Q&a With The Candidates In 39Th Dist State Legislature

bax

making whoopee Klint Kesto

http://www.spinalcolumnonline.com/news/2016-07-27/Front_Page/QA_with_the_candidates.html

2016-07-27 / Front Page

Tweet

Print

Q&A with the candidates

Ballot: Representative in State Legislature, 39th District

Candidates for contested races affecting western Oakland County residents were sent questionnaires from the Spinal Column Newsweekly ahead of the launch of our 2016 Voter Guide. Candidates’ responses – including spelling, grammar and facts – are their own. Candidates who chose not to participate are listed in italics. The Voter Guide features candidates’ responses to key questions about various issues and topics. Ballot language for proposals presented on the ballot are also included.

One two-year term. Vote for no more than ONE.

Republican ballot:

Klint Kesto (Incumbent)

Democratic ballot:

Mike Stack

Why do you believe you are the best person to represent Michigan’s 39th State House District? What differentiates you from the other candidate and why?

Kesto

Kesto: “Having served four years as the state representative for the 39th House District, I know how to best serve the interests of the citizens of Wixom, Commerce, West Bloomfield and Wolverine Lake. I bring to Lansing my experience as an assistant prosecutor in Wayne County, where I took pride in my job to protect the citizens of southeast Michigan. Being a small business owner, I work to implement policies that will allow businesses to thrive. My excellent professional relationship with county and municipal leaders gives me a strong connection to the district, allowing me to best serve my constituents.”

Stack: “I have lived in Wolverine Lake for nearly 30 years, during that time I have strived to give back to our community. In addition to serving 10 years on the Village Council, I am chairman of Lakes Area Youth Assistance, working with Walled Lake Schools to help at risk youth. I was self-employed for 28 years and currently work in sales and distribution, so I know how to help small businesses create the good-paying jobs we need. I believe I’m the best choice to advocate for the families, seniors and students of my community so we can find solutions and rebuild Michigan.”

Stack

Do you think Michigan should join other states such as Colorado

and Washington in legalizing small quantities of marijuana for individual use?

Kesto: “We must seriously think about the exposure of marijuana to our children when making decisions on this issue. Many issues have arisen with the implementation of the MMMP (Michigan Medical Marihuana Program) that must be resolved before we think about expanding the legal use of marijuana. I introduced and supported legislation that will clarify these issues and allow the MMMP to better serve the people of our state. We must continue to work to find answers to the serious problem of drugged driving, and as chair of the Committee on Judiciary, I supported bills seeking to establish impairment limits to make our roads safer.”

Stack: “These laws are relatively new, so I’d like to know more about the effect they have on those states. I stand behind the will of the Michigan voters who overwhelmingly supported the Michigan Medical Marihuana Act in 2008, and should the voters choose to legalize recreational marijuana, I will work with my colleagues to ensure that public safety remains high before considering a change in drug policy.”

What is your position on concealed weapons in schools? Would you support legislation to allow open carry or concealed weapons in schools?

Kesto: “The safety of our children is of the utmost importance. As an avid defender of the Second Amendment, we must balance our rights with ensuring the security of our youth. Only those with extensive training in the usage of firearms should be allowed to carry pistols in schools. We should also implement policies that provide more protection and security for children and teachers in schools. However, many of the other gun free zones should be abolished, and we should allow law-abiding citizens to protect themselves instead of creating areas that make people more vulnerable.”

Stack: “I support the right to own firearms, but children and guns don’t mix. I believe our schools should stay gun-free.”

What is your position on using tax reduction incentives to attract new business to Michigan?

Kesto: “My family owns a small business, so we have seen first-hand how taxes and burdensome regulations can have a negative effect on those individuals working hard to make a living. I have, and will continue, to work to implement policies that will allow businesses to grow and create jobs and keep taxpayers’ hard earned money in their pockets. Tax reduction is an incentive that helps business, but it should be applied fairly to all Michigan businesses instead of being a tool for our state government to favor one business over another.”

Stack: “Any tax credits for corporations must be tied to job creation, and if the promised jobs don’t materialize, the state should recoup that money.”

Edited by bax