Why Is Marijuana Banned?

How will having Democratic control of the government solve our fiscal dilemma?

Did Obamacare solve our public health issues?

The Republican interpretation of the MMMA is a travesty. The Christian Right element that wields so much power would steer us on a course straight to that bad place in a hand basket.

The Democratic unaffordable fiscal policies are no better.

Nineteen trillion in debt, a hundred trillion in unfunded liabilities, and yet ever more folks dependent on the government for assistance. These are not triumphs of governance, these are an onrushing slow-motion recipe for ever more people living ever poorer lives.

The 'Be like Restobud, vote Democratic manta' is a powerful endorsement for all of us here who know them. Or a darn good reason to reconsider.

Edited by outsideinthecold

You see here Norby, every time it becomes real clear how having a majority of (D)'s is what will help, you go off and start acting like you can see Alaska from your back window. We get a chance to see things the same and you revolt twice as hard with BS talking points.  

Whatever, I give solid instances coming from NY dems and you don't believe them.  Move to NYS and you'll see what I say is true.  Or you just don't care about the right of owning guns, you only see the right to owning A gun(preferably a bb gun).  The president knows nothing of why smart guns are illegal and most dems who own guns don't know anything about them.  Biden telling a WOMAN that a 12 gauge pump should scare tehm off from the sound.  My wifes father got her a 12 ga pump.  She's smaller than me and I have a semi auto 12 ga that takes out a lot of the recoil and it would be a bit much for me, let alone reloading for a woman who is in danger.  I can bring up MORE than enough instances where dems( in my state they wanted to make them illegal at 4 am and have cops walking up to doors taking away guns) will use whatever control they have to regulate and outright ban anything but long rifles and shotguns and leave pistols alone, which are responsible for 97+% of gun violence.  If all you have is calling me palinesque and saying I'm bsing with no proof otherwise, well, I don't know what to say except nya nya, you're wrong.  But if you want to talk facts get back to me.  In NYS they could ban assault rifles, make you have background checks to buy ammo all done at 4 am but their med mj program is the most restrictive cash grab in the country.  Made so by dems not r's.  So if they (d's)didn't have any control over the senate how'd they make the most restrictive gun law in the country? 

Look at my posts and look at yours.  Like I said if you have anything of substance, you know facts or anything OTHER than calling me names and just saying you think I'm wrong, let me know.  Better yet, I'll let you rent my place in NYS after the current couple and their kid moves out and look at the gun laws there and the law put in by dems for MMJ and let me know if you think the dems control is all sunshine and flowers.

I feel that when you have to produce ID and sit in line for a background check for a box of .22 ammo and then the computer breaks down when you get up to get your background check( and paying the cost per round because of the selling out of ammo) and teh driving 8 hours to get only oil for your condition and in your case they'd be out of hi THC and only have CBD meds left at the closest dispensary 8 hours away you'd change your mind.

Edited by Norby

And on the national front, Obama said the one thing he wished he would've done while in office was change the gun laws.  Obama, Hillary and Bernie ALL called for assault weapons bans and a long list of other changes to gun laws, I know I got them in my Inbox.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_control_after_the_Sandy_Hook_Elementary_School_shooting

And here are the laws passed by dems and signed by dem govs and according to the senate vote all but 15 dems voted for a national ban while all teh republicans voted against it.

Do you have anything that says that dems WON't work towards fed bans and state bans here if they get in?  I haven't seen anything on how Mi dems vote on guns.  If 2 of the 15 dems who voted against the ban were Mi reps maybe I'd think Mi was different and look into it but I can't find the final vote.

And on the national front, Obama said the one thing he wished he would've done while in office was change the gun laws.  Obama, Hillary and Bernie ALL called for assault weapons bans and a long list of other changes to gun laws, I know I got them in my Inbox.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_control_after_the_Sandy_Hook_Elementary_School_shooting

And here are the laws passed by dems and signed by dem govs and according to the senate vote all but 15 dems voted for a national ban while all teh republicans voted against it.

Do you have anything that says that dems WON't work towards fed bans and state bans here if they get in?  I haven't seen anything on how Mi dems vote on guns.  If 2 of the 15 dems who voted against the ban were Mi reps maybe I'd think Mi was different and look into it but I can't find the final vote.

Why would they? No one wants to take away your guns. Giving folks a little help with their guns would be a good thing. Like trigger locks and new smart technology for safety. Some mental health care for some with guns seems to be in order too. I think most people work backwards from the last time they saw a gun accident or gun violence and form their ideas from there. The half of us that are sane don't want to take away your guns. And the crazy floggers don't want to take away your guns. No one wants that. Every time you get these in your in box it makes a bunch of people buy more guns. Nice trick gun lobby. It's working on Norby and millions of others. 

