Marijuana — Bho Explosions On The Rise

Malamute

http://www.thedailyreporter.com/article/20160417/NEWS/160419101/?Start=1

Coldwater, Mich. 

BRANCH/HILLSDALE COUNTY — Marijuana is legal in the state of Michigan for medicinal use, but currently there is legislation in the works to legalize it for recreational use as well, and may be on the Michigan ballot for the November 2016 elections.

The Marijuana Legalization Initiative ballot summary found on Michigan.gov website states,"An initiation of legislation to allow under state law the personal possession and use of marijuana by persons 21 years of age or older; to provide for the lawful cultivation and sale of marijuana and marijuana-infused products by persons 21 years of age or older; to permit the taxation revenue derived from commercial marijuana facilities and to require that any such taxes be used for the purposes of education, public safety, and public health; to permit the legislature to require licensing of commercial marijuana facilities by establishing a Michigan Cannabis Control Board, which board would be responsible for enforcement and administration of this act, including the promulgation of administrative rules. This proposal is to be voted on at the November 8, 2016 general election."

Voters can read the full text of the proposed legislation by visiting www.michigan.gov.

The potential legalization of marijuana might not sit well with some for various reasons, and there happens to be one particularly dangerous occurrence, in relation to marijuana, that is on the rise in states that are already legalized.

Butane Hash Oil explosions are increasing due to using butane to extract THC for the purpose of creating a new marijuana product that looks like wax, commonly referred to on the streets as 'dabs', wax, honey, shatter, or 'budder.'

According to the Drug Enforcement Agency, this new marijuana concentrate has the consistency of lip balm, and is easy to conceal in lip balm jars. It can be eaten or smoked, and it is made from the oils of marijuana plants and has a much higher level of THC, the chemical that gets the user 'high.'

Wax dabs are relatively easy to make, according to the DEA, but to extract the THC is a dangerous process.

In 2014, DEA Administrator, Michele Leonhart reported that the abuse of 'wax' was increasing throughout the United States.

"In 2013, the THC content of leaf marijuana averaged 14 percent, while the THC content of marijuana concentrates averaged 54 percent, with some samples reported as high as 99 percent" Leonhard said. Adding that, "Highly flammable butane gas is used to extract the THC from the marijuana leaf, and has resulted in home explosions, injuries, and deaths."

Currently there are four states, and the District of Colombia, that have legalized recreational marijuana, with 23 states (including Michigan) making it legal for medicinal purposes. The states of Washington, Colorado, and Oregon have all had reports of an increase in BHO explosions. 

Page 2 of 2 - The DEA, and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms, have reported that THC labs are being reported nationwide, particularly in the western states, and in states where local and state marijuana laws are more relaxed.

ATF explosive experts report that the danger can be greater in states that have legalized marijuana because people have access to larger quantities of marijuana plants. Additionally, ATF agents aren't taking a position on the legalization of marijuana, but are asking lawmakers to consider the ramifications of permitting hash oil extraction.

Also ATF agents report that when the process is done wrong, it can cause a fireball or flash fire that can blow out windows and doors.

In 2014, Colorado had 32 confirmed hash oil extraction explosions, and 30 injuries. This was reportedly up from 12 explosions and 18 injuries in 2013 in that state, and more people are learning about this method of extracting THC and are wanting it, for a cleaner, and stronger high, according to authorities in Colorado.

A report from an investigation in Oregon from May of 2014 stated that, "A single spark can lead to an explosion during production."

The DEA states that, the effects of these highly concentrated forms of marijuana may be more psychologically and physically intense than plant marijuana use. To date the long term effects of marijuana concentrates are yet fully known, but the effects of plant marijuana use can include; paranoia, anxiety, panic attacks, and hallucinations, as well as and increase in one's heart rate and blood pressure.

