Strict Rules, High Prices Keep Medical Marijuana Out Of Reach For Local Family

Norby

http://www.lockportjournal.com/news/local_news/medical-marijuana-elusive-cure-for-a-local-family/article_2e7ff6b7-c5f4-50a6-a4b9-d6938ff7e89c.html

At the first sound of distress, Mark “Buc” Williams of Lockport can leap out of his chair like a lightning bolt when his son Tommy has a seizure.

There isn’t anything he and his wife Patrice wouldn’t do to help their son, so they spent several years lobbying for the New York Compassionate Care Act legalizing medical marijuana that could control Tommy’s life-threatening epilepsy. The act was passed in 2014, but implementation has been slow and the product remains cost prohibitive.

The leafy herb available from Some Guy around every corner for a small price is not for sale in state medical marijuana dispensaries. Instead, a 25 mL bottle of oral solution with 62.5 mg of the ingredient delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) costs $337. An ounce of medium grade pot sells for less than half that.

One thing hasn’t changed with pot: Only cash is accepted at New York’s state dispensaries. Medical marijuana is not covered by health insurance.

Parents like Sarah Newton of Lancaster say medical marijuana is essential because anti-seizure medications have “horrendous” side effects. Her daughter Olivia was on 28 prescription drugs for epilepsy. Newton said the drug Onfi made Olivia scream from ringing in her ears. Olivia died of a seizure at age 3, just days before medical marijuana legislation was signed.

“We are fighting for our child’s lives, and I don’t think people understand that,” Newton said.  

But the drug that she, the Williamses and other Western New York parents fought for remains unattainable due to a complex set of regulations that have created price, supply, distance and time barriers for patients and caregivers.

Since passing the Compassionate Care Act, the state took more than a year to open dispensaries and only five strains of marijuana will be available in liquid products.

With their certified caregiver and patient identification cards in hand, the Williamses contacted area dispensaries on Feb. 3 to locate the medical marijuana products prescribed for Tommy. They said the dispensaries in Williamsville and Amherst did not have the correct products and were waiting for the necessary plants to mature. They finally located the correct product at a dispensary outside Binghamton, and Patrice Williams drove four hours to make the purchase. 

After entering through multiple security doors, Patrice met with pharmacists and received Tommy’s starter prescription for $337. Staff informed her that when Tommy reached his proper dosage level, the drug would cost $2,000 a month.

“I don’t know any working family that has an extra $1,000 a month,” Buc Williams said. “It’s the only medicine I’ve ever heard of where the state sets the price. It’s not an open market where there’s competition.”

• • •

Access to medical marijuana in states where it is legal can be complicated by the drug remaining illegal at the federal level, according to Julie Netherland of the Drug Policy Alliance in New York City. President Obama’s administration has indicated it will not interfere with state efforts to make the drug available, she said, as long as it is well regulated.

Despite this, and the fact that it is prescribed by a practitioner as a treatment for disease, medical marijuana is not covered by health insurance programs in New York.

Newton finds this baffling after her daughter received the anti-seizure medication Sabril with the possible side effect of permanent vision loss. Health insurance covered it at a cost of $6,200 a month.

The lobbying group New York Physicians for Compassionate Care says on its website that “a growing body of scientific evidence, including gold-standard randomized, double-blinded, placebo-controlled trials, has made clear that medical marijuana is safe and effective in controlling chronic pain, alleviating nausea and vomiting associated with chemotherapy, treating wasting syndrome associated with HIV/AIDS, controlling muscle spasms due to multiple sclerosis, and managing epilepsy.”

Requests to the state Department of Health for an interview for this article, and a list of registered providers, were acknowledged but no response was provided.

The Office of National Drug Control Policy states that marijuana can affect heart and respiratory functions, and is linked to mental health problems and lower IQ — all debated by users and health professionals.

Nabiximols, a pharmaceutical drug with properties of marijuana, is used in other countries to treat cancer pain and muscle spasms, but is not approved in the U.S. The American Cancer Society says some research indicates cannabinoids, drugs processed from marijuana, may slow growth and reduce the spread of some types of cancer in animals.

