Just Another Example Of How Bad It Is Getting

Indigro

Link to original report on their site

http://www.anh-usa.org/anh-releases-study-of-glyphosate-in-breakfast-foods/

Glyphosate, primary ingredient in popular herbicide Round Up, present in 40% of products tested

April 19, 2016 — Today, the Alliance for Natural Health-USA (ANH-USA) released the results of food safety testing conducted on an assortment of popular breakfast foods. Enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA) testing revealed the presence of glyphosate; the most widely used agricultural herbicide, in 10 of the 24 food samples tested.

Glyphosate (N-(phosphonomethyl) glycine) is an herbicide developed in 1970 by Monsanto, who began developing GMO crops designed to withstand high doses of Roundup. Today, these seeds account for 94% of all soybeans and 89% of all corn being produced. The prevalence of these crops means that hundreds of millions of pounds of glyphosate are dumped onto the land every year.

“We decided to do this testing to see just how ubiquitous this toxin has become in our environment. We expected that trace amounts would show up in foods containing large amounts of corn and soy,” explained Gretchen DuBeau, executive and legal director of ANH-USA. “However, we were unprepared for just how invasive this poison has been to our entire food chain.”

This poison, recently named a probable carcinogen, or cancer-causing agent, by the World Health Organization (WHO), was detected in 10 of the 24 breakfast foods tested. Analysis revealed the presence of glyphosate in oatmeal, bagels, eggs- including the organic variety, potatoes and even non-GMO soy coffee creamer.

“Glyphosate has been linked to increases in levels of breast, thyroid, kidney, pancreatic, liver, and bladder cancers and is being served for breakfast, lunch and dinner around the world,” said DuBeau. “The fact that it is showing up in foods like eggs and coffee creamer, which don’t directly contact the herbicide, shows that it’s being passed on by animals who ingest it in their feed. This is contrary to everything that regulators and industry scientists have been telling the public.”

The presence of glyphosate in eggs and dairy supports the fear that the chemical is accumulating in the tissue of these animals, and therefore presumably also in human tissue, in a process called bioaccumulation.

Furthermore, testing for glyphosate alone does not even give us the full picture. The amounts detected by the ELISA test for glyphosate do not include any analogs of glyphosate, such as N-Acetylglyphosate, which is used by DuPont in its GMO formulations. These analogs may also be present in food and would add to the amount of glyphosate accumulated in human tissue. Glyphosate and its analogs are known endocrine disrupters for humans.

Clearly Americans are consuming glyphosate daily. The true safety of this chemical, just last year identified as a probably carcinogen by the WHO, is unknown. Current EPA standards have not been rigorously tested for all foods and all age groups. Evidence linking glyphosate with the increased incidence of a host of cancers is reason for immediate reevaluation by the EPA and FDA.

My wife and I are organic farmers and we have been saying for years that roundup is a terrible chemical, the residue has even been found in grass in a field in northern Maine, there is some scientific beliefs that glyphosate(roudup) is being picked up through evaporation and carried by the rain to new locations. I believe we have issues with it here in the EUP, so many sick trees, our hay fields have not produced like they used to in quite some time, wish I had a way to test our rain water for it, any ideas?

Farmer Brown

ANH-­-USA’s  testing  found  that  ten  of  our  sample  foods  or  ingredients  contained  detectable  levels

of  glyphosate.

Instant  Oatmeal  Strawberries  &  Cream   1,327.1

Whole  Wheat  Bagels   491.9

Organic  Multibagels    151.5

Whole  Grain  Bread:  whole  wheat   403.0

Organic  Killer  Whole  Wheat  Bread   136.4

Hot  Cereal  Whole  Grain    260.6

Large  Eggs    102

Organic  Cage  Free  Antibiotic  Free  Large  Eggs   169

Organic  Coffee  Creamer    104

Organic  Soy  Creamer  Non  GMO    86

this is yet another reason i cut all processed foods from my diet.

looks like eggs are next.

and soy sauce.

forgot link:

http://www.anh-usa.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/ANHUSA-glyphosate-breakfast-study-FINAL.pdf

How much did you struggle to cut out processed food?

