On Ballot, Ohio Grapples With Specter Of Marijuana Monopoly

zachw

Unfortunately, the Ohio Cartel model will not prevent anyone going to jail in Ohio that are currently doing to jail. Other legalization models may do that but Ohio is not sending anyone to jail for possession of 1 ounce.
In fact, I argue more people will be going to jail due to the more severe penalties called for by the amendment on what will still be illegal. 
That is called a scam. Untrue things are being stated. This is not progress for Ohio. It can't be changed in the future unless we could bring another ballot initiative. 
If we weren't already decriminalized, this might be progress but we are allowed a quarter pound and its only a small ticket. Post cartel, that will be a more harsh penalty. How is that progress? 
It's not. Take e Cartel elsewhere and please don't support a state takeover.

We the People of Ohio are clearly in one accord.

Take this bill and shove it!,  we dont trust them greedy ores.

People of Ohio....VOTE    its All we got!  

BTW    I VOTED TODAY  

DID YOU?

Edited by beourbud

It's a misdemeanor for up to 100g, no incarceration, and $150 fine.  That's 3.5 ozs. and it does carry a record, not just a ticket.

http://norml.org/laws/item/ohio-penalties-2

So technically a qp would carry 30 days max and a $250 fine and a misdemeanor.  Seems he's deflating the actual laws on the books.

Penalties for trafficking(traveling and carrying in 2 baggies) is 1 year, $2500 and a felony.  I don't know how that adds up to what's proposed in the bill.

More important to me are the medical protections for families, esp oil as opposed to how it's treated now.  2 g of oil is a felony and carries1 year and $2500 in fines.

I'm going to give the advocates that are posting here the benefit of the doubt that they didn't understand and know what they were advocating for. But that window just closed.

You're to soft, slam that window shut on their fingers for trying to screw us.

They lost all integrity and credibility .

Edited by beourbud

I do not think that incremental progress will work in a positive sense. If it has any effect it is for more people to see the waste of the drug war, but is seeing it from the inside of the machine through arrest and prosecution really what is desired for marijuana? The answer should be clearly no, but it is not clear to many.

In my view incremental progress will always be one step forward one step back. We've seen the way they've attempted to nullify the medical law through legislation, bizarre court rulings and local prohibitions that are clearly illegal as defined in the Michigan Medical Marihuana Act.

The only way to keep everyone safe is to remove all criminal penalties for cannabis.

It's not a difficult concept. Repeal all the cannabis laws put in place since 1937. That should be our end goal. Anything short of that will leave the prohibitionists with plenty of ammo to use against us.

I don't think so.  They'll pull the "it's an intoxicant thing and the children thing" and put in what THEY want instead of having to convince people to change a law that's already there which WE decided on which they'll have to get 75% instead of 50% of the legislature behind them.  No 5 nanogram limit, no transport law!  They voted in a transport bill with like 90% approval. We can't vote all teh dems AND republicans out.

If it's a decrim bill to make it so they CAN'T ever make laws against mj most of the people wouldn't vote for it, even those for medical.  They don't want to loose all control over the smell and extracts and the kids and driving. 

Edited by Norby

The Mexican Supreme Court just declared that the prohibition against growing and personal consumption of cannabis is unconstitutional and Canada's Prime Minister has declared his intention to legalize.

If all prohibitions were removed here what excuse could they use to make it illegal again? Not only does a majority of people in this country think the drug warriors need to go, the entire continent is against them.

They're on the wrong side of history and need to be eliminated now that they're on the skids, not compromised with.

Because it's an intoxicant and they can't have people driving on it?  Personally I'd want something saying they had to prove impairment on DUI instead of a nanogram limit and would like protections for home growing on anything I'm voting for.  I'd want protections for administering to my kids cause I'd be worried about them getting taken even after decrim.  I don't trust them period, not in this state.

How'd tehy make it illegal in the first place?  How are they rolling back protections here?  Why is Mi going backwards?  Because there are still anti's out there.

Slaves were released how many years ago and there still are racists out there and racist policies.

so we decrim statewide, no more cannabis laws in the state mcl.

great.

what about cities like wyoming, livonia, west bloomfield that have local ordinances banning anything thats illegal federally?

deal with them on a city to city basis?

When the republican politicians feel the Bern they will start falling like dominos. The cities will follow after the first one is sued.

We the People Will Support Complete Decriminalization till our last breath

The first step is remove the prohibitionists republicans from office.

It is just that simple.

Michigan should have lead the way to Decriminalization but the fknrepublicans got in our way.

Vote....Free the Weed

I wouldn't put all my chips on milegal. It's not close enough to Decriminalization.

I would be surprised if it collects enough signatures.

Now by contrast I have yet to meet anyone opposed to Complete Decriminqlization except republicans

You need to get out more.  Every dem who voted for the transport law is against complete decrim.  And that was a lot of dems to vote out with all the republicans.  Is starting over and finding politicians who aren't anti's our only hope?  Cause it won't work.  How quickly we forget the transport bill.

You need to get out more.  Every dem who voted for the transport law is against complete decrim.  And that was a lot of dems to vote out with all the republicans.  Is starting over and finding politicians who aren't anti's our only hope?  Cause it won't work.  How quickly we forget the transport bill.

Yes. You can be as neggy as you want to but that's the path and you had better head on down that road because it's long. Rolling around in the mud on the side of the road only gets you muddy. Best giddy up son. Ignore distractions.