Anyone Using Pee For Fertilizer?

zachw

Yeah, thanks for mentioning this as I neglected to do so. That is indeed an important consideration especially if one is taking oral contraceptives. Hormones, antibiotics and other medications have been found in the water supply for at least 20 years. Most of this is from folks flushing drugs down the toilet, but there are also contributions from urine & feces. (Throw your unwanted drugs in the garbage, folks!)

I wanted to mention that throwing pharma's in the garbage lands them in a land fill in which they break down and go back into our ground water.

Flushing your pharma's also leaves amounts in our drinking water as the filtering system cannot filter it completely.

Take all unused pharmaceuticals to a proper disposal drop off site in your area PLEASE.  There is procedure to dispose of them properly.

I wanted to mention that throwing pharma's in the garbage lands them in a land fill in which they break down and go back into our ground water.

Flushing your pharma's also leaves amounts in our drinking water as the filtering system cannot filter it completely.

Take all unused pharmaceuticals to a proper disposal drop off site in your area PLEASE.  There is procedure to dispose of them properly.

If you have an available disposal site, yeah, that's best. Otherwise, put it in the garbage:

According to the SMARxT Disposal™ partnership, however, landfills are fine for disposal of pharmaceuticals. This partnership of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, the American Pharmacists Association, and the Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America recommends that medications be crushed and/or dissolved, mixed with kitty litter or other unappealing material (to discourage consumption), then enclosed in a container or sealable baggie before disposal in the trash. The U.S. Office of National Drug Control Policy, in its 2009 “Proper Disposal of Prescription Drugs” factsheet, agrees with this advice where take-back programs are not available. Unused controlled drugs collected by law enforcement typically are incinerated—considered the most effective way to destroy APIs—through licensed medical waste collectors.

edit: argh cant read.

why did they test biosolids and not biosolid ferts like milorganite?

also i'm guessing biosolids are concentrating the pharma drugs, i'd be curious to see the biosolids vs human pee concentrations. because biosolids also are made from bunny muffin, so theres also a question of how much pharma drugs are you peeing vs poo-ing ... not to mention people just flushing their pills and that ends up in the biosolids.

Of course human poo, like other animal feces, need to be properly processed to eliminate pathogens. Just wanted to clear that up for any casual onlooker who thought "cool, I'll just poop on my plants!" 

But cat poo, man stay far away from THAT sh-t (c'mon, we're all grownups here, why does the forum prohibit the usage of the word?), heavy duty brain re-wiring! Toxoplasma in mice makes them attracted to cat pee and more likely to get eaten. May even play a role in cat hoarder syndrome.

A friend of mine when diagnosed w/ HIV was told by his doctor ABSOLUTELY DO NOT clean his kitty litter box. 

If you have an available disposal site, yeah, that's best. Otherwise, put it in the garbage:

According to the SMARxT Disposal™ partnership, however, landfills are fine for disposal of pharmaceuticals. This partnership of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, the American Pharmacists Association, and the Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America recommends that medications be crushed and/or dissolved, mixed with kitty litter or other unappealing material (to discourage consumption), then enclosed in a container or sealable baggie before disposal in the trash. The U.S. Office of National Drug Control Policy, in its 2009 “Proper Disposal of Prescription Drugs” factsheet, agrees with this advice where take-back programs are not available. Unused controlled drugs collected by law enforcement typically are incinerated—considered the most effective way to destroy APIs—through licensed medical waste collectors.

While this is all fine and well... how many people will go through this process to dispose of their pharma's?  I think very, very few.

To just say "put in the garbage" is negligent and misleading imho.  What they suggest to do here does absolutely nothing to keep the

chemicals from leaching into the ground water.

was thinking about this.....I know a septic tank builder/maintenance etc company owner and he telsl me that alcohol and Rx use can affect the function of a septic tank/field.

He points to evidence in his own experience of course, and could be drunk himself. 