Did you switch to a whole food plant based diet?

I recently watched forks over knives and it changed my way of thinking in a big way...I am Very close to implementing a whole food plant based diet but am struggling with the change.

First thing I cut out was fast food... thats not easy when my schedule makes cooking challenging...but it is the first and most productive way for me to start...

I only have fast food once a month now and it's usually breakfast...

difficult. i think its better if you come up with a big list of recipes and dishes/drinks you can make easily. that way when you are hungry you arent reaching for that snickers but instead eat something else.

yeah i cut out meat from my diet too. it was difficult.

probably need to find a gravy replacement too.

heres what i try to eat each day

salad

banana +fruit +kale/spinach +ice +water + blender = green smoothie

baked or mashed potatoes

bowl of popcorn

raw carrot/celery etc

plus what ever else for dinner. vegetarian spaghetti (which i still use canned tomatoes)

i stopped going to grocery stores. i stick to produce stores where they dont sell as much processed foods.

that helps with impulse buys.

also making large meals in advance and freezing them in 1 portion servings is probably a good idea. that way when hungry you can just heat it up and eat- and it wont make you cook more often, just smarter.

then incorporate other time saving ideas into cooking, like cooking two meals at once (if you are using the oven). that way you have tonights dinner and tomorrows already cooked. just refridgerate and heat up next day. or prepare two dinners at once, then cook whenever. you're already cutting meats and vegetables anyway...

so that gives you more time... i'm not sure why everyone does not do this.

its really hard to cut out canned vegetables for me. otherwise i have to go produce store every week. or wait until green beans in garden show up.

it was so difficult for my family we decided to move to an area where we could produce what we needed, or as much as possible. If its packed in a crunchy bag we dont eat it. if it can grow i dirt, it is. We raise our own chickens, a hundred a year sometimes, and keep a dozen or so full time for colored eggs year round. They are free range, but winter feed corn is half the price as non gmo corn for thought. In the end, chickens cost us near 14 dollars per in the freezer.

the real cost of food is not represented honestly. It costs farmers more than what we pay to bring a head of cattle to our tables. the whole deal is fanagled to make others rich, while some starve. run, run as fast as you can, north near water is always where i've been drawn. lately south with beaches is what I think of though....

Off the azz of a beast, plucked from the earth, pulled from a tree, snipped from a branch and drunk from a spring, thats it, and its still not enough !   Toxins are everywhere, dirt, sky, water, earth....good luck.

difficult. i think its better if you come up with a big list of recipes and dishes/drinks you can make easily. that way when you are hungry you arent reaching for that snickers but instead eat something else.

yeah i cut out meat from my diet too. it was difficult.

probably need to find a gravy replacement too.

heres what i try to eat each day

salad

banana +fruit +kale/spinach +ice +water + blender = green smoothie

baked or mashed potatoes

bowl of popcorn

raw carrot/celery etc

plus what ever else for dinner. vegetarian spaghetti (which i still use canned tomatoes)

i stopped going to grocery stores. i stick to produce stores where they dont sell as much processed foods.

that helps with impulse buys.

also making large meals in advance and freezing them in 1 portion servings is probably a good idea. that way when hungry you can just heat it up and eat- and it wont make you cook more often, just smarter.

then incorporate other time saving ideas into cooking, like cooking two meals at once (if you are using the oven). that way you have tonights dinner and tomorrows already cooked. just refridgerate and heat up next day. or prepare two dinners at once, then cook whenever. you're already cutting meats and vegetables anyway...

so that gives you more time... i'm not sure why everyone does not do this.

its really hard to cut out canned vegetables for me. otherwise i have to go produce store every week. or wait until green beans in garden show up.

I have also cut at least 80% of my processed foods and I agree... it is not easy.

