Couple Arrested In Drug Operation

bobandtorey

FRASER/TROY — On June 15, the Fraser Special Investigation Unit executed search warrants in Troy and Sterling Heights that were related to alleged marijuana trafficking.

The warrants resulted in the arrests of Troy residents Eric Layne Berg, 35, and Angie Wong, 30. Approximately 105 pounds of packaged marijuana — valued at about $231,000 — and $116,000 in currency were confiscated.

Wong was arrested not for the marijuana, but for reportedly possessing Hydrocodone pills.

Fraser Department of Public Safety Director George Rouhib said the investigation was initiated about three months ago, when Fraser officers reportedly obtained narcotic intelligence on Berg. Officers were later able to identify Berg’s whereabouts in Troy, where the money was allegedly located. Several boxes of compressed marijuana was allegedly stored in a storage unit in Sterling Heights.

Sterling Heights was involved in the investigation for purpose of jurisdiction, in terms of the search warrants and the storage facility.

“Our drug guys get information from just about anywhere, and they just follow up,” Rouhib said. “That’s just common practice: We go where our information takes us.”

Rouhib and others involved in the investigation believe the marijuana is from out of state. The sealed and compressed marijuana is estimated to be worth $2,200 a pound. It’s suspected that the same marijuana is being sold to people across the metro Detroit area.

This is Berg’s third marijuana-related arrest. He has previously been convicted twice within the past five years for delivery of marijuana.

He was charged with the delivery or manufacturing of 5 to 45 kilograms of marijuana, which could carry a seven-year felony charge. His bond was set at $75,000, which included a GPS tether.

However, his history may impact the judge’s ruling.

“The seven-year felony could be doubled depending on whether or not (the court) elects (Berg) as a habitual offender,” Rouhib said.

Wong, Berg’s girlfriend, reportedly had Hydrocodone pills in the apartment where the arrest took place. Rouhib said there was not enough evidence to include her in the marijuana-related charges.

She was charged with possession of Hydrocodone, which carries a possible two-year felony charge. Her bond was set at $15,000.

Both suspects were arraigned June 17 in 52nd District Court, in Troy, in front of Magistrate Clement Waldman.

Berg is being represented by his attorney, Mitchell Ribitwer, who could not be reached at press time.

Wong did not have an attorney at her arraignment.

Both were scheduled for a probable cause hearing June 29, and preliminary exams are to take place July 6 at 52-4 District Court.

http://www.candgnews.com/news/couple-arrested-drug-operation-93989

It's not shocking when you see the statistics.

Percentage of Michiganders who smoke pot: 12.16

Estimated population of Michigan was 9,922,576 in 2015

12% of 10 million = roughly 1 million smokers.

Only 180,000 are registered patients.

The other 800,000 people who smoke pot have to get it from somewhere.

Edited by bax

I am shocked that with so many caregivers in MI,they're still bringing stuff from out of state.

It's been out of State from the start of things in Mich. 

Only for people that frequent dispensaries , aka , the "Tumbleweed Connection". 

Make mine Mich-i-grown  :))

I havent smoked or used comm mj in at least 15 yrs!  I dont even know any one that has it,  I have never spent a dime in a despense, I did purchase a few grams of dif strains at a farm market yrs ago, all of my stuff has been grown in MI or canada by friends for along time!

I have alot of friends who didnt go legit when the law was passed, one grower is still getting 320 and oz and only does biz with long, old time friends!  most could get legal and get better deals on the same quality or better smoke now, in the beginning not to many people could compete with the quality available to me at the time,  Im not even allowed in a grow I built 20 yrs ago becuase im legal lol!

I am realy happy I have a great c.g and I can be up and growing in a matter of a few days, all of my equip is moth balled for that reason, I wont sell any of my lights, fans, tents,etc,  I hope I dont ever need to break it out but if I do I can!

This arrest was totaly about the money, and it seems leo almost even got the street price pretty close to right!

Is this the type of person we support or do we say no one should go to jail for a plant?

Im just wondering, I think there is a big dif between some one who grows a plant or 2 and gets popped, and some one who has that amount packaged and cash at home!

personaly they did break the law, and now they have to pay the piper, if you do the crime be prepared to do the time!

I could be sitting right with him, I guess I got lucky and didnt get caught, now I just dont feel the need to break the law (to often, i like my medibles) and try and make a fortune off of mmj,,,,,,,,in my opinion them days have passed for the type of biz I did back in the commercial days!

MM is free In MI now didn't you all hear! :bong7bp:  :bong2:  :drinking-coffee:

Peace