Students Slow Michigan Highway Traffic To Protest Emergency Manager Law

Wild Bill

Students slow Michigan highway traffic to protest emergency manager law

GRAND RAPIDS, MICH. - A so-called "statewide slowdown" took place on Monday across Michigan, with people purposefully reducing traffic speeds in protest to the state's emergency manager law.

WZZM has received several calls Tuesday, March 29, in regards to clogged highways and slower than normal traffic. Michigan State Police say they heard of at least one incident on I-96 and I-196 in the Grand Rapids metro area.

"There's been a couple vehicles, driving 55-miles-per hour, blocking two lanes," said MSP Sgt. Jeff Varga. Police are not stepping up extra patrols in response, he added.

Members of the Michigan Student Power Network, with the support of the Detroiters Resisting Emergency Management group, engaged in the slowdown Tuesday morning, said Julia Cuneo, a recent University of Michigan at Dearborn graduate and Detroit resident.

"We've asked politely for years for services not to be cut, schools not to be defunded, water not to be poisoned and they haven't listened to asking nicely because they don't care, they stopped caring about us, so we stopped caring about their profit," says Lindsey Disler one of the protestors. 

A state task force last week slammed the law, charging it contributed to Flint's lead contaminated crisis by removing governmental checks and balances. Gov. Rick Snyder admitted his state-appointed managers failed to protect the city.

"We now know (since the Flint water crisis and Detroit school failures) that the emergency manager law doesn't work," Cuneo said. "Folks in Lansing just want to do business as usual, and we want them to know this is not acceptable.

"We really need Gov. Rick Snyder to hear this message."

In addition to protests in Grand Rapids, others occurred in the Ann Arbor and Detroit metro areas.

Police will be on the lookout for this type of activity, but it likely hasn't proved much of an issue for most motorists, Varga said.

(© 2016 WZZM)

So the college students answer to a government decision, is to take it out on the people who need to get places? Seems awfully mature. How is pissing off people on the highway going to help their cause again instead of giving them a positive upvote and reinforcement?

There are two sides to that story!  I guess I was just invisioning trucks not getting to their delivery's on time, yada yada, its been along time since I have had to drive in rush hr traffic, I see your point also!

They did make it so no one could get a speeding ticket to help feed the militarized po po money machine!

Peace

Made the news anyway. Snyder has been hiding out. Needs to be flushed out of his hideout. His emergency manager power grab needs to stay in the news until everyone knows it's the wrong thing to do. We have a situation in Flint to show how bad an idea that was. The light needs to stay on it. 

The people that voted in Snyder might be in that traffic. They need to understand about why there is a slowdown and they are not isolated from paying for their bad voting. 

Well, I 100% agree on the EM law. But, if some twits were doing 20 on the highway, I would immediately support wtvr they were protesting against.  There are good protests and dumb protests. This is in the dumb category. Hearts and minds, not road rage and hate.

Ohh, and this has been done before,... in Michigan even. The students didn't come up with the tactic.  They just copied an ineffective one.

sadly everyone around the traffic jam will toss negatives at the participants and the cause likely.

"yeah, fuk the EM, but did you see those azzholes on the freeway slowing down emergency vehicles or doctor appointments, or worse?" I'm afraid this type of protest is not peaceful and serves poorly. but yeah, fuk the EM law

So the college students answer to a government decision, is to take it out on the people who need to get places? Seems awfully mature. How is pissing off people on the highway going to help their cause again instead of giving them a positive upvote and reinforcement?

Sounds exactly what Snyder, Shuette and the rest of the Rs have been doing to the citizens of our State. Checked your car insurance rates lately? Flint water crisis, Detroit schools, Snyder's legal fees for the Flint debacle, etc., etc.

Remember they said no new taxes, vehicle registration fees went up, fuel taxes are up, and it seems everything else too. We farm and have a state inspected food processing facility, our state fees went up this year from $70.00 to $105.00, a 50% increase  and no new services. What a crock of.............!! The gap between the rich and poor continues to grow at an even faster pace!!

Farmer Brown

Well, I 100% agree on the EM law. But, if some twits were doing 20 on the highway, I would immediately support wtvr they were protesting against.  There are good protests and dumb protests. This is in the dumb category. Hearts and minds, not road rage and hate.

Ohh, and this has been done before,... in Michigan even. The students didn't come up with the tactic.  They just copied an ineffective one.

"There's been a couple vehicles, driving 55-miles-per hour, blocking two lanes," said MSP Sgt. Jeff Varga. Police are not stepping up extra patrols in response, he added.

Not 20 miles per hour, 55 mph. There are two different Michigans, one where the rich have things the way they want it and vote for Snyder and the other thugs, and then there are places like the inner cities where folks get left behind, schools are falling down and children are poisoned. People need to understand they can't hide from the unfairness and double standards. They need to address it. They need to quit voting in thugs that make their lives nice and cushy and flog the rest of us. Since this is in the news it worked. More pressure on Snyder if nothing else.

"We've asked politely for years for services not to be cut, schools not to be defunded, water not to be poisoned and they haven't listened to asking nicely because they don't care, they stopped caring about us, so we stopped caring about their profit," says Lindsey Disler one of the protestors.