Surprise Urine Screen At Doctors Office...

so I go to see my doctor for my quarterly med review and they surprised me with a urine screen???

I have been upfront with her and she knows that I have my mmj card and that I use mj to relieve muscle spasms resulting from a car accident I was in when I was in my teens

so of course I test positive for mj

and they tell me that I have to stop using mj or they would no longer prescribe the xanax I have been taking for over 15 years for anxiety...

so now anxiety meds are treated the same as opiates and other pain killers???

of course I told them that I would no longer use the mj (yea right)

so now I have to carry a synthetic urine kit everytime I go to see the doctor...

what a bunch of crap...

needless to say I will be looking for a new doctor who is mj friendly...

although I will enjoy using the synthetic urine and laughing as I walk out of the office knowing I scamed their moo poo policy :-)

so I go to see my doctor for my quarterly med review and they surprised me with a urine screen???

I have been upfront with her and she knows that I have my mmj card and that I use mj to relieve muscle spasms resulting from a car accident I was in when I was in my teens

so of course I test positive for mj

and they tell me that I have to stop using mj or they would no longer prescribe the xanax I have been taking for over 15 years for anxiety...

so now anxiety meds are treated the same as opiates and other pain killers???

of course I told them that I would no longer use the mj (yea right)

so now I have to carry a synthetic urine kit everytime I go to see the doctor...

what a bunch of crap...

needless to say I will be looking for a new doctor who is mj friendly...

although I will enjoy using the synthetic urine and laughing as I walk out of the office knowing I scamed their moo poo policy :-)

Welcome to my world!  How long have you been an mm pt?  I lost count how many times dr.'s quit me for mm!

Peace

I learned that NY state has a slight twist on this cannabis testing.  Now that they have a medical cannabis program in NY, they changed their rules to say that a patient can be on both opiates and cannabis medicine as long as the same doctor has prescribed/recommended BOTH. 

I dont like that law.

Man that would create havick in MI.........shhhh dont even talk lilke that!

Peace

The NY Medical Cannabis law allows the Federal DEA to indirectly control the state cannabis program.  Consider that the DEA controls who can get or keep their controlled substances prescribing license.  Pain Management doctors could easily hamstring their careers if they ran afoul of the DEA. 

Knowing that their ability to prescribe opiate pain medicine hangs in the balance, very few NY doctors have opted to participate in the state medical cannabis program.

yea it was a straight setup

the nurse specifically asked me when had I last taken my meds because the xanax is water soluble and doesn't stay in your system very long

the doctor has a personal adgenda when it comes to xanax

she has tried for over a year to get me to use other meds and I played her game and took multiple antidepressant and SSRI meds and none of them helped and all of them had bad side effects

being that the xanax are prescribed PRN (take as needed) I don't HAVE to have them in my system but I do take a blood pressure pill and Flexeril daily that should probably be in my system...(thanks for the insight Mpharns)

do those meds show up on the urine screen?

yea I'm simply going to have to find another doc who is mj friendly who will take my insurance

just a hassle...

thanks for the input folks

if anyone knows a mj friendly doc in Midland please let me know :-)

KF

thanks imiubu

like I said I'm not trying to be sexist... but I seem to get along better with male docs and feel I can be straightforward with them without the experience of someone "mothering" me

In my limited personal experience women are often natural caregivers and want to "save you from yourself"

everyones body chemistry is unique and although I know xanax isn't for everyone, it works wonders for my condition

and it took me years of "try this, ok try that..." to figure this out

after trying multiple meds that didn't help I found that xanax works for my condition with limited side effects and addresses my anxiety as well as my insomnia and I feel it works well with my muscle relaxer to make me more comfortable altogether

I don't want to get into a male/female doc argument, it's simply personal experience (obviously before now I have been open and had 2 female doctors in the last few years ;-)

I know I will get this situation taken care of without much effort until I find a new doc...

KF

thanks imiubu

like I said I'm not trying to be sexist... but I seem to get along better with male docs and feel I can be straightforward with them without the experience of someone "mothering" me

In my limited personal experience women are often natural caregivers and want to "save you from yourself"

everyones body chemistry is unique and although I know xanax isn't for everyone, it works wonders for my condition

and it took me years of "try this, ok try that..." to figure this out

after trying multiple meds that didn't help I found that xanax works for my condition with limited side effects and addresses my anxiety as well as my insomnia and I feel it works well with my muscle relaxer to make me more comfortable altogether

I don't want to get into a male/female doc argument, it's simply personal experience (obviously before now I have been open and had 2 female doctors in the last few years ;-)

I know I will get this situation taken care of without much effort until I find a new doc...

KF

I was on xanax for over 12 yrs!  I unfortunatly found myself in trouble and had to go to county jail for 8 days!