The Epilepsy Association of Western New York is in support of expediting the availability of medical marijuana for the treatment of debilitating seizures in children.

Epileptic seizures are an overwhelming loss of breath and bodily control that terrify patients and caregivers alike.

Tommy Williams had his first seizures at 4 months old, when he developed an allergic reaction to a routine DTaP vaccination. He initially experienced 100 seizures a day and was diagnosed with Lennox-Gastaut Syndrome, a form of epilepsy that causes brain damage.

At 10 years old, Tommy cannot walk or talk and is fed through a gastrointestinal tube. Medications have reduced his daily seizures to about a dozen. An implant provides an electrical pulse in order to stabilize his brain’s electrical activity.

The Williamses learned marijuana could reduce the seizures even more. As New York debated legalization in 2014, Buc and Tommy saw prescribing physicians in Colorado, where the drug was already legal. They were advised that combining marijuana strains with high levels of cannabidiol (CBD) and delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) could stop the seizures.

The family explored the possibility of Buc and Tommy relocating to Colorado to receive the treatment, while Patrice would continue to work locally. Because Patrice’s health insurance wouldn’t cover out-of-state residents, relocation was scrapped. The family continued to lobby state legislators and petitioned for an emergency waiver that would allow early access to the drug due to Tommy’s terminal condition. Their requests were denied, and purchasing the drug out-of-state is illegal for New Yorkers.

• • •

All of the numbers reflecting the state’s medical marijuana program are lower than advocates hoped, except the cost. On the official launch date, Jan. 7, 2016, only eight of New York’s 20 planned dispensaries opened, Netherland said. The number is now 16. Some dispensaries open only one day a week. Only five strains of marijuana will be available in products. Only liquid products are available in New York.

“People thought it would be a smooth process,” said Cheryl Best, a clinical social worker at the Epilepsy Association of Western New York, who helps coordinate services for epilepsy patients. “People are having a hard time finding the doctors as well as the product.”

Training sessions to certify prescribing practitioners in New York began in mid-October 2015, according to Netherland, but identifying the practitioners has been difficult. Only physicians can access the list through a secure website maintained by the state Department of Health.

“This has created huge problems for patients who have no way of finding doctors who can help them,” Netherland said.

The Williamses are still waiting for Western New York’s two dispensaries to grow the marijuana they need. But time may be the resource families with seriously ill children have in shortest supply.

“It’s not much of a compassionate care act,” Buc Williams said. “We’re right back to where we started.”

I think that's a typo that 62.5 MG of THC costs 337$.  It's probably 625mg or basically one gram of oil because if not, that would be $1000 for the THC contained in one gram of MJ or about 200mg THC or 1/3rd of a gram of hash.  So, the way the dems want it Oil will cost about $350/gram.  If it's not a typo $3500/gram and they want it all to go to specific people who paid them off.

Edited by Norby

Free the weed?

heh - yeah.  Free the weed and then weed becomes free.

I know that there are many growers out there trying to make a buck or two.  I can't blame them.  They have honed their craft and want something back to compensate for the many hours of growing, finding/paying for medical strains, paying the electrical bills, and just wanting something for the risk they take, etc. 

But I've also met many growers since 2009, many of whom were growers for recreational customers over the years.  Many of these guys have and still do simply give meds away for free.  Not the "if you sign me up as your CG, I'll give you 1 oz. per month for free" growers, but just old school guys who don't have dollar signs in their eyes and are willing to help out another person.

There is a real dichotomy in the realm of MMJ - some people thinking this is their ticket to riches, and others who are just happy to see someone get relief.

Cannabis  has proven to be the source of some people's riches in the recreational scene for decades stacked, nothing new there. Medical marijuana provided  a level of safety when dealing to the recreational scene and an opportunity to hide behind the medical one for those wishing to do so. The line between medical and recreational use has been blurred. 

