State Regulators Weigh In On Pesticides Like Never Before

Norby

http://ireadculture.com/state-regulators-weigh-in-on-pesticides-like-never-before/

Washington State regulator Erik Johansen gives lots of public talks to farmers about pesticide use, and he expects a mute shrug or maybe one or two questions in response. Not with cannabis.

“The enthusiasm for me to be there is just—they line up afterward to shake my hand, and they thank me,” said the Department of Agriculture policy assistant. “Cannabis growers have as many questions as you have time to answer. If you have handouts, every last one will be gone. They’re hungry for information.”

Fact is: America’s amateur and professional cannabis gardeners are getting more state guidance than ever before.

Medical and recreational cannabis laws in 35 states have forced officials to weigh in on what should be allowed on cannabis crops—which can be tainted with dangerous chemical sprays. State agencies are responding with unprecedented, official lists of allowable pesticides. These guidelines are rudimentary, but they’re a historic start.

State agencies in California, Colorado, Washington, Oregon and beyond are now routinely posting and updating lists of approved pesticides. California’s Water Board released a modest, one-page list. Colorado’s allowable pesticides list is 26 pages long, and Washington’s list is 22 pages long. Oregon released a list of 257 allowed pesticides February 5. America now has a patchwork of cannabis pesticide laws, with two New England states mandating their programs be completely organic.

This guidance is the first minor step in cleaning up America’s cannabis supply. Thousands of consumers will likely sicken themselves or others either applying or consuming pesticides on cannabis.

Significant amounts of black market cannabis, as well as medical and recreational supplies are tainted, experts say. Under total prohibition—cultivators face little official consequences for spraying. Some farmers will do anything to save the valuable crop, which is subject to infestation from dozens of pests and diseases.

The United States’ first medical cannabis law in 1996 and adult use law in 2012 have helped ignite efforts to clean up legal supplies. Since cannabis is still federally illegal, no pesticide is federally approved for use on cannabis. So states are guiding growers to the most benign active ingredients already allowed for use on analogous crops like tobacco or herbaceous herbs. They’re adapting EPA guidelines of “minimal risk” natural pesticides exempt from mandatory approval—often essential oils, and beneficial molds, fungus, insects or other animals.

“Until things change federally—it’s kind of tough,” said Johansen who developed Washington’s allowed list. “It’s not a perfect system, but it’s a system that at least tried to address [the issue] by allowing things that are fairly low in toxicity.”

Legalization regimes have also begun mandating testing of supplies, which have helped reveal commonly banned pesticides in use.

Colorado’s mandatory pesticide screening has resulted in 19 product recalls in 19 weeks as of early February, affecting hundreds of thousands of items in circulation, from vaporizer cartridges to edibles.

In January, an Oregon lab caught the pesticide abamectin in supposedly organic “Guardian Mite Spray.” Washington State regulators verified the finding, leading to a national advisory and the pulling of Guardian from store shelves.

Washington fined two commercial cultivators in the last year, but guidelines can have the most effect on home growers who now have a concise list of allowed products to use, Johansen said.

Usual Suspects – Banned Pesticides Commonly Found in Cannabis

Myclobutanil:
Fungicide. Active ingredient in notoriously popular Eagle 20 pesticide. World Health Organization (WHO) considers it “slightly hazardous.” Label warns of nervous system problems and toxic fumes.

Imidacloprid:
Insecticide. Found in popular Merit and Mellet brand pesticides. WHO considers it “moderately hazardous.” Considered moderately toxic in ingested or inhaled.

Abamectin and the avermectin chemical family:
Insecticide. Found in Avid and Lucid pesticide brands. The Pesticide Action Network lists avermectin as a “bad actor,” and Avid is labelled as “harmful if inhaled.”]]

Just Getting Started

Washington cannabis farmers now have about 80 allowed active pesticide ingredients, versus about 1,000 for an apple farmer. The state is under pressure to add more allowed chemicals.

“I think we’re being fairly conservative and there’s a reason for that. We just don’t have data to go any further,” Johansen said.

Consumers who want to ensure they are inhaling clean products must either grow their own according to new guidelines, or buy products that come with an independent, third party certification for “organic”-grade cleanliness. In Washington, two companies—Certified Dank and Clean Green—provide such certifications.

