Why Are We Such Slow Adopters?

pic book

where is the NASA link?

all i find is this:

The concept of a 3 parts nutrient, and Flora-series, were created for General Hydroponics by Dr. Cal Herrmann, formerly senior chemist at NASA

which just means "any 3 part nutrient hydroponic solution" not GH. although of course the guy who worked at nasa worked at GH. that doesnt mean nasa uses GH.

does NASA use it because its govt mandated lowest bidder? yuck...

only 2 results for "general hydroponics" site:nasa.gov in the google.

where is the NASA link?

all i find is this:

The concept of a 3 parts nutrient, and Flora-series, were created for General Hydroponics by Dr. Cal Herrmann, formerly senior chemist at NASA

which just means "any 3 part nutrient hydroponic solution" not GH. although of course the guy who worked at nasa worked at GH. that doesnt mean nasa uses GH.

does NASA use it because its govt mandated lowest bidder? yuck...

only 2 results for "general hydroponics" site:nasa.gov in the google.

Good find. Keep looking. It's all good. Find anything bad yet?

Here's some more related info; http://patchtek.com/inventors.html

Edited by Restorium2

yeah it looks like hype to me. stop spreading wrong info unless you got some link that nasa uses it :P

Who else grows in space?

For more than 30 years, General Hydroponics has developed high quality innovative products that enable the growing of plants in challenging places like space, the Artic, deserts and hyper-dense urban environments.

Not your average bathtub nute maker;

Dr. Cal C. Hermann -

Since 1989 Dr Herrmann has been working as Chief Scientist for General Hydroponics Inc. Previously Dr Herrmann was at the NASA - Ames Research Center, to develop water purification systems for Earth to Mars Spaceflight.

From 1977 Dr Herrmann worked at the University of California - Berkeley in the Seawater Conversion Laboratory, later transferring to the Forest Products Laboratory to work on cellulose to ethanol conversion. Dr Herrmann has also worked for West-Ward Inc., a manufacturer of generic pharmaceutical drugs as a quality control chemist, for the American Medical Association Drug Standards Laboratory and for the University of Chicago Medical Dermatology Division.

Dr Herrmann graduated from the University of Chicago with a Masters Degree in Organic Chemistry and went on to receive a Doctorate with a specialization in Electrochemistry from the University of Pierre and Marie Curie of the University of Paris. 

Who else grows in space?

For more than 30 years, General Hydroponics has developed high quality innovative products that enable the growing of plants in challenging places like space, the Artic, deserts and hyper-dense urban environments.

Maybe if I were growing in any of those places I'd be worried enough about space constraints and water supply but since I'm not I'll go for the way that's produced the most cup winners and what everyone has told me produces the best pot they've ever had in their life.

And they didn't spell Arctic correct.  Either that or there is a new extreme climate place called the Artic.

Just because a person has credentials doesn't mean they aren't a businessman pitching a business.  If there were some peer reviewed papers from non biased sources, that would go farther with credibility.  Credentials from a corporate site are sales pitches to compete in the marketplace.  Peer reviewed papers show research that shows the differences in their product against others and the results while growing the target plant.  Vegetables deliver different things than medicinal plants.  Vitamins and minerals are just that.  Polyphenols, antioxidents and other medicinal compounds can be enhanced to show full potential better from growing, even in soil with synthetic nutes, just because the precursors are found in the environment that the plant can use. Hydro generally doesn't provide that but soil and moreso organics provides more of the things not found in fertilizers which enhance expression in the plant.

We should trust NASA... our gov't ?

They may be worse/ same as Monsanto?

Just cuz they use it to feed people doesn't

necessarily deem it 'safe'.

Just sayin'

If peeps are worried then use all organic plant

based fertilizers from LOCAL sources to have

less chance of using 'bad' nutes.

jm02

Just to throw a couple of more thoughts on this...

Iv pretty much believed that the only difference between nute lines, from a health perspective, is the pgr's and heavy metals. The pgr's arent ever listed on any bottle, and not all of them use them, but it is an additive that is never listed or discussed. Is it bad? I dont know. And the heavy metals... Its known that mj uptakes and stores these very well, hence the use of hemp plants to suck up contaminents such as the experiment they did near chernobyl. And practically every nute line has heavy metal contaminents, esp when looking at organics, esp considering those contaminents are taken up in the natural food chain and often polluted there by human commercial enterprise. GH flora has them too, but every organic guano or fish source has them in abundance. We have polluted organic sources heavily, w heavy metals.

Btw, im pretty sure gh sold out to scotts fertilizers like a year or two ago, apparently gh kept its manufacturing lines but they r now owned by a major polluter of the world. Just a thought re them. Plus there were cleaner nute lines that pre-existed this buy out anyway.

question for everyone: have you had pot that crackled because of poor flushing?

just curious, i've never had it happen. but i've heard about it.

it can happen in soil , soiless, hydro , anything with synthetics.

