Trailer Hitches On Cars, Blocks License Plate, Police Can Pull You Over.

t-pain

look at how fast the MSP released this legal update:

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/msp/MSP+Legal+Update+No+121_519614_7.pdf

this means anyone hauling a bike rack, trailer ball, anything in the way of the plate means you can get pulled over.

anyone remember what case had the plate holder "obscuring" the plate? is that still in play too?

http://publicdocs.courts.mi.gov:81/OPINIONS/FINAL/SCT/20160329_S150371_71_01_Dunbar-OP.pdf

As this case demonstrates, a towing ball, when attached to a vehicle in a way that

obstructs a view of the vehicle’s registration plate, may subject a driver to a police stop,

including the possibility of a citation and, if circumstances warrant, a search, seizure, or

both. We are cognizant that Michiganders’ vehicles commonly have items such as trailer

hitches and bicycle racks attached to them, and accordingly recognize that under

MCL 257.225(2) common conduct may lead to what some might consider harsh

consequences.

wonder how low the police car was that "couldnt read" the plate.

Stephen J. Markman

Robert P. Young, Jr.

Brian K. Zahra

Bridget M. McCormack

David F. Viviano

Richard H. Bernstein

Joan L. Larsen

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2015/09/30/snyder-appoints-joan-larsen-supreme-court/73079114/

Paul Egan, Detroit Free Press

4:32 p.m. EDT September 30, 2015

(Photo: Dave Wasinger/Lansing State Journal)

LANSING — Gov. Rick Snyder on Wednesday named to the Michigan Supreme Court University of Michigan attorney and law professor Joan Larsen, a former legal adviser to the administration of President George W. Bush and a former clerk to U.S. Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia.

hoo boy, another piece of bunny muffin torturer

https://www.aclu.org/sites/default/files/pdfs/safefree/olcmemos_2009_0305.pdf

Index of Bush-Era OLC Memoranda Relating to Interrogation, Detention, Rendition and/or Surveillance

Joan L. Larsen

Deputy Assistant

Attorney General,

and Gregory F.

Jacob, Attorney

Advisor, OLC

Availability of habeas

corpus relief to detainees

Still secret. Subject of litigation in

ACLU v. DOD, 04-cv-4151

(S.D.N.Y.) and existence disclosed in

a 06/07/07 declaration filed by

Steven Bradbury in that case.

http://www.mlive.com/lansing-news/index.ssf/2015/10/newest_michigan_supreme_court.html

LANSING, MI — New Michigan Supreme Court Justice Joan Larsen, appointed Wednesday by Gov. Rick Snyder, is facing questions over legal advice she may have provided regarding the detention and treatment of terrorism suspects under former President George W. Bush.

Larsen was working as a deputy assistant U.S. attorney general in the Office of Legal Counsel in March of 2002 when she co-authored a memo on detainees' ability to challenge their detention in a court of law, according to the ACLU, which learned of the document through ongoing litigation but has not seen its contents.

"We strongly urge Professor Larsen to ask the DOJ to disclose the contents of the memo she penned regarding unlawful and indefinite detention," said Kary Moss, executive director of the ACLU of Michigan.

Larsen worked for the OLC between January 2002 and May 2003, around the same time that a colleague authored the so-called "torture memos," which provided legal advice and justification for waterboarding, sleep deprivation and other "enhanced" interrogation techniques.

Asked about the interrogation memos — which came to light following the Abu Ghraib prisoner abuse scandal in 2004 — Larsen told reporters that she played no role.

"I was in the Office of Legal Counsel at the time, but those national security measures in the Justice Department were classified and a close hold," Larsen said Wednesday during her introductory press conference.

"As you may have heard in various accounts of how that process was run, there were only certain people who were read in on those things, and I wasn't one of them. I read about the controversial memos when I got back to — I was here in Michigan. I read about them in the newspapers just like I assume you did."

But the 2002 memo that Larsen co-authored raised red flags for the ACLU of Michigan, which does not oppose or endorse political appointees but issued a strongly worded statement after Snyder announced that the University of Michigan law professor would fill a vacancy on the state's highest court.

