If You Were Going To Put A 'marihuana Caregiver Center' In Detroit (The

pic book

name the December 17 city council regulations call what we know as dispensaries), where within Detroit would you locate it?  I have been in detroit only 5 years, most of that time without a car, so i haven't seen much of the 135 square miles within Detroit's borders.  Many of you know the city better than i and i value your opinions on location, location, location.  I am in the happy situation of having an investor who is funding the retail store (marijuana caregiver center) 100%, and leaving all the decisions up to me.  So to get him his money back, plus a good return, I need help.

I'm sure many have already done the demographics for you by now. Look for where they already are and that's where they will work out.

When contemplating a business model for yourself the main thing to consider is what makes you uniquely more qualified to run that business than most other people. Business is a tough world and if you are not somehow better than the next guy then you will fail. Many folks just dive into a business because they like the idea or product. That's never enough to make you a success in a competitive climate. 

You may want to read Thompson's piece on the new law and then read the law and review the maps for potential no-conflict locations.   The map shows potential "ok" spots in black...

http://thecompassionchronicles.com/wp-content/uploads/Medical-Marijuana-Buffer-Free-Zoning-Map.pdf

Whether they are good spots and whether they are available, it is up to you to determine.  Given that there are at least 100+ current dispensaries in questionable locations, you will be #100+ to check out the spots.  I know the ones that I regularly drive by are occupied businesses.

Thompson's piece which includes links to the new law....

http://thecompassionchronicles.com/2015/12/21/detroit-dispensary-ordinance-the-details/

Like T-Pain said before, you want to be on the border.   Detroit has only 12,000 patients.  You will need the suburban folks to make your business work.  Also suburbanites will not venture into Detroit so you will need a location like 8 mile or Mack on the Eastside.

One added thought...good luck dealing with all the city agencies.  Up until now the dispensaries have ignored them.   

dear handsome gary, i am not in love with the idea myself.  the dec 17, 2015 regs appear to ban edibles, medibles, wax, shatter, caviar and all forms of concentrates that peeps really prefer and get more treatment from.  (the regs guaranty a white {and black} market) in those products).  do i join the black market? No.  Prison would make me worse-off than I am now.

5 years of living on SSD has me wearing clothing with rips, stains and holes and shoes that are the remnants of 2 different pairs, and not having a car.  i live like i am from a third world country.  My parka and my artificial christmas tree were picked from the dump a block away, which is why i rent at this location.  the clothes I'm wearing, also.  For nutrition I am dependent on the food shelves within distance of me pushing my shopping cart.  my residence and clothes show I am poverty-stricken.   my far-sight lenses no longer work.  I can't get glasses so can't upgrade my prescription from 5 years ago when i qualified for medicaid and a bridge card.  Growing is my love but legal growing and caregiving isn't lucrative----unless done illegally. Prison would make me worse off than I am today.  

Now that the city made it (within its borders) legal to sell weed from a qualifying retail space, and it is possible for me to do since ive been offered 100% financing plus a vehicle......hell, it's not my forte but that is why its called WORK and this work is compensated well and I don't have to pass a urine screen for weed.

So then.

I've driven all over Detroit, lots of empty miles to run a bidness.

but you will want suburb money, so you want a location near Detroit border. one that isn't in the worst parts of town...

I would put it on 8 mile between gratiot and hays, if they dont have to many yet, than you have all the east side burbs, warren, roseville, st.clair shores. clinton twp,and on and on and on.

Peace