Iv experienced it before, which is another example of why i never really smoke anything other than what i grow , and a very select few others that i know well. You just dont know what ever went into or onto the plants by most people. But i always thought the crackling had to do w sprays vs water fed nutes...?

question for everyone: have you had pot that crackled because of poor flushing?

just curious, i've never had it happen. but i've heard about it.

it can happen in soil , soiless, hydro , anything with synthetics.

lots of things can make a joint crackle.

I don't like over fed plants, or ones that are not metabolizing properly. I've never seen a commercial hydronutrient system that didn't instruct a systematic ppm lowering towards the end of flower. They all end up with lower nuts than my spring water reads from the well. Seems those are flushed when directions are followed. Flushing was first heard of for croppers, just like drying your fresh bud for immediate use. They grabbed ideals form the tobacco industry, like feeding to the day of harvest, curing, which allows these excess to break down over time, degrade into something else, to provide a smoother experience.

nature flushes by reducing bird poop, insect frass, available light and most other resources, forcing he plant to eat up. This is clearly indicated with the results of a refractometer reading throughout the grow

Iv experienced it before, which is another example of why i never really smoke anything other than what i grow , and a very select few others that i know well. You just dont know what ever went into or onto the plants by most people. But i always thought the crackling had to do w sprays vs water fed nutes...?

sure ,neem and other sprays can jack a result. but excess npk at harvest is a junk plant imo. its not about the black ash, or the popping, or the sore throat, or the ill effects...its just junk.

Maybe if I were growing in any of those places I'd be worried enough about space constraints and water supply but since I'm not I'll go for the way that's produced the most cup winners and what everyone has told me produces the best pot they've ever had in their life.

And they didn't spell Arctic correct.  Either that or there is a new extreme climate place called the Artic.

Just because a person has credentials doesn't mean they aren't a businessman pitching a business.  If there were some peer reviewed papers from non biased sources, that would go farther with credibility.  Credentials from a corporate site are sales pitches to compete in the marketplace.  Peer reviewed papers show research that shows the differences in their product against others and the results while growing the target plant.  Vegetables deliver different things than medicinal plants.  Vitamins and minerals are just that.  Polyphenols, antioxidents and other medicinal compounds can be enhanced to show full potential better from growing, even in soil with synthetic nutes, just because the precursors are found in the environment that the plant can use. Hydro generally doesn't provide that but soil and moreso organics provides more of the things not found in fertilizers which enhance expression in the plant.

Pretty darn great credentials though. Can't get much better than that. He's like a rocket scientist in the botanical sense. I think it's a confidence builder. Especially after someone mentioned that people are making this stuff up in their bathtubs and selling it. At least you know with GH that a botanical organic rocket scientist is at the helm and their bottles have tamper proof seals. Everything in context. Does the guy who mixed up your nutes have credentials like that? Or did he sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night and thinks he knows everything?

And I thought they meant attic, not arctic ...... LOL Attics are pretty extreme. 

Not your average bathtub nute maker;

Dr. Cal C. Hermann -

Since 1989 Dr Herrmann has been working as Chief Scientist for General Hydroponics Inc. Previously Dr Herrmann was at the NASA - Ames Research Center, to develop water purification systems for Earth to Mars Spaceflight.

From 1977 Dr Herrmann worked at the University of California - Berkeley in the Seawater Conversion Laboratory, later transferring to the Forest Products Laboratory to work on cellulose to ethanol conversion. Dr Herrmann has also worked for West-Ward Inc., a manufacturer of generic pharmaceutical drugs as a quality control chemist, for the American Medical Association Drug Standards Laboratory and for the University of Chicago Medical Dermatology Division.

Dr Herrmann graduated from the University of Chicago with a Masters Degree in Organic Chemistry and went on to receive a Doctorate with a specialization in Electrochemistry from the University of Pierre and Marie Curie of the University of Paris. 

If anyone has someone with more credentials than this mixing up their nutes let me know.

Why Are We Such Slow Adopters?

Looks like people might be cheap. Others want to tell people what they want to hear. People running around bad mouthing everything but extreme organic will get people telling them they have extreme organic grown marijuana, no hydro. Heck no, I don't grow that filthy hydro, it has really heavy stuff in it. Like metals. It's not real. 

We all suffer from over hype on the subject. It's one of those 'I'm mo better' chest beating opportunities that competitive people want to take advantage of, sometimes in very ignorant ways. 

You can be scared of everything or use your time to educate yourself on what your risks are, empower yourself. The key is to minimize your risks the best you can with the knowledge you can get from all of your sources. 

Anything you buy, local or otherwise, has a risk of not being what is advertised. If you can find a reference to a certain food grade item that is being used by a very rich company who spares no expense on what it uses, NASA, and just buys the best for the quality of the end product they are using, then you have a better reference than something that has none and you are trusting some smiling saleman's word.