I have my Michigan Medical Free Marijuana Card but never did see free marijuana, the stuff is expensive to grow properly and I don't blame anyone for collecting money  for grade A buds.  Typical MI outdoor, 5$/gram mixnmatch doesn't cut it for the medical patients I register, they expect to pay for my consistent  grade a buds and happy to do so. I generally match their purchase with gifts for a "half off" experience when I have exceptional harvests.    Growing less plants would cost me less money, and I'd be happy to do so when the Free Marijuana Program kicks off. I have a couple old patients I'd gladly gift any overages to, still. 

would be nice though, to have free cannabis, free cancer drugs, free education, wait...I sound like a candidate.

Cannabis has proven to be the source of some people's riches in the recreational scene for decades stacked, nothing new there. Medical marijuana provided a level of safety when dealing to the recreational scene and an opportunity to hide behind the medical one for those wishing to do so. The line between medical and recreational use has been blurred.

I have my Michigan Medical Free Marijuana Card but never did see free marijuana, the stuff is expensive to grow properly and I don't blame anyone for collecting money for grade A buds. Typical MI outdoor, 5$/gram mixnmatch doesn't cut it for the medical patients I register, they expect to pay for my consistent grade a buds and happy to do so. I generally match their purchase with gifts for a "half off" experience when I have exceptional harvests. Growing less plants would cost me less money, and I'd be happy to do so when the Free Marijuana Program kicks off. I have a couple old patients I'd gladly gift any overages to, still.

would be nice though, to have free cannabis, free cancer drugs, free education, wait...I sound like a candidate.

Oh please, Cut the crap. Silly.

Maybe this will help. Read it and repeat as necessary. This is how you come across to us mortals with you vacillating opinions.

Narcissistic Personality Disorder involves arrogant behavior, a lack of empathy for other people, and a need for admiration-all of which must be consistently evident at work and in relationships. People who are narcissistic are frequently described as cocky, self-centered, manipulative, and demanding.

Fortunately there are more of us helping out of compassion than you guys focusing on compensation.

You might want to stick with cut and paste, when you ad lib it is very telling.

Free the Weed

Edited by beourbud

Cannabis  has proven to be the source of some people's riches in the recreational scene for decades stacked, nothing new there. Medical marijuana provided  a level of safety when dealing to the recreational scene and an opportunity to hide behind the medical one for those wishing to do so. The line between medical and recreational use has been blurred. 

I have my Michigan Medical Free Marijuana Card but never did see free marijuana, the stuff is expensive to grow properly and I don't blame anyone for collecting money  for grade A buds.  Typical MI outdoor, 5$/gram mixnmatch doesn't cut it for the medical patients I register, they expect to pay for my consistent  grade a buds and happy to do so. I generally match their purchase with gifts for a "half off" experience when I have exceptional harvests.    Growing less plants would cost me less money, and I'd be happy to do so when the Free Marijuana Program kicks off. I have a couple old patients I'd gladly gift any overages to, still. 

Riches? You make it sound like they turned into Donald Trump. Have not seen that in my area or the surrounding counties. I think they would have had to have stolen the cannabis to get rich off of it. Maybe the Mexicans that take the money they get from sales and go back to a third world country to spend it. I hear they live like kings for a while. Then they come back here and sleep on the floor in a trailer again. Back in the late 70's I always thought selling pot would either make you rich or get you busted. One or the other. For many it turned out to be neither. I know most of the folks that have sold around me over the years and none of them are rich. 

Either steal it or have the dems set the price.  What other state sets the price for a product?  I now see how the pharma industry gets $1200 for 2 migraine pills.  Just pay off the gov't and have insurance(everyone) pay for it.  Which is why I don't think Obamacare fixed anything(certainly not with NYS MMJ).  Shkrelli should prove that.

Edited by Norby

Either steal it or have the dems set the price.  What other state sets the price for a product?  I now see how the pharma industry gets $1200 for 2 migraine pills.  Just pay off the gov't and have insurance(everyone) pay for it.  Which is why I don't think Obamacare fixed anything(certainly not with NYS MMJ).  Shkrelli should prove that.

