There’S No Access:” Medical Marijuana Patients Without Caregivers, Dispensary Shut-Down

bobandtorey

the fact of the matter is that noone should be incarcerated for marijuana.  Everyone who posted above against this guy is part of the problem.  fauk you prohibitionists.

I agree with you up to a point. Where I lose sympathy with someone is when they don't seem to care that they jeopardize the MMJ law that many people follow when they do something stupid and claim they thought the MMJ law protects them. Fauk the greedy people who give us others who follow the law a bad name and try to hide behind a shield of stupidity and claim, "I was just trying to help people."

If someone wants to run a dispensary, run the fauking dispensary but quit pretending that you think the Michigan voters approved that. And if/when you get raided, put on your fauking big boy pants and don't tarnish the MMMA in the public opinion by pretending that you rhink the MMMA made it ok. That makes the rest of us look bad. Find some other law to defend yourself with.

somebody charging 30 a gram should be flogged. Period.

really? I believe this to be a high price to pay, but one gas station to the next, one pharmacy to the next, one electrician to the next, contractors, doctors, just about all products and service offerings operate this way, with no floggings till Faux news gets wind of the gasser of course...lol. If patients are lining up at a disp and pay 50 bucks a gram, who am I to judge him for being the only operator in 25 miles willing to take on the risks of such an endeavor and expecting a premium for doing so? Ifthe price was truly "too much" the place would not have customers I think. Without police protections the biz is fly by night perhaps, and you gotta dip in quick and heavy for the returns I'm guessing.

Considering some patients fully expect free marijuana at one end of the spectrum, I'm supposing "over charging" is subjectively judged by the consumers/patients along side of competitors. in less words, garyfisher was right on! "Simple supply and demand will fix this problem."

peace, enjoy the evening!

I'm a out-west fella at heart. never ever have i seen or heard of anything more than 35 an 1/8....sorry...my patients pay less than 5 a gram and ive never seen one leave....

i provide for myself and my wife. four others can benefit. although a local dispensary would bunny muffin itself for my wares, there are more important things.

settle down gary.....police dont flog anymore. hyperbole is the key here

Edited by suneday11

really? I believe this to be a high price to pay, but one gas station to the next, one pharmacy to the next, one electrician to the next, contractors, doctors, just about all products and service offerings operate this way, with no floggings till Faux news gets wind of the gasser of course...lol. If patients are lining up at a disp and pay 50 bucks a gram, who am I to judge him for being the only operator in 25 miles willing to take on the risks of such an endeavor and expecting a premium for doing so? Ifthe price was truly "too much" the place would not have customers I think. Without police protections the biz is fly by night perhaps, and you gotta dip in quick and heavy for the returns I'm guessing.

Considering some patients fully expect free marijuana at one end of the spectrum, I'm supposing "over charging" is subjectively judged by the consumers/patients along side of competitors. in less words, garyfisher was right on! "Simple supply and demand will fix this problem."

peace, enjoy the evening!

word. i didn't need to eat a cack for it. F*ck this place. F*ck all the vitriol, F*ck all the hatred. I gave it a chance this morning and now i need to eat a cack...ok.....them crazy bald heads #donezo

Edited by suneday11

I agree with you up to a point. Where I lose sympathy with someone is when they don't seem to care that they jeopardize the MMJ law that many people follow when they do something stupid and claim they thought the MMJ law protects them. Fauk the greedy people who give us others who follow the law a bad name and try to hide behind a shield of stupidity and claim, "I was just trying to help people."

If someone wants to run a dispensary, run the fauking dispensary but quit pretending that you think the Michigan voters approved that. And if/when you get raided, put on your fauking big boy pants and don't tarnish the MMMA in the public opinion by pretending that you rhink the MMMA made it ok. That makes the rest of us look bad. Find some other law to defend yourself with.

Nothing "makes us look bad" but the judges, politicians and cops.  Not one of those patients broke the law going there and I don't see anyone else sticking their neck out to help these patients.  In the spirit of the law(one word, which I think is still misinterpretted) there should have been a place in the open for patients to go, whether it be farmers mkt or dispensary.

When I say no one should get arrested over a plant I mean NO ONE should be hassled over a plant.

Do you realize you are blaming this guy for corrupt policy and cops?  Why not put the blame where it is deserved?  Certain cops and judges.

Edited by Norby

To me,... I could care less that these people are selling weed illegally. Who cares right? Sell all you want to whoever ya want to.

