Az Supreme Court: Smell Of Marijuana Justifies Search By Police

bobandtorey

The Arizona Supreme Court ruled Monday, July 11, that the smell of marijuana can still be the basis for a search warrant. 

This ruling upholds a trial judge's decision in a Tucson case to allow evidence from a search that was conducted after police smelled marijuana and obtained a search warrant. 

The decision does say, however, the search can be dispelled if police find out the suspected marijuana use or possession is authorized by the medical marijuana law. 

Michael Crawford, a Tucson attorney, said if voters approve the legalization of recreational use of marijuana in November, things could change. 

"If recreational use of marijuana is approved in November, I'm assuming there would be some case law, at  the court of appeals level that would set the record straight once and for all about the law is in the state of Arizona," Crawford said. 

Crawford said  based on the cases from Alaska and Massachusetts, which are cited in this decision, smelling marijuana would not justify a search by police if recreational use is legalized. 
It would be legal to have one ounce of marijuana. 

The executive director of Earth's Healing dispensary says this decision doesn't really have an effect on those with medical marijuana cards. 

"Anybody who possesses a medical marijuana card can be carrying up to an ounce in their possession. and it will be OK. As long as they're not caught smoking inside the vehicle," Vicky Puchi-Saavedra, executive director of Earth's Healing dispensary said. 

Florence Hijazi, marketing director of Earth's Healing dispensary in Tucson said, "As a State Licensed Medical marijuana dispensary we are not concerned with the ruling earlier today. It is illegal to possess marijuana in the state of Arizona unless you are a holder of an Arizona patient card. There are approximately 100,000 patients strong in our state." 

Two Arizona Court of Appeals panels issued contradictory rulings on the marijuana smell issue in the Tucson case and another case.

http://www.tucsonnewsnow.com/story/32420086/az-supreme-court-smell-of-marijuana-justifies-search-by-police

Legal or not, the states still have contracts with private prisons to supply them x amount of prisoners, lol they have to have someway to arrest people for marijuanna to keep them filled right?

yeah, and dont forget those lovely profits garnished by all their portfolio holders because of this policy right.

Wall Street scored with this one, get cannabis users to invest in a program that jails cannabis users...wooohooo, baby boomers, meh

Do you know somebody specifically who is a cannabis user and also invested in CXW or GEO?

The rest are privately held, to my knowledge.

More than 90% of the stock is held by institutional investors, one of the biggest being Vanguard. The rest is mostly held by executives of the company. If you have Vanguard mutual funds you should check them to make sure they are not invested in CXW or GEO. And watch them closely, because Vanguard likes these stocks, apparently.

I think it is bizarre that you call out cannabis users, specifically, for owning stock in private prisons, unless you have some specific information. If cannabis users hold this stock, it is likely unknowingly by way of investment in a mutual fund. This is something the vast, vast majority of naive investors fall prey to, whether they use cannabis or not. Who really knows what stocks their mutual fund managers buy and sell on a daily basis?

See links below for institutional holders of these stocks. If your bank or mutual fund manager is listed, it might be a good idea to check the prospectus of whichever fund you are invested in to make sure there is no CXW or GEO.

http://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/cxw/institutional-holdings

http://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/geo/institutional-holdings

While I'm sure there are many mutual fund companies who do not invest in private prisons, I can say for certain that American Funds owns not a whiff of either CXW or GEO.

While I would not call out cannabis users as the only investors in private prisons there are of course cannabis users who are invested, and those are obviously the cannabis users I speak to, the ones you call "This is something the vast, vast majority of naive investors fall prey to". Of course this does not in any way suggest that cannabis users are either the vast majority of naive investors or have fallen prey to anything any more or less than the total of naive investors.

Private prisons are sometimes classified as REIT-real estate investment trusts, or job creators, while whoring the labor of prisoners at a buck an hour for the show.

Credit cards hosted by banks that are heavily invested in private prisons, like Wells Fargo.  How many people, including but not singling out cannabis users utilize the Wells Fargo loans I wonder, using those cards supports those banks too. Bill Gates owns stock in BOTH of those prison complexes.Lots of public employee retirement systems are invested in both CCA and GEO Group. These prisons are not transparent and derive the majority of their revenue from government contracts paid with our tax money. Fidelity Investments and Vanguard are America's top 2 401k providers .  Look closely at a typical 401 theres a real good chance it is deriving income from the pp complex, via mutual funds, brokerage firms, and banks that invest in the pp complex.  Many Americans derive income form the PP complex, even when they consume cannabis I think.

Furthermore, shame on those who stand to fight against cannabis injustice while supporting the Private Prison Complex for the cash it pays out, directly or indirectly.