“It’s tough right now, to be honest with you,” said Johansen. “I think we’re beginning to get a handle on it. The industry by and large has been very supportive.”

In California, the Department of Pesticide Regulation will help set standards for allowable levels of pesticide residue this year, officials told CULTURE.

Jay Feldman at the non-profit Washington D.C. advocacy group Beyond Pesticides said America has a golden opportunity to ensure the next major legal crop is fully organic.

Colorado’s 26-page list is already too lax, Feldman said. States are giving users a false sense of security, when regulators should be enforcing federal law that no pesticide has been evaluated, let alone approved, for use on cannabis. Copying EPA recommendations from tobacco “is really un-protective of public health and the environment,” he said. “I would say it’s worse than nothing.”

Beyond Pesticides advocates banning all pesticides on cannabis, except organic ingredients listed as OMRI-certified (minus registered pesticides) as well as the EPA’s “minimal risk” “25b” list.

Cannabis has a chance to be a global agricultural role model, instead of another dirty crop, he said.

“There’s no reason at this point to open this industry to chemical dependency,” Feldman said. “That’s where the states should be right now. It’s a huge opportunity. I wish we had these opportunities in some other crops that don’t need pesticides.”

pretty bad to suggest this without anything to back it up.

You have to realize that this guy deals with weekend warrior food plot guys spraying and getting sick.  I've read it numerous times on the hunting sites.  Not to mention many farmers don't follow directions and make resistant weeds, they don't spray on non windy days and get sick also. Synergistically spraying 2 or more pesticides and fungicides and getting them into your system could create real problems.  You should read silent spring by rachel carson.  It outlines how kids were playing on one lawn with one spray that was "safe" and then running into another lawn sprayed with another chemical that was "safe" and the 2 together create a neurotoxin that was hurting kids. To work for a lawn care co. you have to get blood draws to find out if your building any levels.  I'm sure some people spray in enclosed basements.  They probably get sick and think it's a bug or something and recover but you can't tell what damage has been done and how repreat exposure progresses.  And with stuff like avid and spraying a whole crop it's probably happened and will happen again.  Maybe not emergency room visits but who would tell they were spraying their pot crops yesterday?  Anyway that's why I worry about it.  Is it too much?  Not for my life.  Not with all the crap we're exposed to and for being sick and all.  I don't know what symptoms were from candida, MTHFR mutation and anxiety from too much THC, I'm not going to throw another variable in if I don't need to.

I agree that he should've explained better.  Seems the person most at risk is doing the spraying, unless they spray until day of harvest and sell it to people.  The thing that worries me is that all of these sprays are tested for outside use, I think.  Rain and wind and true sun seem to break things down and wash them off different than inside.

besides tobacco pesticides(possibly tested for safety?), these pesticide toxicities are not necessarily considering combustion/inhalation, only rain rinsed edible items grown with the applications.  I used to think the majority of cannabis users were naturalists, nature freak types, because that describes the folks I knew throughout life. They would use natural soaps, eat natural foods, were aware of the chemical warfare going on with our food supply and didn't appreciate it one bit.  I miss those types these days.

Norby... Didnt know that about testing the lawn care folks, as pretty much every commercial chem used by mj growers is sold by the turf management people. A long, long time ago i worked greenskeep at a golf course... They used the same chems i c commercial mj growers use. Im not kidding, there was a guy that would stick his bare hand in the fungicide and pesticide batches to stir it up, but there was never any real training for us grunts, not any testing or oversight, but that was decades ago. Same thing for the hourly workers in the commercial grows nowadays... No safety training, no caution, no accountability, and those folks generally have no clue that the chems r potentially harmful. Iv seen commercial mj growers spray wo suits and respirators... Its scary. They even sell these chems otc out here, which at least in some States is illegal to do, only supposed to sell to licensed folks that went through osha safety training.

