Southern Gop Lawmaker Defends Medical Pot: ‘We’Ve Never Had An Overdose On Marijuana’

Norby

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2016/01/19/3740629/david-clark-medical-marijuana/

As state lawmakers consider a medical marijuana bill in Georgia, the measure is getting support from an unexpected source: a conservative Republican state representative.

During a radio interview on the Bryan Crabtree Show late last week, State Rep. David Clark ® discussed HB 722, a proposal that would expand Georgia’s medical marijuana regime.

Clark, a self-described “Constitutional Conservative!!!!” gave a surprising and impassioned defense of medical marijuana.

“I do think it’s going to pass this session, and I think it should because pharmaceutical companies, those drugs and all that, have killed tens of thousands of people — overdoses and all that — every single year and we’ve never had an overdose on marijuana,” Clark said. “So I think it’s the right thing to do.”

The Georgia Republican went on that medical marijuana held real promise for his fellow veterans, arguing that he has seen no research showing it has similar side effects to pharmaceutical drugs. “I think we need to discuss it more and educate people,” Clark concluded.

Listen to it (relevant portion starts at 14:05):

http://www.rampgop.org/2015/08/ramp-political-director-elected-chairman-of-the-texas-young-republican-federation/

RAMP Political Director elected Chairman of the Texas Young Republican Federation
By Zoe Russell | Published on August 17, 2015

RAMP is extremely proud to announce two new positions held by our Political Director, John Baucum. First, John was appointed to the City of Houston Public Safety Advisory Committee by City Councilman Michael Kubosh, and approved by the full council and Mayor. The committee’s objective is “to provide a system of increased accountability and transparency and to facilitate resident input on matters that affect Public Safety.” In this role, John and the committee meet with Houston residents to hear concerns, and relay those concerns to the Houston Police and Fire Departments on a quarterly basis.

Over the weekend, John was elected by the Texas Young Republican Federation to lead the group as Chairman. He intends to grow the overall power of the young voice in the Texas GOP, and in doing so, help the GOP become the party of the future. He will recruit Young Republican precinct chairs, raise funds for clubs and events, and provide resources to young people looking to run for office or otherwise influence policy.

We are proud of the growing influence of RAMP members and supporters in the GOP.

http://www.rampgop.org/

Who We Are

We are Republicans Against Marijuana Prohibition (RAMP), a nonprofit organization and political caucus within the GOP that recognizes prohibition of marijuana to be a failed policy that undermines our liberties. We believe in the conservative principles of limited government, personal responsibility, economic opportunity, and fiscal responsibility.

Never know, the republicans may turn out to be the ones to get the job done.  I think I remember Ann Lee just reaming out the Texas legislature about legalizing medical MJ.  Maybe it was just someone who looked like her.

Never know, the republicans may turn out to be the ones to get the job done.  I think I remember Ann Lee just reaming out the Texas legislature about legalizing medical MJ.  Maybe it was just someone who looked like her.

Well that is about stupid Since the majority of democrats are already there. We just need enough republicans to override republican filibusters to get there. hahahaha.

That really was a stupid observation  beou..,.. er... norby.

What?  Most dems aren't already there for legalization?  Maybe med MJ but not legalization. And if they are they are regulation hounds.  Look how the Dems voted here for the transport bill for MED MJ.

What I'm referring to is the way that republican stood up to the legislature in teh video I saw.  She had obviously believed the BS and now that she knew the truth she would not shut up about it.  People who have been lied to and believed it and see the truth are teh best advocates because THEY are teh people who the antis trust since they WERE on their side. WE have been fighting for this forever(whether dems have been half assed on board or not).  Up till recently you could drive in Texas with an open beer.  There tehy are still fighting for freedom where just having an open beer doesn't mean you are drunk.  I'm telling you when they go for something they go for it gung ho.  Look how few republicans, what 23% to like 40% dems registered in the country?, have been able to be a pain in the donkey to some progress' in this country.  A few of them are worth more than dems in this case, especially this case considering the people have legalized mj and most med MJ thus far.  If that many dems are in favor and that many have had to be voted in by the people you have to admit there are different "levels of power" in getting mj legal.  If repubs are the only ones breaking the law to make a failed law work and the dems are making a failed law worse in NYS.  Is what it is and we need to take our allies where they are. 

Gallup polls have shown that 65 percent of Democrats support legalization, which stands in stark contrast to a mere 35 percent of Republicans. In correlation with these numbers, east- and west-coast states have a far higher support rate, as they tend to be Democratic-leaning, while the south and Midwest have far lower numbers, as they tend to be Republican-run states.