But, don't pretend to be legal. Act like you are still black market because you are. Knowingly Trying to hide under the umbrella of patient protections so you can openly sell marijuana like a corner dime bag dealer is wrong.  Either be illegal and sell illegal and I hope you don't get caught,.. or follow the current CG supply law.  Don't give everyone else a black eye. I would rate this like "selling dope disguised as a nun" (kudos to those that get the reference).

Also, don't act like every patient needs a CG either.  Huge swaths of patients are self sufficient, or are very sufficient and became CG's.  I meet very few non-patient caregivers. 

So,.. wanna solve this problem without dispensaries.

Allow patients to have 2 caregivers, and allow caregivers to have up to ten patients without an increase to plant counts. (max 60 or 72 depending on your situation)

There ya go. Problem solved and no need for dispensaries.

For a bonus,... allow patient to patient transfers with no compensation.  Problem truly solved.

the fact of the matter is that noone should be incarcerated for marijuana.  Everyone who posted above against this guy is part of the problem.  fauk you prohibitionists. 

eat a cack.  Simple supply and demand will fix this problem.    Anyone who wishes jail upon another marijuana user is a POS in my book. 

I agree.............

Miller told FOX 17 he wanted to fight the charge through to a jury of his peers, but the high legal costs on top of what was seized forced him to take a plea deal earlier this week.

wanted to fight. lots of people want to fight but only a few have taken it to the END. wheres kingpinn?

wheres kingpinn? i would like to know also has anyone seen any Court papers on his case ?

The guy got busted because he broke the law.

No one wants anyone going to jail for cannabis but some ,like this guy act like his bad actions won't have any impact on the rest of us.

It does. Guys like him bring a pox into our house.

If you want to Free the Weed....Join us in decriminalizing cannabis completely.

Drug dealers running dispensaries , hiding behind our good law....fkm.

Free the Weed. Decriminalize. No Crime, No Time, No Fine

Edited by beourbud

The guy got busted because he broke the law.

No one wants anyone going to jail for cannabis but some ,like this guy act like his bad actions won't have any impact on the rest of us.

It does. Guys like him bring a pox into our house.

If you want to Free the Weed....Join us in decriminalizing cannabis completely.

Any attempts to manipulate the law now will end up just like this greedy fool.

Drug dealers running dispensaries , hiding behind our good law....fkm.

Free the Weed. Decriminalize. No Crime, No Time, No Fine

No it doesn't.  Not to anyone who isn't already anti.

The law allows a patient to buy from anywhere.  So you think they should only be able to buy from the caregiver they are linked to?  Where are patients supposed to get mj from?  By your standards the law should've got rid of the black market?  You make no sense BB.  No one makes you look bad but you.

To me,... I could care less that these people are selling weed illegally. Who cares right? Sell all you want to whoever ya want to.

But, don't pretend to be legal. Act like you are still black market because you are. Knowingly Trying to hide under the umbrella of patient protections so you can openly sell marijuana like a corner dime bag dealer is wrong.  Either be illegal and sell illegal and I hope you don't get caught,.. or follow the current CG supply law.  Don't give everyone else a black eye. I would rate this like "selling dope disguised as a nun" (kudos to those that get the reference).

Also, don't act like every patient needs a CG either.  Huge swaths of patients are self sufficient, or are very sufficient and became CG's.  I meet very few non-patient caregivers. 

So,.. wanna solve this problem without dispensaries.

Allow patients to have 2 caregivers, and allow caregivers to have up to ten patients without an increase to plant counts. (max 60 or 72 depending on your situation)

There ya go. Problem solved and no need for dispensaries.

For a bonus,... allow patient to patient transfers with no compensation.  Problem truly solved.

I didn't see that option.  Dispensaries opened right after the law on a different interpretation on a badly worded law.  Some areas let them be legal, should those shut down too? Just because some places got shut down doesn't mean everyone should, patients need the access or they wouldn't be opening even in light of the raids.

Why is it that caregivers have to give away their extra?  Like no one would accept free meds and sell them to make an extra buck? Why is it that caregivers have to be forced to give away free product?  That's not done with any other industry without a gov't program that compensates. 

Really, negative impact?  You really think that the cops wouldn't be the cops and judges wouldn't be judges if everyone just followed the law?  SOme did and they still go after them. Wake up.  A story like this gets people ON our side, he is now the victim for helping patients.  Why do you worry so much about how people think who will want to put you in jail no matter if you follow the law or not?

