New Cardholder - Confused About Rules, Etc

http://www.htgsupply.com/products/growbright-6-inch-high-velocity-fan

this 110-watt, 6-inch fan pushes 424 cubic feet per minute.

In Stock! $100.95

?????

what did i say wrong? the 400cfm fan costs about $100. i didnt get a voltage adjuster though, so it runs at full blast heh.

I was responding to zach, he asked what kinda fan cost 100 bucks!

Chill dude, when I get on your case you will know it, bawahahahahahaha!

Peace

The caregiver comments now has made me think. I just assumed I'd get the license and go shopping in the store. Even though I checked the box that I would pocess the plants I guess I just didn't know enough. I'm on SSDI so clearly I don't have much money that's why I didn't want to spend another $25 for a caregiver- guess I need to rethink.

Keep the comments coming- I like learning :)

The caregiver should pay the $25 fee, not you.

grassmatch the caregiver trying to say how expensive it is to grow... hmmm , trying to save his own job (yes i know grass sets patients up to grow as well).

so grass, whats your estimates for setting up a grow? no including building entire new buildings etc.

Im sorry t, but have to comment here as i feel u r doing what i c hydro stores do all the time... Totally underestimate the real costs of growing, and not including what it takes in knowledge to do a good job of it to boot. I know how much it took me to set up a pro-level grow, and it was in the thousands. I know it took me several years of growing to be able to say that i had experienced enough to make me competent. It sure as hell wasnt as easy as toss a couple seeds in some dirt and throw some light at it... And there ya go, top notch, best of the best, and at pro level yields. There are so many ups and downs to growing that to not mention the potential for complete failure isnt very fair to the listener, not even in slightest is that responsible imo. You didnt even mention the potential cost of cop visit, despite staying totally legal, just because they disnt have the experience to contain odors properly or was sloppy in taking stuff inside such that a pita neighbor makes a complaint. There are plenty examples of people being prosecuted for stupid crap, even while being 'legal'.

The potential costs of a legal battle? That should absolutely be factored in when considering whether or not to grow. Total crop loss due to any of a number reasonable reasons? That should be factored in, along w losing 6mo of time and effort in such a case. Doing a poor job and having unsmokable mj? Or growing something from seed that never amounts to much? More real life considerations. Having to use pesticides or fungicides because there wasnt proper knowledge to mitigate? Another factor of 'costs' imo.

All sorts of things u didnt factor, along w the price of buying higher quality gear brand new. How old is the ballast and how well is the capacitor holding up. Is it a crappy digi that blows its circuitry? What about a deuy? Light containment and building materials? Medium? Drain systems? Manual lifting and dumping, or active? Time to do it all, or being able to tend to the needs of the plants based on their schedule and demands (vs what is convenient for us)? Where/how to toss the trash?

All sorts of factors that should be considered before going into such an endeavor... More than iv listed here even.

Vs... Paying a cg half the costs of a retailer? Having a cleaner, more dependable product? Not having to risk a prosecution? And still being able to go to dispo any time u want?

Plenty of reasons why growing ur own is less than favorable.

That said, i like to do for myself, so yeah trying to grow was something i wanted to do... And worked through all the real costs over time. Iv wasted thousands trying to figure it all out... learning, gaining real experience. It just isnt as ez as some make it out, just like anything in life really. The 'u can do it duffy moon' is a great attitude and all, but the devil is in the details, which dont often get brought up until u r neck deep in a pit.

ehe you caregivers are a thin skinned bunch. :)

thats why i said soil (well, worm poop) in my example price. these are magnetic ballasts , no digital. old and rusted! i reuse, recycle and reduce.

why not post your example grow setup cost, indigro? more real-life examples are good. people dont want to buy used lights/ballasts off random craigslist people. thats skeevy. post your setup and what it cost to get everything.

The caregiver should pay the $25 fee, not you.

To be nice they should but , why pay for the right to grow for your patient.. I do pay the change fee of 10.00 but ,,I dont think  a cG is responsible for that 25.00 extra payment. 

ehe you caregivers are a thin skinned bunch. :)

thats why i said soil (well, worm poop) in my example price. these are magnetic ballasts , no digital. old and rusted! i reuse, recycle and reduce.

why not post your example grow setup cost, indigro? more real-life examples are good. people dont want to buy used lights/ballasts off random craigslist people. thats skeevy. post your setup and what it cost to get everything.

I just wanted to fair about what really goes into growing on your own. There is no skin lost on me by people trying it all out for themselves. Fact of the matter is that most that try fail, or do a poor job, or find it too difficult to maintain (not worth the effort). Almost no one that continues on w it keeps their original 'starter' gear, and end up doing the real investment for the real money. Just to be fair, growing isnt cheap, isnt nec ez, requires work, and has real risk involved. I was trying to offer a more complete picture.

