Ntsb Recommends Lowering Legal Blood Alcohol Limit

bobandtorey

ALISBURY, Md.- The National Transportation Safety Board has recommended that states decrease the legal blood alcohol limit on the roads from .08 to .05.

In its "2016 Most Wanted List" of transportation safety improvements, which came out on Wednesday, the NTSB said lowering the blood alcohol content to .05 would help decrease deaths and injuries on the road.

Currently, a male with an average weight of 180 pounds could have close to four drinks before reaching the legal limit, according to information provided by the Wicomico County Health Department.  

The information shows that a female of the same weight can consume approximately three drinks before reaching the current limit of .08. 

If the limit changed to .05, the Health Department said a male of the same weight could consume two to three drinks while a woman could have two.

Cynthia Shifler, the alcohol and OD prevention coordinator at the health department, said there is a piece of the conversation missing.

"I think more people are using other drugs with the alcohol, and that makes the problem even greater," she said. 

Shifler said it's also important to note that the situation is different for everyone.

"Everybody's different," she said. "That's the issue, as well. Maybe I can drink four drinks and get behind the wheel of a car--I know I can't--but some person may be able to do that because they've built up a tolerance."

Depending on the person, the numbers provided by the Health Department shows a consumption rate cut in half. Restaurants on Delmarva could stand to see a decrease in revenue. 

Most restaurant and bar owners WBOC spoke with said they do not support the federal recommendation, because they may stand to lose business as a result.  

Each state would need to change its own law to implement the NTSB's recommendation as legal limits vary from state to state.

http://www.wboc.com/story/31144437/ntsb-recommends-lowering-legal-blood-alcohol-limit

This is not designed for safer transportation, it's intention to create more revenue, by creating more criminals.

Under the ruse of "safety".

Their example is a 180lb man.  What of the 110 little lady.

I blew a 1.2 (eons ago) after drinking 8 beers in a 5 hour period.  I ate hardy and had no other 'drugs'.

I had no alcohol for over 1 hour b4 I drove.  I weighed in at that time about 160lb.

Each of our metabolism is different.

They are again casting a huge net in order to catch the many.

These lawmakers need to concentrate on some real criminals.

This is not designed for safer transportation, it's intention to create more revenue, by creating more criminals.

Under the ruse of "safety".

Their example is a 180lb man.  What of the 110 little lady.

I blew a 1.2 (eons ago) after drinking 8 beers in a 5 hour period.  I ate hardy and had no other 'drugs'.

I had no alcohol for over 1 hour b4 I drove.  I weighed in at that time about 160lb.

Each of our metabolism is different.

They are again casting a huge net in order to catch the many.

These lawmakers need to concentrate on some real criminals.

I couldnt have said it better!

I have been caught drunk driving, I have no problem with the law, but these numbers are being changed so they can get more revenue and catch more peeps with mm!  They need to realize there are more people drinking and taking pills than drinking and smoking weed, are they going to start writing more tickets for drunk and drugged charges?

I personaly find using mm while drinking a waiste of good mm, I dont normaly drink and use mm at the same time, I ocasionaly have a few glasses of wine and burn one, but only at home or some where I will be stayin for the nite!

I will never take a drink and drive as long as I live, I cant say the same about mm and driving!

Peace

Sort of makes me wonder how many of our elected "OFFICIALS" are invested in private prisons ? What better way to subsidize their stock portfolio and maintain those keep full requirements upon signing the contract , than with this type of legislation  ? ? ?  

All under the guise of "Public Safety" , of course . . . 

I was permanently disabled by a drunk driver who had just gotten his license back from his first DUI a week earlier.  It makes this topic difficult for me.  On one side I do not want to see the Police industrial complex given more excuses to fuk with people, yet I feel if any injury is caused from drunk driving that you should lose your license for your entire lifetime. 

It is hard to decide how to deal with drunk driving. Too many deaths and injuries. But what to do.

I was permanently disabled by a drunk driver who had just gotten his license back from his first DUI a week earlier.  It makes this topic difficult for me.  On one side I do not want to see the Police industrial complex given more excuses to fuk with people, yet I feel if any injury is caused from drunk driving that you should lose your license for your entire lifetime. 

It is hard to decide how to deal with drunk driving. Too many deaths and injuries. But what to do.

I agree.

My point is that lowering the limit will not deter people from drinking and driving.

I sure changed my attitude after losing near a dozen family members in alcohol related deaths, half from drunk drivers

who ran them over, the other half from consuming the fire to the point of family breakdown and ultimately liver failure.

I also know of people with multiple drunk driving incidents and lawyers/courts just keep taking their 10k and getting their license back for them to do it again. I'd like to see the judges and attorneys names published of those who got 3 or five drunk drivings and still drove legally, then killed someone while drunk. It happens maybe more often than we want to admit.

Malamute I am sorry for your losses.

If a murder rap, a totaled car, personal disfigurement, embarrassment, financial devastation, loss of driving privy, property damages, or a jail stay doesn't deter idiots from drinking and driving.....no new law or limit will.
In retrospect I cannot believe I drove when drunk, ever. I am so embarrassed. I was pulled over once when drunk and the officer insisted on following me home for safety, the remaining three blocks to my driveway.

I like restos idea to get rid of bars, but people still drink and drive, bar or no bar.

dont have good solution, except breathalyzer car ignition...

Get rid of them? Naw. Having places to drive to, drink at, and drive home from is pretty ridiculous IMO. It all started when we rode horses and it didn't matter so much.