Question On Magnetic Ballast

I've been running two 1000 watt hoods for a little while now. A couple of weeks ago I noticed one of the lights seems a little more orange and dimmer than the other one. I thought it was the bulbs at first so I switched the bulbs around. Ended up doing the same thing.

So I got hold of an amp meter, and measured the amp draw. The good ballast started at about 6 amps and slowly climbs upwards and leveled off @ 9 amps when the light was fully warmed up. Which 9 amps is normal according to the specifications from the manufacturer.

When I tested the other ballast it starts at 4 amps and levels off at 6 amps! Definitely a problem there seeing as how this is the same identical ballast as the other one but 4-5 years older.

So I bought a new ballast and everything is back to normal.

Can this old ballast be repaired? I hear sometimes the capacitors go bad? If it were a bad capacitor wouldn't it fail to run at all? Or do they slowly fade in their power output like what I experienced before they finally go out? Any ideas on what it could be?

I would like to repair it if possible so I can have a backup on hand if needed.

the ballast will kill the light if its the transformer, inside thats all there is besides the capacitor. I use http://capacitorking.com/ or https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#tbs=vw:l,mr:1,cat:3220,seller:100860149&tbm=shop&q=capacitor+king, I reccomend them highly.

FYI, capacitor regulates the voltage, the transformer is either full bore or nothing, the reason for the cap is to regulate voltage so the light does't pulse bright /low bright low. if the transformer goes it burns up and stops all voltage. if you just have low light output and voltage as you seen, it has to be the cap cause thats all there is inside the ballast. quick test for transformer is there is still a hum, cause the light can also go out with a failed cap. but you can still hear the tranformer. so replace cap, no sound= no transformer. change them both.. LOL 

Edited by Willy