Water Chiller

pergamum362

What water chillers are people here currently using? Im looking to optimize my modular systems(flood &drain), currently have 3 55 gallon reseviors, might add a fourth. While i have not had any problems thus far, is is getting warmer and my rez's are getting up there in temps after about 2 days. i know they say you typically dont need a chiller for flood and drain but i like optimizinf things. Any input? Ive only been using the flood and drains for about 9 months, i started sept of last year, so i didnt see it get this warm while running them.

I think that's overkill.  If anything, you might wear out your chillers faster because they will turn on and off more often than necessary since their output far exceeds what you'd need to keep150 gallons cool.  And I would agree that, since it's flood and drain, keeping your temps down isn't that important (but it will make it harder for some sort of pathogen to grow in the rez, so that's one benefit).

Ive settled on 1/4 hp chillers, i thought about doing ice boxes etc, but im just gona run with the mitsibishi. Should be installed next weekend.

Most cost effective choice. Save several thousand going that route. 1/4 hp chiller handled an old 12 site RDWC I ran easily, like 70 gallons with pump running all the time. Used to run it at like 66-68 degrees if I remember correctly. Roots were always nice and bright white. Getting over 70 and your looking at pythium, especially with the summer coming up. Would suck to lose your crop to root rot.

• 4 weeks later...