Im sure people r being slowly poisoned. Im sure it is also cumulative in effect, so like u pointed out, tough to identify the side effects just on doing the one application, let alone when combining w all the other thousands of commercial chems we r exposed to on a daily basis. We never do extended tests, or ones that look at batches of chems working together to compromise ones health. Fda and epa are just facilitators of commercial enterprise, not watch dogs anymore... They'v been muzzled and defanged, turned into the lapdogs of corporate profiteers. Its actually a bit disingenuous that they r now focusing on mmj yet allow all the other crap into our food, water and air supplies. bunny muffin, you cant even sleep on a modern day bed wo getting a healthy dose of ineffective fire retardent, that isnt tested for extended consequences, yet has olenty of evidence for harms... And since it is big money for the chem industry, it keeps getting sold, applied and taken up by everyone. What will be the consequences in 40 yrs? For that matter, why is autism so rapidly spreading? Cumulative effects, for which we turn our heads from, but for which evidence is abound.

besides tobacco pesticides(possibly tested for safety?), these pesticide toxicities are not necessarily considering combustion/inhalation, only rain rinsed edible items grown with the applications.  I used to think the majority of cannabis users were naturalists, nature freak types, because that describes the folks I knew throughout life. They would use natural soaps, eat natural foods, were aware of the chemical warfare going on with our food supply and didn't appreciate it one bit.  I miss those types these days.

Hey Grassmatch,

My wife and I are still those kind of people, we are farmers that use absolutely no chemicals on any of our crops, put up all of our own food( raise cattle,sheep,meat chickens,laying hens, big gardens, berries and other fruit too),rarely eat any store bought phood. If the economy depended on us it would be in dire straights :>)

Farmer Brown

Farmer Brown

Summer 2014 I decided to start sourcing my food locally and began going to farmers mkts, meeting the farmers and talking to them about

how they grow their crops.  I purchased fruits and veggies organically grown naturally w/ out pesticides/ fungicides.  Occasionally I would

find some little insects or a small amount of insect damage.  A little cold water/ white vinegar rinse and all is good in my book.  I talked w/

the grass fed beef and free range chicken farmers and also began purchasing some meats.  I also bought real honey.

1st. thing I noticed was how fruits, vegs, meat and honey tasted so wonderful, not at all like store bought.

2nd thing I noticed was I was loosing weight, had more energy and was nearly pain free.  I had only 1 migraine headache in over a year... wow.

Since Oct. 2015 I am with out transportation so... I did the easy thing... I began shopping at the regular grocery stores.

I have had 2 migraine headaches recently, I am in pain every day, my mind is clouded and I gained 5 lbs. + my motivation is very low.

I still eat very few processed foods yet have gained 7lbs.  I am also sick w/ an infection that seems to be in my entire body. 

Mucus is our enemy and I am heavily plagued atm.

I am not saying that 'organically' grown foods is the way.  I don't even know for certain that my health turning poorly has anything

at all to do with my recent change of dietary choices.  I am only stating what my personal observations are regarding my own experience.

imho the pesticide companies are only creating pesticide resistant insects so they can create more pesticides.

Not unlike how big pharma operates.

In the future, I will be doing the bulk of my food shopping at the fm.  My own results are all I need to make that decision.

I know I cannot avoid all the chemicals I might ingest, I only look to reduce them drastically.

Summer 2014 I decided to start sourcing my food locally and began going to farmers mkts, meeting the farmers and talking to them about

how they grow their crops.  I purchased fruits and veggies organically grown naturally w/ out pesticides/ fungicides.  Occasionally I would

find some little insects or a small amount of insect damage.  A little cold water/ white vinegar rinse and all is good in my book.  I talked w/

the grass fed beef and free range chicken farmers and also began purchasing some meats.  I also bought real honey.

1st. thing I noticed was how fruits, vegs, meat and honey tasted so wonderful, not at all like store bought.

2nd thing I noticed was I was loosing weight, had more energy and was nearly pain free.  I had only 1 migraine headache in over a year... wow.

Since Oct. 2015 I am with out transportation so... I did the easy thing... I began shopping at the regular grocery stores.

I have had 2 migraine headaches recently, I am in pain every day, my mind is clouded and I gained 5 lbs. + my motivation is very low.

I still eat very few processed foods yet have gained 7lbs.  I am also sick w/ an infection that seems to be in my entire body. 

Mucus is our enemy and I am heavily plagued atm.

I am not saying that 'organically' grown foods is the way.  I don't even know for certain that my health turning poorly has anything

at all to do with my recent change of dietary choices.  I am only stating what my personal observations are regarding my own experience.

imho the pesticide companies are only creating pesticide resistant insects so they can create more pesticides.

Not unlike how big pharma operates.

In the future, I will be doing the bulk of my food shopping at the fm.  My own results are all I need to make that decision.

