Marijuana — Bho Explosions On The Rise

Malamute

Take  your butane and spray some on a peice of glass or mirror, if there is any residue left after it dry's on its own dont use it!

Peace

thats a start phaq. but there is more too it. google "skunk pharm, mystery oil.

distilling any smoke shop can of butane I find a bit of oil left behind after the gas is evaporated, under vacuum, sealed up and cold.

keep in mind a bit of oil can be distilled right out of a new cleaned ball bearing too.

I am thinking that the butane within the cans, under pressure, actually extracts a bit of oil from the unlined can, or perhaps its a bit of manufacturing necessity, like ot lubricate the nozzle before inserting the valve, or a lube strip under the weld on the bottom,,,, not sure, but they all produce it. I'm afraid to check on the newer "nbutane" contents....cuz then whats left!

actually, one could safely distill the canned contents, remove any residuals,  reclaim the purer butane, and then have it forever to use.

LOL. It's just ancient alien tek with low end unsafe parts, futuristic prices, and constant claims of infringement of his patent on technology that he stole from the public domain. Other than that 100%.

My entry level setup is essentially a mark IV. I couldn't imagine having safer components.    

please tell me more of these unsafe parts?   the remainder......prolly correct, in the foot steps of every other manufacturer of specialty products.

aware of those groups of specialized surgeons who demand purchase of tools from every hospital expecting them to practice within, the only place to buy the tools specified are from their corp, the one owned by the surgeons !   some of these screwdriver brain pryers cost 50k! maybe goes deeper than that, electronics, machines, contracted drugs, uniforms.....who knows.... I wont blame a man for profiting.   but, unsafe parts?   thats a different story, please elaborate, maybe keep users safer with replacements/considerations.

thanks

Single hinge clamps aren't kosher in general, certainly not so on anything over 2", particularly a collection spool on a system that looks like it can be top heavy. That's the big thing that caught my eye right away. I'd replace all those with high pressure clamps. The quick connects might be another issue since they're known to fail over time.      

Both of these issues are easy to rectify, it just seems sad that a system that goes for over $1200 (with maybe $300-$400 worth of parts) wouldn't spring for the clamps that are safer and only slightly more in the first place.

I agree that a CLS would be the best, but the majority of people out there are not going to spend that much or make their own system. There’s too many videos out there of people using open systems, indoors, sometimes with open flames. I can guarantee that this is the cause of >90% of explosions and some simple safety measures would significantly reduce this.

Things explode because there’s an accumulation of gas and a source of ignition. Any other types of explosions would be able to happen with CLS also, and are by themselves unlikely.

So for anyone out there who is going to do it anyways and lack a CLS, please make sure you are at least outside, well ventilated, and do not use an open flame.

Edited by Alphabob

I agree that a CLS would be the best, but the majority of people out there are not going to spend that much or make their own system. There’s too many videos out there of people using open systems, indoors, sometimes with open flames. I can guarantee that this is the cause of >90% of explosions and some simple safety measures would significantly reduce this.

Things explode because there’s an accumulation of gas and a source of ignition. Any other types of explosions would be able to happen with CLS also, and are by themselves unlikely.

So for anyone out there who is going to do it anyways and lack a CLS, please make sure you are at least outside, well ventilated, and do not use an open flame.

Iv made a few runs with bho i dont use a closed loop system. I simply stand in the middle of my yard where not a single person is. I open blast and have never had a problem i let it sit outside for about a half hour or so then bring it in and all seems to work just fine no booms. Id like to get a cls but iv only made it a few times and dont have plans to do it any more ( due to the problem of not having the proper heating pad to do so.

Using a hot water bath is probably the best way if your not using a CLS. Butane autoignites at 761F (405C), so even if your using boiling water (100C) it should be fine.

The problem is that people see their stoves, extract it into a glass tray and think “hey this will be easy”; unfortunately the flame of gas stoves or bic lighters is around 2000C, and a red hot heating coil is >1000C.

When enough of the butane evaporates into the air and reaches a concentration of 1.8% - 8.4%, it will explode if there is a source of ignition. The safest way to handle butane is either less than or greater than these concentration levels; open system outdoors = less than, CLS = more than.

Edited by Alphabob

Alphabob, I dig your online persona. You seem to demonstrate the type of thoughtful compassion that I can only strive to emulate. Kudos

It's not as if I'm any less of a moron over here. Just for different reasons at this point. We all do foolish things. Hopefully most of us are also always striving to improve. I open blasted for years, hell, I even used the mason jar method substituted with a large stainless steal stockpot for longer than I'd like to admit. For a long time I didn't know any better. Nobody told me I was being a moron. Until I told them my tek. Then I adjusted accordingly.

If you can operate a wrench, you can put together a cls. It sounds much more complicated than it actually is. I guess that's what I'm driving at.