Here it is in a nutshell:

1) If dispensary owners spent their time and efforts running Compassion Clubs instead of retail outlets, patients would get their medicine, and fewer people overall would get busted.

2) Most Compassion Club members would be politically organized and educated.

3) Instead they spend their time and efforts running a business that has no real support or defense under current law, and spend their revenues working to change the law to their advantage.

4) When they get busted, the cops get all the cash and use it to further "enforce the law."

5) Some of them also beg the community for money, try to influence the community to protest/attend court dates, etc.

6) When dispensaries are busted, the records are seized and everybody involved is on the radar.

All this to avoid a waiting period, or to get a "candy store" experience with medical marijuana. In my opinion, not worth what has happened.

post-31484-0-24227400-1447513306_thumb.gif

I didn't see that option.  Dispensaries opened right after the law on a different interpretation on a badly worded law.  Some areas let them be legal, should those shut down too? Just because some places got shut down doesn't mean everyone should, patients need the access or they wouldn't be opening even in light of the raids.

Why is it that caregivers have to give away their extra?  Like no one would accept free meds and sell them to make an extra buck? Why is it that caregivers have to be forced to give away free product?  That's not done with any other industry without a gov't program that compensates. 

Really, negative impact?  You really think that the cops wouldn't be the cops and judges wouldn't be judges if everyone just followed the law?  SOme did and they still go after them. Wake up.  A story like this gets people ON our side, he is now the victim for helping patients.  Why do you worry so much about how people think who will want to put you in jail no matter if you follow the law or not?

Hmm lemme see if I heard your post right,,,,

"Money

Money,..

I have a right to other peoples money

money

and,... how dare you state the facts"

Did I get that right/?

My opinion:

I don't care if anyone makes any money.

Spread the wealth.

Allow the growth.

I can list a ton of ordinances directly passed because of dispensaries who said they were caregivers.

I can list hundreds of  examples of how dispensaries claiming to be caregivers have negatively influenced public opinion, caregivers and patients.

I can list how difficult it has made our job in the legislature to protect patients and caregivers rights because of dispensaries claiming legality.

Norby, you're either willfully blind or simply ignorant on this.

Number of registered medical marijuana patients in Michigan grows in past three years

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article/20151114/NEWS/311159957/number-of-registered-medical-marijuana-patients-in-michigan-grows-in

The number of Michigan's active, registered medical marijuana patients is up more than 18,000 people from three years ago, according to the Michigan Medical Marijuana Registry Program, part of Michigan Licensing and Regulatory Affairs in Lansing.

Currently, the state logs 178,629 active, registered medical marijuana patients. Crain's reported that there were about 160,000 in 2012.

The number of active, registered patients with registered caregivers is 68,834 compared with 52,406 in August 2012. Patients using medical marijuana can have a registered caregiver, but it is not required.

The registered caregiver numbers in the last three years went from 27,132 to 33,264. Why a significant jump in registered caregivers?

178,000 patients

68,000 use caregivers. Avg 2 patients/caregiver.

Sounds like a lot of self sufficient patients to me. ;-)

My opinion:

I don't care if anyone makes any money.

Spread the wealth.

Allow the growth.

I can list a ton of ordinances directly passed because of dispensaries who said they were caregivers.

I can list hundreds of  examples of how dispensaries claiming to be caregivers have negatively influenced public opinion, caregivers and patients.

I can list how difficult it has made our job in the legislature to protect patients and caregivers rights because of dispensaries claiming legality.

Norby, you're either willfully blind or simply ignorant on this.

List them?  I do doubt it.  If people are ready to legalize and the cops are overstepping bounds, I don't see how people would be pushed the other way.  Someone is not getting the word out there then.  The antis would be antis if we sat in the corner and folded our hands.  If public perception is off then it's because of the word not getting out or people just not caring.  This idea that if we just act according to how the judges and politicians interpret the law everything will be fine is Billsheute. :) see what I did there?  You think we could win him or snyder over if we just act right and hide?  No wonder there is such a problem, if that's what people here think.

I really can't believe you've been in this that long and haven't figured that out yet.

Now people blowing shiit up while making concentrates, that could scare people.  But selling to just medical patients is covered(for the patient) in the law.  Why should patients have to sneak and be underground?  Just because it's not a big deal to you doesn't mean everyone should have to live that way.  What about A2, flint and detroit?  You think all those dispenses should shut down, even though they are locally tolerated?  And you are supposed to be for the patients?  Your throwing them under the bus, they've chosen where they want to go.