I know I cannot avoid all the chemicals I might ingest, I only look to reduce them drastically.

No need to apologize for that imiubu, I say you are 100% spot on. Organically fed and managed food stuffs are definitely the way to go if one seeks the ultimate healthful experience. Yours is not an original story for sure. Many of us discover these facts of life, some too late sadly. Nobody I know of began eating correctly and regretted it, nobody. Life changing foods are real, and they're fed with real composting items, the way its naturally been done for eons, for us, with us. following your intuition gave you a gift, make me happy for you.

We moved, and moved and moved until we lived among those who believe similar. That too has been life changing.

congratulations!

Edited by grassmatch

When I first tasted grass fed beef I had thought for years that my smoking cigarettes had dulled my taste buds.  Not nearly as much as I thought.  The taste of food had changed since I was a kid.  Now when I eat a regular steak I can taste the corn in it.

Let thy food be thy medicine and thy medicine be thy food.......

When we change EVERYTHING as fast as we have as a society there are bound to be ramifications.  We've changed our food and medicine completely in the last 150 years. Don't even get me started on antibiotics and candida as I think that is basically what I'm recovering from(antibiotic syndrome).  That and the fact that my MTHFR mutation would have caused 0 problems if we were a society that had real salads at every meal(as that's the only place you find methylfolate(bioactive folic acid) is in uncooked leafy greens).  It's been shown that if you don't have certain gut bacteria at a certain stage in your life it causes you to develop allergies, even if that gut bacteria is replaced after that stage in life.  We're all just a test subject for people to make money.  At a certain point societies "benefits" cease to outweigh the benefits of a harder, closer to natural, life.

Although my wife has a 401k and I buy silver and gold when I get "extra" money(none in the last 4 years) we both plan on living on our land farming and raising our own food.  Raised beds, greenhouse, mushrooms abound, etc.  Taking care of ourselves will be our retirement.  Gives you something to do and growing your own meds and food will hopefully keep us healthy and maybe bring in a few extra dollars.

When I first tasted grass fed beef I had thought for years that my smoking cigarettes had dulled my taste buds.  Not nearly as much as I thought.  The taste of food had changed since I was a kid.  Now when I eat a regular steak I can taste the corn in it.

Let thy food be thy medicine and thy medicine be thy food.......

When we change EVERYTHING as fast as we have as a society there are bound to be ramifications.  We've changed our food and medicine completely in the last 150 years. Don't even get me started on antibiotics and candida as I think that is basically what I'm recovering from(antibiotic syndrome).  That and the fact that my MTHFR mutation would have caused 0 problems if we were a society that had real salads at every meal(as that's the only place you find methylfolate(bioactive folic acid) is in uncooked leafy greens).  It's been shown that if you don't have certain gut bacteria at a certain stage in your life it causes you to develop allergies, even if that gut bacteria is replaced after that stage in life.  We're all just a test subject for people to make money.  At a certain point societies "benefits" cease to outweigh the benefits of a harder, closer to natural, life.

Although my wife has a 401k and I buy silver and gold when I get "extra" money(none in the last 4 years) we both plan on living on our land farming and raising our own food.  Raised beds, greenhouse, mushrooms abound, etc.  Taking care of ourselves will be our retirement.  Gives you something to do and growing your own meds and food will hopefully keep us healthy and maybe bring in a few extra dollars.

this is where I am near now. I hate the power grid, but alternatives are unconvincing, although, this hydrogen flame coming from a bucket of solar powered carbon rods in water has inspired me...

I feel fortunate I'm able to go to the farm where the cows are being fed and slaughtered next door. I get to see the same butcher family cut my beef off of a slab and grind it to burger if I want it. They have pigs and the bacon, naturally smoked no funny business, is the best ever. They taught me the visual and other differences between grass fed and corn or soy fed beef. They carry mostly corn fed because that's the request strangely. When I come in I always get grass fed cut fresh and can see the differences in the freezer, right on the slabs!

I finish feed my organically fed fish with fresh herbs like oregano/lemon grass/thyme, my grass fed rabbits on sweet apples, brown sugar and carrots, my free range meat chickens get more free range foods the day before slaughter, and the eggers eat free range until snow, then grains/corn. I taste the differences seasonally. I prefer (my)free range eggs. I can taste the differences between our different colored eggs too. We have had blue, green, dark brown, light brown and white. We figured it out.... our different breeds lay different colors and they have different diets. We see the blue egger eating by herself out in the fields while others are in the driveway slurping up puddle stuck worms.