But, if i had to go out and buy a new starter system, for arguments sake just a 1 lighter, then id likely go out w these items:

- 1k mag switchable ballast w a high temp capacitor and a copper coil... Robust, not the cheapest that one can find... Say a hydrofarm powerhouse @300

- magnum 8" xxxl low profile reflector @300

- horti 1k @130

- residential grade deuy 70pt w pump @300

- residential electric 1500w heater @100

- bluelab ec truncheon @140

- bluelab ph pen @110

- hydrologic 200 ro filter @340

- hydrologic tallboy prefilter set @180

- 8" maxfan @240

- titan fan controller @70

- titan light timer w high temp shutoff and hot start delay @130

- heavy duty electrical cords (misc- est) @100

- 32gal commercial rubbermaid trash can @30

- rez recirc pump 1000-1200 gph @80

- can lite 6" 600cfm @190

- misc ducting and flanges @100

- basic circulating fan @30

- 4x4 drain tray w fittings @140

Thats 3010 at full retail for the basic items needed. Does not include:

- medium of choice

- pots of choice

- nutes of choice

- any co2 supplements

- tubing or piping for watering and or draining

- building materials to enclose the area to control for light and air, and misc items to hang and run all the gear

- misc measuring cups, cal solutions, cleaning items, etc

I would say another 1000 for all of those items once u really got into it, for the entire run.

Basically, a decent startup grow will run you 3000-4000 bucks, assuming some discounts to keep it closer to the 3000. And that isnt going extravagent either. We could easily hit 5000 for all the bells and whistles. Basic start up costs.

Then factor in the intangibles:

- dealing w the cops/lawyer

- risking a fire from electrical problems and or a blown bulb

- having problems w the actual growing

- getting bunk genetic material

- bugs

- mold

- problems w neighbors and/or family and/or friends and/or landlords and/or varying trades that might come to the house, keeping it concealed

How much does the above factor in as potential costs? How do you budget/plan for these risks?

Plus, the time demands of plants, balanced against everything else in life that one has to deal with.

There is certainly more to consider than $700 in used basic gear, that likely has a reason it is being dumped to begin with.

Initial startup costs is just part of the picture.

Just wanted to add ... Time. Every day requires some attention. At different points, it becomes a full day of work. The build is going to take several days. Learning about growing and dealing w problems takes more time as well. It adds up, amd many folks just cant commit that much to a project like this.

And again, this is going w basic gear. I mean you will spend 700 on a quality lab grade ph meter alone, and that has upkeep costs to boot. So does the entire grow... Need to replace bulbs, membranes, pumps fail, electrical fails, nutes, medium, etc. its not a just one time cost.

Anyway, it all adda up.

To be nice they should but , why pay for the right to grow for your patient.. I do pay the change fee of 10.00 but ,,I dont think  a cG is responsible for that 25.00 extra payment. 

I pay the $25 and patient pays the $10 fee. I'm sure others are on both sides of this issue. Whatever patient and caregiver agree on is all that matters.

Started out with one 600 watt light, 4 x 4 tent, pots, soil, nutrients, reflector.   Cost: $800

Added another 600 watt system, fans, air conditioner, window covering.        Cost: $800

Dehumidifier. Cost: $200

So, got $1800 in system not including all the small supplies that constantly are needed.

Love growing and seeing the final product.

Lighting cost of $150 each month also.

Im sorry t, but have to comment here as i feel u r doing what i c hydro stores do all the time... Totally underestimate the real costs of growing, and not including what it takes in knowledge to do a good job of it to boot. I know how much it took me to set up a pro-level grow, and it was in the thousands. I know it took me several years of growing to be able to say that i had experienced enough to make me competent. It sure as hell wasnt as easy as toss a couple seeds in some dirt and throw some light at it... And there ya go, top notch, best of the best, and at pro level yields. There are so many ups and downs to growing that to not mention the potential for complete failure isnt very fair to the listener, not even in slightest is that responsible imo. You didnt even mention the potential cost of cop visit, despite staying totally legal, just because they disnt have the experience to contain odors properly or was sloppy in taking stuff inside such that a pita neighbor makes a complaint. There are plenty examples of people being prosecuted for stupid crap, even while being 'legal'.

The potential costs of a legal battle? That should absolutely be factored in when considering whether or not to grow. Total crop loss due to any of a number reasonable reasons? That should be factored in, along w losing 6mo of time and effort in such a case. Doing a poor job and having unsmokable mj? Or growing something from seed that never amounts to much? More real life considerations. Having to use pesticides or fungicides because there wasnt proper knowledge to mitigate? Another factor of 'costs' imo.

All sorts of things u didnt factor, along w the price of buying higher quality gear brand new. How old is the ballast and how well is the capacitor holding up. Is it a crappy digi that blows its circuitry? What about a deuy? Light containment and building materials? Medium? Drain systems? Manual lifting and dumping, or active? Time to do it all, or being able to tend to the needs of the plants based on their schedule and demands (vs what is convenient for us)? Where/how to toss the trash?

All sorts of factors that should be considered before going into such an endeavor... More than iv listed here even.

Vs... Paying a cg half the costs of a retailer? Having a cleaner, more dependable product? Not having to risk a prosecution? And still being able to go to dispo any time u want?

Plenty of reasons why growing ur own is less than favorable.