"Given Professor Larsen's tenure in the OLC, which authorized torture, warrantless wiretapping, indefinite detention and other abuses, this appointment should be accompanied by full disclosure about the role Larsen played in the development of those policies," said Moss.

Progress Michigan, a liberal advocacy group, questioned whether the Snyder administration had adequately vetted Larsen over her role in the Bush administration "during one of the darkest chapters of American history."

"Michiganders deserve to know whether their new Justice believes that torture is legal, that the 4th Amendment doesn't protect Americans from extensive secret government surveillance and that they can be imprisoned without trial, among many other questions," said executive director Lonnie Scott.

A Michigan Supreme Court spokesman, asked if Larsen was available to elaborate on the habeas corpus detention memo or any other legal advice that she may have given the Bush administration, did not immediately respond on Wednesday.

But Snyder spokeswoman Sara Wurfel said Larsen was fully vetted by the administration, which has confidence in her "talents, expertise and abilities."

She pointed to Larsen's earlier comments indicating that she played no role in memos related to torture or enhanced interrogation methods.

Any memos Larsen did help write "remain privileged unless or until the client waives that privilege," Wurfel said. "Just like all lawyers, she is bound to confidentiality and it would be an ethical violation for her to comment further without client authorization."

Wurfel added that "it's unfortunate that some are trying to wage a baseless, political attack that has nothing to do with her qualifications or merits."

Larsen's appointment was otherwise celebrated by onlookers. Attorney General Bill Schuette said he was "delighted" with the pick and state GOP chair Ronna Romney McDaniel called her "an excellent addition that will serve our highest court well."

Larsen, who clerked under under U.S. Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia and Judge David B. Sentelle of the U.S. Court of Appeals, positioned herself a rule-of-law judge.

"I don't think that judges are a policy making branch of government, and our role is to serve the people by enforcing laws the way that they were written by the Legislature," she said.

Jonathan Oosting is a Capitol reporter for MLive Media Group. Email him, find him on Facebook or follow him on Twitter.

http://publicdocs.courts.mi.gov:81/OPINIONS/FINAL/SCT/20160329_S150371_71_01_Dunbar-OP.pdf

As this case demonstrates, a towing ball, when attached to a vehicle in a way that

obstructs a view of the vehicle’s registration plate, may subject a driver to a police stop,

including the possibility of a citation and, if circumstances warrant, a search, seizure, or

both. We are cognizant that Michiganders’ vehicles commonly have items such as trailer

hitches and bicycle racks attached to them, and accordingly recognize that under

MCL 257.225(2) common conduct may lead to what some might consider harsh

consequences.

wonder how low the police car was that "couldnt read" the plate.

I can put down the tailgate on my truck and you can't see the plate. 

part of a comment on the mlive article

At the same time, the court wholly makes worthless two entire sections of the law that do deal with obstructed view (dirt on plate, dealer frames or insignia frames). Why have those if you already have a general provision that requires a clearly visible plate??? You don't. That's known as rendering statutory language into redundant surplusage and is considered to be bad interpretation. How can they claim they are showing judicial restraint???? Give me a break.

this is nothing new to me,about 4 or 5 years ago,i was pulled over by a MSP for a obstructed plate with a hitch ball on my 85 chevy truck...the bumper was designed to hold a ball...i contested the ticket and when the cop failed to show up it was thrown out...but it taught me a lesson in restraint as i told the pig, sorry, the officer that i thought he was being a real fuc#ing jerk....bp    

The state legislature is so bored ,that they have to come with some kind of new laws, Hell they just recently made oral and anal sex illegal too. These types of laws are the exact reason we only need a part time state legislature( like some other states do, not a bunch of nimwacks making $175,000/yr.,mileage,good insurance and god only knows how many other perks. let them meet once a month, pay them a per diem, no perks whatsoever, live like the rest of us!!! These laws are just flippin ridiculous. Also Snyder needs to resign and take all his appointees with him!!