I'll take the NASA reference over that of the common jerk down at the elevator. He could have personally crapped in your nutes and you would have no idea. 

The best advice is to buy your nutes from a source that you trust not to adulterate it and also look at the factory seal on the bottle. That's the safest you are going to get. 

I think this is more of a 'blanket' statement for all but since you quoted me, I'll reply :)

My comment was for those who might be 'scared' and was my idea about 1 way to possibly assuage that fear.

As far as being 'empowered'... I am more so now than I was ever was prior to learning to grow cannabis.

I grew up with gardening.  My mom collected all the puppy poo mixed some water in the bucket and put it on her ornamental.

I was told 'but never on the food' garden.  Garden waste, kitchen scraps (never bones, dairy, fats etc...), coffee grounds and the Maple

leaves that fell each fall went on the food garden.  I knew nothing about soil health, microbial herd etc.. et al yet my mothers words

remain all these years later.  She grew a bad azz garden every year and had lovely flowers and shrubs too.

If someone is 'scared' or worried about what they are feeding their plants my suggestion was only to offer up an idea.

Make your own compost if you can.

Locally source your amendments if you can.

Like Indigro states below... we have polluted this Earth and imo there is no way no matter what to completely rid our

gardens of this heavy metal pollution.

Make choices based on your own life style, what you are most comfortable with.

This year I will be getting a 30# bag of chicken poo from the same guy I buy my chicken from.

If I will eat his birds, I feel safe enough to use the poo on my compost.

Just to throw a couple of more thoughts on this...

Iv pretty much believed that the only difference between nute lines, from a health perspective, is the pgr's and heavy metals. The pgr's arent ever listed on any bottle, and not all of them use them, but it is an additive that is never listed or discussed. Is it bad? I dont know. And the heavy metals... Its known that mj uptakes and stores these very well, hence the use of hemp plants to suck up contaminents such as the experiment they did near chernobyl. And practically every nute line has heavy metal contaminents, esp when looking at organics, esp considering those contaminents are taken up in the natural food chain and often polluted there by human commercial enterprise. GH flora has them too, but every organic guano or fish source has them in abundance. We have polluted organic sources heavily, w heavy metals.

Btw, im pretty sure gh sold out to scotts fertilizers like a year or two ago, apparently gh kept its manufacturing lines but they r now owned by a major polluter of the world. Just a thought re them. Plus there were cleaner nute lines that pre-existed this buy out anyway.

Yep.

Like Indigro states below... we have polluted this Earth and imo there is no way no matter what to completely rid our

gardens of this heavy metal pollution.

But that has nothing to do with the better nutrient solutions at all. False info. False fears. Ignorant, out of context, posting. It's part of the problem, not part of the solution.

whatever resto... I'm not here to argue w/ you.

This thread has been all over the place.

If you don't like what I post... move on.

I will move on and probably come back as usual.

I grow a lot of ways with a lot of different nutes.

The GH works good in my aero sprayers so I point out that it is a safe solution to use.

You can argue against that all day long but you have nothing of real substance to cut them down with.

I know that because I was really careful to research it before I ever used it. 

Just passing along good info that helps caregivers grow for their patients. And also helps patients grow for themselves.

Limiting choices because of posts containing false fears will not go un replied to. I hope anyway. It's not a very good thing for anyone here.

Commercial Field farm dilute nutrients, with growth regulators/chelators or not, for hydro successes, vs composted organic feed is a personal choice. Like led lights or hid lights. We all have our preferences for each, maybe for each application.

I drink organic milk when I want milk, I eat beef and vegetables from an organic farm, I raise chicken, fish, ducks, dogs, cannabis, vegetables, rabbits, all fed organically, on my organic oasis. Its not really certified organic, but I go to great lengths to feel good about my home made foods and medicines, and organic/natural feels right to me. Organic grass fed beef tastes different than gmo corn soy fed. Organic sol grown cannabis does too. Free range chicken eggs taste better than commercial feed supplied. My compost fed tomatoes are light years ahead of the best hydro grown. With all that evidence, my own evidence, shared by millions of other consumers, I am compelled to continue my quest for a naturally fed existence. I applaud anyone mastering feeding indoors with commercial fertilizers, its fun and exciting with great results for some, including me. It wasn't just the chems it was the whole experience for me, call me a hippie. I'd rather grow in a greenhouse anyday over growing in a laboratory is all, another personal preference.

I'm bias too, because I get all the lab experience I need in my culturing habits. Its nice to get back to the dirt

different tokes for different folks.

Just learn to live with other folks choices without acting like they are poisoning people. They are not necessarily hurting anyone running a hydro or aero grow with bottled nutes. There are good choices for nutes for those types of grows. 

It choices, not, 'my way or the highway because your way poisons people'.

yeah , well, dont drink the nutes, as they are poisonous.

THINK OF THE CHILDREN! (edit for resto)

you can take your chances drinking from bottles, i'll take my chances eating dirt.