Executive Director of the Federal Northwest High Intensity Drug Trafficking Areas program, David Rodriguez, said in a 2014 report that, "It's a relatively new phenomenon" adding that, "The instances so far (of BHO labs) compared to the amount of illegal grows out there is few and far between, but by far it's the most dangerous thing they can be doing right now."

Rodriguez likens hash oil labs to methamphetamine labs, a comparison that other law enforcement authorities have drawn as well, due to the public danger posed by the activities.

Many methods are used to convert marijuana into marijuana concentrates, and the butane extraction process appears to be the most common. The DEA reports that this method is extremely dangerous because of the use of the highly flammable butane to extract the THC. Given the extremely volatile nature of heating butane, which creates a gas, this extraction process has resulted in these violent explosions.

Currently the state of Michigan does not have any statistics regarding BHO explosions in this state, but there has been reported explosions so far in Warren, Saginaw, Ypsilanti, and Rockford Mich.

Also ATF agents report that when the process is done wrong, it can cause a fireball or flash fire that can blow out windows and doors.

I'd like to see them instruct of the right ways to extract the active ingredients from useless vegetable matter of cannabis, the ways that people are using to cure their cancers without blowing themselves up, happens all the time. Many more successful extractions have taken place compared to the few that are doing it near flames and sparks. 

I'd like to see them instruct of the right ways to extract the active ingredients from useless vegetable matter of cannabis, the ways that people are using to cure their cancers without blowing themselves up, happens all the time. Many more successful extractions have taken place compared to the few that are doing it near flames and sparks.

You see, there you go. Encouraging an activity that blows roofs off. And then you want that roof on my garden.

Got it bassackwards bro.

I encourage safe driving too, although that kills thousands yearly. I encourage safe firearm usage, and we know how that turns out. sorry I cant fix stupid.

There is a right way and a wrong way as the officer implied. I encourage safe medicine production. It doesnt even have to be bho, just ask JC, the OE(original exractor)

I don't really understand the fascination with butane oil anyway.  Don't you get better and purer extracts using water extraction? Basic kief? Basic hash? Are people saying the only way to get medical properties are butane extractions now?

I find it to be nonsense personally.

Its easy , any dumb donkey can do it and feel like there knowledgeable

Hmmm,

I guess I should say,.. what is the difference between solid trichome heads and liquefied trichome heads?  You get more stems in oil I guess?

*shrug*

But overall, the entire hash oil craze that has occurred over the last ten years is what I find surprising.  I am guessing it has more to do with the e-cig fad.

heck, 20 years ago you could hardly give oil away. Sure, the few enjoyed it occasionally, but it has now become so popular I am not sure why.

I did my first extractions in the 80's using the classic isomizer,

post-31484-0-25261200-1461025699_thumb.jpg

It isn't like I am not 100%  aware and decades experienced on any of these items, I just wonder what  started the serious fad for honey oil(see, I am old I guess).

I mean, it isn't like I care beyond just curiosity as to why.  But I hear people say only oil will help you and I find that absurd. ;-)

For example, why do parents feel butane oil is the only way to treat their kids Wouldn't keif do the same thing with less CBN?

If I doubted you I wouldn't have offered. 

Personally, if I had some fire full melt I'd probably still just make rosin from it so I could do dabs. It's faster to consume, it can be more discreet, and particularly for my daytime needs I find them more effective.    

Not sure if you've put a loop to spent material after running tane through it, but the stalks are still there. I'd have to say that generally speaking anecdotal and quantitative analysis seem to both confirm the superiority of hydrocarbon based preparations be it by measure of effect or cannabinoids/terpenes present in the sample. Preparations have come a long way in a short time and with fractional distillation on the horizon continued advancements can be expected.  

I don't see a benefit of one preparation over another for oral consumption necessarily. Might be better to ask someone with more experience.

Ive run over 20 extractions over the last 5 years always outdoors never blew up anything.

Personally, if I had some fire full melt I'd probably still just make rosin from it so I could do dabs. It's faster to consume, it can be more discreet, and particularly for my daytime needs I find them more effective.    