The closer I come to supplying my own medicine and foods, the better they perform. Its physical, mental and spiritual healing of the highest order I'm guessing and cant wait till I'm there.

peace

I've found no way of making money doing it though. A little bit here and there from the cannabis garden is all. I don't look for the opportunity too much, like I don't have a farm stand at the end of the lane. I might grow grapes contracted maybe if given the opportunity but I wont seek it, likely wont happen. I see that's a huge thing out this way. Lots of struggling veggie stand farms have giant grape fields going now with fancy "grape wine names" of their farms now. Some folks turned their horse stables into a winery! its getting strange, maybe strange enough to consider brewing artisan thc free hemp into the mix.......

Things around here were quite 'lean' last year & my diet was beans, greens and rice (labeled non gmo).

I felt almost instantly better with out the meat and dairy.  I will again limit my meat and dairy intake to see where that leads me health wise.

I love dairy (cheese :stuff: )  and a big ole fat steak on the barbie I tell ya :bbq:

non gmo is the way to go. here is one skinny;

A specialized bacteria is used in culture to transfer a new gene into the corn(for instance) genome. The bacteria becomes a vector for the transgenic implantation. This bacteria is called Agrobacterium, nice, I know. Its able to drive itself right into the dna and carry along passengers, like little messages to produce a pesticide that kills the corn worm before it causes damages.

The vector bacterium is nurtured with ecoli in culture (been there, done that) where the new genetic coding is inserted(there too)

then the ecoli must be killed before insertion into the new host, the new and improved Corn, FrankenCorn, that now makes its own pesticide within its own dna, exciting right?

Before insertion, soon after the ecoli is killed with tetracycline(survivalists should know pet store is a great source for this, fish) the improved dna with the live agrobacterium with the new passenger, is inserted into the corn genome, but here is the issue.

The Agrobacterium still exists in the corn. In every one of the companymosanto patents with gmo. all of the growing corn is theirs, well not all, but their pollen travels indiscriminately and Monsanto actually sues farmers when their private eyes find a corn plant that is sequenced and proven patented, not planted by the farmer but contaminated by Monsanto.

The cow eats the agrobacterium in the corn. The cow breaks out with nasty sores, with strange fibers growing out of them often, the problem exacerbated by tight quarters of those choosing to feed lot their herds.

These are calls for mass antibiotics to keep them from dying, and they do die a lot near feed lots.

The antibiotics are keeping infections at bay maybe, but the agrobacterium is immune to these over used antibiotics. We eat the corn too, and the beef too, and suffer infections often, and have serious digestion issues too, and some have sores with strange fibers growing out of them. Some of these people have elevated plant growth hormones, the same ones used to culture these monsters, and are fraught with infection and issues and immune bacterium. the agrobacterium carries on into the human organ, strong as bull, ready to erupt. or something like that.

Organic corn at the nearby self bag it farm is twice the cost compared to feed store corn for thought. This represent the true cost of farming corn says the organic farmer, not the subsidized types from china. I love my farmers.

Edited by grassmatch

We've got 1.5 acres that are hayed now.  I'm debating whether to farm it, with real food, garlic, carrots, bok choy, etc. or to plant some pines and wood chips and morel mushrooms. Or both.  Just have to get a tractor with a tiller and such and start amending the soil.  Have to get on to putting a door on the back room of the barn and getting it ready for chickens.  A chicken run on the outside will double for an outdoor enclosure if it doesn't pan out for he chickens.

Things around here were quite 'lean' last year & my diet was beans, greens and rice (labeled non gmo).

I felt almost instantly better with out the meat and dairy.  I will again limit my meat and dairy intake to see where that leads me health wise.

