Warren Seeks Oversight Of Pot Growing Operations, Users

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/macomb-county/2016/03/23/warren-oversight-marijuana-operations/82188592/

Warren — Residents who grow medical marijuana in their homes may soon have to follow stricter regulations under a law proposed by Mayor Jim Fouts.

The City Council on Tuesday approved the first reading of an ordinance that would require residents to register with the town’s building department if they are growing and selling medical marijuana, provide the names of their patients and be subjected to inspections by the city. The council vote was 6-1.

The law also calls for installing filters in homes to prevent the smell of the drug from polluting the neighborhood, Fouts said.

The mayor said in the past year marijuana growth operations in Warren homes have led to fires, at least one explosion and brought increased traffic to some neighborhoods from patients or buyers.

Fouts said officials need to monitor these operations to make sure the equipment is safe and that marijuana is being sold for medical purposes and not recreational use.

“People shouldn’t be allowed to do this without some control,” Fouts told The Detroit News. “We are not going to check on people’s houses but when we have a complaint, we will go there and if they aren’t registered they will face the penalty.”

Violating the ordinance is punishable by up to a $500 fine or up to 90 days in jail.

Not everyone is sold on the proposed law.

Matthew Abel, executive director of the Michigan chapter of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws, said he believes requiring patients or caregivers with state registration cards to also register with the city violates the Michigan Medical Marijuana Act.

He said Warren’s tactics are “heavy-handed” and that growing medical marijuana at home should not be a hazard when done properly.

“The city of Warren may be able to regulate some types of activity,” Abel said. “But I think they are going to lose in court if they are going to require a patient or caregiver to register with the city.”

Michigan legalized the use of medical marijuana in 2008, allowing patients registered with the state to grow up to 12 marijuana plants in a secure location, including their home. Registered caregivers are allowed to grow 12 plants each for up to five patients.

Fouts said several residents have complained to him about a “skunk” smell coming from the houses where medical marijuana is grown.

He said he is also concerned that without oversight, the homes with marijuana grow operations could attract burglars since it is a cash business.

The second reading and adoption of the ordinance will be considered at the next council meeting April 12.

Attorney David Rudoi is asking for any cases of harassment from the city of warren.  

"So I just found this news story I'm in when I warned the city counsel of Warren that if they pass an ordinance which restricts patients and caregivers right to grow medical marijuana in there own homes they would be sued.

Well, yesterday they snuck through a vote on a similar ordinance. It appears they want all caregiver to register with the city which I believe is in conflict with the medical marijuana act. So, if anyone is hassled by the City of Warren for legally growing medical marijuana in your home please call me immediately!!!!!

Call anytime (248) 935-9074!"

Here is the article from November 2015 with link to video:

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/medical-marijuana-debate-heats-up-in-warren

The mayor said in the past year marijuana growth operations in Warren homes have led to fires, at least one explosion...

He can't be talking about someone making BHO since that has nothing to do with growing and it wouldn't be honest to mention it in this context.

So he must be talking about that new strain of exploding cannabis that was recently developed from Pineapple Explosion.

I've been warning people about taking proper precautions when growing this but some folks just don't listen.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/macomb/2016/03/02/warren-mayor-fouts-term-limits/81209700/

Fouts is a dck that hates marijuana and fireworks.He thinks Warren is his kingdom and what he says is law regardless of what the voters think.

More city's around the State  our using a foot note in TerBeek V City Of Wyoming  somethings like the City of Detroit   Cannabis Hater  will Hate 

He can't be talking about someone making BHO since that has nothing to do with growing and it wouldn't be honest to mention it in this context.

So he must be talking about that new strain of exploding cannabis that was recently developed from Pineapple Explosion.

I've been warning people about taking proper precautions when growing this but some folks just don't listen.

That is hilarious!

yea the garage explosion was some dumbo's that didnt know what they were doing!  kids were home, dog's were running for their lives,,,,,,if you dont know how to make bho the safest proper way ,,,,,,,,,,Dont Do it, go practice in a feild in the woods lol!

I personaly wouldnt register with warren, I would deal with the consequence's if I had to, it sounds like they want to give you a misd, not a fellony if you are not in their lil book of c.g's and  pt grower's,,,,,,,I would just have to take my chances!

Peace