They (emails)came from the candidates campaigns(I'm in their email lists and Bernie stopped getting contributions from me when I got his, Yes I WAS contributing to Bernie Sanders) and from the candidates mouths, I AM IN THEIr EMAIL LISTS.  Who do you think your fooling?  Did you even read the link?.  You know you can't just lie and say it's not happening when there is proof in front of you.  And as for smart gun technology it's being held hostage by a dem governors law in NJ.  We coulda had smart gun technology 20 years ago if it weren't for the Dems.  Look it up!

So anything other than nya nya your wrong?  I didn't think so.

3 states have already banned "assault rifles" by teh dems.  Where is your proof?

Edited by Norby

While we are talking guns, let's get down to brass tacks. The mantra, " guns don't kill people, people kill people, " is just stupid, as is the idea that if "guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns". Let's dispense with the catchy phrases, huh? The UK, Canada, and Japan all have very strict gun laws and all have gun deaths about an order of magnitude less than we have here in the U.S. This isn't the old west anymore. I'm all for a "well-regulated militia" as allowed under the second amendment. So let's have a militia and have it well-regulated. This doesn't mean that every Joe, Dick, and Harry can possess any firearm they want.....well-regulated means something, right?

Warning, guns, religion, abortion....these are just some of the issues folk like newbie use to devide us. Don't fall for it.

We went from why is cannabis banned to being distracted by guns.

The fknrepublicans are why cannabis is banned,

The fknrepublicans resist any sensible reforms on this national crisis

http://www.thetrace.org/2015/12/gun-violence-stats-2015/

Cannabis saves lives, reckless gun policy kills.

Edited by beourbud

Why is marijuana banned?

My theory:

The only large scale "study" of marijuana use that we have is the hippies of the 60s and 70s. At least I believe that prohibitionists/conservatives see it this way. What were the results of this "study" in the eyes of the prohibitionists/conservatives? Well... "sex, drugs, and rock and roll" became the rallying cry of youth. So, in the eyes of conservatives, marijuana destroys moral values and they don't want to legalize the destruction of moral values.

They (emails)came from the candidates campaigns(I'm in their email lists and Bernie stopped getting contributions from me when I got his, Yes I WAS contributing to Bernie Sanders) and from the candidates mouths, I AM IN THEIr EMAIL LISTS.  Who do you think your fooling?  Did you even read the link?.  You know you can't just lie and say it's not happening when there is proof in front of you.  And as for smart gun technology it's being held hostage by a dem governors law in NJ.  We coulda had smart gun technology 20 years ago if it weren't for the Dems.  Look it up!

So anything other than nya nya your wrong?  I didn't think so.

3 states have already banned "assault rifles" by teh dems.  Where is your proof?

What do you need an assault rifle for? Target practice? Hunting? Home protection? Keeping the peace?

This argument reminds me of Iran saying they wanted their nukes for peaceful purposes when everyone with a brain could see what they were doing wasn't meant for peace or making power. 

I don't think Republican's banned marijuana unless FDR was a Republucan.

In 2009 the Democrats controlled DC. The DEA was run by Leonhart. Her replacement was Rosenberg. Some choice given his statements on mmj.

Then there is the Levin vs. Brikho debate. Supporting Levin because he is a Democrat is pure hypocrisy.

Again, if someone here thinks the scintillating logic behind Restobud's fknrepublicans mantra is the rationale for voting for a Prohibitionist Democrat like Levin, that is their right.

Personally, Zap, Mal and many here have logic based opinions I can respectively disagree with and explain why my experiences have led me to a different opinion. While some insist everyone should be something, say a Muslim for instance, I am more inclined to encourage everyone to take a hard look at themselves and the world we are leaving for those who follow, if any.

We are blessed as Americans and simply for being the most sentient creatures Earth evolution has produced to this point. We can look up at the heavens and know the points of light are distant stars and galaxies. And we know our brief interval of awareness in the vast expanse of eternity is something fleeting and precious.

I say we are better than petty partisan politics. Or should be.

Edited by outsideinthecold

I don't think Republican's banned marijuana unless FDR was a Republucan.

In 2009 the Democrats controlled DC. The DEA was run by Leonhart. Her replacement was Rosenberg. Some choice given his statements on mmj.

Then there is the Levin vs. Brikho debate. Supporting Levin because he is a Democrat is pure hypocrisy.

Again, if someone here thinks the scintillating logic behind Restobud's fknrepublicans mantra is the rationale for voting for a Prohibitionist Democrat like Levin, that is their right.

