Getting M.m Permit And Losing My Privacy Rights.

Having multiple medical conditions and being taken off all meds. earlier this year I made the choice to obtain my license. I have a couple plants in my vegat able garden at my very rural home that you can't see from the road.2 days ago I had a visit from an all black helecopter. It was here for 5 to 10 minutes hovering over me and my garden at very low altitude, doors open and believe ta king photo's. It tramatized my peafowl and although my neighbors aren't close I am quite sure they saw this. They also came back 4 hours later for another shorter visit. I have children and yes I wanted to grow a couple plants inconspicuously. I have lived here 23 years and never saw this kind of helecopter before. I feel my 4th amended rights to privacy have been violated! Along with my hippa medical rights to privacy. I decided to go the legal route and now everyone in a 1/4 mile radias probably knows . Now I have to worry about being ripped off. I called a lawyer,because I am sure now I am on some police list and I feel violated, I thought they would be coming because the plants were not properly housed, I was scared. I live n the middle of no where ,I have no criminal record, I have worked hard my whole life, I pay taxes,and this is bs. I regret going legal

It is likely they discovered your plants just by observing.  Maybe because of the heat/drought they are out looking for growers tending/watering?

Just guessing of course but it seems that they took pictures to prove that, even if you were a patient, you did not have your garden enclosed.  That may become the problem.   Probably wise of you to contact a lawyer. 

Hopefully, you will just get a stern warning.  You may want to consider enclosing it now just so you can say that you are trying to comply.  Best of luck

Having multiple medical conditions and being taken off all meds. earlier this year I made the choice to obtain my license. I have a couple plants in my vegat able garden at my very rural home that you can't see from the road.2 days ago I had a visit from an all black helecopter. It was here for 5 to 10 minutes hovering over me and my garden at very low altitude, doors open and believe ta king photo's. It tramatized my peafowl and although my neighbors aren't close I am quite sure they saw this. They also came back 4 hours later for another shorter visit. I have children and yes I wanted to grow a couple plants inconspicuously. I have lived here 23 years and never saw this kind of helecopter before. I feel my 4th amended rights to privacy have been violated! Along with my hippa medical rights to privacy. I decided to go the legal route and now everyone in a 1/4 mile radias probably knows . Now I have to worry about being ripped off. I called a lawyer,because I am sure now I am on some police list and I feel violated, I thought they would be coming because the plants were not properly housed, I was scared. I live n the middle of no where ,I have no criminal record, I have worked hard my whole life, I pay taxes,and this is bs. I regret going legal

I'd yank 'em out of the ground after dark and dispose of them somewhere where no one could ever find them.  Photos of suspected plants likely won't be enough for a conviction without lab tests.  If LEO shows up, you have a garden.  You weed it from time to time.  You have no idea what they think they saw.  Good luck.

As far as a violation of HIPPA rights to privacy, I'm not sure how HIPPA applies here.  A plant in your yard doesn't provide any information about your medical records. 

You say you regret going legal but truth is you did not go legal, you went about as illegal as you possibly could when you decided to put plants out without an enclosure.

Right On

The whole story is dubious but it reminded me, I need to pick up some tinfoil.

Edited by beourbud

While I think you should have been within your human rights to grow some cannabis among your veggies in the open air, my opinion is not shared with law enforcement.  ignoring growing rules gets you exactly what you've got now, and maybe more to come. I wish you would have read and understood and heeded the legal warnings widely available to avoid the possible issues facing your and your family right now. Did you actually think that the card was enough "cover" for your outdoor grow?  why did you forgo the outdoor growing rules in the first place?

I wish the best to you and yours, and advise ridding your property of any growing cannabis at once.

I don't think they were just randomly flying at 50 feet with a camera and just happened to stumble apon my 2 plants in my garden. I feel it was an illegal search of my property. My 2 garden plants were properly housed with in 2 hours of the 1st time they came. What next.... am I going to get pulled over on my way to work because I have MM permit? It's a waste of tax dollars. There are people dying of heroin overdoses every day, people being robbed and shot, there is real crime all over. I have had multiple surgeries in the last 2 years, lost 1/2 my digestive system and have kidney failure I can't take medications now, so I thought doing this could be a good legal option. I didn't realize that when I obtained a MM permit that I was going to be treated like a drug dealer. Next time they come I am going to take pictures of them. I checked out the FFA altitude rules, unfortunately the rules for helecopter appear to be a gray area, but the literature I found sayes they can't damage your property and it suggested they can't fly below 350 ft. but ultimately the altitude they fly at is up to the administrator. They damaged the corn in my garden and tramatized my birds.