They wouldnt ween me or give me anything to help with withdraw, I only remember the first 3 days, after that it is a blurr, I woke up in I.C.U after my 8th day,  My lady came and got me (i dont remember it) she called an ambulance within 15 minutes of picking me up from the jail, and my dr. said I should have died!

xanax may work for you. but if  you get cut off you could die from them, They are one of the worst meds to cold turkey off of!

Peace

I was on xanax for over 12 yrs!  I unfortunatly found myself in trouble and had to go to county jail for 8 days!

They wouldnt ween me or give me anything to help with withdraw, I only remember the first 3 days, after that it is a blurr, I woke up in I.C.U after my 8th day,  My lady came and got me (i dont remember it) she called an ambulance within 15 minutes of picking me up from the jail, and my dr. said I should have died!

xanax may work for you. but if  you get cut off you could die from them, They are one of the worst meds to cold turkey off of!

Peace

I have been in a similar situation where I was unable to get my meds for an extended period of time as well and the 1st couple of days were uncomfortable but I was ok after that

I also do a yearly 'clean out my system' and don't take any meds for a week and my body seems to handle it fine

although my anxiety level goes right back to 'spaz'and I am more prone to panic attacks

I know others who have had reactions more like you are talking about and one who believes that he is permantly damaged from xanax withdraw

I've also read that going cold turkey can give some people a stroke

so I try to stick with 1/2 a dose as needed and often skip it altogether especially when I'm drinking alcohol

I've also found some strains of mj that seem to address my anxiety and mj edibles are a great substitute

but if I don't have it available when I need it for a panic attack it sucks

even though it is the most prescribed anxiety med in the world, I know it isn't for everyone

I just think it's nonsense that the doc is using the fact that I use mj as a reason to stop prescribing them

KF

I have been in a similar situation where I was unable to get my meds for an extended period of time as well and the 1st couple of days were uncomfortable but I was ok after that

I also do a yearly 'clean out my system' and don't take any meds for a week and my body seems to handle it fine

although my anxiety level goes right back to 'spaz'and I am more prone to panic attacks

I know others who have had reactions more like you are talking about and one who believes that he is permantly damaged from xanax withdraw

I've also read that going cold turkey can give some people a stroke

so I try to stick with 1/2 a dose as needed and often skip it altogether especially when I'm drinking alcohol

I've also found some strains of mj that seem to address my anxiety and mj edibles are a great substitute

but if I don't have it available when I need it for a panic attack it sucks

even though it is the most prescribed anxiety med in the world, I know it isn't for everyone

I just think it's nonsense that the doc is using the fact that I use mj as a reason to stop prescribing them

KF

You may find this funny!  I beleive I was permanantly damaged also!

I used to dj and karaoke host!  I used to sing well over 200 songs, I have won host's contests and trips, My voice got all screwed up, all I can figure is I was doing alot of yelling and screaming, I have memory's of being moved from cell to cell because I was very much creating havoc in the cells I was put in, I only remember weird things, it seems like dreams, I honestly still dont know what happened or what I did while in jail!

I no longer can sing, my voice is not the same, It dont sound the same when I talk either!  oh well it realy wasnt the best thing for me to be doing for extra cash, it is not good for relationships when you are the entertainment in a bar, I got all of the attn because I was in control of the music lol, and man women can be cruel, when my lady wasnt there It was pretty much normal, but when she came to help or watch, women would come up and flirt,  they would say stuff like what song are you going to play for me tonite sexy right in front of her lol!

When I was doing that if I saw a table of women having a good time, and most were getting asked to dance by men in the bar, I would always go ask the one that never got asked to dance, I had cordless mic's and remotes, I was there to entertain and make people feel good,  I never acted any different when my lady was there or not!  but the lady's in the audience acted differently lol!

Peace

It is nonsense, kindfolk. I doubt he believes that marijuana is a medical substitute for Xanax.

Do you happen to know his rationale for denying one for the other? Perhaps if it is based on bad science somebody on the site could help assist in finding supportive literature that you can bring to him.

I believe it is based on bad science, bad policy, and the big pharms influence

I could very well be wrong, but I don't believe it was profiling (I have long hair and a beard)

I was simply treated like an opiate user

they handed me a clipboard as soon as I was weighed in and had my blood pressure taken and had me fill out an 'agreement' with 20 or so stipulations about keeping my meds locked up, not sharing them with others etc.

so I believe it is a new policy in this particular health network

I dont necessarily think it would make a difference, but I would love to show up at my next visit with suportive literature based on science contradicting their policy :-)

funny thing...the girl who schedules appointments has me down for a morning visit on labor day LOL

I'm pretty sure they are not open on a holiday and the clinic is so busy that the soonest I can ever get an appointment is usually a couple of months out...so I will have more time to find another doctor and my current one will have to have call in my prescriptions in the interim :-)

that should also give me plenty of time to gather the supportive literature :-)

KF