But further consideration shows microbes responsible for the breakdown/composting of organic materials like human waste is definitely affected by hormones, petroleum prescriptions, fluoride drugs, tranquilizers antibiotics and more I bet. Some of these same microbes are in healthy functioning cannabis growing soil pots. Maybe the plant does or does not all of these specific compounds, but if something added indoors is killing off beneficial bacteria, fungus and microbes, it is not affecting a resident plant in a positive way and doesn't belong imo.   :bong2:

So plants can absorb nutrients and other stuff during feedings but tainted urine doesnt make its way into the plant yeah that makes sense and lighten up on your tone we are having  a normal conversation bro no need to be rude talking down to me .

anyways you were right and i was wrong.

thanks for debating with me so we could find the answers. even if my tone was snarky.

anyways you were right and i was wrong.

thanks for debating with me so we could find the answers. even if my tone was snarky.

I dont revel in being right I just want to know as much info as I can find to be a better grower I have always been interested in the urine as a fertilizer theory since Hearing Swampy talking about it before his death .

• 2 weeks later...

I watch them stupid survior shows, and see that they make a filter to clean the water they drink, with sand, charcoal and other natural things, If you dig a whole and dump your camper solids tank in it, it will be filtered naturaly before it gets into the drinking water table.

I have no proof but am willing to bet im right!

I worked at a few hospitals and we always took the red boxes and certain linen to the incinerator to get rid of it properly!

I have no problem with people putting a lil water in their med bottles to dissolve it and put it in land fills, I have dug up alot of bottles in very old closed dumps and the only thing that was still there were certain medals and glass, absolutly nothing else that you would normaly put in your garbage, it is all gone and going back into the earth to make more oil bawahahahaha!

It would be kewl to pee xanax laced into your plants, talk about couch lock!  :yahoo-wave: 

Peace

I would try it. What is the dilution?

We've been using urine for a couple years either undiluted to prepare compost or very diluted for direct application to outdoor vegetable plant beds. I'm mostly an indoor newbie and am using the aforementioned finished compost for the soil but haven't yet applied it directly. When it comes time it will be at a 20:1 dilution. Main issue for application to plants is the salt content.

This is a good link for basic info: http://www.nwedible.com/how-to-use-pee-in-your-garden/

This is a project to help reduce the use of commercial fertilizers and waste water: http://richearthinstitute.org/get-involved/donate-urine/

• 2 months later...

so I transplanted two ancient Basil plant pets I've had forever into octopots, from five gallon pails. They're both blessed with large trunks and a huge rootball, it didn't take long to get to the bottom of the octopot reservoirs. One reservoir is plain spring water as usual with organicare in the promix but the other one......yep, you guessed it, no organicare in the promix but.... At onset and every fill(five gallon or so) I added a about a quarter cup of my urine. 

Report;

The plant with organicare/water performs as expected. Lush flavorful bright healthy leaves and vibrant fast growth with many new chutes daily. They taste spicy of anise and I love them fresh at weekly harvests.  Very little maintenance and loves the residual light in the corners, smells wonderful and pests don't like it. enough to have developed the habit of depositing seeds/shucks/scraps of basil on every plant pot dirt surface for a long time. Lots of sprouts to eat at harvest!

The octo with the water/urine promix was the nearly as successful. I didn't see the growth spurt until later, when the tap root peaked through but then new chutes and leaf colors happened quick, and it consumes more water than the other. The leaves are a different texture, like hydro compared to dirt, with these being the hydro. A bit lighter, a little softer, weaker stems. Still just as tasty and thriving. I added a gallon of urine water to the top instead of the bottom on the second fill up and the whole plant showed the love at the same time. I toss a scoop of organicare in there now once in awhile, and stopped using pee. 

I bet it would veg a plant with no other amendments but flowers would suffer later without. I didn't see any harm in its use though, and believe it to provide a solid base to a grower's recipe. :hair:

I thought for sure there would be a stink about the whole urine watering, but my sensitive sniffer found none.