I am not a finicky eater so that is not the issue, I actually love green veggies :)

I plan time on shopping day to also do my prep work.  I wash all my fresh fruits/ veggies/ berries in water/ vinegar to kill mold

then package for storage.  I purchase very few canned foods and have discovered that canned tomatoes are not so healthy :(

I love toms so, I will be re-learning canning this fall.  I purchase fresh frozen veggies in the off season currently but plan to do

some seasonal freezing this year.

http://localfoods.about.com/od/searchbyregion/a/michiganseasons.htm

I have begun to eat locally grown meats too.  They are the best source (along w/ fish) for Omega 3 and B12

There are many places now that you can order online.  These are just some I discovered while researching:

http://www.midmichiganmeats.com/

http://www.eatwild.com/products/michigan.html

https://sevensons.net/store

http://www.farmerspal.com/

http://www.farmerspal.com/

I use more natural herbs and spices now and lemon juice for my salads.  Lemon juice (fresh squeezed) has become an essential

in my kitchen.  I squeeze them all then freeze some of the juice in ice cube trays. 

I eat coconut oil every day.  My 'breakfast' is 'power coffee' where I add a big spoon of c'nut oil and grass fed no salt butter.

I do this to give my body energy in the a.m. as I fight my nearly 25 year addiction to sweet coffee creamer.  Creamer is my

nemesis.

Cooking larger meals and storing them is a time saver for sure and it helps me not want to reach for that 'snickers'.

Eating whole foods... eating healthier w/ out processed foods isn't for everyone as it requires planning and more physical work.

My cravings are sugar.  Processed foods are chocked w/ hidden sugars and my body or mind still craves them badly at times.

I know I cannot avoid all toxins/ gmo's but I can eliminate the greater % of them by being diligent.

Also... it is much more expensive to eat this way.  I am now much more conscientious as to what I put in my body.

I found that over time, I actually eat less too because the foods I choose have more nutrients, so there's that.

I do not limit myself when there is an event like a bbq or w/e... I let myself indulge on these occasions guilt free :)

Another horrible aspect to eating processed foods is the amount of Omega 6 that is consumed.

We need to consume EFA's at about a 1:1 / 2:1 ratio of 6 to 3, processed foods are loaded w/ Omega 6.

Local farmers markets will be starting up soon and I find these a great source of fresh picked foods + I can help

in my small way to support local.  I did find that some farmers still use dangerous pesticides and chemicals to

feed.  Ask the farmer what style they grow... you may be surprised.

I will say I do feel so much better both physically and spiritually (morally?) due to this change (sticking it to 'the man"?). 

My BP has naturally dropped to a safe range and I have avoided pharma's for that.

It's work for sure but is worth it.

Best of luck mibrains and anyone/ everyone who plans a whole foods dietary change.

My best advise... go slow.

OH... I eat my fan leaves (hey, greens is greens ;) )... not in smoothies... I add them to recipes. 

Sometimes I sweat them w/ onions/ peppers/ garlic and add eggs... yumm.

We grow gardens, can and freeze food, raise our own beef( all grass fed), raise our own meat chickens, have laying hens for eggs, get milk,cream and unsalted butter from our friends with jersey cows( all grass fed), get fish from the local fisherman( I know fish have toxins, we do not eat it a lot).We do not buy much of anything from the store,paper,cleaning stuff is about it. What little food we do buy we get most of it from the health food store.Can't live without my coffee though, I buy Jim's organic colombian,mmmm!! Nothing like a cup of good coffee with some fresh raw heavy cream in it :>)

we wanted so bad to raise our beef, but we got a late start. Now the task seems daunting for two people. I do raise our own fish(tilapia), a duck or two, some pigeons occasionally(squab, yummy, fit for kings), and rabbits of course. We call them free range too, they eat our collected lawn clippings, babies finish off the nipple, and get our apples/carrots/herbs as an internal marinade, and to the freezer.