I suppose you think shkrelli is a dem. lol. Nope just another republican narcissist.

Shkrelli is the face of the Republican Party and profits from GW Bushes no bid policy for pharma.

New York called , it's been much better since you left.

One thing ObamaCare did fix was the pre existing conditions being not covered by insurance. I know that first hand. Probably better to speak from first hand experience on ObamaCare because there is so much bad info out there getting passed off as fact. 

Maybe this will help. Read it and repeat as necessary. This is how you come across to us mortals with you vacillating opinions.

Narcissistic Personality Disorder involves arrogant behavior, a lack of empathy for other people, and a need for admiration-all of which must be consistently evident at work and in relationships. People who are narcissistic are frequently described as cocky, self-centered, manipulative, and demanding. (YOU)

Fortunately there are more of us helping out of compassion than you guys focusing on compensation.

Free the Weed

You sound like your giving your self advise!  There you go lumping us all with you (mortal)and telling us what to think about another member!

I have been liking what you say lately but then you slip back and get on that high horse of yours and downing people you dont know!

It is quite obvious that you mostly post what you want people to beleive, gm post things he knows about, he gives people the choice to be mere mortals or just idiots getting pullled over the other things that lead to mj busts!

There are not to many people who have been involved in court cases who didnt do some thing else to bring leo their way!  If you think other wise, start going to court cases every day, Im not saying all people in court deserve to be there, but 90% of them brought leo to them not the mm they grow or use or transport!

Peace

Edited by phaquetoo

You sound like your giving your self advise!  There you go lumping us all with you (mortal)and telling us what to think about another member!

I have been liking what you say lately but then you slip back and get on that high horse of yours and downing people you dont know!

It is quite obvious that you mostly post what you want people to beleive, gm post things he knows about, he gives people the choice to be mere mortals or just idiots getting pullled over the other things that lead to mj busts!

There are not to many people who have been involved in court cases who didnt do some thing else to bring leo their way!  If you think other wise, start going to court cases every day, Im not saying all people in court deserve to be there, but 90% of them brought leo to them not the mm they grow or use or transport!

Peace

Yes. But who do you know that got rich off of selling marijuana? When I read something that I feel is false it makes me wonder if I'm living under a rock or is the guy who posted something that seems so un real to me. I honestly don't see anyone getting rich at all. And have not ever after all these years of living it. The last time I heard someone say that we were getting rich was a state cop. I expected that from him because he's is so hateful he is ignorant. Who is getting rich Phaque? Enlighten me please.

I suppose you think shkrelli is a dem. lol. Nope just another republican narcissist.

Shkrelli is the face of the Republican Party and profits from GW Bushes no bid policy for pharma.

New York called , it's been much better since you left.

Try and understand what I write.  Never said Shkreli was a dem. Just pointed out what he(and others everyday) was able to do under a dem healthcare law.  It fits right in line with the dems MMJ law. 

So extorting people who need MJ for health is better?  You have a very skewed view there BB.  They've even outlawed dancing in the city without a permit(something out of dirty dancing?) and won't give a music permit for the 420 festival because MJ is illegal.  Ya, much better, maybe for you?  Do you not like dancing and music?  Poor BB.

Try and understand what I write.  Never said Shkreli was a dem. Just pointed out what he(and others everyday) was able to do under a dem healthcare law.  It fits right in line with the dems MMJ law. 

So extorting people who need MJ for health is better?  You have a very skewed view there BB.  They've even outlawed dancing in the city without a permit(something out of dirty dancing?) and won't give a music permit for the 420 festival because MJ is illegal.  Ya, much better, maybe for you?  Do you not like dancing and music?  Poor BB.

ObamaCare has nothing in common with Shkreli. There is no common denominator between the two. 

One thing ObamaCare did fix was the pre existing conditions being not covered by insurance. I know that first hand. Probably better to speak from first hand experience on ObamaCare because there is so much bad info out there getting passed off as fact. 