But if you'd rather call me ignorant for choosing another strategy, like sticking together, then go right at it. The current one is failing miserably! Divide more, you are playing right into their trap......

Maybe you're willfully blind or simlpy igorant thinking that you can win playing their game.  Maybe that's why arrests are up and the MMMA has been reeled back so much.  But sure, sit there and call me ignorant, should work out great!!!

Edited by Norby

I see your first mistake.  Thinking what you, or I, think matters.

Some things just are, and many things are simply ammunition.

How many houses have to catch on fire or explode until you think certain types of extractions will be made illegal?

One must understand the dynamics to understand influence to understand results.

Echo chamber arguments are useless.

This is why we can't make any sense out of the situation here;

LANSING, MI — Michigan has the worst government transparency and accountability laws and practices in the country, according a new corruptibility report card from the Center for Public Integrity.

Michigan received a failing grade — and the lowest overall score — from CPI, which measured each state on 250 specific "indicators" related to ethics enforcement, lobbying disclosure, political financing, legislative accountability and more.

Michigan has a "lack of effective disclosure rules for officials in nearly all facets of state government," according to a State Integrity Investigation report by veteran newsman Chad Selweski. "Conflicts of interest and potential public corruption remain buried in an honor system with no honor."

No states received an A grade in the investigation. The top three — Alaska, California and Connecticut — received Cs. CPI released a similar report card in 2012, but the grades are not directly comparable due to new metrics.

Michigan was one of 11 states that received an F in the new report, released Monday. It scored particularly poorly on measurements of accountability for the executive, legislative and judicial branches.

In the Legislature, for instance, Michigan does not require lawmakers to file asset disclosure forms, does not require lawmakers to recuse themselves from actions in which they have a conflict of interest and does not have laws specifically prohibiting cronyism or nepotism when hiring legislative staff.

Selweski, in his overview of the Michigan findings, noted a series of incidents that highlight accountability concerns in the state.

In 2013, language to protect anonymous "issue ad" donors was added to an already controversial bill that doubled campaign contribution limits, a policy that Gov. Rick Snyder eventually signed into law.

19135598-large.jpg

The amendment was added during the middle of a committee hearing — reportedly after a lobbyist intervened — at almost the exact moment Secretary of State Ruth Johnson was announcing new rules that would have required more disclosure.

More recently, the sex scandal that led to the ouster of former Reps. Todd Courser and Cindy Gamrat served as a reminder that the Legislature long ago exempted itself from the state's Freedom of Information Act.

The House Business Office rejected public records requests from reporters covering the scandal and alleged misuse of taxpayer resources. Instead, a report was released after review by outside attorneys.

Michigan also has weak disclosure rules for lobbyists, who are allowed to report their activities "in such a vague format" that the public is almost helpless to understand the potential influence, according to the analysis.

Lobbyists only have to report wining and dining if they spend more than $59 in a month or $375 in a year on an individual lawmaker, and they do not have to disclose which issues or legislation they were actually discussing.

Michigan did earn a high score for its state budget process, ranking 8th in the country.

That process is conducted in a transparent manner that allows for citizen input, according to CPI. Michigan conducts a public revenue estimating conference, the governor releases a budget proposal before lawmakers act and the state makes budget information online in an easily accessible format.

But on most other measurements, Michigan scored poorly. Check out the Center for Public Integrity website for more information on the Michigan rankings.

See,... tpain, you are using logic and sense.  That crapp don't fly in the real world.

Reality is, they will make it specifically illegal, and the more houses that burn, the faster it will happen.

And I am just using a very simple blatant example to demonstrate of much larger philosophical point.

What's really sad here, whether you support dispensaries or not, is that because of the actions of some players, LEOs have a some fat mama pigs to suckle on in the form of asset forfeiture.

It seems pretty clear that this dispensary operator was motivated by greed.  I'm sick and tired of hearing folks like him say "I was just trying to help people."  If you just want to help people, go work at the local soup kitchen, read books to old people, or go do household chores for the invalid. Sign-up five patients on SSDI and give them free meds.  

But if you run a dispensary and give LEO the opportunity to collect (in this case) $41,000+ in CASH to fund their continued enforcement against others, in the end you haven't helped anyone.  All you did was collect profits from patients and caregivers and given that money to LEOs who then use the funds to make life hell for other folks.

Hey HL. This is not a response. Have you read Tim O'Brien's "The Things They Carried?" I would ask in PM if I could.