Led Lights

Tigersfann420

I spent a lot...Around $5,0000... I have a total of 35 emitters....3-T4, 5- T3, 3-T2 and 2 -T1....I used to run 3- 1000w HPS with 3- 150w HPS to fill a couple areas on 3-120v 20a circuits totaling 37 amps total draw....Now I just use 2-120v 20a circuits and  draw 25a total...With MUCH more light! ...HJ

http://www.tastyled.com/default.asp

:)

Correct me if im wrong, but they produce less heat as hid counterparts(lower bill)and dont really require any long term maintaince like bulb replacements...so maybe a good investment for long term, but the price has steadily been declining. I was gona grab a diy kit as posted above, but decided to just get some 315cmh's instead.

there are lots of journals proving the efficacy of the cob leds. They just still cost alot for the amount of coverage they give.

I've seen lots of post on the subject and just can't justify the cost to come even close to a hps...I mean 700-1000$ for a led light that matchs my 600 watt hps that cost around 100$ for a ballast and Mabey 100 more for a hood....

I've seen lots of post on the subject and just can't justify the cost to come even close to a hps...I mean 700-1000$ for a led light that matchs my 600 watt hps that cost around 100$ for a ballast and Mabey 100 more for a hood....

yah, that is ultimately, why i have not bought any. The price is slowly coming down, maybe another couple years lol.

What wattage LED would be needed to replace a 600 watt HPS?

This is not related to COB lights, but thought you might be interested. This is what I use. According to the manufacture, Dormgrow.com, the G8-450 (280 actual W) "The 450 Watt Full Spectrum LED Veg/Flower Grow Light - Replaces 800 Watt MH/HPS Systems"

"This light is for vegetative growth & flowering cycles and provides intense coverage for a minimum of 12 square feet and greater. Place two or more 4 feet on center and increase the grow area per light from cross coverage. Add a 90W Red UFOs during flowering for max yield. Penetration up to 60 inches past the plant canopy. We use high quality Infrared diodes which output a nearly invisible wavelength beyond the light spectrum."

"G8LED has formulated and tested the ideal color ratio with 8 bands of the color spectrum including Infrared (IR), Ultraviolet plus 6000K white."

"Effective PAR ratings should be above 600uMol to be highly effective in photosynthesis for the growth of the plant. G8LED grow lights have PAR ratings of 1200-3600 uMol which means they are very effective in growing plants! If photon flux density of light per meter squared per second is too confusing for you, we have simplified the specification and provided the recommended grow area coverage for each LED grow light."

I run two 450s and two 90W Red UFOs over a 3x6 bed - usually 8 plants. My last grow provided .75 g per Watt, 2.31 oz per plant. $600 each, discount on two or more. Currently running a 10% off total order.

Edited by medmanmike

This is not related to COB lights, but thought you might be interested. This is what I use. According to the manufacture, Dormgrow.com, the G8-450 (280 actual W) "The 450 Watt Full Spectrum LED Veg/Flower Grow Light - Replaces 800 Watt MH/HPS Systems"

"This light is for vegetative growth & flowering cycles and provides intense coverage for a minimum of 12 square feet and greater. Place two or more 4 feet on center and increase the grow area per light from cross coverage. Add a 90W Red UFOs during flowering for max yield. Penetration up to 60 inches past the plant canopy. We use high quality Infrared diodes which output a nearly invisible wavelength beyond the light spectrum."

"G8LED has formulated and tested the ideal color ratio with 8 bands of the color spectrum including Infrared (IR), Ultraviolet plus 6000K white."

"Effective PAR ratings should be above 600uMol to be highly effective in photosynthesis for the growth of the plant. G8LED grow lights have PAR ratings of 1200-3600 uMol which means they are very effective in growing plants! If photon flux density of light per meter squared per second is too confusing for you, we have simplified the specification and provided the recommended grow area coverage for each LED grow light."

I run two 450s and two 90W Red UFOs over a 3x6 bed - usually 8 plants. My last grow provided .75 g per Watt, 2.31 oz per plant. $600 each, discount on two or more. Currently running a 10% off total order.

See to me this backs up my point....I run 2 600 watt hps and I run 4 to 6 plants at a time and I averaged at least 4oz a plant in a perpetual harvest, the cost today for similar lights and hoods is around 400$ total.

I feel like led lights are either for people growing in closets or people with way to much money to spend. I've seen some good led grows but they have tons of money invested

From what I've read the real advantage of LED's is that you can dial in color spectrum in more detail. I was curious about whether the increased yield and electric savings was enough to justify the initial expense.

This is my exp. your milage may very:

I did a four year average of my electric consumption in our 2,000 sq ft house with central AC (SW Michigan) prior to growing. I run two grows a year with the above mentioned lights. My 10x12' room is in the basement so I have no additional AC other than the house AC. I have the typical fans, humidifier, dehumidifier, etc. I'm averaging an additional 262 kWh per month. At $0.105011 per kWh, my additional costs are approx. $27.55 (for the grow) per month. My highest usage was this past August, which was a hot month. Total kWh used for the entire house was 1631.

We live on a peninsular of an inland lake that empties into Lake MI. Water levels are high this year so the basement was exceptionally humid. I had to run a dehum. in the basement and one in the grow room to keep the RH respectable. The humid. in the grow room added add. heat. To be honest, I ran hotter than I would have liked this summer: low 80s in the grow room. Last summer, with the same lights, wasn't a problem. My intent is to add a minisplit or other AC. My highest elec. bill ever was in August - $170 something.

Edited by medmanmike

What wattage LED would be needed to replace a 600 watt HPS?

Depends on the footprint.  Tasty LED has the following recommendations on their site:

PPFDvs growth

PPFDchart003

My T4-2100 in a 2'x4' space is 600 watt HPS equivalent, I believe.

It is a significant saving on electricity.  Still installing my DTE monitoring device, so I can't quote you numbers.

Advantage to me is that it is small and cool so I can jack it right up to the top of my 8ft tent
and grow some of the Sativa's that I love.

As an apartment grower, not much heat and not much noise is a great advantage.

A COB light is full spectrum, and I am interested in determining if this is better than
spectrum adjustable LED panels, such the Mars Hydro Cree 256.  I am currently growing
the same plant under the COB that I just finished in the Mars Hydro, so we'll see.

So far, it seems to be growing the sh*t out of it.  :yahoo-wave:
Edited by iwombat

• 2 weeks later...