Seedlings Growing Very Slow.

Digitalmixx187

I can't make the GS tonight, they close in six mins, but I'll be there first thing tomorrow. What else can I use besides light warrior? My usual shop doesn't stock it.

How long have they been in?

I'd suggest you get some sunshine advanced #4 if you don't want to mess with feeding babies. There's just enough juice for about two weeks.

From there you use 1/4 strength nutes or you grow organic like a boss.

I greatly appreciate all the info and help KingD, I have a two bulb T-8 that I could put them under, I have the area they are in at no more than 82-84 degrees, but if it's to much light intensity I can definitely move them for the time being. I've waited a long time to raise my red dragon babies and I'll do whatever I can to make them live a happy life.

Another thing you should be using a T-8 or T-12 fluoro fixture $9.99 at home depot $6 for the bulbs T-5s put out way too much heat for sprouts I dont put them under my T-5s until they are teens you can also use a dual Y bulb socket with two low wattage twisty bulbs.

I have to disagree. I'm 100% on seeds under my t-5's. I don't put them two inches under it, but that's just a matter of light management. Raise light or lower plants...

I have to disagree. I'm 100% on seeds under my t-5's. I don't put them two inches under it, but that's just a matter of light management. Raise light or lower plants...

Each persons garden environments are different my babys always suffered under a T-5 fixture here no issues since switching to the T-12s.

Each persons garden environments are different my babys always suffered under a T-5 fixture here no issues since switching to the T-12s.

absolutely true. I just favor a resolution that doesn't involve added costs and growing piles of old equipment. I have to shake my head every time I look at all the "junk" I've accumulated.

I should add that my t5 for clones and seeds has 10k bulbs mixed in. Seems to keep nodes tighter.

Edited by suneday11

In my limited growing experience I found that soil you are using is too hot for seedlings.

Your soil is way too wet, I know cuz I've done the same.  You will also run into other

issues w/ soil that wet... damping off and fungus gnats can and do happen.

The roots are very tender at this stage just be careful when you transplant.  I tip the

cup sideways into my hand w/ fingers splayed a bit then gently tilt and shake to let the

loose soil drop away then gently place the seedling into the new pre moistened soil. 

Moist but not wet is the ticket.  I do not water my seedlings in the conventional sense...

I spray the top of the soil w/a fine mist 10-15 pumps depending upon how dry it looks.

I'm not as experienced as those who have answered thus far but... in this area I had

to learn just as you are learning now and I lost many in the learning.

good luck

IMO the roots grow best when the soil is starting to drying out. The plant is seeking more sources of water.

Letting the soil dry a little is way better than over water for sure. You can add water to dry soil and most likely they will bounce back, over water will get you to the point of no return and fast.

I gauge my water needs by the weight of the plant container at this stage.

You can feel the cup lighten as the soil drys.

Hope this help.

We democrats are here for ya.

This might help. Don't add any fertilizer until you see healthy roots.

April Johnson, landscape and greenhouse coordinator at the Rodale Institute near Kutztown, Pennsylvania, grows literally thousands of organic vegetable, flower, and herb transplants every year. Many of her seedlings end up in the Institute’s production and display gardens; others are sold to local gardeners at two spring fundraisers. After many years of experimenting with recipes for indoor seed-starting mixes, Johnson has settled on this general formula.

• 4 parts screened compost
  • 1 part perlite
  • 1 part vermiculite
  • 2 parts coir

Well, I got a bag of organic soil to move the babies into, the N-P-K on it is extremely low, everything was in the tenths of a percent. I got all the red dragons, and my freebie "blueberry f2" transplanted into there new digs, I thought for fun, I'd try moving one up to a gallon grow bag, some of them had thin roots, some were very heavy and starting to circle, so I have a feeling that within about two weeks(fingers crossed they all make it that far) I will have to transplant them again! But at least that means they will be alive!!

Thanks everyone so much for the help, I was so lost, this isn't my first grow, but it is my first seed grow. I'm eternally grateful to you guys and gals. This red dragon strain has special meaning to my partner and I, I'm so happy to finally be cultivating it for her and myself.

post-39488-0-71089400-1447448153_thumb.jpg

I was thinking about putting them right into one gallon grow bags when I transplant them to the "cooler" soil, I'm not sure if the opposite of nutrient filled "hot" soil is "cold" soil, but I'm using it. Anyway, Thoughts on going right to one gallon plastic grow bags??!??

Ive found placing a small seedling in a big container slows the plants growth a bit im assuming its because all of the water goes into the bottom of the pot and bypasses the majority of the root.