Personally, Zap, Mal and many here have logic based opinions I can respectively disagree with and explain why my experiences have led me to a different opinion. While some insist everyone should be something, say a Muslim for instance, I am more inclined to encourage everyone to take a hard look at themselves and the world we are leaving for those who follow, if any.

We are blessed as Americans and simply for being the most sentient creatures Earth evolution has produced to this point. We can look up at the heavens and know the points of light are distant stars and galaxies. And we know our brief interval of awareness in the vast expanse of eternity is something fleeting and precious.

I say we are better than petty partisan politics. Or should be.

So what excuse do you have for your childish name calling? You expect anyone to take you serious when you act like a 10 year old? You fit well with Trump.

Edited by Restorium2

How come some people come here whining about how things are but have no solutions.

Worse yet, they work against those of us trying to progress change.

This is the hallmark of the establishment politics.

The fknrepublicans 54 attempts to repeal Obama Care, with No Viable Alternative.

Kinda like the freind who will sweet talk you to the summit only to push you off.

A note to the Establishment Politico, The Millenials are On Fire! They will decide the future. They want to save the planet, they want to live in peace and they Want To Free the Weed!

They know the piloshit that awaits them .....thank you GOP

They understand we went from the Greatest Generation to a Neediest and Greediest Generation . A generation of socio psychopath republicans.

VOTE. It's Not Too Late

Bernie Sanders / Abrogate. 2016

Edited by beourbud

While we are talking guns, let's get down to brass tacks. The mantra, " guns don't kill people, people kill people, " is just stupid, as is the idea that if "guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns". Let's dispense with the catchy phrases, huh? The UK, Canada, and Japan all have very strict gun laws and all have gun deaths about an order of magnitude less than we have here in the U.S. This isn't the old west anymore. I'm all for a "well-regulated militia" as allowed under the second amendment. So let's have a militia and have it well-regulated. This doesn't mean that every Joe, Dick, and Harry can possess any firearm they want.....well-regulated means something, right?

It's about personal protection from gov't and criminals.  Keep guns out of violent peoples hands but this is supposed to be a free country.  Banning or making people register guns or limiting the capacity of the clips does nothing but make felons out of people who have no violent tendencies.  Really weird that people who have been criminalized with no victim can't see how making criminals out of someone for OWNING a gun is pointless and falls right into the hands of the prison industrial complex.  30 years ago we went to school with a shotgun in the window.  What has changed in society?  Change it back or you're rights aren't rights, they're you can do it nows.  Again assault rifles are less than 2% of gun violence but everyone is ready to flush rights down the toilet when pistols account for 97.? % of ALL gun violence.  Cars kill more people than guns and diabetes kills more people than cars and guns combined.  Why not outlaw sugar?  Oh ya dems tried that in NYS by outlawing any sodas over 16ozs.  How about a gun isn't going to kill someone unless there is someone behind it that shouldn't be.  Why not go after the ones that shouldnt have them.  Well because that starts to get into right to privacy on your person.  So if you outlaw guns you'll then have to start searching everyone or it won't do any good, considering how many people carry pistols now with the #'s filed off.  You really think that banning anything is going to do any good?  Think it thru.  Envision how this is supposed to work when we already have so many drugs all over the us that are also illegal.  It didn't work with drugs and it won't work with guns.  And you should hope someone uses an assault rifle considering that they can conceal a pistol sooo much easier.  At least if they try an assault rifle there is a chance someone would see them.  Better then a backpack full of pipe bombs. Those you don't even have to be accurate with. 

Norby, who are you supporting for potus?

It's a simple question, I'm a simple guy, give me a simple answer.

Don't need the why, just the Who.

Probably green party or libertarian.  Are you going to vote for Milegalize if abrogate doesn't or does make it?  If you say no don't ever say a fuking thing about dividing us.  You are the savant when it comes to dividing.

What do you need an assault rifle for? Target practice? Hunting? Home protection? Keeping the peace?

This argument reminds me of Iran saying they wanted their nukes for peaceful purposes when everyone with a brain could see what they were doing wasn't meant for peace or making power. 

All of the above, teh reason I NEED it hasn't happened yet.  I have insurance on my house but I don't plan on it breaking either.  It's insurance.  Why do you think you need it taken away from me by our gov't  without compensation?  Maybe that's why people want your MJ taken away?  Cause you think you should decide what people can and can not have.

Really, really, is that what it reminds you of?  Well then you are a fuking douche.  Do you realize saying my wanting an assault rifle, who cares maybe I don't even want one maybe I just don't want my right to own one taken away just in case, reminds you of Iran is an insult to me?  You are trying to say that because I want to own an assault rifle that I must be wanting to use it for violence.  That's pretty sick, illogical and see thru, if I wasn't sure who it was I'd say thats republican logic.  This is what sets me off, maybe you don't think you're being a dick but you are.  So if you are going to whine about me calling you names maybe you should realize why I do it.  It's because of the Iran statement.  If you want I can start telling you when you are being a dick and give you a chance to apologize?  It's up to you I'm fine either way.