Texas specific polling:

Democrats were far more likely to support legalization than Republicans, with 54 percent in favor and 42 percent against. Republicans opposed reforming marijuana laws by 62 percent to 37 percent.

Maybe RAMP is comprised of NEW Republicans. How long will it take for the NEW Republicans to take the reins from the OLD Republicans? Hmmm... until all the OLD Republicans die?

Has anyone seen these? Oh my how the rabbit hole goes so much deeper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAHamlZXFZ4

I'm not confused. The difference is not democrat or republican, the difference is selfish pig or patriot. This video is worth the watch about a real criminal. More information (dirty laundry) has come out that has far more serious accusations against Clinton like SAP found on her e-mails, that is the highest classification government information that comes with the highest penalties for violation. The point is, all this known information is going on right now under a Democratic president. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzhfOsc9XxI

Will 2016 be the year that Republican Snyder and Democrat Clinton go to prison? There are more issues besides marijuana to be concerned with when it comes to our country and states. As far as I am concerned, the labels are meaningless, it is the person and their values that are important. Do they value themselves or the people? I would say the majority value themselves and power over the people.

What good is all this? If this is what democratic rule is, I will take republican. As far as I am concerned, weed was safer when it was illegal. I feel far more danger now than I ever did before. I don't look at what party I look at the individual and make my choice from there.

No offense to anyone, just my opinion. Just not happy with the function of our government for the last couple of decades.

I guarantee there is not one Republican politician, nationwide, that has a more favorable position on marijuana than their Democratic opposition in the race.

That's a pretty absolute statement and it's untrue.  Look at the article I posted about Cuomo.  The deal was set with the republican joint controlled senate and Cuomo, the dem governor, stepped in and made it more restrictive. While this isn't a head to head comparison, it shows a dem can be worse than the whole republican senate. I'm sure if I dug I could find other examples, esp with R's that are sponsoring things like the carers act and whoever is the opposite wasserman shultz.  Shoot there were less dispensary raids under Bush than Obama.  While not proof of anything it shows it's not as cut and dry as you want to paint it.

And Mal I don't know why you post up current info.   The republican party is in a position to have change sweep thru as they need to restructure.  Did you read the ramp guy got elected to the YOUNG republican position?  And 3 posts in a row on the republicans current stats when I made a future prediction shows you have a goat to get. :) Either that or you didn't understand what I was saying.  And if all these dems are for legalization why isn't it happening in cali of all places and all the other dems strongholds.  I mean Alaska would be considered red wouldn't it?  States rights and less regulations is a republican thing, isn't it?  Personal responsibility(growing your own meds) is what they preach.  If they just realized they aren't being true to themselves......

PLus the people are overwhelmingly for legalization then what's the reason for the holdup in the dems states?

Edited by Norby

I defy any of those that think "there's no difference between Democrats and Republicans" or that "some Republicans are better than Democrats on this issue" to find one Michigan race where the Republican holds a better position on our issue than the Democrat. You won't find it, ever.

Why are you limiting to just Mi.  That's not what we are talking about.  EVen the dems in Mi are against mj by way of the transport bill.  Look at the votes.  The R's could've passed it by themselves but for some reason 90% of the dems thought people should get a misdemeaner for transporting their mj in the front of the car. Antis are antis.  No one ever said that the dems were worse on MJ than the R's.  I don't know where you are getting that from.  I'm just pointing out that the dems aren't the saviors that they are held to on this board.  Are they better?  Barely but yes.  I mean barely as in I don't see any sticking up for people around here.  Sure Virgil will get up in front of the hash bash and lead a round of free the weed but what has he done since then?  Just exposing the BS that dems are somehow our nights in shining armor.  They may not obstruct AS MUCH, but they sure as hell aren't on our side.  And if R's start stepping up they deserve our support.  You can't expect everyone to be a one issue voter for the dems and not extend the same courtesy for the R's.  But for some reason you want to squash any evidence of any R's coming around.  Why I have no idea but it sure doesn't help anyone.  Seems like you WANT the divide and conquer to work?

Not all Republicans are like Rick Jones and not all Democrats are like Sander Levin.

As convenient as it is to demonize either party the lines between them are blurred and not absolute.

Who is the Republican running against 84-yr-old Sander Levin, anyway?

My take remains we have the Reublican and Democratic wings of a single big-government party.

So why are so many so convinced otherwise?

I guess it is like religion whose adherents unconsciously are hoping for some sort of monetary reward or reproductive advantage by believing in myths.

Edited by outsideinthecold