that works should be ok. Just think how it goes if a cop comes along, will he be able to get in with out a tool?

as for locking closets, there are special ones for keeping children from opening closets. they kind of lock around the knobs. you might be able to put the lock on that.

I personally would not worry about the door pins. you can get into most doors with a screwdriver, or a credit card. I hope the law was just meant for keeping out regular schmucks and you didn't have to build your house like fort Knox.

consider putting a lock on the bedroom door too though. they gave larry bunny muffin for having plants in a closet too, back in 2009 and his case went to the supreme court...

Well I  was thinking that a bathroom style lock would kill two birds as 1) when the bedroom was occupied it be used as a bedroom lock but still allow easy access in emergency and 2) could be insecurely locked from the outside when no one was using the bedroom. 

The closet would be additionally locked, but again, not necessarily super securely.

• 3 weeks later...

I went to a local Ace hardware, to get a new locking hasp and padlock to refit my GR door with something pretty sturdy, by the time I found the hasp, and a decent padlock it cost more than just buying a brand locking doorknob you'd put on an outside door. So I bought the brand new locking doorknob kit, and said forget the hasp/padlock.