So you are saying the Shkreli thing never happened?  Where is my bad info.  If there is no bad info you are just trying to make people believe what you want by throwing in a negative comment.  So all that wording just to fix pre existing conditions?

See you know it first hand because you are sticking up for the whole act because it did something for YOU.  You casually deny anything bad about healthcare because of one thing it did for you.

So you are saying the Shkreli thing never happened?  Where is my bad info.  If there is no bad info you are just trying to make people believe what you want by throwing in a negative comment.  So all that wording just to fix pre existing conditions?

See you know it first hand because you are sticking up for the whole act because it did something for YOU.  You casually deny anything bad about healthcare because of one thing it did for you.

I watch the news every day. I know about Shkreli. What I said was ObamaCare had nothing to do with what Shkreli did. He could have done the same thing if ObamaCare never existed. They have nothing in common. They should not be in the same subject. 

I didn't deny anything but your bad info that somehow Shkreli was enabled by ObamaCare.

Fixed for you

POLITICIANS= a lack of empathy for other people, and a need for admiration-all of which must be consistently evident at work and in relationships. People who are narcissistic are frequently described as cocky, self-centered, manipulative, and demanding.

Free the Weed

"you guys focusing on compensation"? you mean like dispensaries and farmers markets? I never shilled a picnic table seller, never sold to a dispensary, never sold at a farmers market, never sold outside of my registry, and I often match my deliveries free of charge. not sure whom you speak of, of perhaps yourself as phaq says? Can you say the same?

On another note, for a politician you reading comprehension and demeanor leave all wanting. you cannot win with that type of spew.

take a nap, smoke some old crusty outdoor buds from last year, and come back with some new thoughts maybe that will help you.

Yes. But who do you know that got rich off of selling marijuana? When I read something that I feel is false it makes me wonder if I'm living under a rock or is the guy who posted something that seems so un real to me. I honestly don't see anyone getting rich at all. And have not ever after all these years of living it. The last time I heard someone say that we were getting rich was a state cop. I expected that from him because he's is so hateful he is ignorant. Who is getting rich Phaque? Enlighten me please.

When I was 18 a friend of mine took me with him to buy a van, a full size no frills van, totaly empty no power doors, etc!

It cost him 8k, when the sales man asked him how he wanted to pay for it he whipped out 8k in cash, 10k you have to claim!

He was one yr out of high school and was making cash hand over foot for cheap mex crap!  That was long ago, since than I did biz with a guy who owned body shops in MI and NV and AR, every now and than he had me run one to nv or ar and come back with a dif one, I never  asked any questions, just got my cash for exchanging vehicles, and I had the same product to sell for months or untill he had me or another friend exchange a car again,

Now all of that was before it was legal any where, today I dont know any one getting rich from it, they are trying to, but it isnt working out to good, I just had some one ask me if I could get rid of 6 lb's,,,I kinda giggled and gave her directions to a farm market that happens every weekend, she asked me If I would take it and do it,,,,,,,I told her the truth, I dont have a c.g card, plus I wouldnt do it for some one else,,,,,if I was desperate to feed my family and pay bills maybe I would do my own but no one elses... My c.g wants me to go with him, I told him if some thing happens I dont want to get popped for you dumping your so called overages,

I am totaly in this for saving money and helping those who are in need of help!

Peace

When I was 18 a friend of mine took me with him to buy a van, a full size no frills van, totaly empty no power doors, etc!

It cost him 8k, when the sales man asked him how he wanted to pay for it he whipped out 8k in cash, 10k you have to claim!