I love dairy (cheese :stuff: )  and a big ole fat steak on the barbie I tell ya :bbq:

i cut out meat from my diet as well and felt a lot better. it was causing so much bloating and gas that it was affecting my breathing.

before i figured out it was the meat, i had cut milk (but not cheese), hfcs, pop, processed foods (except bread, canned/frozen veg). now i mostly eat vegetarian but still sneak in a few bites of meat here and there. even switched over to vegetarian tacos and vegetarian spaghetti.

my grandmother remembers one of her friends used to put drops of something (enzymes?) on his meat before eating to aid in digestion. damned if i can find out what it was though.

plant everything. that way the diversity will help when a season hits hard on one type of crop.

mmm mushrooms.

i just put in some hop rhyzomes. although it would be fun to graft cannabis to hops, maybe when its legal.

a pain in the asz I guess, having to establish the graft every year after winter die off. Sometimes It takes months to accomplish this with cannabis grafted to cannabis.

We've got 1.5 acres that are hayed now.  I'm debating whether to farm it, with real food, garlic, carrots, bok choy, etc. or to plant some pines and wood chips and morel mushrooms. Or both.  Just have to get a tractor with a tiller and such and start amending the soil.  Have to get on to putting a door on the back room of the barn and getting it ready for chickens.  A chicken run on the outside will double for an outdoor enclosure if it doesn't pan out for he chickens.

plant everything. that way the diversity will help when a season hits hard on one type of crop.

mmm mushrooms.

i just put in some hop rhyzomes. although it would be fun to graft cannabis to hops, maybe when its legal.

Hey mushroom guys, check this out:

Free Event

Paul Stamets - Mushrooms for Bees, Trees, People and Planet

Friday, April 22 at 8 PM - 10 PM

Rankin Center at Ferris State University

805 Campus Drive, Big Rapids, Michigan 49307

https://www.facebook.com/events/1739712132908464/

i cut out meat from my diet as well and felt a lot better. it was causing so much bloating and gas that it was affecting my breathing.

before i figured out it was the meat, i had cut milk (but not cheese), hfcs, pop, processed foods (except bread, canned/frozen veg). now i mostly eat vegetarian but still sneak in a few bites of meat here and there. even switched over to vegetarian tacos and vegetarian spaghetti.

my grandmother remembers one of her friends used to put drops of something (enzymes?) on his meat before eating to aid in digestion. damned if i can find out what it was though.

I've gotten a lot better with my diet.  Last nite I had some froyo and realized the dairy still gives me issues.  Felt like my chest was constricted or throat blocked.  I've gone on to RAW probiotics which do wonders and am thinking of adding in their enzyme formula which puts back things that are taken out of our food or destroyed by cooking.  I think it's called o-zyme. Yep here it is:

http://www.vitacost.com/garden-of-life-o-zyme-ultra-ultimate-digestive-enzyme-blend-180-vegetarian-capsules-2

I got the Raw probiotics from garden of life and they seem to work great.

Since little I was "allergic" to bananas. I love bananas, but they make my throat close up, I wheeze heavy, mouth itches, eyes swell and itch. It subsides after 1/2 hour or so. Over the years I found I could tolerate a bit more if someone else peeled and rinsed them off,or if the peels were washed. we washed them when they came in ... but still some suffering. I continued to eat small bites here and there, sometimes worse than others, but I love bananas, and told myself "its getting better each time".

Last year wife brought home her weekly bunch with groceries. I grabbed a half, peeled it, and ate it quickly like I always do, with a glass of milk on standby and warm water to rinse my mouth hands and face. But this time none of that non sense happened. I was cured. Same thing next morning, then I told her. She said look at the label, store was out of normal and she bought "organic" bananas.

Over one year later...I eat bananas at will now, sometimes I eat the peel in the mix too. I suffer none of the crap I did all my life. My parents pimped me out to an allergist too, pick, scrape, itch, monthly shots.

I've since learned it's poisonous fungicide used on the fruits. Not while growing, nope, this is applied in storage/shipping. Its very similar to other fungicides, like the ones some stores(tjmaximus, etc) allow on their clothes for sale. If you ever have a pair of new pants with a smell that just wont wash out......this may be the culprit.

So seems I'm allergic to poisonous fungicide used on fruits and clothing. I'm glad the allergist didn't discover that...I would have been getting shots of poisonous fungicide to acclimate. bstards

I could list more, but organic is a good start. We're not supposed to be dis-eased. We are being systematically poisoned. antibiotics used in food production is robbing our digestive systems of needed bacteria, and that's where our immune system lives. Some "foods" make us run for a toilet, it isn't right. its purposeful, profitable and drives us to the doctor often. go figure. its all rigged!

Edited by grassmatch