Our butcher gets meat from two different farms, one grass fed and one grain/corn. I scoop up the grass fed monthly as needed. Amish(gosh I want to live with them for a few weeks someday, wonder if they sell day passes??lol)  give us cheese, and stuck buying organic milk from the market. we're afraid of city water, meijer meats, walmart cults, fast food, eating out, product labeling practices. the main ingredient in many foods today is SAND, the other is SOAP/WAX!  They package it like potassium silicate, hydrogenated soy oil, etc. We avoid ingredient crimes, most packaged foods and we avoid all but the outside aisles, when we have to visit.... I feel like a target when shopping for food stuff. every package is designed to cause disease and illness. Many ingredients are the precursors for prescription drugs. Geesh, seems strange to me that the FDA employs many X food company employees, big pharma ones too.....go figure, under the same roof...Food and Drugs, Administration...yep, together they win.  

I applaud you and your family for setting the example for those looking.

I love buying from amish!  they dont fert anything!  I often wish I could live amongst them,  but im to addicted to many things in life lol!  I dont know how I would sleep w/o my t.v on, I only listen, I can be sound asleep and if we have a power outage in the middle of the nite, im awake as soon as that t.v goes off lol,  Its kinda like people who have to have fans, I have friends and family that take a fan with them every where they go for a nite or two!

I have done the atkins diet,,,,,,well not realy but I wieghed in at 278 lbs around 10 yrs ago, my dr. wrote me an rx for glufalodge (spelling) she said I was pre diabetic, I ripped up the rx and went on a diet like now, I lost a bunch of weight just eating meat, I ate all meat and as much as I wanted, I had a salad now and then, but I went down to 165 lb's,  that was to small for me at 6' tall, so I slowly put back on a few, I now weigh like 185 most of the yr lol, I have to force myself out of my lazy boy in the winter to go for a walk, I was doing alot of walking at walmarts this last winter, (I dont walk like the older people do lol) I just check stuff out, I usualy wind up helping people with items when they cant get an associate, I felt the need to stop going, I was afraid they were going to fire me lol, and I didnt even work their......I bet in the times I was in the store I helped more people than the workers did lol!

Peace

One nice thing about cutting out processed foods is that you can skip most of the aisles in the grocery store. Cuts down on shopping time, you can just shop the perimeter of the store.

Check out Aldi if there is one near you. They are shifting more to organic and other responsible foods. They have made some good decisions that keep prices low. Often, their milk and fresh fruits and vegetables are about half the price of the big chain stores. When pineapples are $4 at Kroger I find them at Aldi for about $1.50 and a pint of grape tomatoes will be $3.99 at Kroeger and $1.79 at Aldi. They also often have quality meat marked 50% off. I buy it all when it see it discounted and just freeze it.

The Aldi near me is real ghetto. They rarely have anything I want. Mostly canned goods and some frozen stuff.

Although I've been to others that had a great selection and even fresh produce. I understand they are going all organic and are now competing with Whole Foods,

Edited by Wild Bill

Check out Aldi if there is one near you. They are shifting more to organic and other responsible foods. They have made some good decisions that keep prices low. Often, their milk and fresh fruits and vegetables are about half the price of the big chain stores. When pineapples are $4 at Kroger I find them at Aldi for about $1.50 and a pint of grape tomatoes will be $3.99 at Kroeger and $1.79 at Aldi. They also often have quality meat marked 50% off. I buy it all when it see it discounted and just freeze it.

we buy our steaks at save a lot, man and it has been so resonably priced and I almost gave up on steak, every time I buy a steak that looks like it is supposed to, I can even chew it, its like shoe leather, I cant do that, its a real bit ch eating a tuff steak with dentures lol!

Heck everything at save a lot is cheaper than any other big box store, yes I have been to aldi's, I beleive pinconning has one, some where in that area has one.  I used to actualy buy every thing but meat from save a lot, im realy glad I tried their porter house steaks!