Nope, I hold no stocks, and when I did none were prison related. I do not derive income from the pp complex. And yep, I do know cannabis users who did not even know they were invested through their 401k until I pointed it out.

Edited by grassmatch

These 5 Everyday Companies Are Profiting from the Prison-Industrial Complex

by Canton Winer

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

iStock_000029081066_Large.cd6275ed.jpg

Picture a multi-billion dollar industry with corporate ties ranging from Boeing, Macy’s, Nintendo, Starbucks, and Victoria’s Secret.  Picture industry giants with sizeable strings to pull in Washington. Picture an industry where CEOs receive $5.7 million in executive compensation.

If you’re envisioning an investment bank on Wall Street, think again. Orange is the New Black is more on the right track.

Private prisons are a cash cow. Private companies rake in billions of dollars in revenue each year through the United States’ inmate population.

In fact, this trend is so widespread that it has its own term: the prison-industrial complex.

Critical Resistance, a national grassroots organization working to dismantle the prison-industrial complex, defines the complex quite elegantly:

“The prison industrial complex (PIC) is a term we use to describe the overlapping interests of government and industry that use surveillance, policing, and imprisonment as solutions to economic, social and political problems.”

Corporations can benefit from the prison-industrial complex in several ways. Many, including technology and food companies, do so through contract prison labor.

Starbucks, through subcontractor Signature Packaging Solutions, has hired Washington state prisoners to package holiday coffees. Sprint has used inmates in call centers. Inmates have sewn Victoria’s Secret products (including the “Made in USA tags).

Not only is this behavior completely legal, but it’s also quite easy and actually encouraged by government policy. Under the Work Opportunity Tax Credit (WOTC), employers receive a $2,400 tax credit for every work-release inmate they employ, as a reward for hiring “risky target groups.”

This process is called “insourcing,” and companies who participate in it are free to avoid paying for benefits such as health insurance or sick days, and don’t have to bother with pesky issues like unions, vacation requests, or flexible work requests.

More nefariously, some companies profit simply from the existence of prisons. These companies, such as The GEO Group (formerly Wackenhut) and Corrections Corporation of America (CCA), house and profit off of thousands of state and federal inmates.

GEO, as of 2010, contracts with 13 states, the Federal Bureau of Prison, the U.S. Marshals Service, and U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement. That same year, 66 percent ($842 million) of GEO’s revenue came from U.S. corrections contracts.

Private prison companies like GEO have little incentive to rehabilitate prisoners or work toward alleviating societal problems. In fact, it’s quite the opposite: private prison operations profit from society’s woes.

This has undoubtedly contributed to the country’s skyrocketing prison population. Put simply, more prisoners means more cash for private prison corporations.

In 1980, there were 319,598 people in federal or state prison. By 2013, that number had exploded to 1.57 million.

The private prison industry—and other members of the prison-industrial complex—have doggedly lobbied in D.C. and state capitals across the country for laws that increase the prison population under the guise of being “tough” on crime.

Many states have passed so-called “mandatory minimums,” which strip judges of the ability to determine the length of an offender’s sentence. These laws set an automatic minimum length for given sentences, guaranteeing lengthier prison terms and, thus, greater profits for companies in the prison-industrial complex.

Given the significant dollars at play, it should be no surprise that the prison-industrial complex is deeply entrenched. In fact, even the average worker inadvertently benefits from the prison-industrial complex. Vanguard Group and Fidelity Investments, the United States’ top two 401(k) providers, are enormous investors in the private prison industry. Together they own roughly 20 percent of GEO and CCA.

This problem may seem pervasive, and indeed, something needs to be done. It’s unfair to take advantage of prisoners simply because they’re behind bars—and unless the average person makes some noise about this problem, nothing will change.

http://groundswell.org/prison-industrial-complex/

Who has money to invest in stocks??? i just barely get by. If i invested in stock i wouldn't eat for a while... Dam we got a few rich folks, :)

some of us do..i now own 300 stocks of INSY. Not much but something. (I dont like to admit it, but i invested nearly 1300 over the course of a year into my warlock) Edited by pergamum362

people vs Brown is how Michigan Roll's 

Only in the Michigan’s Court of Kangaroos is busting into someone’s house, holding them at gunpoint and then stealing everything not included under ‘shall not be subject to penalty in any manner’ or ‘denied any right or privilege’. I think they skipped the part where they need evidence of a violation before searching, not after.

Cannabis consumers, regardless whether they are caregivers, patients or gray market recreationalists, have been, are, and continue to be the most demeaned, ostracized and most egregiously persecuted and prosecuted minority in the U.S. And the world. Bar none.

Not the poor. Not the blacks. Not the illegal immigrants. Not the Muslims.

Us.