He was one yr out of high school and was making cash hand over foot for cheap mex crap!  That was long ago, since than I did biz with a guy who owned body shops in MI and NV and AR, every now and than he had me run one to nv or ar and come back with a dif one, I never  asked any questions, just got my cash for exchanging vehicles, and I had the same product to sell for months or untill he had me or another friend exchange a car again,

Now all of that was before it was legal any where, today I dont know any one getting rich from it, they are trying to, but it isnt working out to good, I just had some one ask me if I could get rid of 6 lb's,,,I kinda giggled and gave her directions to a farm market that happens every weekend, she asked me If I would take it and do it,,,,,,,I told her the truth, I dont have a c.g card, plus I wouldnt do it for some one else,,,,,if I was desperate to feed my family and pay bills maybe I would do my own but no one elses... My c.g wants me to go with him, I told him if some thing happens I dont want to get popped for you dumping your so called overages,

Peace

During this same time period everyone I knew was marking up Mexican brick at about 20% profit. $20 on a $100. If one guy went too high the people just went somewhere else. There always has been a free market unless you were someone who got cut off for being a total arse somehow. 

Your van dude must have been buying very large and flipping large. Not the usual thing going on.  Or he was dealing coke too. Lots of cut. 

Edited by Restorium2

Riches? You make it sound like they turned into Donald Trump. Have not seen that in my area or the surrounding counties. I think they would have had to have stolen the cannabis to get rich off of it. Maybe the Mexicans that take the money they get from sales and go back to a third world country to spend it. I hear they live like kings for a while. Then they come back here and sleep on the floor in a trailer again. Back in the late 70's I always thought selling pot would either make you rich or get you busted. One or the other. For many it turned out to be neither. I know most of the folks that have sold around me over the years and none of them are rich.

when demographics and subjective terms are examined more sense is made. "Riches" to one may not be riches to another for consideration. You don't know anyone who's made big riches brokering cannabis? I do. they're dead now, some in prison. When someone can hop in a Cessna twice a day and land themselves a quick easy sack of cash, for years straight as some have. I call them moneys riches myself. I don't one bit idolize these players. I saw them first hand, and the dangers, harm and embarrassing lifestyles led by hem too. but they made riches. I googled and found many to become rich selling cannabis, some caught, some not, some dead now.The news archives are full of successfully rich cannabis dealers, maybe caught after they were rich, but they were rich first right, some things to consider. what is rich.

Selling drugs has always been a lucrative and dangerous business, depending upon how much you need to earn right...ask any commercial grower of cannabis today.

I also know gas station owners who made riches at a few pennies per gallon profit. Failures are reported more often than successes I think.

peace out

when demographics and subjective terms are examined more sense is made. "Riches" to one may not be riches to another for consideration. You don't know anyone who's made big riches brokering cannabis? I do. they're dead now, some in prison. When someone can hop in a Cessna twice a day and land themselves a quick easy sack of cash, for years straight as some have. I call them moneys riches myself. I don't one bit idolize these players. I saw them first hand, and the dangers, harm and embarrassing lifestyles led by hem too. but they made riches. I googled and found many to become rich selling cannabis, some caught, some not, some dead now.The news archives are full of successfully rich cannabis dealers, maybe caught after they were rich, but they were rich first right, some things to consider. what is rich.

Selling drugs has always been a lucrative and dangerous business, depending upon how much you need to earn right...ask any commercial grower of cannabis today.

I also know gas station owners who made riches at a few pennies per gallon profit. Failures are reported more often than successes I think.

peace out

You googled? Explains it all. You have no personal experience and just googled it. The things you speak about are very, very rare indeed. The stuff of legend really. Miami Vice. Most of the smuggling around here was small loads hidden in auto parts. This aint Miami. 

Peace

ahh, farmers market pimping ! a fine example and you did the safe thing phaq. those are maybe the growers focusing on the money I say, those slinging illegally across a table every week? but you know what ,, I could care less how much money they make, or how much they sell their product for, or how much they sell daily. who gives a chit, except maybe those focusing on the money focusing so often. If a cg makes 5k a month legally, what do I care if I only make enough to pay my bills, work light, enjoy life in comparison. growing indoors is tough work to be consistent and successful. can be alot work, anyone who thinks it is not simply hasn't tried it yet. cannabis has a value. electricity is not free. fertilizers cost cash. some people cannot build a grow area and pay for someone who can, who cares if they do that? Some of them are capitalists, while others socialists, who cares really till one buts into the other attempting to ???