Anybody Do A Diy Led System?

I'm going to have to figure out lights for the flowering side of my little grow closet. The closet is divided it into two compartments, each 4' wide, 2' deep, and 6' high (48 cubic feet). Veg side currently has six plants in 2.8 qt containers, doing well under T5s. I figure the flower side will accommodate 3 (possibly 4) plants in five-gallon containers.

I really like the idea of using LEDs (high grow efficiency, low energy consumption & low heat production). For this small of a grow (<1 square meter per side) it looks like I can get a commercial product for $180 or so. But the much less expensive DIY route intrigues me. 

Has anyone put together their own LED system? Recommendations or cautions?

tanks.

I know of a hi cob Led build /grow journal on another cannabis forum I belong to.

Great results but it was an expensive build.

Almost as expensive as buying one.

Like 70-80 % of pre built units cost.

If you would like it, I will send you a link to it in PM..

Sure thing. But why not just post a link here for the benefit of future generations?

• 3 weeks later...

I bought one of the 200dollar ufo led units a couple years back. The 1 small plant i was able to put under the lights very small footprint grew very slowly. Its now a halloween decoration lol.

A big problem with these lights is most have a small footprint, even the expensive units. Ive seen some that were huge and could cover a 4foot square area, but they were like 2 grand and they used almost as much power as a 1000watt hid