Peace

And then... there's this:

http://www.freep.com/story/news/2016/05/03/fbi-grocery-bandit-caught-sprayed-mice-poison-food/83894146/

Suspect allegedly hit stores in Ann Arbor

In a potential food poisoning scare,  the FBI says it has arrested a man suspected of contaminating produce at open food bars at several 

Ann Arbor-area grocery stores with a liquid spray containing mice poison, hand cleaner and water.

State health officials say no one has yet reported getting sick from the potentially contaminated food, and it is not yet known if there is any

threat to the public. But they are recommending that consumers throw out any salad bar, hot bar and ready-to-eat items that were purchased

at potentially affected stores in Ann Arbor, Saline, Midland and Birch Run.

According to the FBI, the suspect is linked to possible contamination at open food bars over the last two weeks at the following three stores:

• Whole Foods Market on 990 W. Eisenhower Parkway.

• Meijer, 3145 Ann Arbor-Saline Road.

• Plum Market, 375 North Maple Road.

Based on the FBI investigation, state health officials say there's the potential that other stores in Michigan may also have been targeted.

These stores include:

• Busch's, 2240 S. Main Street, Ann Arbor
  • Cupcake Station, 116 E. Liberty, Ann Arbor
  • Family Fare, 2026 N. Saginaw, Midland
  • Kroger, 3838 Richfield Road, Flint
  • Meijer, #108, 7300 Eastman Ave, Midland  
  • Meijer, #213, 9515 Birch Run Rd, Birch Run
  • Millers Mini Mart, 3001 Bay City Road, Midland  
  • Target, 2000 Waters Road, Ann Arbor
  • Tsai Grocery, 3115 Oak Valley Drive, Ann Arbor
  • Walmart, 910 Joe Mann Blvd., Midland
  • Walmart, 7000 E. Michigan Ave., Saline  
  • Whole Foods, 3135 Washtenaw Ave., Ann Arbor

According to Detroit's FBI Chief David P. Gelios, the suspect was identified and taken into custody Tuesday following tips from the public.

The FBI has not named the suspect, saying only that he has admitted  to using a potentially hazardous material to contaminate food in

several Ann Arbor area grocery stores, and that he sprayed the produce within the last two weeks.

The FBI said the suspect visited several other grocery stores in the Ann Arbor area in the last few months and the investigation is ongoing

in order to determine if any other stores were targeted.

The U.S. Attorneys office said it is currently reviewing the case. No charges have yet been filed.

The investigation has prompted the the Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development to issue a public advisory, urging consumers

to throw away any potentially contaminated food. State health officials said based on what they know about the ingredients in the mixture at this time,

they do not anticipate any adverse health effects on individuals who may have eaten the potentially contaminated products.

But additional food samples have been collected for further testing. And until more is known, health officials are urging the public to be careful.

"Out of an abundance of caution and to protect public health and food safety, I encourage consumers to dispose of any foods purchased from salad bars,

olive bars and ready-to-eat hot and cold food areas from these stores between mid-March and the end of April," said Jamie Clover Adams, MDARD director. "Although most of these types of foods may have already been eaten or disposed of, some may still be in refrigerators or freezers."

"While the risk for adverse health effects appears to be low, more investigation is being done to determine what level of exposure may have occurred,"

said Dr. Eden Wells, chief medical executive for the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services.

If you have any health concerns, contact your health care provider or call Michigan Poison Control at 800-222-1222 with questions.

Just another reason to always wash your produce!

While Oats are not nor is it believed they will ever be GMO, glyphosate has been discovered in "100% natural" oats.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/02/business/quaker-oats-100-natural-claim-questioned-in-lawsuit.html?_r=0

Quaker Oats’ 100% Natural Claim Questioned in Lawsuit

A lawsuit seeking to be certified as a class action has been filed on behalf of consumers in New York and California against the owner of Quaker Oats

after testing found traces of the pesticide glyphosate in some oatmeal.

