Leaves Are Curling

Radar5756

Other than a few curling leaves does the plant look otherwise healthy? It might just be leaves dying because the plant is maturing. In which case it's perfectly natural, just like trees losing their leaves in the fall.

My Drakensberg starts yellowing and dropping leaves as soon as it starts to flower. By harvest time there are very few leaves left on the plant.

When I'm  using a balanced nutrient program/ph/ atmosphere/ light,  I don't experience any deficiencies. If a lock out occurs..... the addition of the locked out nutrients have never improved the situation, but repaired parameters have, along with fresh water.

I've had power outs gone unchecked in my indoor rooms and the temps dropped to 53 for two days straight. I saw no issues, except some ridiculously purple colored plants ready to be plucked!  Outside I've grown plants that were harvested with snow on them with no issues.  They are hardy weeds and varying temps are tolerable .

your plants look good, and I'd simply cut the ugly lower leaves no longer providing proper energy to the rest of the plant, and prep a rolling tray...

When I'm  using a balanced nutrient program/ph/ atmosphere/ light,  I don't experience any deficiencies. If a lock out occurs..... the addition of the locked out nutrients have never improved the situation, but repaired parameters have, along with fresh water.

I've had power outs gone unchecked in my indoor rooms and the temps dropped to 53 for two days straight. I saw no issues, except some ridiculously purple colored plants ready to be plucked!  Outside I've grown plants that were harvested with snow on them with no issues.  They are hardy weeds and varying temps are tolerable .

your plants look good, and I'd simply cut the ugly lower leaves no longer providing proper energy to the rest of the plant, and prep a rolling tray...

It happens on some strains when they go into flower. They do it every time whether they are in dirt or hydro. Organic or not. If you haven't had a strain like this you wouldn't have a clue. There's absolutely no sense in cutting off those leaves. 

You may see the same strain curling it leaves up when the sun/light gets them hot. Some strains just have that talent to roll their leaves. Like some people can roll their tongue. 

happens on many strains when they go into flower with reduced nitrogen ferts, yep, see it often. Just like the post above, its a natural state of affairs, just like outdoor nature. Removing non and ill functioning leaves early will reduce the chances of molds and fungus in the garden, and also pests that are attracted to unhealthy leaves.

I can use a refractometer to judge the proper functions of a leaf. If you never used on try google, there are some stellar grow forums devoted to this subject.  

Maybe if the strain was named/verified we could stake down an assumption.  The internet is full of plant specific rules, og needs this, skunk needs this.....but this is erroneous now as most of us cannot verify plant origin species via dna. Perhaps a particular grower has an infected plant and will ultimately experience altered expressions compared to one that is not infected. Most plants carry infections, carried by molds often, and pests, other plants, shoes, etc. These infections will live on forever and can become part of that plants changed dna even, as in the case of virus', or Crown Gall disease.

Of course all kinds of things can cause strange expressions. A fan blowing on a plant can also show curled leaves for example in which case adding more nutrients would do nothing, but a reposition may.   my lower leaves will curl in veg if I cramp the tray and block out light too, I cut them immediately, always have.

Lights-off temperatures in the fifties? Better than in the mid-to-upper seventies, isn't it? Some varieties that aren't normally colored will turn a lovely shades of purple when overnight temps drop into that range during flowering.

One concern about lower temps is lower temps can raise the humidity during lights off and that can lead to mold/mildew issues although mites don't like higher humidity and lower temps.

happens on many strains when they go into flower with reduced nitrogen ferts, yep, see it often. Just like the post above, its a natural state of affairs, just like outdoor nature. Removing non and ill functioning leaves early will reduce the chances of molds and fungus in the garden, and also pests that are attracted to unhealthy leaves.

I can use a refractometer to judge the proper functions of a leaf. If you never used on try google, there are some stellar grow forums devoted to this subject.  

Maybe if the strain was named/verified we could stake down an assumption.  The internet is full of plant specific rules, og needs this, skunk needs this.....but this is erroneous now as most of us cannot verify plant origin species via dna. Perhaps a particular grower has an infected plant and will ultimately experience altered expressions compared to one that is not infected. Most plants carry infections, carried by molds often, and pests, other plants, shoes, etc. These infections will live on forever and can become part of that plants changed dna even, as in the case of virus', or Crown Gall disease.