Edited by Norby

Norby,

Sorry if I'm being logical and need a practical use for your assault rifle before I decide it's useful. I know about rifles. I have had assault rifles and regular rifles. There's not too much difference. I can do everything I need to do with a regular rifle. To get all upset because you can't have an assault rifle is feigning outrage and having a name calling tantrum like a ten year old. I bet you don't even have an assault rifle and don't know the difference. You just want to turn it into an emotionally charged, all spittle and name calling, issue that should be stone cold logical like I treat it. Once it's just logical it's not an issue anymore. Just like the Iran nukes. 

At least the last assault rifle advocate we had this debate with was honest. He said that I would need the assault rifle when I get pinned down in a ditch and have to shoot my way out of it. I like honesty a lot. I respect honesty. Although I'm not going to get pinned down in a ditch and have to shoot my way out of it. I hope nobody has to do that anymore outside of a killing computer game. All those assault rifles waiting for folks to get pinned down in a ditch. Crazy ideas that used to just come from Hollywood. Now we have the gaming industry making scenarios that people transpose into real life. 

And for the folks that want to dream; I have this big arse crate of hand grenades that I can hold you off with from my position in the ditch. 

All of the above, teh reason I NEED it hasn't happened yet.  I have insurance on my house but I don't plan on it breaking either.  It's insurance.  Why do you think you need it taken away from me by our gov't  without compensation?  Maybe that's why people want your MJ taken away?  Cause you think you should decide what people can and can not have.

Really, really, is that what it reminds you of?  Well then you are a fuking douche.  Do you realize saying my wanting an assault rifle, who cares maybe I don't even want one maybe I just don't want my right to own one taken away just in case, reminds you of Iran is an insult to me?  You are trying to say that because I want to own an assault rifle that I must be wanting to use it for violence.  That's pretty sick, illogical and see thru, if I wasn't sure who it was I'd say thats republican logic.  This is what sets me off, maybe you don't think you're being a dick but you are.  So if you are going to whine about me calling you names maybe you should realize why I do it.  It's because of the Iran statement.  If you want I can start telling you when you are being a dick and give you a chance to apologize?  It's up to you I'm fine either way.

How do you ignore all your own insulting name calling and ask me to apologize? How can you be so blind to what is right and what is wrong? I've been seeing this a lot on here. People who call all kinds of nasty names want to point out someone being bad who has chosen their words in a way to avoid name calling and be civil. What is the deal with that?

I don't mean to be a you-know-what, but isn't the patriotistism angle for gun ownership a bit hollow if one isn't ready to do violence with their weapon?

I may be reading that into your statements here. You may never have come out with that angle directly.

Is it violence to defend oneself?  What Resto was talking about is being an aggressor(Iran).  There is a big difference between defending people and being an aggressor.  .

Is it violence to defend oneself?  What Resto was talking about is being an aggressor(Iran).  There is a big difference between defending people and being an aggressor.  .

Iran wasn't ever an aggressor with their nukes. They flaunted the subject of having a right to have nukes to get attention. They always said the nukes were for peaceful purposes just like your machine guns. The more we look into the similarities the more we see the analogy fits. 

Edited by Restorium2

Norby,

Sorry if I'm being logical and need a practical use for your assault rifle before I decide it's useful. I know about rifles. I have had assault rifles and regular rifles. There's not too much difference. I can do everything I need to do with a regular rifle. To get all upset because you can't have an assault rifle is feigning outrage and having a name calling tantrum like a ten year old. I bet you don't even have an assault rifle and don't know the difference. You just want to turn it into an emotionally charged, all spittle and name calling, issue that should be stone cold logical like I treat it. Once it's just logical it's not an issue anymore. Just like the Iran nukes. 

Wow, are you talking to me or yourself?  Defense, target practice and meditation.  You don't need to know anything if I'm not coming after you with a gun.  Why is it up to you to decide?  If that's the case I want your meds tested because I'm paying for your healthcare.

I'm upset that people who have had medicine(something you want, other meds can work for illness) taken away from them want to do the same thing to other people for no reason.  I can drive my car into a crowd of people but there is no ban on cars.  I can make pipe bombs but there are no bans on pipes.  Yet you think it's ok to take away peoples guns without compensation.  Bannin of a weapon that 100's of thousands of people own without incident is stupid, wasteful and tyrannical.