Not sure if you've put a loop to spent material after running tane through it, but the stalks are still there. I'd have to say that generally speaking anecdotal and quantitative analysis seem to both confirm the superiority of hydrocarbon based preparations be it by measure of effect or cannabinoids/terpenes present in the sample. Preparations have come a long way in a short time and with fractional distillation on the horizon continued advancements can be expected.  

I don't see a benefit of one preparation over another for oral consumption necessarily. Might be better to ask someone with more experience.

In Vivo:  BTW, you're talking to the guy who doesn't believe in quantitative analysis of cannabis...  

the water in a hash bag type extraction is not the solvent. This is a mechanical extraction using the water as a carrier of whole plant material buts, screened and sorted by micron sizes of trichomes. The ice and water cools the waxy trichomes to facilitate an easy mechanical break from the stalk/leaf. I like the end product alot, very tasty, very waxy, very smooth.

A proper solvent will target only the active ingredients, not plant material bits, but the actual chemical active ingredients. Olive oil, alcohol, hexane, propane, etc also do this, in a broader targeting. ntane is the closest polarity match to these active ingredients. I love the end results of this process every time. Hand rubbed charas, hash bags, butane, hot coffee, alcohol, its all good. Some of the earliest mentioned cannabis extractions are performed with chemicals of course, like olive oil, naptha, etc. I have to say I enjoy the purest cannabis extractions most, right down to the Absolut.

Im the opposite, but i still mostly roll jbirds to give u a baseline, i like the airier high

Oil, though i appreciate the yummy yummy sticking to the roof of my mouth, becomes too heavy esp over time, it almost has a hangover effect and loses the peak high over time

Full melt bubble is less so, and still uber tasty, and is imo easier to work with, just not as darn sticky/messy. Only problem is that most people's hash isnt full melt, they go for weight and get way too many stalks in there

Yeah, id take really good full melt over oil for a day to day, but would still need jbirds to air it out and keep it fresh, oil as a treat here and there

I'm still a fan of joints, but I find them slightly more sedating.

Just like other preparations not all hydrocarbon based preparations are created equal. This is a piece of silver mountain. It smells just like silver mountain (really just like ssh). These preparations can be very stable with undeniably discernible terps.  

IMG_0554.jpg

I used to save up and save up my sugar leaf and tiny budds for bho only!  I would much rather eat my oil than smoke it, So I figure why not just make cannabutter, it works as well or better for me, When I use medibles it last so much longer for pain the smoking or vaping!

I pretty much am done making bho, I dont have a  need for it ( Im not a c.g who has a pt that needs oil) So I have been just making butter, it is not dangerious to make, you can do it in your home and not worry about some one walking up on you,,,,(Booooom) ......and I can use the butter on anything I choose, I put it on toast, english muffins, noodles, hash browns, you name it and you can put cannabutter on it, I dont make brownies with it, I dont make anything with cannabutter........I always make it stronger than called for, I use 2 oz to 1 lb of butter, You dont have to use as much that way (butter is fattening) I honestly forget to smoke mm, I realy dont have a need for many budds to smoke, I usualy only smoke at nite before I go to sleep, and most nites I dont even do that, If I take a dose in the morning and another at dinner, im good to go, heck it works for my pain for a few days!

Because I started smoking cigs and mj at a real early age, I am very much in need of quiting all smoking of any kind!  I dont want to but if I want to enjoy the next 25 yrs, I best quit like yesterday the cig's!

I made bho for the 1st time in 1979!  I found a recipe in high times, and I have been makin it ever since,  When I have enough scraps to make it, I have only made oil one time with all budds!  The only difference I have seen using the same strain, Is I get more oil using Budds only, but the sugar leafs and tiny budds makes the same potency, I just get less oil per oz!