While the level of glyphosate, the active ingredient in the popular weed killer Roundup, detected in the oatmeal falls well below the limit set by federal

regulators for human consumption, the lawsuit accuses Quaker of false advertising because it markets the oatmeal as “100% natural.”

Quaker, which is owned by PepsiCo, says on its website that the oats used in its products are grown in an environmentally responsible way.

“Since oats require less herbicide spray than many other grains, there is less risk of pollutants and groundwater contamination,” it says.

The lawsuit, filed in Federal District Courts in New York and California, contends that such statements are false and misleading. “There is nothing

unlawful about Quaker Oats’ growing and processing methods,” the suit says. “What is unlawful is Quaker’s claim that Quaker Oats is something

that it is not in order to capitalize on growing consumer demand for healthful, natural products.”

In a statement, the Quaker Oats Company said that it did not add glyphosate during any part of the milling process but that it might be applied by

farmers to certain grains before harvest.

The company said it puts the oats it receives through a cleansing process. “Any levels of glyphosate that may remain are trace amounts and significantly

below any limits which have been set by the E.P.A. as safe for human consumption,” the company said.

A test paid for by lawyers for the plaintiffs, the Richman Law Group, found glyphosate at a level of 1.18 parts per million in a sample of Quaker Oats Quick 1-Minute. This is roughly 4 percent of the 30 parts per million that the Environmental Protection Agency allows in cereal grains.

An independent lab in California did the testing, using liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry, a technique widely used by medical and chemical labs and pharmaceutical research.

Although testing was done only on Quick 1-Minute, the lawsuit also makes claims against Quaker Oats Old-Fashioned and Quaker Steel Cut Oats.

Glyphosate is one of the most widely used pesticides around the world. The Monsanto Company began selling the pesticide in the 1970s. But it was the introduction of genetically engineered crops two decades later that fueled the sharp increase in the use of the pesticide. Those crops now account for

most of the corn, soy, sugar beets and canola grown in the United States.

Glyphosate also is widely used in home gardens, on golf courses and other places.

Last year, the World Health Organization classified glyphosate as a "probable" carcinogen. Since then, environmental and consumer groups have begun

to focus their efforts on the pesticide, and a growing number of reports on glyphosate in food have surfaced.

Earlier this year, the Food and Drug Administration said it planned to begin testing some foods for glyphosate.

The biotech industry and food companies contend that the levels of glyphosate found in products fall well below limits set by government officials.

The European Union sets the average daily level of intake for glyphosate at 0.3 milligrams per kilogram, while the Environmental Protection Agency

sets it at 1.75 milligrams per kilogram daily.

Kim Richman, the lead lawyer of the firm representing the plaintiffs, said the amount of glyphosate was not the issue. “The issue is that Quaker advertises

these products as 100 percent natural, and glyphosate in any amount is not natural,” he said.

Oats are not a genetically engineered crop. But glyphosate is increasingly being used as a “dessicant” to dry out crops to speed harvesting.

The lawsuit was filed over the weekend in New York and California, and, Mr. Richman said, would be filed in other states this week.

The plaintiffs are seeking refunds for purchasers. They also are asking that PepsiCo either be required to reformulate the products or disclose the presence

of glyphosate in them.

Correction: May 3, 2016

Because of an editing error, an article on Monday about a lawsuit against the owner of Quaker Oats after testing found traces of the pesticide glyphosate

in some oatmeal omitted the given name of the lead plaintiffs’ lawyer. He is Kim Richman of the Richman Law Group.

Aldi stores have come a long way towards stocking healthier foods.

Recently they stopped carrying products w/ msg and a few other questionable additives.

They have a larger selection of organic produce. 

Also they are incorporating many more ethnic selections.

These are only a couple of the positive changes they are making... go Aldi.

--

A 'word' about "cheap meat"... it is that cheap for a reason and that reason is most often not a good one.

Most of that meat has been fed grains, pumped full of hormones and antibiotics...

Just a little 'food' for thought ;)