Hey Guys, Please Help Design A Grow Closet

So here's the closet.

closet.jpg

I'd like to ideally divide this into two sections one for smaller seedlings, the other for larger ones (I'm guessing three max??) Primary concern at this point is how to best create the two sections, keeping them well enclosed and separate from each other. 

Electricity comes from a socket on the wall at left.

For exhaust I can either cut a hole in the "lip" above and run hose to the window or cut in the ceiling which leads to the attic. After researching, I'm really not worried about exhaust into the attic since it is well vented and this will be a small grow. Besides, I could always run the exhaust hose to a passive gable vent nearby 

I was thinking along the lines of constructing a plastic tent (bifold doors could keep things dark if necessary) rather than go whole hog and make this into a wood working construction project. But maybe I'm on the wrong track.

Been going through lots of images on the net and haven't seen one that starts off with a similar space. Any construction or other kinds of tips? 

Thanks yous!

If you can extend that closet out to where it has 3' depth instead of 2', you can pull off a nice set up.

3' x 4' area is perfect for a 600W HPS.

Currently I am using 1000W HPS (2 of them) but I must say a 3' x 4' with a 600 HPS outperforms the 1000W watt for watt. It was easier working with a 3 x 4 area. My larger closet has a little over 4' depth and is a little more difficult.

Count on it being a challenge, especially since you have a height issue. This is if you plan to use HID.

If you had 8' on the width, then I would suggest going with high output fluorescent lights and make a shelving unit.

How I built my closet may give you some ideas. I had a handyman help me with it. http://michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/blog/532/entry-840-2000-watt-custom-cooled-closet-and-more/

Just for seedlings, you can pull it off with 4' fluorescent on one side and on the other side LEDs. I veg full size plants with fluorescent lights.

Edited by GrowGoddess

Thanks. I'm not sure on this being a permanent space and really would prefer not building out into the room. So that means I'm stuck with 2 ft. deep. and 7+ feet for height and width. 

Upon consideration, I may just make this one large area and thus not worry about separate lighting cycles since I have a pretty nice fluorescent shelf unit for seedlings that can go elsewhere.

Edited by zachw

Without getting into a big work working project it will be hard to separate this space into a veg and flower room and keep it light-tight. You might consider auto flowers. Some of the best plants I've grown were Sagaramatha auto flowers. In the space that you have, you could run two, 8 bulb T 5s side by side. This would help with the heat issue and you could easily run both lights, a fan, and a small 4-inch exhaust blower to vent to the attic off one 15 amp electrical socket. Your monthly electrical use might be about $40-$50. Or, rather than use auto flowers, just buy clones for about $10-$20 each and put the clones directly into flower.

with a similar closet space, after weighing my options of permanent changes, damages, etc, I opted for a secret jardin tent. I found one perfect for my size and it rocked.

they have ones with dividers, shelving, tray areas, etc. I loved it.

Thanks - those look cool! Tents may actually be the most cost effective way to go rather than doing a time consuming DIY retrofit. Found a promising unit for about $85. I will need two areas since it is important that I have a perpetual non-flowering area to provide a constant stream of leaves for raw juicing.

Thats the same size I showed you for my veg tent. with your grow buckets you dont have alot of height for buddz!

I ordered mine from htg supply, it came with a t-5 four bulb fixture with bulbs, 6" inline fan, a six" clip on fan flanges, meters,etc price 299.95, check out their mother keeper kit, they have the larger tents also that come with or w/o all equip necisarry!

Have fun!

Peace

I don't believe in starting with the build.  I believe in starting with the end goal, so complete the following sentence.

"I am growing in order to...." 

Possible answers could be:

...to entertain myself.

...to get material for making budder."  

...to get smoke."  

...to gain experience by starting out with just one plant and get my feet wet." 

You have to be goal-focused because that determines the build.

So zachw, what is your goal?

Edited by pic book

I don't believe in starting with the build.  I believe in starting with the end goal, so complete the following sentence.

"I am growing in order to...." 

Possible answers could be:

...to entertain myself.

...to get material for making budder."  

...to get smoke."  

...to gain experience by starting out with just one plant and get my feet wet." 

You have to be goal-focused because that determines the build.

So zachw, what is your goal?

The main goal is to have a continual supply of fresh leaves for raw juicing.

Would be nice to have a couple of plants for flowers for herb & concentrates but it's not the primary need since these products are easily procured elsewhere.

Have no aspirations for a large grow (currently legal for 24 plants, soon 36). Pretty sure that the closet space will be plenty large enough for my needs.