I am totaly happy this week with cannabutter, but I guess oil and cannabutter are both ilegal, the best thing to me about oil is you turn lb's into grams, and with cannabutter you turn grams into lb's,,,,,so not only is it fattening but it makes your weight allowance go over!

Im going to go make me an english muffin! :blow-a-heart:

Peace

When we can't do things safely we beg for DRACONIAN regulations from the people who want to stop the madness. DAMMMMN the s-o-b-s that make it necessary. I hope they have all blown themselves up and are dead, but i hope in vain. Another idiot blows himself up, you'll see.

Personally know this kid that had an accident, real nice kid, no bad intentions whatsoever. Forever has scarred tissue all up and down his arm and leg from doing bho. He just simply didn't know any better, took advice from someone else that didnt know any better, a person that has been lucky enough to not blow himself up, or simply omitted very important safety info. Anyway, il pass on to the kid u feel he should have just died.

Making BHO is dangerous unless you know basic chemistry and safety measures. I've never made it before but there are two important rules.

1. Use a fume hood or large outdoor area, preferably with light wind so that butane does not accumulate to dangerous levels.

2. Never use an open flame.

I'd bet that most of the explosions have happened indoors, possibly with the use of an open flame to evaporate the butane. These are definitely not comparable to meth labs however. Again I don't know the specifics, but meth labs typically have very toxic and corrosive chemicals that are much more dangerous if they ignite or leak.

A closed loop system requires no ventilation, no fume hood, no heat, has automated vacuum, no power, no dangerous pressures, no off gasing, no smells, no atmosphere release, and guarantee by weight that 100% of the solvent is reclaimed when using a proper polar solvent. No education is needed, but a user will have to be able to read instructions. th escience behind the operation is the bonus if one cares to learn it, very simple basic stuff. 

there are dedicated equipment manufacturers that specialize in these types of tools google Tamisium. They're inexpensive, safe, and used by the pharmaceutical /perfume/food/essential oil industry for many years. distillation is eons old. people still blow up their back yard stills, even though there are safer methods available.

its not magic really. some people have momentary lapses of common sense though.  dont boil explosive gases indoors or outdoors. dont use flames around explosive gases kind of stuff. cant fix that with proper equipment, school, or jail evidently. 

Edited by grassmatch

IMO, that guy from Tami is a joke. I didn't put him on blast out of respect for you GM. I'll help anyone that needs it. I'd start a thread but I have nothing new to offer that can't be found elsewhere. 

If you're open blasting you're a moron and are part of the problem. I'm no longer going to be nice about it. I also submit an offer to mail you a paper towel with residual petroleum compounds that's in your oil. It's gross. Stop it. You can probably put a cls together for like $500 depending on your requirements. There's no excuse.    

IMO, that guy from Tami is a joke. I didn't put him on blast out of respect for you GM. I'll help anyone that needs it. I'd start a thread but I have nothing new to offer that can't be found elsewhere. 

If you're open blasting you're a moron and are part of the problem. I'm no longer going to be nice about it. I also submit an offer to mail you a paper towel with residual petroleum compounds that's in your oil. It's gross. Stop it. You can probably put a cls together for like $500 depending on your requirements. There's no excuse.    

Take  your butane and spray some on a peice of glass or mirror, if there is any residue left after it dry's on its own dont use it!

Peace

well, thank you sir. but really I don t know him, he doesnt know me. I dont think I like Henry Ford much either, but they make nice trucks today, (I drive a Ram)

I'm familiar with one product he sold. Of course imagined a homemade one on my paper pad too, but this might be too important for  \someone to saving a few bucks. It might be too affordable  to bother, and is a cool looking distillation tool. I've built distillers, and I've bought them. The ones I bought are still around, the ones I made, well....parts.  It could crank perfumes out from flower gardens, make delicious Rose Otto, capture hydrosols effectively clean, and more. directions are clear, function is spot on, a very short learning curve imo. On your advice though, I wont be inviting him over for dinner....lol

peace