I don't think they were just randomly flying at 50 feet with a camera and just happened to stumble apon my 2 plants in my garden. I feel it was an illegal search of my property. My 2 garden plants were properly housed with in 2 hours of the 1st time they came. What next.... am I going to get pulled over on my way to work because I have MM permit? It's a waste of tax dollars. There are people dying of heroin overdoses every day, people being robbed and shot, there is real crime all over. I have had multiple surgeries in the last 2 years, lost 1/2 my digestive system and have kidney failure I can't take medications now, so I thought doing this could be a good legal option. I didn't realize that when I obtained a MM permit that I was going to be treated like a drug dealer. Next time they come I am going to take pictures of them. I checked out the FFA altitude rules, unfortunately the rules for helecopter appear to be a gray area, but the literature I found sayes they can't damage your property and it suggested they can't fly below 350 ft. but ultimately the altitude they fly at is up to the administrator. They damaged the corn in my garden and tramatized my birds.

very strange....I wonder if they were just scaring you(taunting?) maybe urging you to cover it up, I dunno. good luck with the whole rules and rights thing.

It is stressful for sure, and makes me feel strange too sometimes, like :why did I ever register in the first place, just to grow a few for me and in the back yard and hide my smoking habit?? really? for all bs stress....but on the other hand it is getting better every day I think. yes our rights are trampled, but .....only a small percent are ever policed still....so registering has, imo, provided me and people I know with protections. I see a local sheriff talking ot an outdoor grower down the road suggesting he cover it up, instead of arresting him....I smile.

I hope this just goes away. I believe you did the right thing, cross your t's, maybe put a mj lawyer on retainer, or not, and follow ALL of the rules from here on . this might just go away.

good luck!

what county?

I feel it was an illegal search of my property.

i am not sure of the case law, but it seems like helicopter spying flights have been challenged before, but the govt wins those cases. they have the right to fly over your property to look for plants.

dont shoot me, i just live here.

I didn't realize that when I obtained a MM permit that I was going to be treated like a drug dealer.

there is a 99% chance that this was a random flyover and you got unlucky. you say there were no copters over your house before, its possible they did flyovers with regular airplanes (or even drones) , and the heliocopter was just a 2nd flyover after the first flyover determined areas to get closer inspections....

i would say there is only a 1% chance that they knew you were a mm patient and they went looking at your plants specifically.

to put it another way, the mm patient registry is confidential and the only way they can look at it is with specific court orders for specific people. no one has blanket access to the registry that we know of. so far....

most people who get busted are turned in to the police by a friend, family member, neighbor, jogger, hunter, or passerby. police usually do trashpulls to see if they find marijuana plants in your trash. so if you have trash pickup, dont toss out marijuana stuff, maybe put notes in there for the police that you are a registered patient haha.

here is some history on flyovers, in case you were unaware. its been going on since the 70s...

this is an article from the freep, but the url is dead now

The Michigan State Police conducted cannabis searches from the air Monday in Livingston County.

An official with the Brighton post confirmed that a helicopter conducted the searches in various areas, including the Deerfield, Handy and Cohoctah townships areas, where area residents also reported seeing a low-flying helicopter doing a figure-8 pattern.

Whether any marijuana was found or arrests were made was not immediately available Monday.

The search is funded through a federal program — Domestic Cannabis Eradication/Suppression Program (DCE/SP) — administered by the Drug Enforcement Administration, which provides funding to states in support of marijuana-eradication programs.

The DCE/SP began funding eradication programs in Hawaii and California in 1979 and it rapidly expanded to include programs in 25 states by 1982. By 1985, all 50 states were participating in the DCE/SP.

In 2012, the program was responsible for the eradication of nearly 49,000 cultivated plants from indoor and outdoor growing operations in Michigan, according to DEA statistics.

In addition, the DCE/SP’s Michigan program included 406 arrests and the seizure in excess of $1.02 million in cultivator assets. The program also removed 283 weapons from cannabis cultivators.

I understood the laws I didn't want visitors to my home to know about these plants..now that they are properly enclosed there is absolutely no doubt what they are. You are right I should have been following the law and they should have come with a search warrant if they wanted to see my plants. I have a large private property and the plants were concealed among my squash, corn and raspberries......I am so insignificant in marijuana world. I have spoke with an attorney and have been reassured that probably nothing will happen, I still feel it was a violation of my 4th amendment rights and in my research I came across this blog and wondered if anyone else was experiencing this situation. I don't posess any useable marijuana at this time. I thought they might come and seize my plants but it hasn't happened yet.