Legalize It All & Nixon's War On Drugs

Article in Harper's arguing that to win the war on drugs we should legalize all drugs. Check out this quote from John Ehrlichman, Nixon's domestic policy adviser and one of the main Watergate criminals:

“You want to know what this was really all about?” he asked with the bluntness of a man who, after public disgrace and a stretch in federal prison, had little left to protect. “The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I’m saying? We knew we couldn’t make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders, raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did.”

Here's the article. 

I remember that, my generation lived it. Its cool you should bring it back up. Learn from the past or repeat it. I dont know how many are aware of that information, but for the younger gen taking over for my age group. Its great to see the facts from the past being thrown out there again.... :)

What was, and has been ever since then, so scary,  is the testicle shrinking fear that the government induced in every pot user who even dared to question the validity of a ban on pot.

There is no question that the government won the war on pot smokers. They have instilled such fear into the hearts of citizens that the great majority of people will not, even if they would really like to, partake in the enjoyment of marijuana. There is just too much to lose. And the Republicans berate Obama for talking to a head of state who puts people in prison for political reasons? Ha! Me thinks that they may want to clean up their own back yard before criticizing Castro. We have the highest per capita incarceration rate IN THE WORLD!