Farmer Brown

The legislature is pandering to the folks that think the world is going to hell in a handbasket and the heathens need to be saved by laws. 

When they understand that they are pandering to the wrong folks, the minority, then they will quit. You teach them about bad pandering at the polls. We, the voters, can either teach them they are wrong or right. 

Those folks that think the world is going to hell are very scared so they vote. That's all our legislature has now, bat schit crazy folks that are scared to death of change and the future. They believe they can add laws to Make Michigan Great Again.  

The state legislature is so bored ,that they have to come with some kind of new laws, Hell they just recently made oral and anal sex illegal too. These types of laws are the exact reason we only need a part time state legislature( like some other states do, not a bunch of nimwacks making $175,000/yr.,mileage,good insurance and god only knows how many other perks. let them meet once a month, pay them a per diem, no perks whatsoever, live like the rest of us!!! These laws are just flippin ridiculous. Also Snyder needs to resign and take all his appointees with him!!

Farmer Brown

What the f*uck are you talking about?

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2016/02/no_michigan_sodomy_ban_bill.html

Farmer Brown

How can same sex marriages work with anal and oral being ilegal,,yea yea their are other ways than corn holing and blow jobs and cunninglingus (spelling).  I can do that I just cant spell it bawahahahahaha!

so homo men can only do hand jobs to their other half, lesbians can only use fingers and they cant make an oops!  I guess they can  use toys but,,,,,,,it dont make sense!

How can they make same sex marriage and have a law against anal, oral?

Maybe im missing something here!

Peace

edit= sorry zachw I think we were posting at the same time lol,  Thanks for the link,  not that it matters lol, but I do consider myself to be a male lesbian! :yahoo-wave:

Edited by phaquetoo

How can same sex marriages work with anal and oral being ilegal,,yea yea their are other ways than corn holing and blow jobs and cunninglingus (spelling).  I can do that I just cant spell it bawahahahahaha!

so homo men can only do hand jobs to their other half, lesbians can only use fingers and they cant make an oops!  I guess they can  use toys but,,,,,,,it dont make sense!

How can they make same sex marriage and have a law against anal, oral?

Maybe im missing something here!

Peace

edit= sorry zachw I think we were posting at the same time lol,  Thanks for the link,  not that it matters lol, but I do consider myself to be a male lesbian! :yahoo-wave:

don't sweat the little stuff bro :P

It is illegal to have an obsured plate in michigan

If your driving down a snowy road and your plate becomes covered with snow as a result of normal operation then your ok, however if you leave for work in the morning and clear your window but fail to clear your plate from the previous nights snowfall your in violation. Same holds true for mud, dirt, leaves, anything that may block your plate from view.

• 1 month later...

cops were lying through their teeth, everyone knows it --

called a "pretext stop" where they use some nonsense excuse...

.it is hard to prepare ahead of time for avoiding such things but any trailer hitch that is anyway in the line of sight of your plates should come off IF they impair anyone from seeing the entire plate from a vehicle behind ya...

even from left or right angles....

personally, use a "drop hitch" (one that immediately bends down towards the road, and is not in the line of the plate, inches below it, BUT again, this was a "PRETEXT stop" as they probably

knew He was carrying something and just had to justify the stop weeks if not months later when challenged -- make sure your vehicles are perfect, the best is a completely stock late model, with

absolutely no add ons....check those lights and equipment before you even drive away -- walk around your vehicle, check the brake lights (brick on the peddle) and turn signals every time to 

minimize the chances of a blown bulb (that can happen at any time) .

if your ever carrying a legal amount, MAKE SURE it is in a seprate container (pelican cases from Walmart work and are cheap) in the Trunk, or Bed of a truck, or the back of a minivan or the like without

a trunk...a truck with a hard fiberglass cover that locks is best...with a case in there...does not have to be locked just  a case......(idea is, I guess, that driver cannot access it from the vehicle)

and finally, never smell like MJ, it sticks to clothes and hair, shower and change if you burnt.....big hassles but its necessary until we get it fixed or legal outright....