That said, i like to do for myself, so yeah trying to grow was something i wanted to do... And worked through all the real costs over time. Iv wasted thousands trying to figure it all out... learning, gaining real experience. It just isnt as ez as some make it out, just like anything in life really. The 'u can do it duffy moon' is a great attitude and all, but the devil is in the details, which dont often get brought up until u r neck deep in a pit.

That's real talk.

I've been at it over 2 years, piecing things together as I go + bugs, poorly mixed soil, heat, equip failure, etc... etc...

Yeah, growing takes commitment... time, time and more time. Not an endeavor for the weary imho.

I am getting better of course.  I also grow for myself  because I want to firstly, secondly...

I simply cannot afford to pay someone to do it for me :)

I am certain that if I had been able to buy all the necessary basic 'beginner' grow room gear right up front,

I would be further advanced though.

Good thread. Bottom  line in most cases the MMJ is going to cost you something as everything does. A caregiver will almost always be cheaper and a better situation but If someone can afford a dispensary then that could do fine as well. It all depends on your situation. Good luck and welcome to the MMMA site and program.

Edited by ozzrokk

I was responding to zach, he asked what kinda fan cost 100 bucks!

Chill dude, when I get on your case you will know it, bawahahahahahaha!

Peace

Yeah, for some reason I was thunkin about a regular fan. I have an 4" inline that costs me about $100 with carbon filter (which I don't use) & a speed control. It replaced a $30 inline which just did not move air.

Willy most c.g's do pay for their c.g card, it isnt 10 bucks any longer, when ever you change or renew it cost 25 bucks now, they say they run a back ground check every time on the same c.g!

I personaly didnt even say anything to my c.g when I renewed, oh yea I did, I told him to make sure his other pt's put the extra 25 in when they renew or he wont get his card!

the only 10 buck fee is when you change your address, not when you change cg's, every time a cg gets a new card from a pt it cost 25 bucks!

I have a great deal going with my c.g and wouldnt think of asking him to pay it lol!

Peace

I have now had my cg for over 5 yrs, I only had to seek meds else where one time, and when I did I gave my c.g half of the oz I purchased!

Some people say they wouldnt be a cg to some one they couldnt be friends with, I am not friends with my c.g, we dont do anything together, we dont realy agree on anything in the world lol, we do agree he is an awsome grower, I am a great pt, I dont bug my cg, I know how to grow and know you cant put a date on when they will be done, or when you will have a power failure, bugs, etc,

If I am running low and havent heard from my cg I will usualy give him a call, most times he dont answer the phone lol, but I do hear back from him and usualy he says are you home?  Im 5 minutes away I will be there in a few mins, if im not home we have a place he stashes it, 5 yrs I have only had to get 1 oz from some one else, now how can anyone complain about that?

I need to find my receipts for all I bought when I started back up as a legal grower, I have every receipt for everything I have purchased, including nutes lol! I didnt go big time but made sure if I wanted to get out of the tents, I had the equipment to do so!

I just moved so I will have to stay in my tents, I will also have to add a.c and a heater, I didnt need either in my basement grow!  Now I will be growing in the 2nd floor of a retired cops garage, bawahahahahahahahaha!  realy!

Peace

grassmatch the caregiver trying to say how expensive it is to grow... hmmm , trying to save his own job (yes i know grass sets patients up to grow as well).

so grass, whats your estimates for setting up a grow? no including building entire new buildings etc.

heres what i did.

2 tents 300

2 ballasts/bulbs/sockets 300

2 bigfoot low profile flood/drain sys-600

2 technaflora "kits"

1 stink sock/fan combo 200

1 bag rocks 20

rapid rooters, dome, 25

ppm, tds meters 80

220 light controller(connected to thermostat 220), timer, 150

I had a budget of 1500 at the time. I was able to buy the above and purchase enough

bud to last till I harvested.

I need to find my receipts for all I bought when I started back up as a legal grower, I have every receipt for everything I have purchased, including nutes lol! I didnt go big time but made sure if I wanted to get out of the tents, I had the equipment to do so!

I just moved so I will have to stay in my tents, I will also have to add a.c and a heater, I didnt need either in my basement grow! Now I will be growing in the 2nd floor of a retired cops garage, bawahahahahahahahaha! realy!

Peace

Dont tally those receipts, can get depressing. ;-)

And i believe the cop garage, lol. I know one retired cop that worked security at a dispo. I know, kind of at an arms length or two, several active duty cops w cg cards that grow, and a retired one as well. I believ that most cops (from a personal perspective) really could care less about mj, in that they know the policy towards it is futile and that there are no real harms to society... Yet they would still do their jobs no doubt, so...?!?

I pay the $25 and patient pays the $10 fee. I'm sure others are on both sides of this issue. Whatever patient and caregiver agree on is all that matters.I

I'm a patient with a CG. I paid the entire fee because my CG is also a friend of 15+ years. And I use so very little amount, I get my meds for free.

He'll grow 2 or 3 strains and come over with a 1/4 oz. of each for me. And he refuses any money. He also supplies me with a mason jar of butter every couple of months. Very good meds and butter.