Pruning Flowering Plants

Highlander

I'm looking for some feedback on pruning during the flower cycle.

For years I have done the same thing. After buds show, I trim a little off the top to even out the canopy. Then I trim every stem that has a a bud site lower than about 18" from the top of the plant.

Recently I decided to let one flower with no pruning at all. I think the yield was increased significantly, but most of that yield is in the form of popcorn. It's a terrible PITA to trim. I hung it upside down and occasionally pluck off a few buds. At this rate, I'll be at it a year. I'm tempted just to compost the rest.

I top in veg, for a four cola experience. I dont top in flower. The day she moves to the flower room

I trim up, or lollipop, everything but the top four/eight nodes and their fans. While in flower all pita gets skirted

below 18 inch(my acceptable par light range)  I have no need for the popcorn, it crowds my soil top area, restricts air movement

gathers dirt splash, attracts pests, and is a real bummer to toss in the compost at harvest. Easier for me to never see it.

I generally top after 5 or 6 sets of true leaves. I'll LST and do light pruning along the way and do my main pruning a couple of days before going into flower. It's all about shaping the plant so that I get 4-6main colas.

I do a final light pruning - suckers, lower popcorn nugs, crispy leaves (if any) and any underdeveloped side branches- no later than day 21 of 12/12.

I generally only veg for 4 weeks (from seed) and with my method of topping/pruning, my plants stay relatively small. Plants this grow ranged from 10.75" for a MoneyMaker to 19.75" for a Blue Dream.

I've decided to try it differently for the next grow. Meaning, I'll wait until there's 10-12 true nodes before topping and will go easier on the LST'ing. I may even veg a little longer to get more height/bulk.

I'm curious: for those who grow monster bushes with a dozen or more colas, how long do you typically veg?

I do all of my trimming in veg, I dont do any trimming in budd,  I take my clones and do all trimming about 2 wks before i put it into budd!

I dont trim any popcorn budds, not even lately as im taking a break from growing, I get full plants from my c.g about every 6 to 8 wks, all of my popcorn budds become cannabutter with the sugar leaf!

Peace