Storing Cannabis

Assuming it isnt too wet, indefinitely. I had mj that was stored in a bag, in a box, in a garage, in the desert, for 1.5yrs... It was actually super stoney. The color may go a bit more golden vs green, but it wont degrade very much at all. The whole oxygen and heat concerns may be technically true, but it isnt as measurable as folk lore entails.

i vacuum pack in mason jars,,,it works great. it looks and works as well as it did a year after i packed it...it is bye far the best method i've found for long time storage..bp

How does that work? I can a lot of fruits and veggies and also have a vacuum sealer for plastic bags. It has a hose attachment too. Are there mason jar lid inserts with some sort of port to hook the vacuum extractor to?

Thanks in advance.

How does that work? I can a lot of fruits and veggies and also have a vacuum sealer for plastic bags. It has a hose attachment too. Are there mason jar lid inserts with some sort of port to hook the vacuum extractor to?

Thanks in advance.

yes, and brand name containers too with the thing on top, check the aisle that sells the machines. I like mine a lot.

port's called a Doohickey case you didn't know :P

I've never seen such doo-hickeys. It might be because I'm an old school food preservationist. Just five or so years ago you could go to Meijer and see about three feet of shelf space devoted to canning. Suddenly, in the past 3-4 years you see huge aisles and end caps devoted to everything canning.

For years, I learned canning from Mother Earth News. We canners were out of the mainstream. For years, I could go to garage sales and buy canning jars and lids for about 10 cents per jar. When I gave-away jars of canned zucchini, winter squash, pears, apples etc I would only ask to get the jars back.

Now I see canning jars for sale at Goodwill and Salvation Army for about $1 each. I can buy them new for less that that.

Thanks in advance.

1) Get mason jars

2) This Foodsaver jar sealer fits over the lid if you use standard size jars and is $10: http://www.ebay.com/itm/351635342565or http://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-T03-0006-02P-Regular-Mouth-Jar-Sealer/dp/B000UQ428A

There is also a wide-mouth version.

3) The battery powered Packmate sealer works well. Here is the cheapest place to get it for only $15: http://www.ebay.com/itm/272038025939

Alternatives to #3 are brake bleeder (manual pump, Harbor Freight has one for about $25 I think) or those countertop vacuum sealer contraptions often available for little money at a Salvation Army.

(edit: I see you have #3, but will leave this info in anyway).

Edited by zachw

1) Get mason jars

2) This Foodsaver jar sealer fits over the lid if you use standard size jars and is $10: http://www.ebay.com/itm/351635342565or http://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-T03-0006-02P-Regular-Mouth-Jar-Sealer/dp/B000UQ428A

There is also a wide-mouth version.

3) The battery powered Packmate sealer works well. Here is the cheapest place to get it for only $15: http://www.ebay.com/itm/272038025939

Alternatives to #3 are brake bleeder (manual pump, Harbor Freight has one for about $25 I think) or those countertop vacuum sealer contraptions often available for little money at a Salvation Army.

(edit: I see you have #3, but will leave this info in anyway).

Thank you. This is great info..

Nice, thanks!

They do sell for a premium due to a spot welded tray to hold the humidity packs on the lid. 420 tax.

Save a lot going for the original intention, by buying the same exact airtight stainless steel dry food storage container at a home/kitchen site online(wont have the spot welded tray on the inside of the lid.

Don't have to worry about light degradatating the THC, dropped jars.

Plus they now make a mini travel size(unlockable) to ones that will hold well over a MI pound.

How does this compare to HydroMate?

https://www.google.com/search?q=HydroMate+vs+cvault

Checked out their site. They seem like expensive glass jars. Like a Cvault version of a glass jar which is cool. But at 20 bucks a jar, that is an Extreme 420 tax when you could use a mason jar for a couple of dollars. The biggest one holds 14g. Might be a nice desktop personal stash jar.

Checked out their site. They seem like expensive glass jars. Like a Cvault version of a glass jar which is cool. But at 20 bucks a jar, that is an Extreme 420 tax when you could use a mason jar for a couple of dollars. The biggest one holds 14g. Might be a nice desktop personal stash jar.

I'll take the mason jars, mine h old 2 oz or 56 grams in a big one. and 28g in a smaller one, with a vacuum sealed lid last as long as anything else,  and alot cheaper... they are cool but  don't need to pay cool tax.. LOL

I'll take the mason jars, mine h old 2 oz or 56 grams in a big one. and 28g in a smaller one, with a vacuum sealed lid last as long as anything else,  and alot cheaper... they are cool but  don't need to pay cool tax.. LOL

Have you seen the 1/2gal jars?  Close to a qp in those, more if it's dense.

Thanks in advance.

the one i use has a cup that fits over a regular mason jar top and lid...a small hose runs from the sealer to the jar cup...no special lids or anything....because mold won't grow in a vacuum your meds can remain a little damp and it doesn't crush the buds...put the jars in a cool dark place and they (to me) seem just as good as the day i put them up...and that's been 8-9 months later..bp

There is an exact percentage of moisture dictated for safe sealed storage. any higher and the environment will support mold and bacteria growth in a kitchen "vacuum sealed" container. Maybe it has to be decarboxylized to stop releasing carbon dioxide/lose vacuum, not sure. refrigeration after vac storage could slow or stop this degradation and will keep product longer/safer. I've been lucky and unlucky in the past  storing vac sealed product.

Edited by grassmatch