If you're open blasting outside at least look into anti-static mats and wrist bands. All it would take is one spark of static electricity to ruin your day. That being said, you can likely pull it off without killing yourself, but if you're not distilling your tane there will be no way to fully purge your preparation.  

GM, there's definitely been plenty of cls failures. You have to look at the pictures of bho fires in the news to see what type of setups they were running. There's also plenty of first hand accounts of blowouts, most of which didn't result in a fire due to proper work environments. I'll post in that other thread shortly.

Making BHO is dangerous unless you know basic chemistry and safety measures. I've never made it before but there are two important rules.

1. Use a fume hood or large outdoor area, preferably with light wind so that butane does not accumulate to dangerous levels.

2. Never use an open flame.

I'd bet that most of the explosions have happened indoors, possibly with the use of an open flame to evaporate the butane. These are definitely not comparable to meth labs however. Again I don't know the specifics, but meth labs typically have very toxic and corrosive chemicals that are much more dangerous if they ignite or leak.

Il give u two examples that i know of:

- use of a standard evac fan, like any one that can be found anywhere. Alll electronics can, often do, produce tiny arcs of current when powering up, some r better than others, but if u get juice flowing between metal parts, tiny arcs can form for a split second. If fumes r present, boom.

- use of electronic heating elements, same reason as above.

Any electronics that power on in the area of butane flames can spark an explosion. Which is why they make exhaust fans specifically for evacuating combustable vapors, like one would find in certain labs and or commercial apps. Combine that w a limited knowledge of how butane vapors pool and behave... Totally unexpected ball of high temp, expanding flame. They never c it coming.

the cls fails I know of all were using one of those refrigerator pumps to reclaim.  other than that I know of none. If a tamisium was used with high heat, or produced high pressures I'd be concerned. there is no heat, little to no pressure for thought.  My days of scrapping aluminum Binks paint sprayer cans together ended soon after I was carded. I didnt want a learning curve, especially with butane and medicine. A food grade, FDA approved, sealed unit fit the bill well. 

I doubt yard blasters would care to source anti static wrist bands and mats right?

for a person spending 40 bucks a gram for their oil, compared to 5 dollar cans of butane to make their own, it only takes 25 or so uses to pay for a tami... with reclaimed butane each time even less uses to recoup costs. no pumps, no power, no hiss, no fuss. Best option I've seen since 2008. I dont know anyone who open blasts today that will buy one though.

be safe

I extract into a pyrex brownie pan, I put the pyrex inside of a larger pyrext pan, after extraction I pour hot tap water in the larger pan, it evapes the liquid butane, I scoop up put into my super duper safety milk glass oil stash holder,  I put it on a cup warmer let bubble, take off pop bubbles, repeat until no more bubbles, dont leave it on the heat longer than it takes to bubble.

by than im usualy rubbing my bubble popper on a cig, and there is no longer any threat of explosion!

seriously if people would use common sense they wouldnt be blowing them selves up!

I dont strongly advise against making this in any way, it is not legal at this time!  :yahoo-wave:

Be safe people use your heads!

Peace

I love both. I dont care about yields luckily, but I do see a diminished yield with bubble bags, compared to dry sift/shake pollen cans, and an ntane xtract.

I hate the idea of adding water to my dry product, and am stuck on this pollen shaker for my bubble. 

smallbiz, have you seen the dry shaker in my "essential tools" thread?

No I haven't, I'll look. When I'm talking yield, I'm only running like 11-13g of sugar leaf, witch gets me about 1-1.5g oil, very small amounts. I only do it because I have to, I don't really have enough to do bubble and get enough melty product or any for that matter. Maybe one day I hope, bubble is what helps me the most.

thats not a terribly bad return for open blast butane, hash bags or the shaker really.

I use a crank flour sifter to prepare my cannabis first. Warming it a bit will increase the effects a bit if you seek those, and also will provide a heavier waxier yield. it is delicious, a little less potent by weight, but who cares, its still very effective. Adding all of your trim will also increase the yields. get the 12 dollar shaker at amazon, you wont regret it.

that metal one is the one I have, i love it, use it every week. you can roll your oil in it too, for an easy handle option, little hash feel.

its often out of stock but the plastic one wouldnt scare me either, and its cheaper, a little.

have fun. sometimes for a better experience I keep mine, loaded, in the freezer. when I need some keif I shake, collect, and back in the freezer. I'm amazed at the quality of the sift under a scope, its pure bliss. heated and whipped makes a cool budder, mixed with alcohol, winterized, and evaporated makes a superb oil. in coffee on toast, and your finger....its a good

dont grind up like you might for butane, just put your buds and stuff in there,  I dont crush any material. a gentle shake and voila!