Of course all kinds of things can cause strange expressions. A fan blowing on a plant can also show curled leaves for example in which case adding more nutrients would do nothing, but a reposition may.   my lower leaves will curl in veg if I cramp the tray and block out light too, I cut them immediately, always have.

Two weeks flower .....

I did see the two week flower point. I believe perhaps the leaf issue(hardly worth any troubled thoughts really) began in veg, and is expressing fault now exponentially, Maybe near half the light supply, different temps, different room, different food even, probably have much to do with the poor, dull, dying leaf.  I used to see it often, before I began lollipopping (removing all lower leaves and stems) my vegged beauties before flowering.

Rotting?

Dead,dying. Work for ya? Yup, remove 'em. No problem, eh?

As was pointed out, the dying leaves attracts pests, fungus, and other unwanted nuisances. When a leaf has reached a certain point, it no longer aids in plant development and will eventually dry to a crisp and lend to the aforementioned problems, or it will rot somewhere in a puddle of water and lend to the aforementioned problems.

Clean your room daily and this includes clearing out dead leaves, dying leaves and any debris.

Edited by suneday11

That^^

is what I'm talking about. I bought four packs of the 9Lb and grew them all at the same time. Every plant was a perfect example Indica dominant bliss. Each looked the same, grew the same, and finished at the same time. All the buds were uniform, as well as the smell, effects,  plant structure, water usage, height and yield.  

Nothing special to start with here. A dialed in room, plain ole pro mix, vegged in one gallon bag under t5 for 6 weeks, transplanted into a five gallon new pro mix, 4 cups of granulated organicare at flower onset, four more in 30 days, 1k lights, c02,  spring water fed, octopot style.  Only issue I have with this one is taming it. topping, trimming, breaking, bending, tying, less vegging, no matter, she's a beast. 

"three different phenos" is confusing to me. maybe mixed up seeds/labels somewhere or something....either way, that's what I'm talking about with results/advice being all over the map without verification of some parameters.

Note-if I plant a clone direct into plain pro mix, in a few weeks ever deficiency known will be witnessed. Some growers transplant into new soil this way also, and I makes sense for  the nitrogen ferts to be quickly diminished, leaving the "flowering ferts" to complete the process.//////and then, dying leaves in flower is a no brainer, assuming all other garden needs are met, including a balanced nutrient program. Back when deficiency charts were made I didn't have access to complete nute systems, and using pure basal salts was the program. Today off the shelf nutes are complete for the most part and require no other npk additives, at least in my rooms since 2009.

"Maybe the dead leaf is because of a c02 deficiency?  I use c02 and my 9lbs don't show dying leaves"-take that with a grain of salt, just like any other. 

I agree. I germinated 5 seed and all sprouted. I'm using smart pots #3 instead of the 7 gallon pots. Oh I'm sure I'm the cause of the deficiencies and then some. Popped the seeds, topped them when they had 5 nodes. Kept 2 nodes on each plant that where closest to each other. Double manifold if there is such a thing. Staked them down so they would grow out. so yes I have been abusing the plants. I did get one male out of the 5 seeds.

I agree. I germinated 5 seed and all sprouted. I'm using smart pots #3 instead of the 7 gallon pots. Oh I'm sure I'm the cause of the deficiencies and then some. Popped the seeds, topped them when they had 5 nodes. Kept 2 nodes on each plant that where closest to each other. Double manifold if there is such a thing. Staked them down so they would grow out. so yes I have been abusing the plants. I did get one male out of the 5 seeds.

The one with the praying leaves might very well be the best of the lot. It's asking for MG so it's looking forward to budding. 

Enjoy these wonders. If you're an indica lover these are king. the fuely naphthalene smell is tasty treat....mine make little finger size rosettes in packed large buds the plant can never support itself. another well planned marriage by the TGA crew. If you into the CBD's check with them, they added a new breeder and new lines of genetics, with special cbd/thc selections.  They have no complaints with double normal nutes here. they use copious amounts of water, have fun with these!